Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 656555 times)

lurtze1

• Bay Watcher
  • Worshipper of the god of total chaos
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer!
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2011, 12:37:31 pm »

Some proposed changes to planned experiments
Spoiler: Planned Experiments (click to show/hide)

We could still do the experiment, because a earthworm naturally is a being of flesh, bit would it work if we took something of flesh and bonesn and only use one of the things.
Oh and we should still find a cave or something

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2011, 01:31:23 pm »

Yeah, please still do it. Knowing what will cause our spells to fail is just as vital as knowing when it will work when it comes to trying to understand the underlying principles. Although our current working theory is that just the skeleton is needed (be it a endo-, exo- or hydro- skeleton), it would be nice to have it confirmed.

I'd like to second the rest of kopout's suggestion, though and add the following to it:
-Raise an earthworm and then, once it is raised, cut it in half at the border between two segments. Which ends, if any, are still animate? Continue cutting into halves at segment lines until all parts are dead or it has been divided into a prostomium, peristomium, pygidium and a pile of ordinary segments.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2011, 01:16:47 am »

Write back to Elana today if we have time, tomorrow if we don't.

Specifically, ask her about the different disciplines within the Life Magics, and which one she thinks she'll choose. It's an interesting topic for us, and Elana seems to like talking about her studies.

After enjoying a hearty breakfast, You decide to rip off a reply to Elana Foundwasps. After mentioning how you've been taking more interest in the gathering of knowledge, you go on to question her more about her studies. You hadn't realized Life Magic has more than one discipline within the school- you'd been under the impression that it was just "happy make stuff grow" magic. Then again, it turns out Necromancy is a bit more involved than "raise dead, fuck bitches" so you suppose you shouldn't be that surprised. Not that you mention the Necromancy bit, of course. Satisfied with your letter, you head outside just in time to catch a hunter heading her way- he readily agrees to carry your letter.

EDITEDIT: Oh, one more thing: Ask the elders if there is any way to store mana in an object for later use, or increase the amount of mana at your disposal. Preferably the topic should stay far away from necromancy.

By happy coincidence, you spy Ari Wetdawn walking your way! You hail him as he approaches.

Ho, Ari! What brings you out of the Temple on such a gray morning?
Hello, Nym. I'm just out to tend to a sick tree I came across the other day- a bit of Rootworm, nothing serious. I would also like to bestow a blessing on some of the deer while it's dry, if I get the chance.
How do you have the Mana to do all of these things?
Pfft. These chores will hardly overtax my abilities- I always carry a Mana Potion with me, though, in case of emergencies. It wouldn't do to find that Rootworm was a symptom of a much worse problem that needed more magic than I had at my disposal!
A Mana Potion? I don't know of any Elf who can make those.
It isn't that difficult- anyone can learn the necessary spell. Mages tend to make them for themselves, though, since demand is low and their greater Mana reserves allow them to make more potent potables. The tricky part is getting the Crystal for the task.
Crystal?
You know, magical crystal. It is the only substance we know of that can reliably store and release Mana, and is an extremely versatile material with applications in almost all alchemical processes as well as many other branches of spellcraft. We don't have a natural supply of it, instead importing it from Thrimesdur and the Jeweled Coast.
So Mana Potions make you more powerful, then.
Well, yes and no. Mana Potions replenish your Mana reserves, they don't expand them. A Mana Potion wouldn't do a random peasant any good.
What if you had a problem that you didn't have the man reserve to face?
A problem I don't have the power to resolve, indeed. In your hypothetical situation, I suppose I would call on my fellow Mages to help me solve it- very few things on Urak can face our unified might.
What if you couldn't get help from your colleagues? What if you had to do it yourself, for some reason?
"What if, what if!" IF I faced a problem I couldn't handle alone, and IF I couldn't call in outside help, then my only recourse would be to somehow obtain an Artifact of Power that could help.
An Artifact of Power?
Yes. Before the Golgothan War, it is said the great Magic-Users of Urak knew the making of Artifacts, items that could enhance the abilities of their wielder. Swords that flamed, shields that healed, boots that let the wearer fly, that sort of thing. Some of them help enhance the magical power of Mages, either through increasing their Mana reserve or allowing them to cast spells normally beyond their ability. In your extremely unlikely situation, I might be able to gain permission to use of one of the few such items our people possess- I'd have to talk to the Druid though, so I doubt that would help much.
I see. Well, I won't hold you here any longer- good luck with your tree!

Some proposed changes to planned experiments

We could still do the experiment, because a earthworm naturally is a being of flesh, bit would it work if we took something of flesh and bonesn and only use one of the things.
Oh and we should still find a cave or something
Are we normally more productive than this? (Not counting necromancy related activities.) It might seem odd if we suddenly stop doing all the tasks we usually do.
Still, we should probably seek a more secure location today than before, as the whether is less rainy today.

An experiment we should try: make a zombie insect that will stand still, then see if we can take its vitality when it is behind a rock (out of our line of sight).
Continue looking for a lair

With most of your day ahead of you, you decide to find a nice private place you can practice magic with little fear of discovery. Last time, you went South, so this time you decide to go North. This path takes you deeper into the forest, away from the Great River and Elven habitation.

After an hour or so of walking, you enter the oldest parts of the Vale. The trees here are enormous, with thick, gnarled roots clawing out of the ground. The branches overhead choke out the light of day, starving the vegetation beneath the canopy. You walk through a forlorn, emerald light, across a carpet of soggy leaves and broken twigs. It is very quiet here, very serene. Feeling you have come a safe distance from Elven habitation, you step off the game trail, searching among the roots and tree trunks for a suitable place to call your own.

After perhaps another hour or so of searching, you find it! In the center of a dense stand of trees, you find a great old oak, struck by lightning years past. The dead tree is partially fallen, held up by the branches of its neighbors- the trunk is shattered, and large branches yet lie scattered about. There is a sheltered space between the angled trunk and the ground, partially screened from the outside world by branches torn down in the old tree's falling.

Picking your way inside, you grin in satisfaction. A large pile of leaves and twigs shows where animals sheltered in days gone past, but it is clear the hollow is unoccupied now. The roots of an adjacent tree provide comfortable seating, and the soft earth beneath them would be an excellent place to store food, equipment, and any experiments you choose.

Fuck. Yeah. Let's go steal the vitality of some bitches.
(In this case, a tree.)
Then, we weaponize the life force. Try focusing it in a beam and shooting it at something. Chances are, the energy stored in a large organism like a tree can cause a decently-sized explosion.

Then I guess we can try raising it. I don't think a zombie tree would be very interesting though. We'd better also make sure to do it somewhere WAAAYY out of range of the elf village. We don't want no goddamn tree-hugging hippies finding out we're preforming horrible unnatural experiments on the local flora.

Also, based on what the old guy said, we can apparently raise just skeletons, without any flesh on them. It probably costs a lot more than raising a fleshy minion, but they last much longer. (This is just pure speculation.)

After tidying up your new getaway, you decide to celebrate with some experimentation!

First up, you decide to give your vitality stealing powers a swing. After a moment's consideration, you decide against zapping any of the trees holding up your abode, instead moving to the other end of your hollow to zap one of the trees there. Placing your hand on the tree trunk, you Steal Vitality.

You feel your magical energy pierce the tree, and siphon some of its Vitality. You can almost hear the tree groan as your magic attacks its life-force directly, but soon your eyes detect a glowing purple ball of energy emerge from the bark, floating before you. It begins to float towards you as though drawn by a swift current, but focusing your will you hold the Vitality away from you- you don't need it yourself, after all. Instead, you decide to try and use this energy to destroy something! You set your sights on a nearby rock, forced mostly out of the ground by growing roots and about as large as your head. You throw the Vitality at it, forcing the energy into it! You feel great resistance, but your will prevails, and-

Animate Object

You blink in disbelief as the rock suddenly draws the Vitality into itself! You take a step forward, but are suddenly swept by a feeling of intense vertigo! The vertigo passes, but you feel something swell within yourself, as if long-tensed muscles had finally been allowed to relax, stretching outward. You happily note your Mana pool seems larger- your practice is paying off!

Cautiously, you approach the rock- it looks rather the same as it did before. Frowning, you begin to cast Sense Vitality, but stop- you can already see the Vitality of the rock! It registers as having 2- presumably what you stole from the tree. You glance at the tree- you can't tell how much Vitality it has, though you know the Sense Vitality spell would tell you. You'd heard that practiced Mages could sense Vitality even without the aid of a spell, but you'd always dismissed that as a rumor. Perhaps skill in the magical arts brings more than an increased Mana Pool, you muse.

You bend closer- to your eye, the rock appears to have a fine network of purple lines across it. You sense, rather than see, an undirected ball of Vitality within. The rock doesn't appear to be doing anything.

Sighing, you consider your situation. Animating that rock took a lot of Mana- it is only midafternoon, but you don't have that much Mana left. Should you continue with one of your less Mana-intensive experiments, or do you have an idea for an experiment you could do related to your new-found abilities? And what will you do with the Rock, when you finish for today? You don't know if you can easily destroy it, and although you can probably suck the Vitality out of it with a spell that would leave nothing for experimentation. Then again, it's a rock- it doesn't appear to be able to move, and it isn't obviously alive undead animate. What harm could there be in leaving it be?

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Notable Figures (click to show/hide)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2011, 01:29:23 am »

We should find a living insect then attempt to move the vitality from the rock to the insect, crushing the insect after we are done.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2011, 03:19:45 am »

WHAT

Attempt to siphon the mana from the stone into a dead creature... Or yourself.

Perhaps, like a crystral, we can infuse objects with a small mana reserve for later use! Like cheap artifacts of our own!

In any matter, do NOT leave the rock. We dont want a magical trace alerting travelers or making anyone curious. ALWAYS be cautious, any mistake can spiral into a witch necro-hunt
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

lurtze1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2011, 10:38:59 am »

Make it a pet rock called rocky... All joking aside, we should do some science on it and then drain the thing, we don't want to have some random traveler/elf finding a living rock.
Oh and practice an evil laughter, you always need those when you least expect it.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2011, 11:22:23 am »

This raises an interesting question, one that I am abashed for not having come up with sooner: What are the limits on the various magical detection abilities? In order to answer this question, and find a suitable way to hide the rock from observers, try the following tests:
-Cover the rock with a peice of cloth, such as our cloak.
-Place the rock in our pouch.
-Place the rock on the far side of a living tree.
-Place the rock inside the cavity of the dead oak tree.
-Bury the rock under half a foot of soil in a spot where we can find it again.

Assuming that final tests is able to successfully hide the rock, bury the rock just outside of our grove instead of destroying it. We'll want it around for research later, and for possibly making life storage thingies. If it doesn't seem like we can successfully hide it, we'll have to destroy it.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2011, 11:40:11 am »

Assuming that final tests is able to successfully hide the rock, bury the rock just outside of our grove instead of destroying it. We'll want it around for research later, and for possibly making life storage thingies. If it doesn't seem like we can successfully hide it, we'll have to destroy it.

I agree, it makes sense to see how well we can hide our changes now before it becomes important. And it would be nice to not have to destroy everything we create.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2011, 12:09:40 pm »

I'd like to find out if we use the rock to sense things from afar. We already know we can 'switch' with our undead beings.

Let's try to link our senses to the mana in the rock-for example, find out if we can see, hear and detect magic from it.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2011, 01:23:53 pm »

We should remember to leave enough mana for ourselves to drain the rock, because we do not yet know if it will be detectable.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2011, 04:45:59 pm »

This raises an interesting question, one that I am abashed for not having come up with sooner: What are the limits on the various magical detection abilities? In order to answer this question, and find a suitable way to hide the rock from observers, try the following tests:

I second these ideas. They cost no mana and should be informative.
I'd like to find out if we use the rock to sense things from afar. We already know we can 'switch' with our undead beings.

Let's try to link our senses to the mana in the rock-for example, find out if we can see, hear and detect magic from it.
This is also a good idea, though it wil likly leave use with too little mana to drain the rock. So try to find non magical ways to hide it first.

WHAT

Perhaps, like a crystral, we can infuse objects with a small mana reserve for later use! Like cheap artifacts of our own!
Problem. The rock is not full of mana it is ful of vitality. I like the idea of having life stored in things as a way to have quick and dirty healing, see if it is easyer to drain life from animate objects than from living things try this after we have tried to take over the rock though, if it looks like it will cost more then 2 to do we should stop part way through. that is another idea, see what hapenes when you stop a spell part way through do you expend some of the mana cost all of it or none of it. I doubt it will cost less to steel from an animate object though as it cost 3  to steal from the zombie as well as the tree.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2011, 06:43:00 pm »

Spoiler: Author's Note (click to show/hide)

Make it a pet rock called rocky... All joking aside, we should do some science on it and then drain the thing, we don't want to have some random traveler/elf finding a living rock.
Oh and practice an evil laughter, you always need those when you least expect it.

I agree, it makes sense to see how well we can hide our changes now before it becomes important. And it would be nice to not have to destroy everything we create.
We should remember to leave enough mana for ourselves to drain the rock, because we do not yet know if it will be detectable.

You decide that, if you must, you can destroy Rocky with Steal Vitality- but first, you'll use your other Mana to determine just how detectable it is. First, you cast Sense Vitality, and gain awareness of the Vitality around you. Interestingly enough, you note that while Sense Vitality informs you that Rocky has 2 Vitality, that is all it informs you of. You don't see the web of purple energy you can detect with your Necromantic Sight, nor do you have the sense the Vitality is concentrated anywhere in particular.

You first shield the rock in your cloak. You note that although Sense Vitality only works on line-of-sight (thus failing with this rudimentary precaution) your Necromantic Sight can still sense Rocky- although you can't see any of the details, you still know there's a 2 Vitality strong something or other beneath the cloak.

Rocky is too large to fit in your pouch, so you walk to the other side of a living tree and take a look. Sense Vitality, as expected, only registers the presence of the Tree's Vitality. Your Necromantic Sight, while unable to detect the tree's Vitality, is able to sense the Vitality of Rocky, but fainter than before. Backing up, you lose awareness of Rocky when you are about twenty feet away. Circling so you have line of sight to the cloaked rock, you still do not have awareness of it. When you approach again, you gain a stronger and stronger sense of it.

Drawing your belt knife, you begin digging into the soft, rain-soaked earth. After some time and effort, you have a nice little hole dug- rolling Rocky in, you quickly bury him. Your Sense Vitality spell has by now worn off, but you're certain that if it couldn't work through your cloak it won't work through the dirt. Your Necromantic senses seem muffled somewhat by the layer of dirt- you can still sense it, but you need to be fairly close- a dozen feet at the most. It is fairly obvious that something is buried here, however- the dirt is freshly turned, the leaves scattered, bits of sod strewn about. Then again, part of the reason you're out here is because no Elf is likely to stumble upon your hideaway, and even if they did, they aren't terribly likely to try and detect Vitality in a rock they find in a hole in the ground.

We should find a living insect then attempt to move the vitality from the rock to the insect, crushing the insect after we are done.

Problem. The rock is not full of mana it is ful of vitality. I like the idea of having life stored in things as a way to have quick and dirty healing, see if it is easyer to drain life from animate objects than from living things try this after we have tried to take over the rock though, if it looks like it will cost more then 2 to do we should stop part way through. that is another idea, see what hapenes when you stop a spell part way through do you expend some of the mana cost all of it or none of it. I doubt it will cost less to steel from an animate object though as it cost 3  to steal from the zombie as well as the tree.

Although you think it would be safe enough to leave Rocky unattended, you decide to perform a different experiment instead. Unearthing the Rock (much easier now that you've loosened the earth,) you snag a beetle you find hiding in the dirt. Bringing your will to bear, you Steal Vitality from Rocky. To your chagrin, you completely snuff Rocky's Vitality while only withdrawing some small fraction of it- a third of what it had, maybe half a Vitality point altogether. Nothing you can make use of, but then, this beetle is much smaller than you.

You redirect the Vitality flowing from Rocky to the beetle instead of you. To your eye, the Vitality appears to strike the beetle and bounce, dissipating. You ponder what this means, as you crush the beetle for safety. Maybe you can't push Vitality into living things, only dead things. Or maybe it would have worked if the beetle was injured first- perhaps this is just an indication you can't "supercharge" Vitality with this spell. Or maybe you just didn't have enough Vitality in your grasp to do anything with. Maybe it's something else entirely...

Well, you are out of Mana, and judging by the bit of sky you can see through the hole in the canopy it is nearing dusk. Noticing your crayfish have definitely started to turn, you leave your pouch hanging from the dead tree, hopefully safe from scavengers- you could use a chest to store things in, you reflect. Mentally marking your path, you return home, arriving a couple hours later. Eating your usual dinner of fish and wine, you enjoy an extremely restful night's sleep.

After finishing your breakfast, you arise at a knock on the door- it is the same fisherman as before, bearing another letter from Elana Foundwasps! Eagerly, you accept the letter and settle down at the table to read it.

After going through the pleasantries, the letter assumes a scholarly, lecturing tone. You grin- it's from Elana, all right. Life Magic, she writes, is fundamentally the art of encouraging the growth of Vitality. The practitioners of Life Magic have developed different techniques, depending on the effect the Mage wishes to achieve.

Growth is the most basic of the disciplines, and involves encouraging the development of living things. Mages who specialize in the discipline spend much time learning about the anatomies of many diverse creatures and plants- living things are complex beings, and to maximize potential requires a deep understanding of the finer mechanisms of Life itself.

Healing is another widely practiced discipline, and focuses on strengthening the life in a particular part of the body to facilitate rapid recuperation. Mages specializing in the discipline know much about the healing process as a whole, and can also help living things fight off disease.

The third, smallest discipline within Life magic is Imbalance, and is the use of Life magic as a weapon. Mages who specialize in the discipline can cause normally innocuous diseases to become life threatening illness, and can interfere with the biological mechanism of life by accelerating the growth of one area of the body without increasing the capacity of the body to handle the imbalance.

There is a certain amount of overlap, and since Elves are immortal they have the time to master all three disciplines, which puts  less emphasis on specializing on one to the exclusion of the others. Elana is new at the art, however, so her initial discipline will inform her abilities for years to come. She says she is undecided between the Growth and Healing disciplines- she considers the use of Life Magic to destroy to be a perversion of her gift, as do most Mages. In fact, the few living Elves who are considered masters of that discipline are all old enough to have been children or novices during the Flight.

You set down the letter, reflecting on your own school of Magic. If Life is, fundamentally, the growth and increasing of Vitality, then what is Necromancy, exactly? You know it isn't just corpse related, and apparently it has applications on things that were never alive in the first place. It is certainly something to ponder.

It is still early morning, and the sun is shining. Should you reply to Elana now, or later, and what should you say? Do you have any other tasks you'd like to accomplish in town, or should you get straight to the experimentation?

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Notable Figures (click to show/hide)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2011, 07:36:21 pm »

-Make a zombie insect that will stand still, then see if we can take its vitality when it is behind a rock (out of our line of sight).
This experiment is probably no longer necessary, as we have seen that detect life does not work without line of sight (though there may still be other ways of detecting it).

We should also ask more about the strange things Pevo saw on his trip through the Grove Wasteland. When he talks about the undead he saw, ask him if there are ways to detect such creatures so you can avoid them. He might know if there are other ways to detect undead, but we have to be careful to have the subject turn up naturally in the course of the conversation.
[edit:]After that we should ask how he escaped the huge one that attacked him, both to have the conversation not end on the topic of detection and because I am kind of curious.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 10:01:10 pm by EveryZig »

lurtze1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2011, 02:47:19 am »

IF live can create diseases, can dead be a cure? That is something the ponder about.
I do know that if life is eternal change, then death would be ethernal order.
We should find out if life is the true oposite of death or just an substitute.

Oh and I'm disapointed that we didn't practice an evil laughter or chuckle, please trow me a bone here.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2011, 08:09:44 pm »

In addition to EveryZig's suggestion I would say that today should be used to get some of our planed experiments out of the way. That said I do have one to add test if we can convert vitality to mana, ideally something else's vitality rather then our own. If life mages can convert mana to vitality maybe necromancers can do the opposite   
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 155