Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 663571 times)

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer!
« Reply #345 on: January 10, 2012, 11:29:31 pm »

I'm torn between going right away, and waiting for the council :(.

I'm leaning towards waiting for more information, and leaving in as organized a manner as possible. We should ask Omo Grylls what his plan was, and what supplies we should need. Ask him what news he has on the necromancers. Also go around town, asking about the necromancer and his army. See if you can gather as much info as possible. Ask someone about the making of mana potions. We need to find that out.

As far as we've seen, elves, though magical, are not psychic. we don't need to be exceedingly paranoid.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 10, 2012, 11:40:14 pm »

We don't need to be exceedingly paranoid.
But we should be, just in case.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

lockman766

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail Random
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 11, 2012, 01:10:13 am »

If the third school of necromancy is so form of healing it would probably be more of a regeneration effect. We wouldn't be promoting new cells to form we would be essentially be bringing dead cells back by pumping vitality into them.   

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 11, 2012, 04:47:27 am »

waiting for the council

Solved for you :)

As far as we've seen, elves, though magical, are not psychic. we don't need to be exceedingly paranoid.

People think we are paranoid? we better do something about it or they'll guess we are hiding something ...
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 11, 2012, 10:42:17 am »

Once we do abstain from being here, we need to start practicing up a storm. First of all to level up, and to catch up to the other necros. They will have a HUGE head start on us and at one point we are gonna end up in a boss confrontation. Also we should use dead bodies as warriors, once we get to this point. While i get the moral problems, we have bigger ones. Namely 2 read it 2 rather large zombie armys to deal with.
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 11, 2012, 11:07:45 am »

Once we do abstain from being here, we need to start practicing up a storm. First of all to level up, and to catch up to the other necros. They will have a HUGE head start on us and at one point we are gonna end up in a boss confrontation. Also we should use dead bodies as warriors, once we get to this point. While i get the moral problems, we have bigger ones. Namely 2 read it 2 rather large zombie armys to deal with.

We have two advantages on them though; Firstly we are an elf and as such seem to have a higher level of magic than other races assuming this leads to us being potentially stronger than the other necromancers should help us. Secondly, and more importantly, noone knows about us which will allow us to choose when and how we confront them.

There is also a good chance they will end up focused on each other as neither information so far implies they are likely to work together.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 11, 2012, 11:10:41 am »

Or getting put down by the armies messing against them, or assassinated.

Among the questions we should ask is HOW they became so powerful - how did someone not get close enough to just kill them already?

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 11, 2012, 06:03:46 pm »

Or getting put down by the armies messing against them, or assassinated.

Among the questions we should ask is HOW they became so powerful - how did someone not get close enough to just kill them already?
We don't know how far you can control undead from. They could have stealthily built up a force of zombies, then locked them self in a nearby cellar while their undead assaulted the town. Nobody would know where to look, and if they did a heavy door would delay them long enough for zombie guards to catch up with them.

Hrm. We will have to search for a way to isolate one of our undead from our perception. We will need to experiment with controlling a hostile undead at some point, and we can't let the other necromancers know we are doing this.
Soaplent green is goblins!

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 11, 2012, 06:34:20 pm »

Another experiment that would be useful would be to check if we could Command another necromancers undead. Also, Monk are there active gods in this one?
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 11, 2012, 06:42:16 pm »

Another experiment that would be useful would be to check if we could Command another necromancers undead. Also, Monk are there active gods in this one?
Maybe we could go to that cursed place I've forgotten the name of and try to command one of the undead there. Should be easier since there's no one controlling them.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 11, 2012, 06:44:31 pm »

I have a feeling we'll need to experiment to find out if there are active gods, amirite? At least it seems like that should continue to be an unknown. We might ask around at some point, to get an idea of the religions of the region. The elves so far have seemed pretty secular to me. They treat the magic like a science.

If you could let us know about what our character knows about religions in the vale and outside, monk, that might be interesting.

Elvisdogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 11, 2012, 06:57:30 pm »

And also, are the undead self powered autonomous beings? Or are they under a sort of bond with the necromancer? Can they continue to exist if their creator were to die?
It was for a film project. I regret nothing.

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 11, 2012, 07:05:07 pm »

And also, are the undead self powered autonomous beings? Or are they under a sort of bond with the necromancer? Can they continue to exist if their creator were to die?
Let's not test this one on ourselves for quite some time. Also, if there are gods, us necros are probably going to fall under an evil one. Anyone thinking about becoming liches?  :D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 07:10:15 pm by joemoben »

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 11, 2012, 07:09:58 pm »

Let's not test this one on ourselves for quite some time. Also, if there are gods, we are probably going to fall under an evil one. Anyone thinking about becoming liches?  :D

I'd like to become a liche.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 11, 2012, 07:16:54 pm »

Short answer: Deities of various flavors are going concerns, but much less active than, say, Dungeons and Dragons- you know they exist, but what the extent of their power, influence, or plot significance is remains a mystery.

Longer answer: One of the tradeoffs for the Elven start choice (and its associated magicalness) is that you don't know much about the world at large- between the Elves' near brush with extinction (during which remembering how to farm and use magic at all was more pressing than preserving any Creation Mythos) and the Elven tendency to live in the present, You don't have that much knowledge on world religions.

You know that the Elves pay homage to Aye Valleymists, less a God than the guardian Spirit of the Walled Jungle (aka that forest you're walking around in.) It isn't so much worship as it is respect for a great Guardian of Life, but it's something. You know from listening to the merchants of the semiannual Caravan that Thrimesdur has a much more organized religious system, and that the cosmopolitan cities of the Jeweled Coast play host to a wide variety of theological beliefs and practices from across the world. You've got the vague idea that most religions advocate one of the Magical Faiths Pevo talked about a while back, but you aren't sure how accurate that is. What does that even mean, Magic is Magic and Faith is Faith, right? Something to look forward to.

Of slightly more immediate concern- Two in favor of leaving immediately, Two in favor of checking out the Caravan first for supplies and sticking around to hear the results of the Council (although I think lockman may be in the latter camp now.) Anywho, update will be up eventually. I'd say tomorrow, but every time I do say it something comes up and pushes it back another day or three :P
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 155