Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 663849 times)

yourfears

• Bay Watcher
  • immortalis redundus
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer!
« Reply #600 on: February 25, 2012, 06:23:35 pm »

When we leave we need to head straight for our old homeland, if we can break whatever curse is on the land we can prove that we can return to the Elves, and openly say we are a Necromancer. Plus I have a feeling there is something of power in there we will need if we want to beat the other Necromancer's. That skeletal monstrosity is obviously a golem of some sort, and whatever is keeping it alive is what we need.
While I do agree with eventually going for our homeland let's think about this its a barren wasteland with nothing besides that giant monstrosity which could probably tear us in half in under a second. We have no way of knowing how to remove the curse not to mention it was placed by a much stronger necromancer than us and even trying to do so would likely end up killing us. I suggest going through the jeweled coast and rounding about the edge towards the homeland. It's probably much less dangerous to go through that route than to head straight through a country that has a giant undead army breathing down its neck. Although I do agree with breaking the curse and using that as a opportunity to openly state that we are a necromancer.

we have managed to raise a few bugs and fish. and make a rock and tree glow the odds of us winning a fight with the super skeleton arent very likely unless we pull a brilliant idea out of nowhere.
that said i imagine we could steal its vitality and it would collapse but who knows how much s monster like that has. we may even learn a thing or 2 if we survive. might be a bit difficult to explain to our companion how we just stared down a monster and it fell apart tho.

i realize this post is me sort of arguing with myself,

simply put the pirate necromancer is probably the safer route but the cremated empire is in a war with an undead horde we could probably learn a thing or 2 from any fallen corpses from a different necromancer.
voice of evil reason

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 25, 2012, 06:28:12 pm »

What you didn't pay attention to
That skeletal monstrosity is obviously a golem of some sort, and whatever is keeping it alive is what we need.

A spell, and creature of that magnitude have to have something powering them, and whatever is strong enough to power spells of that strength is most definitely an artifact of some sort. We need to find this artifact first, if we head through the Jeweled Coast we will be spotted by the Pirate King (Remember Other Necromancers can since our magic, and if he is strong enough to be the Pirate King he will find us. We can't risk that) It would be far easier to just head towards our old homeland at full speed. The human armies should keep that Necromancer busy enough that we can go in there, grab the artifact, break the spell, and then return to demolish the Necromancer's army.

Also since the monstrosity is obviously necromantic, and it has no owner, we may be able to bend it to our will, and make it ours. Along the way we can make several golems to fend it off in case we do need to run, or need cover.

yourfears

• Bay Watcher
  • immortalis redundus
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 25, 2012, 07:11:40 pm »

i may have missed something but i don't recall golems and raised dead losing their vitality over time. it may be just as strong as it was when 1st created. one can as you have that its artifact powered but it is just an assumption untill proven. for all we know the cursed land itself could be powering it, but a game with no risk is no fun so go for it and pray our gm had the same artifact power plant idea you did.

wow i came off as an ass in that.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 07:13:20 pm by yourfears »
voice of evil reason

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 25, 2012, 07:54:07 pm »

First order of business:
Yay! Truth be told, this is about what I wanted to happen. The artifact is out of the hands of our likely enemies, and we may have just done a good turn for the elven defenses.

I think we are ready to leave. Get our potion payments, pack our bags, and head out - there is nothing holding us here, now. The world awaits us.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 25, 2012, 08:37:39 pm »

Alright, so discussion thus far seems to be "we have little left to do, let's boogie."

1) Leave immediately, or time-skip through the rest of the Fair to get potion monies (at the expense of time)?
2) Thrimesdur or the Jeweled Coast? Or, I dunno, the mountains or someplace boring.

i may have missed something but i don't recall golems and raised dead losing their vitality over time. it may be just as strong as it was when 1st created. one can as you have that its artifact powered but it is just an assumption untill proven. for all we know the cursed land itself could be powering it, but a game with no risk is no fun so go for it and pray our gm had the same artifact power plant idea you did.

wow i came off as an ass in that.

That little tidbit dates waaaay back to Part 6, where Pevo was describing his travels and the skeletal monster whatever.

Quote from: Pevo
All sand and rock it is, out in the wilderness far from human habitation. Nearby villages say it is bad luck, or cursed, and it may well be so. I spent days searching, but was unable to find the center of the Groves before I was attacked by a great skeletal monstrosity. Everything we know about Necromancy says that the creature couldn't possibly date to the Golgothan War- undead simply do not last that long without being cared for.

Emphasis on "Everything we know"- it's just what he knows from second and third-hand sources, it's not like he's a Necromancer or anything.

OR IS HE!?!

Spoiler alert! No, no he is not.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 25, 2012, 08:43:01 pm »

I say we leave immediately, at the end of the Festival the troops that we do have will have begun to patrol the borders, and we have a much higher chance of getting caught if we wait that long. We should head for Thrimesdur, and gather what information we can of the current Necromancer, maybe sabotage some of his undead soldiers.

The Alchemist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 25, 2012, 08:56:15 pm »

Well adwarf and monk have changed my mind about the matter, let's go for broke and head for the homeland. Who knows maybe we can learn a bit more about necromancy and finally pick back up our experiments. Although before we leave I think we should at least say goodbye to Elana and leave a note for our parents, I know it's stupid but it's at least a tad bit polite.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 08:59:04 pm by The Alchemist »
Well...we're both drowning, he was drunk the whole time...this was a success!
- Me after completing a game of Red November.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 25, 2012, 09:50:30 pm »

[edit]: I rather doubt we will be able to undo an epic necromancer curse any time soon, but there is a distinct advantage to studying the relatively inactive forces in the glade (they attack intruders but don't seem to be doing much rampaging) to trying to study undead that are controlled by an active necromancer who might notice someone de-animating his minions.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 09:54:21 pm by EveryZig »
Soaplent green is goblins!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: February 25, 2012, 10:17:16 pm »

When we deanimate his corpses we need to be sure to destroy the corpse, so the Necromancer doesn't no there is another Necromancer out, and about.

The Alchemist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 25, 2012, 10:29:55 pm »

We can take care of how we take out the corpses when we have to do so, for now we should try to avoid them as much as possible. We want to leave as little of a trail to follow either by necromancers or anyone who wants to harm us.
Well...we're both drowning, he was drunk the whole time...this was a success!
- Me after completing a game of Red November.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 25, 2012, 11:12:36 pm »

But remember, we do have to practice or else the practice gets done for us.  Sticking to insects, and if they are available, fish, with only the occasional mammal or reptile here and there seems to be the best option for practice if we want to avoid leaving a trail. The insects are easily disposed of and the fish are eaten.  I would say squirrels, rabbits and the like as well as the fish, however I can't quite remember the elve's stance on meat at the moment.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 26, 2012, 12:35:18 am »

Leave for Thrimesdur at the end of the festival. We made a deal, so let's not welch on it. Especially when it gets us highly useful spending money.

But remember, we do have to practice or else the practice gets done for us.
It appears that we only spontaneously cast necromancy spells if we go to sleep with excess mana. As long as we spend most of our mana on mana potions or general spells, we don't actually need to do necromancy in order to keep from having accidents. Which isn't to say that we shouldn't do necromancy, only that it's not a requirement.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 26, 2012, 12:40:39 am »

Woops, I forgot that we would be making potions along the way.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: February 26, 2012, 12:44:39 am »

They seem perfectly happy eating meat. Honestly, the most questionable thing we've done so far was draining vitality from a still living tree.

But yes, once we are beyond the edge of the forests, we will truly resume our experiments in earnest. There will be one last thing that needs to be done, though, first. Perhaps a days travel past the boundaries, we will tell Omo there is something we need to show and explain to him. Remind him that he knows us fairly well, and we wouldn't have kept something secret from him this long unless it was important - and to hear us out, in full, before making any decisions. But we hope he decides to stay with us - we need him, not just for his abilities to fight and survive off the land, but to be our ethical compass and a reminder of what we have to lose should we err. Tell him you will explain the rest once camp is set.

Once we've set up camp in a well secluded area, ask him to hunt us up something for dinner while you prepare your story. Once he returns, start at the beginning. Explain how your powers revealed themselves - and how if you didn't use them, they manifested themselves on their own. Ignoring them wasn't an option, so you attempted to learn about them. You don't need to go into details about the specific experiments, simply tell him of the things you learned, and of coming to terms with this. Of your internal conflict, and renewed determination to do something good with what you have realized is a gift. Pevo has told us that not all Necromancers are evil - merely, humans expressing the magic on their own without guidance corrupts an already dangerous discipline even further. Our nature, our life experience, allows us a different path - though we are wary of the dangers, and we wish to rely on Omo to keep us on the straight and narrow.

Then explain how, with these powers, we believe we have a chance to do what the Life Mages could not - remove the taint from our elven homeland. Perhaps it will be beyond our abilities, but if nothing else there is surely something valuable to be learned. If we can learn how to turn our powers in such a way so as to counter the undead, even better - we can use those powers defending out people, should it come to that.

You can demonstrate the truth of your powers by animating the corpse he brought back from his hunt, controller it, and then killing it. Explain that the corpse is still good to eat - you tried it yourself, previously - and that nothing here is wasted. You simply have the ability to use the death for protection and discovery as well as sustenance. If elves have prayers of thanks or whatever, do those properly.

And then... we'll see what he says.

And we do, eventually, intend on revealing ourselves to them - when the time is right, but not before. When they can be sure of our intentions, and we can stand on our own two feet, such that if they DO reject us, we can carry on without growing bitter or resentful.

Ask him if he has any questions, and his opinions on things. Reaffirm that you are interested in his desires, and his recommendation, and what he thinks.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: February 26, 2012, 12:46:00 am »

Eh, sounds good actually. Considering our situation, the main thing we might try to get with money is no more, aka the amulet. I say we buy some supplies from the caravan and leave with Omo already.

I just don't know if we tell the merchant something unexpected happened and we won't be able to finish preparing the potions (if he's questioned, it'll give indications about our plans), or just leave without informing anyone (he might report us as a missing person, and then we could get a search party after us)
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 155