Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 656492 times)

lurtze1

• Bay Watcher
  • Worshipper of the god of total chaos
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer!
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 03:17:08 am »

I have a cunning plan: You shall pretend to become a historian. When the time comes that you can make no further progress here, either due to lack of materials or being unable to learn more without resources to study, tell the village (and any humans that ask about you) that that you are departing for Thrimesdur to study the history of the Cremated Empire. This provides a legitimate excuse for you to be wandering ancient battlefields, studying in libraries and exploring abandoned tombs. Who would suspect a mild-mannered elven scholar with little proficency in magic to be a necromancer?

There's no need to set out right away, of course. That would look suspicious. Instead, split your time between experimenting in private with necromancy (I'm sure the others will have all sorts of suggestions for things to try) and asking around about the history of Thrimesdur. Pevo, your mother, Elana, whoever might know about history. Take good notes and occasionally hint at wanting to go see the world and study abroad. You can work out the rest laster.
Ignore my suggestion. This is better.
Seconded and maybe if we take the job as an librarian we can earn some money on the side <.< >.>
I played to much adom....

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 07:26:11 am »

Yeah, can we not just disappear into a cave somewhere, yet? :P

I agree-lets make ourselves a respectable Historian. It will bring more attention to us, but what attention there is will be much less likely to be hostile or suspcious.

Send a carefully written letter to Elana Foundwasps, as well. Is there still anything between us?

As for experiments, I suggest seeing if we can animate dead plants as well as animals and insects.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 11:51:53 pm »

I have a cunning plan: You shall pretend to become a historian. When the time comes that you can make no further progress here, either due to lack of materials or being unable to learn more without resources to study, tell the village (and any humans that ask about you) that that you are departing for Thrimesdur to study the history of the Cremated Empire. This provides a legitimate excuse for you to be wandering ancient battlefields, studying in libraries and exploring abandoned tombs. Who would suspect a mild-mannered elven scholar with little proficency in magic to be a necromancer?

There's no need to set out right away, of course. That would look suspicious. Instead, split your time between experimenting in private with necromancy (I'm sure the others will have all sorts of suggestions for things to try) and asking around about the history of Thrimesdur. Pevo, your mother, Elana, whoever might know about history. Take good notes and occasionally hint at wanting to go see the world and study abroad. You can work out the rest laster.
Ignore my suggestion. This is better.
Seconded and maybe if we take the job as an librarian we can earn some money on the side <.< >.>
I played to much adom....

As you munch on a wholesome breakfast, you devise a plan. Over the next few days and weeks you'll express a keen interest in ancient history, especially that of Thrimesdur. You are a bit young for such a venture, but wanderlust is not unknown among the Elves and your people are on exceedingly good terms with Thrimesdur- their caravans are the only humans allowed through The Walled Jungles, on their journey to the Jeweled Coast.

The plan has its merits- it will be easier to practice your Necromantic arts in the vast stretches of wilderness in The Cremated Empire, the great libraries of that nation may hold further clues to the Necromantic art and the secrets of the ancient Necromancers, and there's plenty of old battlefields and tombs to explore for artifacts and... test subjects, let's say? Your biggest hurdles will be getting permission to leave the Vale and gathering the supplies to sustain yourself on such a journey. You are confidant you can wear down the Elders given time (and the influence of your mother,) and although you don't have any money (preferring to fish for self-sufficiency and doing odd tasks for incidentals) it shouldn't be too hard to earn the money, one way or another.

But first things first! You head to the heart of the hamlet, cordially greeting the elves you pass, a smile here, a wave there. In good spirits, you arrive at the Temple of Aye Valleymists, the elven deity associated with Life, the Forest, and Rivers. The Temple is a bit larger than the other buildings of the hamlet- most homes are one or two room treehouses, built of deadwood and cunningly woven into the living branches. The Temple is much larger, comprising a dozen or more rooms spread throughout the branches of a massive oak tree. The Mage Ari Wetdawn is teaching a couple of young children the basics of Magic on the grass below the Temple.

You watch as Ari guides them through a children's exercise, remembering when you yourself performed it. Ari and the children sit around a flower, eyes closed, hands outstretched. The flower is wreathed in green flames, with tendrils of gold twining about the leaves and stem. As you watch, the flower grows visibly healthier, taller, brighter. After a few moments, the lesson is concluded, and Ari dismisses the children, who promptly run off laughing. You approach Ari before he returns to the Temple interior.

I never understood the point of that exercise, Ari. They're too young to be manifesting any Life magic- why not stick to general magic?
Ah, but this is one of the ways we determine who will manifest such talents! It's important to catch them at a young age, so we can teach them properly.
Why? What would happen if, say, they were learning magic on their own?
Oh, a great many things could happen to the unwary practitioner. They could attempt a task beyond their capabilities, tapping too much of their Mana reserve, which could stunt their magical growth. Too, many of the more powerful Life spells require the caster to sacrifice some of his own Vitality- if you don't know what you're doing, you could seriously hurt or even kill yourself.
I had no idea it was that risky.
Oh, it isn't so common a threat as that- Life magics sometimes surface among the humans, where they don't have a Life Mage handy to recognize the early signs, but they rarely die of the gift before others realize what is happening.
How can non-Mages recognize the gift, Ari?
The signs get much more obvious- if they don't realize what is going on, they begin to spontaneously cast Life spells due to Mana buildup. Plants start blooming out of season, people nearby are cured of their ills, so on and so forth. Sooner or later they put two and two together and send the young Mage to us for tutelage.
What's Mana buildup?
When your magical ability is growing, it requires exercise, same as your muscles, or your mind. You seem full of questions today.
Oh, I've just been thinking, and discovering I have few new thoughts to think- I want to hear new things, see new places. I'm beginning to wish I had paid more attention to the Sages as a child. Speaking of, have you seen Pevo Zephyrtempest about?
I'm afraid not, young one- I believe he was visiting family a few villages over. He should be back tomorrow, if you wish to see him. I hope you'll excuse me, magical business to attend to, you know how it is.
Thank you for your time, Ari Wetdawn.

Yeah, can we not just disappear into a cave somewhere, yet? :P

I agree-lets make ourselves a respectable Historian. It will bring more attention to us, but what attention there is will be much less likely to be hostile or suspcious.

Send a carefully written letter to Elana Foundwasps, as well. Is there still anything between us?

As for experiments, I suggest seeing if we can animate dead plants as well as animals and insects.

You feel pretty good about this morning, and head home for a quick lunch. You find yourself reminiscing about Elana Foundwasps- you had some good times, until she left you. In truth, you were envious of her Power, Power you had thought to possess, and she had lacked the patience and understanding to deal with your childish jealousy. It's easy to recognize now, with the passage of time and the discovery of your own Power. She had begun her formal training not long after your breakup, and you haven't spoken since.

Perhaps, you think to yourself, perhaps this is a relationship worth resurrecting in one form or another. After all, she's a magic-user on the rise, you're a young magic-user on the rise... not that you can really tell her you are, but still. Even if you can't recapture the way things used to be, it could be a good idea to chat with somebody else who is mastering the arcane arts, somebody with competent teachers. It could be that some of the techniques she is learning would transfer, and it never hurts to have friends in high places.

A week ago, you might have had this thought and let it languish, but this is a new you, a You that gets things done! You grab a quill and inkpot, a short length of scroll and a parchment envelope, and write Elana a letter. Nothing too forward, familiar without being intimate, inquisitive, how-do-you-do. Your words certainly sound more mature than the last thing you said to her, anyway- maybe it's enough. With some small measure of chagrin, you realize that midday is a very poor time to mail a letter- everyone who would be heading that direction is already gone, and you don't have the means to pay somebody to deliver it. Not to worry- you can mail it on the morrow.

Inquire about any old books that might detail the processes of old, forgotten magic. Phrase it like you're interested in it as an intellectual excersize. We can probably learn more from books than we ever could from the elders, especially since they might kill you if they discover your secret.

If we can't find any books or other educational tools, we should set to work trying to make the zombies that we raise do our bidding, rather than just wander around aimlessly and kill anything that moves. Perhaps if we kill a crayfish but keep its brain intact, then immediately raise it?

Obviously we go south. Any self-respecting necromancer has an evil cave of doom.

EDIT: Is there any way to store mana in objects for future use? Say, if we want to try and raise something bigger.

You know that Mages can store Mana in potion form, to replenish their Mana at a later date, though you do not know the method used to make such Potions. You also know that there exist magical items that enhance your magical power and available mana pool, although to your knowledge these items are much rarer. Ari Wetdawn (or any given Mage, really) can give you more information than that on both subjects, if you wish to ask him

With an afternoon to kill, no nearby Sage and a preoccupied Mage you decide to follow up on yesterday's resolution to find a private place to practice your arts. You decide to head south, towards the cliffs that line the Vale. After a few hours walk through the woods, you find yourself facing those cliffs. The trees grow right up to the cliff-face; the cliff itself is rough enough that some hardy trees have taken root in the side. The entire face is rather craggy, riddled with gullies and depressions.

For no particular reason, you decide to follow the cliff-face East, looking for someplace that can easily be made private. You pass several shallow caves, more overhangs than any place to hide from prying eyes. After about an hours walk, you find just the thing- a nice deep cave, the entrance screened by a veil of vines, not easily visible to passersby!

Unfortunately, you also find a bear.

Fortunately, you know this bear- every elf knows Apasi Adoredbear, an aging black bear often seen out and about the Vale. Like most animals of the wood, Apasi does not fear the presence of Elves, and will even tolerate them in near proximity. You doubt, however, that Apasi will easily suffer the presence of an elf in his very den. He is sleeping right now- what will you do?

[And wow, it took me until dialogue occurred to realize I never asked You what your name is? You can vote gender as well, I suppose- don't know what it'll affect, but why the hell not. The current day is heading towards evening- depending how you resolve the bear situation I may jump right in on the following day, so feel free to suggest some short-term plans]

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Notable Figures (click to show/hide)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 12:40:27 am »

It is probably best to avoid the bear. Messing with him would be evil, would not do us any good, and would possibly attract attention.
(Can elves communicate with animals or are the animals just non-hostile to them?)
Soaplent green is goblins!

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 07:32:46 am »

ask the sage what other kinds of magic there are as soon as you get back.
for now train you known spells by waking the bear and casting calm animal on him repeatedly if needed.
Then search his cave.

EDIT: Also vote Female.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 08:46:45 am by hachnslay »
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2011, 07:41:03 am »

I was sort of hoping we could be the nameless Necromancer. Part of doing what we are going to be doing is forgetting your old self...as for Gender, I'm going to vote Female, but that shouldn't really come up much-since I think Elven culture is fairly androgynous.

Also, assuming the bear doesn't eat us, send the letter to Elana Foundwasps. Aside from the knowledge we glean, we need to try to hold onto our Humanity (Elfanity?), even in a small way, IMO. I don't about you guys, but I'm going to be trying to make our character sort of an anti-hero, instead of a straight up monster.

As for the bear, if its killed the cats sort of out of the bag, if we could even do it. Leave it alone for now...it's already asleep, so why bother it? I'd imagine Calm Animal only works so much, anyway.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2011, 03:00:12 pm »

Yeah, a zombie bear would be pretty cool, but I don't think we have the experience necessary to even control it, or be able to survive on our own without the help of the rest of the elves. Plus, maybe the bear might help us even knowing that we're a necromancer? It certainly wouldn't harbor any past griefs against that sort of magic.

Leave the bear alone.

I'll vote male, by the way. Just because.

EDIT: As for a name, how about Nym Moriquendi? +1 internets to anyone who gets the reference. : D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 04:46:11 pm by woose1 »

malkomk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2011, 05:39:11 pm »

I was sort of hoping we could be the nameless Necromancer. Part of doing what we are going to be doing is forgetting your old self...as for Gender, I'm going to vote Female, but that shouldn't really come up much-since I think Elven culture is fairly androgynous.

Also, assuming the bear doesn't eat us, send the letter to Elana Foundwasps. Aside from the knowledge we glean, we need to try to hold onto our Humanity (Elfanity?), even in a small way, IMO. I don't about you guys, but I'm going to be trying to make our character sort of an anti-hero, instead of a straight up monster.

As for the bear, if its killed the cats sort of out of the bag, if we could even do it. Leave it alone for now...it's already asleep, so why bother it? I'd imagine Calm Animal only works so much, anyway.

I support your choice.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2011, 06:05:06 pm »

I say we go for female, simply for the childbirth ideas.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2011, 06:06:04 pm »

Woose: I know that Moriquendi is Quenya (Tolkien's high-elven) for "Dark elves", but i don't know about the 'Nym' part.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2011, 06:17:24 pm »

Woose: I know that Moriquendi is Quenya (Tolkien's high-elven) for "Dark elves", but i don't know about the 'Nym' part.
You got it. The 'Nym' is just a generic elf name. OR IS IT!? (dun dun dun)
I say we go for female, simply for the childbirth ideas.
I hope that it doesn't get too squick-y. Any sort of evil ritual of raising the dead combined with children, or pregnancies can get ugly pretty quick.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2011, 06:36:07 pm »

I say Cutrib Briskt leaves the bear alone so he can mingle with some of the villagers, maybe learn something.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2011, 07:24:28 pm »

For clarification purposes...

Elves get on fairly well with wildlife even without other considerations, because Elves tend to be pretty free with the Life Magic- rather like the parable about the boy pulling the thorn from the Lion's paw, but on a racial scale. That said, they're still wild animals and not likely to be keen on you messing around in their dens. The Calm Animal spell makes animals not hostile and lasts for a good day. Elves cannot innately communicate with animals, but there are Life spells that would allow them to do so, in limited fashion- most animals aren't much on the whole "language" thing. For that reason, chatting with the wildlife isn't exactly an idle pursuit.

Anywho, amend suggestions as you see fit- I may or may not update tonight, and I almost certainly won't update tomorrow (happy turkey day fellow Americans, happy Thursday everyone else!)

Androgynous Elven wizards, you say?

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2011, 03:50:35 pm »

So lets go find an unoccupied cave to expend some mana in.
Soaplent green is goblins!

lurtze1

• Bay Watcher
  • Worshipper of the god of total chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2011, 05:43:33 am »

Vote for Female, and we should leave the bear alone and find some cave to do stuff... Yeah stuff.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 155