Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 656704 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer!
« Reply #435 on: January 20, 2012, 12:27:19 pm »

Okay, I'm coming down hard on the side of "forget about the amulet, get permission to leave, and get the fuck out of here". I have no interest in us staying at the fair for a week.

Go find and talk to Elena, then talk to our parents. Tomorrow, we ask for permission to leave, and after that, we leave (regardless of what they say).

They might also want to send us somewhere, but we'll deal with that when we come to it. For now, I say we head inland.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #436 on: January 20, 2012, 01:12:09 pm »

The amulet has nothing to do with it. If we start making purple flames erupt from a squirrel and have it run about with its purple flaming eyes to steal things from a crowded fairground which is likely to be guarded and/or still busy even late at night, someone might see. You know.. the purple flames. Coming from its eyes. :P

I understand the wish to attain the amulet. I share it. We have a plan which will result in attaining the amulet. Its not like we're in a hurry.

My point was more that so far it looks like the purple flames aren't seen by others. Not that I think the squirrel is worth the risk, but we should do something to test what people can see.
Where did you get the impression that the purple flames from Raise Dead aren't seen by others? The amulet wasn't giving off flames, it was registered as necromantic magic by our necromancer's sight.

lockman766

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail Random
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 20, 2012, 02:45:16 pm »

*Whistle* This tread got really active all of a sudden. 

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 20, 2012, 03:50:52 pm »

Okay, I'm coming down hard on the side of "forget about the amulet, get permission to leave, and get the fuck out of here". I have no interest in us staying at the fair for a week.

Go find and talk to Elena, then talk to our parents. Tomorrow, we ask for permission to leave, and after that, we leave (regardless of what they say).

They might also want to send us somewhere, but we'll deal with that when we come to it. For now, I say we head inland.
We already have permission to leave.
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 20, 2012, 04:02:51 pm »

We don't, actually.
And I'd like to add that not wanting to stick around for the end of the fair would be A] boring and B] screw us out of 15 gold.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #440 on: January 20, 2012, 04:31:09 pm »

We have an influential person requesting permission for us to leave, not actual permission.

Also we could probably pass the time exercising our mana pool by making these potions for sale later. We might get a max MP increase out of it and we'll have a stock of potions to sell or use. Assuming someone at the fair can sell the crystals. We should ask Pevo who his supplier is.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 20, 2012, 04:42:53 pm »

That is a decent point... it would be nice to start with some money and or mana potions, even if we only end up spending all the money on more crystals for later. We need to find out the availability of these things.

While we're doing that stuff, we should ask Omo to explore around and find out the best way to make our escape should the council say no - What's going on with the border? What are people doing and saying? What was his plan to escape?

But honestly, I think we should try to super-mooch off our mom, and buy the amulet outright. Ask her for money for the trip and say you'll send her back exotic trinkets, or something, whatever it takes, and don't tie ourselves to this foolish merchant.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 04:44:53 pm by GlyphGryph »

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 20, 2012, 05:51:11 pm »

We don't, actually.
And I'd like to add that not wanting to stick around for the end of the fair would be A] boring and B] screw us out of 15 gold.
Well dont i feel like an ass right about now. Sorry!
ALSO: MOOOOOCH. Not even specifically for the amulet. We are gonna need cash in the big wide world.
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 23, 2012, 04:12:06 am »

Where did you get the impression that the purple flames from Raise Dead aren't seen by others? The amulet wasn't giving off flames, it was registered as necromantic magic by our necromancer's sight.

Maybe I misread it but I understood them to be the same thing.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 23, 2012, 05:06:38 am »

I'm going with selling mana potions and going with the merchant.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 23, 2012, 06:22:39 am »

I'm going with selling mana potions and going with the merchant.
That is a decent point... it would be nice to start with some money and or mana potions, even if we only end up spending all the money on more crystals for later. We need to find out the availability of these things.

While we're doing that stuff, we should ask Omo to explore around and find out the best way to make our escape should the council say no - What's going on with the border? What are people doing and saying? What was his plan to escape?

But honestly, I think we should try to super-mooch off our mom, and buy the amulet outright. Ask her for money for the trip and say you'll send her back exotic trinkets, or something, whatever it takes, and don't tie ourselves to this foolish merchant.
We have an influential person requesting permission for us to leave, not actual permission.

Also we could probably pass the time exercising our mana pool by making these potions for sale later. We might get a max MP increase out of it and we'll have a stock of potions to sell or use. Assuming someone at the fair can sell the crystals. We should ask Pevo who his supplier is.
This.
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 23, 2012, 07:32:37 am »

It did have a purple glow over the symbols on it, if I remember correctly, though.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #447 on: January 23, 2012, 08:04:50 am »

We'll need to get clarification then as that is fairly important.

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 23, 2012, 08:41:29 am »

I just finished reading through this fantastic story and want to suggest some things:
First of all, we need to get the amulet! Afterall, where going to fight two necromancers, each with an army at their command. It couldn't hurt if we would have an artifact of power. Even if it proves to be rather worthless, we can still learn about necromancy by studying it. As mentioned before, we should try to get money from our mother, sell some mana potions and try to barter with the merchant.
Secondly, we need information. I'd propose that we go and talk to our mother and Elana (maybe we can find out more about necromantic artifacts, by the way) and meet the elders, but if they want us to go on a mission for them, try to reject. We don't want to have someone always looking over our shoulder.
I know that we want to go to the old elven homelands, but I'd suggest not to go there right now. We know that the elven homelands are infested with undead, and Thrimesdur is at war with a powerful necromancer. We should avoid this place for the moment. We should rather go with the caravan to the Jeweled Coast. If we join the caravan, I guess we are safe from the hazards in the jungle. Also, the necromancer from the Jeweled coast doesn't seem as powerful as Nightroars (most of his army is composed of pirates and mercenaries, instead of undead). We also know that Nightroars is clearly evil, while the necromancer of the Jeweled Coast seems to be more of a powerful bandit lord.

Therefore I would suggest this (in no particular order):

- Get money (from our parents, from selling mana potions)
- Talk to the merchant and try to bargain for the amulet
- Visit our mother and Elana, getting as much informations as possible
- Meeting the Elders, but reject any mission they want to give to us
- Joining the caravan to the Jeweled Coast

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 23, 2012, 11:31:45 pm »

It did have a purple glow over the symbols on it, if I remember correctly, though.

Apologies, they are in fact different things- due to poor planning on my part, they both happen to be purple :P

The purple flames are a specific side effect of the Raise Dead spell, for undisclosed reasons. They are quite visible to Muggles, and shed visible light (so yeah, you could use them as weird-ass torches.)

Necromantic Energy is considerably more intricate, and is present throughout the whatever-it-is that's been infused by Necromancy. It glows, but is only visible to you and your Necromantic Sight (and, if this amulet is any indication, anybody else with Necromantic Sight.) It does not shed light and is invisible to non-Necromancers. Looking back, "blaze" was a poor word choice for the amulet- I meant that the glow was very intense. It does not appear as flames. There is actually more to your Necromantic Sight than has yet been revealed, mostly because circumstances have put a brief hold on your experimenting.

Anywho, my many-days-in-a-row of work are over, so tomorrow we'll be getting back on track. It looks like the immediate votes are for "Meet with Omo, compare notes, get him to gather travel info," "MOOOOOCH," and "Thrimesdur and points East." This makes your meeting with the merchant less about traveling with him, and more about making money (hopefully enough for the amulet outright.)
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 155