Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 664209 times)

lockman766

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail Random
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer!
« Reply #270 on: January 08, 2012, 02:33:38 am »

We should avoid mentioning specific types ourself; we should just ask what kind of things the necromancer is using.

>Golems
The bane of the undead is that which never lived.
A golem has no blood to infect, steal, or spill. It has no flesh that can be ripped or guts that can be torn by human hands. If only falls by being torn apart by extreme force, and when it does it leaves no corpse to easily raise.

(We do, however, have to beware the enemy necromancer himself screwing around with our golem(s).)
I could get behind this.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 08, 2012, 02:34:26 am »

If golems have souls, then that makes zombies the more ethical option, magic involving dead bodies isn't actually evil.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

lockman766

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail Random
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 08, 2012, 02:37:10 am »

If golems have souls, then that makes zombies the more ethical option, magic involving dead bodies isn't actually evil.
Yeah I honestly don't think they have souls. So I think I can safely say were good on that department. though that probably won't stop us from getting attached to them.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 08, 2012, 03:03:41 am »

Yeah I honestly don't think they have souls. So I think I can safely say were good on that department. though that probably won't stop us from getting attached to them.
Perhaps attachment to golems is how the other necromancers went evil.

lockman766

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail Random
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 08, 2012, 03:10:41 am »

Ah,but maybe lack of will did it. That's also assuming they went the golem route. Maybe the undead route can corrupt without the proper will power.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 08, 2012, 03:48:40 am »

Ah,but maybe lack of will did it. That's also assuming they went the golem route. Maybe the undead route can corrupt without the proper will power.
That's entirely possible.

lockman766

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail Random
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 08, 2012, 03:52:54 am »

That's entirely possible.
Then again the power, and the stigma of it could have made them evil, or they could have been assholes to begin with...Sometimes the simplest answer is the correct one.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 08, 2012, 04:17:35 am »

Or they could have gone mad with power .. its always the simple answers. Necromancy doesn't make you evil the caster makes Necromancy evil. Necromancy didn't exist simply to become a way for never-ending war did it?

lockman766

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail Random
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 08, 2012, 04:23:17 am »

Or they could have gone mad with power .. its always the simple answers. Necromancy doesn't make you evil the caster makes Necromancy evil. Necromancy didn't exist simply to become a way for never-ending war did it?
Them be some heavy words, true as well :-\.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 08, 2012, 04:41:48 am »

Anyhow, I think we should avoid the zombie route as much as we can, if only to distinguish ourselves once we are discovered. Even using animal parts in our golems should be avoided, until we establish that an entirely inorganic golem isn't possible. Right now, I'm thinking elementals. fire, water, earth, and air.

Like we tried to be the ropeman when we raised our first golem, we can try to be the earth when we make a clay or earthen golem, try to be the fire as we watch an enchanted flame, be the water as we cup enchanted water, be the air as we hold it in a flask. maybe even carve an ice-man if we ever make it into the mountains. maybe we'll learn something from the "natural" side of necromancy.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 08, 2012, 04:46:54 am »

This seems like a worthwhile course of investigation.

We should find out if there were necromancers before the war. Is it something that has always been around in secret, or did it come into being at that time?

lockman766

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail Random
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 08, 2012, 04:51:23 am »

Anyhow, I think we should avoid the zombie route as much as we can, if only to distinguish ourselves once we are discovered. Even using animal parts in our golems should be avoided, until we establish that an entirely inorganic golem isn't possible. Right now, I'm thinking elementals. fire, water, earth, and air.

Like we tried to be the ropeman when we raised our first golem, we can try to be the earth when we make a clay or earthen golem, try to be the fire as we watch an enchanted flame, be the water as we cup enchanted water, be the air as we hold it in a flask. maybe even carve an ice-man if we ever make it into the mountains. maybe we'll learn something from the "natural" side of necromancy.
from what I can tell creating a completely inorganic golem is possible with the alter golem spell. we just have to create everything from necromantic energy. what I meant in animal part's being easier it was because it would take less mana to create parts, because the parts are already there.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 08, 2012, 05:06:01 am »

from what I can tell creating a completely inorganic golem is possible with the alter golem spell. we just have to create everything from necromantic energy. what I meant in animal part's being easier it was because it would take less mana to create parts, because the parts are already there.

I wonder if thats true... Would raising the golem have taken the same strain were its head loop removed?

I pose a possible experiment:

try raising:

-Crayfish with head

-Crayfish with no head

-Crayfish with earthen/clay head

-Crayfish with rope/wood head

-Crayfish with meat/bone head

lockman766

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail Random
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 08, 2012, 05:08:30 am »

I wonder if thats true... Would raising the golem have taken the same strain were its head loop removed?

I pose a possible experiment:

try raising:

-Crayfish with head

-Crayfish with no head

-Crayfish with earthen/clay head

-Crayfish with rope/wood head

-Crayfish with meat/bone head
You remember that ant from way back when?

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 08, 2012, 05:56:22 am »

You remember that ant from way back when?
Yep. The question, though, is whether giving the ant a prosthetic head would have made a difference.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 155