Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 662292 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer!
« Reply #480 on: January 26, 2012, 08:36:13 am »

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 26, 2012, 09:59:00 am »

I'd say we shouldn't. The amulet might not be worth half of our wages in the end. It's quite clear not of dwarven make, of unknown age, unknown origin, unknown quality (to him), etc.

Instead, mooch dear mother: "Mother, I was hoping I could get one piece of jewelry from one of the traders but I don't have the money for it right now. Please? Pleaaaseeee? I'll even make some mana potions later for you as repayment.

Also, experiments in no particular order:

Somewhere, maybe after you go back to fishing, try extinguish vitality, similalry to how you drain it, but after you feel it, try to destroy it, or simply let it go uncontroled, instead of trying to bound and control it. It might be easier compared to actually draining it.

and

Find or make some moldy bread. Try to drain or extinguish vitality only in the mold. Try to make the bread good again. Eventually try to do the same with a sick tree, fish and etc again. See if you can deal with parasites this way.

And to finish something to consider:

If we get stuck in the vale, eventually start raising one tree and some random animals somewhere very isolated, with the excuse you are looking for other fishing holes. The animals you tell them to simply randomly "scout" the vale, carefully avoiding any elf or human. Eventually "find" the tree (it might be better if you raise the tree last and "find" it as soon as you raise it), and run as fast as you can to the nearest settlement, and tell that you found a very strange tree burning in a purple light (how could you possibly know it was necromancy after all?). When/if they identify it as necromancy, it's a good argument to the council unseal the vale, after all seems some necromancer already got it, and it might be good to have elves outside trying to gather information. With some luck the undead animals you raised will be occasionally found every now and then much after you left the vale and reduce suspicion of you.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #482 on: January 26, 2012, 10:20:08 am »

I'd say we shouldn't. The amulet might not be worth half of our wages in the end. It's quite clear not of dwarven make, of unknown age, unknown origin, unknown quality (to him), etc.
It wouldn't be worth the wages to other people, true. It is an object of necromantic power though and likely worth far more than the asking price to us.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 26, 2012, 10:21:06 am »

It wouldn't be worth the wages to other people, true. It is an object of necromantic power though and likely worth far more than the asking price to us.
Maybe. But he don't know that. :P
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #484 on: January 26, 2012, 10:26:38 am »

Maybe. But he don't know that. :P
I know... that is my point. We won't make nearly enough to buy the amulet for his asking price just from making these potions. He may be willing to simply exchange it for the work on the potions and pocket all of the profit from them rather than paying us. We would get far more value from that deal than selling the potions through him, and he would think he is taking advantage of us a bit by giving us a trinket which is likely too valuable to sell here anyway for some merchandise which is guaranteed to move.

We could feed him a line of crap about how elves are not inherently materialistic people and we would much prefer to barter our skill for the amulet than for less useful coinage. He'd think we're mad of course, merchants are always focused on the coin.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 26, 2012, 10:56:38 am »

On the other hand, if we do that we are not getting the coin we'd need to prepare to travel. Maybe we could negotiate with him paying a much smaller wage (maybe 15-10 sp per potion?) instead of not paying us at all.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #486 on: January 26, 2012, 10:58:28 am »

On the other hand, if we do that we are not getting the coin we'd need to prepare to travel. Maybe we could negotiate with him paying a much smaller wage (maybe 15-10 sp per potion?) instead of not paying us at all.
We'll be traveling with a ranger who can provide food and build small shelters. I don't really think we need that much raw coinage really, and we can try to work a few crystals into the deal instead so we can make potions as we go to pay for things.

I just think the amulet is more important than some coin, and we won't earn enough to purchase it unless we stay for weeks making potions.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 26, 2012, 05:02:27 pm »

We'll be traveling with a ranger who can provide food and build small shelters. I don't really think we need that much raw coinage really, and we can try to work a few crystals into the deal instead so we can make potions as we go to pay for things.

I just think the amulet is more important than some coin, and we won't earn enough to purchase it unless we stay for weeks making potions.
It will take four weeks and raise Omo's suspicions (who works for four weeks for one piece of jewellery?). I think we should just go with mooching of our parents and trying to haggle the merchant down.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #488 on: January 26, 2012, 05:59:43 pm »

It will take four weeks and raise Omo's suspicions (who works for four weeks for one piece of jewellery?). I think we should just go with mooching of our parents and trying to haggle the merchant down.
What will take four weeks? I didn't say anything about extending our time here.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 26, 2012, 06:08:54 pm »

What will take four weeks? I didn't say anything about extending our time here.
Raising the money for the medallion at the current pay rate/price (100gp/3.6gp = 27.7 days) and would probably require travelling with the merchant. (Wasn't the caravan going to leave in five days?)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 26, 2012, 06:10:18 pm »

Forsaken was arguing we should try to barter for the amulet by forgoing payment, not that we should save up for four weeks.

His argument was that we didn't need the money, so we should just try to trade directly for the amulet.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 26, 2012, 06:10:40 pm »

Maybe.

We shouldn't worry about the amulet. Its out of our price range, and any action will begin suspicion. We should just leave it, as we don't even know what it does, and its best to see how all our necromancy acts 'normally'.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 26, 2012, 06:19:52 pm »

Forsaken was arguing we should try to barter for the amulet by forgoing payment, not that we should save up for four weeks.

His argument was that we didn't need the money, so we should just try to trade directly for the amulet.
Isn't that effectively the same as bargaining the merchant down and saving up for it, as far as time and effort go?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 26, 2012, 06:37:00 pm »

Step 1: Make potions, tell him he can pay you later.
Step 2: Engineer a theft or accident which will prevent him from having any money to pay you with.
Step 3: Offer to take the amulet instead.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #494 on: January 26, 2012, 07:03:05 pm »

Isn't that effectively the same as bargaining the merchant down and saving up for it, as far as time and effort go?
No... did you read what I posted? I said we should offer to take the amulet in lieu of payment for the work we are already committed to doing. Nowhere did I say we should stay for another month to save up money.

Consider this: It is a 'dwarven' amulet according to him with a very high value. He is GUESSING. He had no idea what the value is, he just knows that it is probably rare and is quite pretty. This is what is known as speculation, and its unreliable. He doesn't know if he can sell the amulet for the price he quoted... or for any price. It could turn out to be worthless, in fact. He obviously hasn't had it appraised or he wouldn't call it dwarven. He may be willing to give it to us in trade for some goods (high capacity potions which we are already making) which he knows WILL sell. It is trading speculative value for real hard currency, and most merchants care more about the currency. Inventory is not money until it is sold, after all. You could have the rarest most valuable object in the kingdom but if nobody wants to buy it, it can't pay for your breakfast.

We're planning to stay for 5 days and make potions each day. He will be giving us 36 silver (or 3.6 gold) per potion which totals to 18 gold. That is the lion's share of the profit from the endeavor and I'm willing to bet he'd be eager to recoup that loss by trading us an amulet which may or may not ever be sold.

Regardless, I DO NOT think we should stay here for a month. I don't know where that came from or why people keep repeating it but its a bad idea in my opinion.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 155