Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 656503 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Part 26
« Reply #930 on: March 27, 2012, 07:53:04 am »

If Omo thinks there's even a chance of them coming after us, can we hide the fact that we are elves? Maybe wear some kind of hood? If so, we should be okay in the town. But again, Omo knows these people -- especially in these strange times, might they be willing to make the crossing to come get us?

It would seem to be a waste to get so far and then run the risk of getting caught. If there's a chance of them attempting to retrieve us,  we should not stay the night. But visiting the town for a couple hours to get a room, dry off, take a nap, and perhaps most importantly purchase a map of the area and ask people questions is probably a good idea.

And also, I consider "in the wilderness" to be at least a days walk from the nearest town - I don't think the time has come when people are so nearby.

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: March 27, 2012, 08:08:52 am »

I think that a fire would be quite necessary and quite obvious, and may tempt the elves to come after us even if it is not common practise. Resting in a proper inn is definitely the right course. As for Telling Omo, we made a commitment and we should stick to it, but some practicality has to enter the equation. I say that Omo should be told before the second night. It is still, sort of similar to the original commitment, and we really desperately need a dry place to rest and an isolated place to talk. But, tell Omo that there is something important to tell them. We want to be as honest with Omo as we can afford to be...
If Omo thinks there's even a chance of them coming after us, can we hide the fact that we are elves? Maybe wear some kind of hood? If so, we should be okay in the town. But again, Omo knows these people -- especially in these strange times, might they be willing to make the crossing to come get us?

It would seem to be a waste to get so far and then run the risk of getting caught. If there's a chance of them attempting to retrieve us,  we should not stay the night. But visiting the town for a couple hours to get a room, dry off, take a nap, and perhaps most importantly purchase a map of the area and ask people questions is probably a good idea.

And also, I consider "in the wilderness" to be at least a days walk from the nearest town - I don't think the time has come when people are so nearby.

This pretty much sums up my opinion. As for disguises, there is that illusion spell Draigh mentioned (your name is hell on text correctors btw <<;).

EDIT: Then again, we're probably way too tired to learn a spell right now. Although, there's no point in disguises if we can't adequately explain why we look like we absorbed the river...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:15:10 am by Deep Waters »
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: March 27, 2012, 08:25:14 am »

The key is just to not dawdle. That's the most important bit.

Ask Omo how long it would take the elves to get there, should they attempt it, and say we can stay until then. We'll have no such time constraints in the next place we stop.

lockman766

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail Random
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: March 27, 2012, 11:29:02 pm »

The key is just to not dawdle. That's the most important bit.

Ask Omo how long it would take the elves to get there, should they attempt it, and say we can stay until then. We'll have no such time constraints in the next place we stop.
I don't think we'll have to worry about them coming after us, but it never hurts to check.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: March 28, 2012, 02:26:10 pm »

If Omo says the rangers won't follow us, then just make camp as far from the city as feasible, and tell Omo we're a necromancer the next morning. If we procrastinate about it any longer, it'll just make him trust us less.  Anyways, He won't get the elves, since they would probably punish him for going AWOL; At worst he'll go and tell the humans what we are, and we'll have a decent head start on an angry mob.  Anything better than that will take longer to mobilize.

Also, Go to the city after we tell Omo, but only to get a map and other supplies.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: March 28, 2012, 03:58:25 pm »

Anyways, He won't get the elves, since they would probably punish him for going AWOL; At worst he'll go and tell the humans what we are, and we'll have a decent head start on an angry mob.  Anything better than that will take longer to mobilize.
Don't know about that. He might go back even facing punishment if he believes the cause is big enough, and intel THAT big might qualify. It still would take sometime though, even if only to send word to the council.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: March 28, 2012, 10:56:09 pm »

Has anyone thought of what we might do if Omo decides to be sneakier than just rejecting us outright and leaving? That is, he pretends to accept us, all the while sending a message to the Elves about us behind our backs, then tying us up as we sleep so that the Rangers can come take us in? I don't think he's like that, and maybe I'm being paranoid, but still. Just thinking. Hmm... paranoia is also a good way of making people go evil through the strike-first mindset, which would be ironic- that would mean that peoples' fears of evil necromancers would play a large part in the creation of evil necromancers, and without people ever actually doing anything.

I'm not saying I want this to happen, of course. Just pondering possibilities. It'd be interesting character development, to say the least.
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: March 29, 2012, 12:52:37 am »

Again - we wait until we're in the wilderness. At least a day from the nearest town and an hour from the nearest road. We do try to push for this situation to come about, but we want to minimize risk.

For now, let Omo enjoy his freedom a bit, though. Who knows how long it will be before we encounter more trouble.

Visit the town for a couple hours, do whatever, and then get out.

We've still got plenty of light left, right?

lockman766

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail Random
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: March 29, 2012, 05:43:12 pm »

Again - we wait until we're in the wilderness. At least a day from the nearest town and an hour from the nearest road. We do try to push for this situation to come about, but we want to minimize risk.

For now, let Omo enjoy his freedom a bit, though. Who knows how long it will be before we encounter more trouble.

Visit the town for a couple hours, do whatever, and then get out.

We've still got plenty of light left, right?
+1

Sir E Brum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: March 29, 2012, 06:16:59 pm »

What the others said about telling Omo. It seems like a really good idea. After that, conduct the vitality-lightsaber experiment immediately. A wand may serve better than a staff for concealment and stealth purposes, as well. Learn any other useful spells would allow us to make mana-batteries with little effort beyond startup. Since we are going against one or two other very powerful necromancers, munchkin tactics skillful use of our wits and engineering is fair. Otherwise, victory over the necromancer opponents and other threats will either be achieved by direct deus-ex-machina or indirect deus-ex-machina through Omo.

Also, find cheap metals in wire form (if available) and check if they conduct mana or vitality. May come in handy later.

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: March 29, 2012, 06:39:05 pm »

What the others said about telling Omo. It seems like a really good idea. After that, conduct the vitality-lightsaber experiment immediately. A wand may serve better than a staff for concealment and stealth purposes, as well. Learn any other useful spells would allow us to make mana-batteries with little effort beyond startup. Since we are going against one or two other very powerful necromancers, munchkin tactics skillful use of our wits and engineering is fair. Otherwise, victory over the necromancer opponents and other threats will either be achieved by direct deus-ex-machina or indirect deus-ex-machina through Omo.

Also, find cheap metals in wire form (if available) and check if they conduct mana or vitality. May come in handy later.

I don't know about vitality, but it's been said already that magical crystal is "the only substance that can reliably store and release Mana", as snipped out below:

*snip*A Mana Potion? I don't know of any Elf who can make those.
It isn't that difficult- anyone can learn the necessary spell. Mages tend to make them for themselves, though, since demand is low and their greater Mana reserves allow them to make more potent potables. The tricky part is getting the Crystal for the task.
Crystal?
You know, magical crystal. It is the only substance we know of that can reliably store and release Mana, and is an extremely versatile material with applications in almost all alchemical processes as well as many other branches of spellcraft. We don't have a natural supply of it, instead importing it from Thrimesdur and the Jeweled Coast.*snip*

If you mean "conduct mana or vitality" in the same way as "conduct electricity", I'm not sure what the use of that would be. Conductive metals are used in electrical appliances in order to transfer it from place to place; we can transfer mana from place to place just fine without any extraneous materials. Can you expand on usefulness of this?

And no. No deux ex machinas. No deux ex machinas ever. We must survive through our skill, wits, and (questionable) charm alone! Anything else is cheating. ಠ_ಠ

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: March 29, 2012, 06:43:23 pm »

This brings up an interesting question... can vitality and mana in fact be conducted? Are there materials which equalize it between two objects they touch?

So far we've placed vitality on an object, and it immediately effects the whole object, as if the object was a pitcher into which we poured water. Or as if the object had a point-like soul, and we were casting into that through a separate dimension. We should test on all elements and combination of elements. burning wood? wooden vessel of water? stone vessel of blood? wood on stone on earth on flesh? does casting vitality on one cause it to flow to the other, more vitality retentive material?

Sir E Brum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: March 29, 2012, 10:41:06 pm »

As far as the wire conducting mana/vitality (vitality preferred if the lightsaber idea works), I'm thinking making better and actually functioning golems at some point down the line. I don't know how much grandmaster monk12 will let us get away with, but if we can get some kind of vitality or mana based circuitry going, that would have a lot of potential. Another thing, if we can get a golem to follow instructions, then fuse it with a vitality battery golem, we can essentially roboticize golems.
And make them self-replicate.
Like a von neumann machine.
Made of golems.

This is awesome and we should do it.

lockman766

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail Random
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: March 30, 2012, 01:19:30 am »

I believe we have already established that vitality can't be used as a weapon.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: March 30, 2012, 02:03:51 am »

Vitality cannot be used as a weapon directly, (a fact that, in retrospect, should have been pretty obvious), but that's not what is meant by a "vitality lightsaber". The actual idea there is to try to enchant an item that drains vitality in a radius. Since we know that drain vitality is line of sight, if we put the item in a container with a small hole, we'll end up with an item that projects a "beam" of vitality draining out of it.

Like a lightsaber.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 155