Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 660451 times)

lockman766

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail Random
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Part 26
« Reply #945 on: March 30, 2012, 03:56:18 am »

Vitality cannot be used as a weapon directly, (a fact that, in retrospect, should have been pretty obvious), but that's not what is meant by a "vitality lightsaber". The actual idea there is to try to enchant an item that drains vitality in a radius. Since we know that drain vitality is line of sight, if we put the item in a container with a small hole, we'll end up with an item that projects a "beam" of vitality draining out of it.

Like a lightsaber.
That's crazy! I like it.

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: March 30, 2012, 07:27:34 am »

Yeah, it is. Though, I wonder if we're not making a fundamental assumption here: what if the spell works off our line of sight and not the object's? How far can golems see, anyway?
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: March 30, 2012, 07:54:52 am »

So we should build a golem with the capacity to drain vitality and impart it into other objects. it should be instructed to make duplicates of itself when possible, and create otherwise identical constructs that lack the ability to drain vitality when vitality-draining materials are unavailable. It should impart its function onto any object thus created. It should be made as small as possible so as to have as much redundancy as possible with a limited supply of crystal...

P.S.
 Wouldn't the light-saber idea be more like a laser-beam, or death-ray? Maybe the spell would be more efficient with a limited range...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: March 30, 2012, 03:11:14 pm »

Two words: Grey Goo

Self replicating anythings is a bad bad idea.

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: March 30, 2012, 03:54:54 pm »

anyway, we know next to nothing about golems, vitaltiy, and mana crystals. besides, if monk lets us do it, then the other necromancers will be able to as well
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

Draigh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: March 30, 2012, 04:07:07 pm »

Nice ideas and all...
But I think we need to first experiment on the basics. These plans are assuming a lot of things we do not even know yet.
And a lot of things that are quite unlikely to happen...

We do not know after all what the limits are of our golems.
Nor if we can use the drain of vitality as a weapon as described here.
Or if we can infuse our golem with said spell using ability. After all... it's not a mage but a (dumb) construct.

I also doubt it would be the most effective use of our abilities. Or if we have the power to get it working without draining ourselves in the process.

Anyway, all plans for a possible future. But we need to return to the present.
Namely Omo and our possible hunters.

Can anyone explain me why we need to leave the human city asap, preferably making as little contact as possible, and sleeping in the forest like petty criminals instead of bold elven scholars that are seeking ancient knowledge?
We have done nothing wrong, nor do we have that much to hide. Except that we left the elven lands without permission of the boring elven council that prefers to stay there all cooped up and wait.
If we can create a positive reputation for ourselves out there, that would help in getting certain aspects of our magic accepted by the common people. If we hide and be sneaky, then they might want to mob-lynch us just out of fearful principle.

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: March 30, 2012, 05:08:32 pm »

The other necromancers may be inclined more toward domination rather than experimentation. The Pirate King didn't even use his powers until recently, and Nightroars is apparently as cliche as an evil insane necromancer can get. While neither of those traits necessarily mean that they don't experiment with their powers, it also doesn't show that they're aware that necromancy involves anything more than raising the dead. They certainly haven't gotten any farther with golems than we have; otherwise, we would've heard reports of random household objects marching alongside the dead. :P

If I metagame a bit, I could also say that it's a terrible idea in general to give every power we discover ourselves to our enemies as well. That would cheapen the whole deal, and in this specific case it would also be quite unrealistic- the Jeweled Coasts aren't exactly famous for their vast troves of knowledge, and if I remember correctly, Nightroar first emerged in a rural village, so it's very unlikely either necromancer could've learned the techniques in a book, and if they do experiment, it'd be very unlikely that they'd conduct the same sort of experiments we would, especially with their apparent lack of scruples involving dead bodies- Nightroar, at the very least, would probably have found it more difficult to purchase sufficient materials for a good golem than to rob a grave.

Of course, we should always be prepared, but I sincerely doubt that Monk would do something like that. Right, Monk? Right? ...Monk?  ???

Ninja'd: Draigh hasn't said anything regarding our experimental aspirations most of us haven't thought or said before, but they were definitely things that needed to be said again. Still, speculation doesn't hurt. :P

As for the whole human city thing (town actually; I think 'city' is probably overdoing it from what I remember Monk saying), well, I'd prefer to leave as soon as possible, yes, but only because that means we can fulfill our promise to tell Omo about our powers that much sooner, and our haste to leave probably won't be too suspicious to Omo (we could act nervous about the Council coming after us, or excited about seeing new things, or both- although it certainly doesn't have to be an act to work for us) and maybe help mitigate Omo's anger about not telling him sooner if it looks like we were trying to make it so that we could tell him as soon as possible.

We could easily explain why we didn't tell him before, too- we couldn't tell him in either elf-town or human-town because there was too high a chance of being overheard, and even out in the elf-wilderness one surprise attack Ranger patrol and both of us would probably be dead, since they'd probably assume Omo is our accomplice or an exceptionally well-preserved zombie or something. (We could tell him that we weren't sure how he'd react or not, either, but I'll leave that choice up to everyone else- it is, after all, a rather ugly truth, the idea that we didn't trust him enough to tell him this sooner.) It'll make us look paranoid, but who wouldn't be, in our shoes?

In any case, we should definitely go into town and stay overnight as long as Omo thinks the Council won't come after us, or otherwise will take long enough to mobilize that we can afford it. If he thinks they will come after us and quickly, we should keep moving- though in hindsight he doesn't seem to be very worried about that. (Maybe the Rangers, unsure of what to do about people trying to leave rather than trying to get in, have to ask the Council for orders first? That should take a few days just to get the message there and back, and the Council will probably argue about what to do for a few days as well. Definitely need to ask Omo about what the Rangers will do about us.)

In any case, either way, we should grab some essentials as soon as possible- a more accurate map, like others have said, will be of paramount importance, even if it's only the local areas, and some other navigational equipment may or may not be in order- I'd definitely be more comfortable if we had a compass of some sort. I still think we should get a sling, but I suppose that's optional. We may also want to check and see if there are any more spellbooks in the local shops, though there's no telling if we'll find any more useful than the one we have now. Some historical books might be useful, though I doubt we'll find anything particularly revolutionary in a town like Larathor. More crystals might be good, too, though we shouldn't sell any potions until we get to the big cities- that's where the wealthier clients, who will pay more for our services, will be.

Oh, and definitely some information gathering a la Draigh's suggestions in the quote just above the TL; DR would be in order- I'll add to that list asking people about Nightroar's activities, since figuring out where Nightroar is heading (and avoiding his route like the plague) should definitely be one of our top priorities, and asking people where he's attacked before, among other things, will help with that and finding out Nightroar's current capabilities; y'know, beyond zombiespamming.

And no, no hiding. No one really suggested we hide, at least not in the manner you're implying. At worst, they suggested we stay in the wilderness so that the Rangers won't come find us (if they come after us). Besides, just because we enter a town and leave quickly doesn't mean we're hiding, or acting... er, questionable, in any way. The townspeople won't mob-lynch us for being travelers that want to go on to the next city as soon as possible. Now, if we were to hang around all shady and suspicious-like... possibly. But we won't really have a reason to act that way after we get past (a) the danger of the Council catching us and dragging us inch-by-inch back to Elfland and (b) telling Omo about us being a necromancer. Cautious, we should be. Shady, we should be not.

whoohoo, the story continues!

My vote:
We are not in the wilderness yet (one hour walk from a village or city is NOT wilderness), just out of the elven forests. Get a nice sleep at the inn to celebrate our freedom and dry up from our swim.
Also: gather information at said inn about current state of affairs, local mages, general thoughts about magic in Thrimesdur and get the opinions of these humans about elves. That way we know what to expect for the future.
Finally: Check book for basic illusion spells that can alter ones appearance. If they do not like elves, we might want to work on an illusion and pose as humans.

TL; DR: The other necromancers don't seem like the experimenting type, and it's always a bad idea to give the protagonist's powers to someone else in any case. Draigh is right about the whole experiments debate; we should put that on hold until we get more information about the basics, at least. We should go into Larathor, stay overnight, and collect supplies (a better map, a compass, and possibly more crystals, spellbooks/history books, and/or a sling, in order of importance) in the morning. Gather some information as Draigh said before plus whatever we can find out about Nightroar while shopping and for a little time afterwards, then when we've milked the town dry of gossip, leave so we can finally tell Omo and get the whole thing over with.

EDIT: Heehee... "Draigh's list" ^gigglesnort^

Why yes, I am, in fact, quite easily amused. How could you tell? X3
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 05:14:38 pm by Deep Waters »
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

lockman766

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail Random
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: March 30, 2012, 05:10:55 pm »

I say we should rest in the human town, and leave early the next day after buying a map.

Draigh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: March 30, 2012, 05:43:22 pm »

EDIT: Heehee... "Draigh's list" ^gigglesnort^

Why yes, I am, in fact, quite easily amused. How could you tell? X3
I totally miss the point about why that is funny??

If Omo says the rangers won't follow us, then just make camp as far from the city as feasible, and tell Omo we're a necromancer the next morning. If we procrastinate about it any longer, it'll just make him trust us less.  Anyways, He won't get the elves, since they would probably punish him for going AWOL; At worst he'll go and tell the humans what we are, and we'll have a decent head start on an angry mob.  Anything better than that will take longer to mobilize.

Also, Go to the city after we tell Omo, but only to get a map and other supplies.

Visit the town for a couple hours, do whatever, and then get out.

We've still got plenty of light left, right?

These remarks are why I am wondering why people prefer sleeping in still wet clothes in the open air under a tree instead of going to an inn as respectable travelers and get a good nights rest and let our clothes dry there.

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: March 30, 2012, 05:46:30 pm »

I'm probably doing it wrong, but the way I pronounce your name sounds like "DRAYG". As such, "Draigh's list" sounds like "craigslist".

Yeah, I know, lame. But it's pretty damn funny to me. XD

EDIT:
These remarks are why I am wondering why people prefer sleeping in still wet clothes in the open air under a tree instead of going to an inn as respectable travelers and get a good nights rest and let our clothes dry there.

I get where they're coming from, but yeah, I lean towards your opinion more. We aren't the ones being cold and wet, so we're being more logical about things, but honestly, a small part of me kinda feels sorry for Nym. I can't help but imagine her all drenched and shivering and looking at me with these big, sad eyes, just like a stray puppy, and I just want to give her a hug and a blanket and a nice little fire to warm her up and dry her off. (And check her for heartworms. No, wait, took that metaphor a bit far. <<; )

SO I'M A SENTIMENTAL PERSON. I'M FEMALE OKAY, I HAVE THE RIGHT.  :-[
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 06:11:27 pm by Deep Waters »

Draigh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: March 30, 2012, 06:23:39 pm »

Even from a purely logical standpoint, it's not handy to do.
We don't have life mages with us that can heal us if we get hypothermia (and possible pneumonia due to a lower resistance).

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: March 30, 2012, 06:32:46 pm »

Funny that I suggested we NOT DO THAT then, huh? That I specifically said we should find a place where we can clean up, dry off or switch clothes, do some shopping, and THEN leave?

A couple hours should be more than enough for that, and it's much safer - assuming it wouldn't run into dusk, in which case we should stay overnight, but be cautious.

For now, lets just say go to town, and we'll discuss staying or not once we get there. I'm just concerned it will be a small, one inn town, meaning we'll be remarkably easy to find.

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: March 30, 2012, 06:56:59 pm »

Funny that I suggested we NOT DO THAT then, huh? That I specifically said we should find a place where we can clean up, dry off or switch clothes, do some shopping, and THEN leave?

A couple hours should be more than enough for that, and it's much safer - assuming it wouldn't run into dusk, in which case we should stay overnight, but be cautious.

For now, lets just say go to town, and we'll discuss staying or not once we get there. I'm just concerned it will be a small, one inn town, meaning we'll be remarkably easy to find.

I can't seem to find the exact quote now, but I distinctly remember something about Larathor being a center of trade along the Great River. Plus, from the options given to us regarding the crossing of the Great River, it kinda sounded like it was the only legitimate place to cross the border between Yicelafo and Thrimesdur along the river. While I get the feeling that it's not exactly the largest city in Thrimesdur, I'm pretty sure it'll have a lot more than one inn.

Also, looking at that map again, I'm kinda curious about the Black Swamps. I think we've heard mention of every place but that one (well, 'Here Be Dragons' and those nameless islands over there, too, but those don't count). Did we ever hear anything about it?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: March 30, 2012, 08:54:13 pm »

The rangers are similar to a military force, and the river is much like a border. It would surprise me if the rangers pursued anyone a distance into human lands without being sanctioned by the human authorities...
 As for not staying the night, drying off without the aid of an inn isn't really any different to drying off next to a fire in the wilderness. In fact, the wilderness may be preferable, as the sight of two people wandering into town and then 'drying themselves' would be odd. It doesn't appear to be raining, so a roof overhead doesn't much matter. The inn would provide a place to inventory our belongings for potential water damage, hot food and drink, warm, dry bedding, and somewhere to hang our stuff to dry that isn't exposed to elements and wildlife. The only risks that staying the night would incur from the rangers is that they would search the town, which seems highly unlikely and would probably be in conflict with the humans, or that they would surround the town and wait for us, which would seem like an overly large expenditure of resources. The inn is likely to operate on a nightly schedule, and can likely charge a relatively high rate for young couples who don't want the room for a whole night... Omo would probably appreciate at least seeing the library, and we don't really want to remain near the elven border, so leaving early in the morning should be easy enough...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: March 31, 2012, 01:11:45 am »

If there's a couple inns... okay, you've convinced me. Lets go stay in the town tonight. We've got a lot of preparing to do, after all - only now is our journey truly beginning.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 155