Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 663545 times)

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-33
« Reply #2145 on: November 03, 2015, 02:21:41 pm »

Great Googling Gobbos! A story-based thread that hasnt decayed into nothingness? COUNT ME IN.
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: November 03, 2015, 03:59:06 pm »

Be advised that the update schedule is a touch on the slow side...

I am still uncertain about what we should do with the forest. It seems within the realm of possibility that Fale is The Curse, they both appear to be ancient necromancers, or Fale could be the the force animating the skeletal monstrosity that, umm, it is the old elven lands that are now a blighted wasteland? That thing was meant to have lasted way too long to be conventional necromancy, and it looks like Balkoth found a way to make necromantic effects last, well, ludicrously long times, and the forest one seems to have some capacity for communication. Honestly, I am inclined to go visit it, it seems like it would be lonely as much as anything, and, well, completely insane, but when you have basically been an forest spirit that must sustain itself through cannibalism for a thousand years... But honestly, it was probably some enthusiastic, but politically awkward necromancer that was converted into some sort of magic spell and then basically abandoned...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: November 03, 2015, 07:29:54 pm »

Personally, i suggest we experiment more. I mean, right now the only person to have any sort of combat usefulness is Omo, and hes basically walking around woth a stick. If we plan to confront these necromancers, we should have some sort of magical backup plan. Since earlier on the chat was suggesting we go with a Golem-based Necro, i say we continue experimenting with this. I also say we stay away from zombies for now. If a villager sees a golem, theyll probably think its a rock elemental or maybe just another form of hybrid. I also think we should research more into souls, as thats most likely what we need for our golems. HOWEVER we definitely dont want to extract a random persons soul. That would be bad. I propose the following
 Combat Necromancy: Could we drain the vitality from someone in the midst of a battle? Do we need to focus solely on the magic or can we have a Vampiric Hand? How fast can we perform this action? [/b]

Dis be the wise words of Porkins,
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 11:11:13 am by LordPorkins »
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: November 04, 2015, 12:59:34 am »

Off the cuff, but what if M is a parasite deity that's taken the place of the real Necromancy god, twisting necromancy into something evil, and it's the real god who's trying to contact us with those invisible text messages?

Perhaps M is an alternative god whose worship was ushered in by Balkoth, driving the more conservative gods of Necromancy to near-death through faith starvation even before the Golgothans lost the war. I think that syvarris was on to something when he speculated M was the driving force behind the warlike nature that necromancers seem to default to; giving in to M seems like an incredibly bad idea.

I vote for more stalling in the dreamscape via mining for more info about the Necromancy pantheon.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: November 05, 2015, 10:55:40 am »

Off the cuff, but what if M is a parasite deity that's taken the place of the real Necromancy god, twisting necromancy into something evil, and it's the real god who's trying to contact us with those invisible text messages?

Perhaps M is an alternative god whose worship was ushered in by Balkoth, driving the more conservative gods of Necromancy to near-death through faith starvation even before the Golgothans lost the war. I think that syvarris was on to something when he speculated M was the driving force behind the warlike nature that necromancers seem to default to; giving in to M seems like an incredibly bad idea.

I vote for more stalling in the dreamscape via mining for more info about the Necromancy pantheon.

Uh. No. Whether this Necromancer-God is real or a substitute or dead is moot point. We know three things.

1) Its Evil, or at least it doesnt appear to follow rules like our own. Additionally, we have no idea what its motives (if any) are. Its unpredictable, and that makes it dangerous. Theres no way we could safely approach it

2)  Its much, much, MUCH more powerful than us. I mean, its a god. As long as we stay out of dream-land, it really cant influence us much. Other than necromancers, it doesnt have that much contact woth the real world (i hope)

3) If we are in a dream, we have zero help. Unless we find some sort of elven voodoo doctor *sneakily elbows monk12* who could help us, wed be taking on a god and whatever fiendish apparations he brought with him. Or maybe Eko could join us if he probes pur thoughts. Or maybe hed see Ms real form. I dunno, but the possibilities are quite intriguing

Then again, we could just YOLO the hell out of this, but at the very least we'd want to have Eko to shake us awake if we start chanting the instructions for artifact mug crafting or whatever

Edit: Get out now, then consider options. Theres no way this is gonna go well of we are unprepared. Say you want to think on it and tell them to come back tommorow (sleeping). Also say you arent doing anything till Omos safe. Your a necromancer. This is like a very rare oppurtunity for them. They'll probably listen to your (reasonable) demands. We are gonna have to confront them, but get out for now. Think of this Freddy-Krueger style. Falling asleep randomly=Bloody Evisceration, Trying to stay awake= Delaying of Inevitable, Going in with knives (Like the chick in the third one) and since we arent addicted to heroin, well be be relatively ok.

Edit-Edit: Always listen to voices in your head. Totally good idea. Seriously, lets go with this guy on this one. But we need a name for him. I vote for "Li'l Buddy"
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 11:53:21 am by LordPorkins »
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: November 05, 2015, 01:59:41 pm »

I still think we should stall, trying to look like we're considering joining M.  Of course, actually doing so is a really bad idea, but as long as Fail thinks we're considering it, it's more likely to help us and give us information about necromancy.  Right now, information is extremely valuable to us--remember, we're trying to save Omo's life, here.

I don't think staying in the dreamscape and talking wil be harmful in itself, because Buddy said that M couldn't keep us away forever.  That implies that Buddy will win, as long as we don't do anything stupid.  Currently, we can't be certain that we want Buddy to win, but it seems like a fair bet considering how openly manipulative Fale is.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2151 on: November 05, 2015, 05:06:43 pm »

I don't know if anyone has suggested that, I don't have time to read back and I don't remember what happened very well but
I say listen to the voice. Try to find a way to escape and contact it. There must be a way out of here. Maybe there is a way to use necromancy to manipulate the "dangerous" ceiling?

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: November 05, 2015, 08:36:59 pm »

@Parisbre56
 it seems unlikely that we would be able to do anything at all to the ceiling. I mean, its not dead/alive. Additionally, this entire realm/dream/scape/thingy is probably maintained by Fale or possibly M, and we really cant do much against them as i said earlier. However, examining your surroundings is a good idea. Try looking at your surroundings, using Necromantic sight as well as Detect Magic. For that matter, can you even cast spells? We should try that.
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: November 05, 2015, 08:52:16 pm »

If this was created by a necromancer/necromancy god then it stands to reason that its substance is malleable to necromantic forces. Whether we have the force or knowledge necessary to do so is another question. And maybe this is made by something else, perhaps the overgods granted everyone a private chatroom, or perhaps this was the old elven hivemind and Balkoth busted in, killed everyone, and said "mine now"...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: November 05, 2015, 10:23:02 pm »

Probing the simulation with Arosh while our mind is still inside of it is probably not the best idea.

Thinking about it more though, I wonder if we could conduct the repair ourselves. I'm not decided enough to cast a vote on it, but there might be something to it. Fale doesn't know what we're up to, and he had this to say about the process:

"Yeah, fine, Arosh, whatever." You reply impatiently. "So you just have to duplicate the Unolwhatever with Arosh and you're good to go, then?"
   "Oh my no." Fale shakes his head. "That's half the work. Once you've contained the Unolnimar, you need to mind where it connects to the rest of the host's Vitality or else it won't be able to interface with your host, and if you really screw up it could be rejected. And that's just to get it into your chosen host; it would take years of practice to master all the little things you need to do to keep control of the soul, or to do anything useful with it." Fale smiles, snapping his figures. "Luckily for you, though, you're talking to Moark's representative on Urak! I can help you join with Moark, and then he will be able to act through you to do... whatever thing it is you want to accomplish. He can make sure everything turns out exactly the way you want it, and he'll keep you from making a hash of the job."

We don't need to take control of Omo's soul or turn it to our own twisted ends, so modifying the Unolnimar isn't necessary like it probably would be if we wanted to "do something useful with it." The Unolnimar is already contained for us as well, in the bag of energy the construct is carrying it in. It probably isn't going anywhere. We can presumably use Arosh to move that bag around, with a rope structure like the construct did. If we can move the whole setup back into place, we could try to piece it back together by finding the largest and most obvious connections, then matching the rest gradually. Assuming it's kept its original conformation, the main problem we'll run into having enough mana and focus to piece it all back together without letting anything get loose or crossed up. If it did lose its shape when the construct grabbed it we'll be in for a much rougher time, and it probably isn't worth the risk of trying ourselves.

In either case, Eko might also be able to help us. He did talk about mages cooperating to accomplish complicated or expensive spells. Doing that would also almost certainly reveal to him that we're a necromancer. That might be something to consider, but it's a risk.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: November 05, 2015, 10:44:09 pm »

((PTW.  Good grief.  I have an archive binge to plan.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: November 05, 2015, 10:53:07 pm »

There is also the chance of getting the curse to help us. It did seem to be issuing an invitation, and it stands to reason that its programming would allow it to make contact with a necromancer. It is entirely possible that it is one of Balkoth's underlings forcibly trapped in a restrictive magical construct and just wants something to change. It may do the classic begging for death thing or maybe it just wants someone to talk to, or it may even be looking to new instructions and wants us to prove ourselves as Balkoth's replacement. There are many scenarios in which it intends to trap us forever, possibly involving the repurposing of our vitality, but it is probably the best expert in Urak on what exactly happened to Omo... And it could even be Fale...
Read the First Post!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: November 06, 2015, 12:38:23 am »

There is also the chance of getting the curse to help us. It did seem to be issuing an invitation, and it stands to reason that its programming would allow it to make contact with a necromancer. It is entirely possible that it is one of Balkoth's underlings forcibly trapped in a restrictive magical construct and just wants something to change. It may do the classic begging for death thing or maybe it just wants someone to talk to, or it may even be looking to new instructions and wants us to prove ourselves as Balkoth's replacement. There are many scenarios in which it intends to trap us forever, possibly involving the repurposing of our vitality, but it is probably the best expert in Urak on what exactly happened to Omo... And it could even be Fale...

It did invite us, didn't it. It practically gave us an engraved invitation. I guess we should end our conversation with Fale for now, politely declining his offer for now but leaving our options open. In the morning, try to find the gnarled tree from the construct's memory. Letting the construct loose and following it would be probably be best, since it's still carrying Omo's soul around and probably knows where it's going.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: November 06, 2015, 01:50:38 am »

I want to keep Omo in one place. Honestly, we are in it pretty deep, confessing to Eko is kinf of tempting, especially to a young elf who may have just gotten their best friend killed...
Read the First Post!

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: November 06, 2015, 05:38:13 am »

He's going to find out eventually, and it's better to tell him directly than let him figure it out himself. We probably should be a mite bit more careful with this than the last time we told somebody, though.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 155