Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 656521 times)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer!
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2011, 01:02:46 pm »

• Some beings have an alternative energy called Mana. Mana is used to cast spells and manipulate matter and energy. Mana can apparently be stored in objects to accomplish different tasks. We do not know if there is again, an upper limit to how much you can store, or if some objects are better at storing Mana than others.
We do know Crystals store Mana better.
Well, yeah, but besides that. I'll edit it to include the crystals, but I meant if everyday materials were better at storing Mana and whatnot. Say, Metal>Wood. Enchanting objects involves basically 'storing' Mana in them, so that's what I meant.

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2011, 01:30:30 pm »

This is awesome! Posting to watch, maybe even suggest in the future.
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2011, 10:05:32 pm »

See if you can create a zombie from several different creatures, say, the shell from one crayfish and the flesh from another.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2011, 10:18:44 pm »

With the doll experiment, we can save ourselves some time and effort by using a piece of rope. That should be flexible enough while still being readily available.

But the creepiness of the doll as opposed to that of rope! THE CREEPINESSSSSSS...

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2011, 05:04:11 am »

• Some beings have an alternative energy called Mana. Mana is used to cast spells and manipulate matter and energy. Mana can apparently be stored in objects to accomplish different tasks. We do not know if there is again, an upper limit to how much you can store, or if some objects are better at storing Mana than others.
We do know Crystals store Mana better.
Well, yeah, but besides that. I'll edit it to include the crystals, but I meant if everyday materials were better at storing Mana and whatnot. Say, Metal>Wood. Enchanting objects involves basically 'storing' Mana in them, so that's what I meant.

We can't store Mana in everyday materials, at least so far. We can store Vitality it seems although so far we have been unable to do anything useful with it.

Problem. The rock is not full of mana it is ful of vitality. I like the idea of having life stored in things as a way to have quick and dirty healing

I should mention that Vitality and Mana are not interchangeable- Kopout has the right idea there (Ninja!) There may be spells and effects that convert one into the other (a lot of Life magic involves converting Mana->Vitality, for instance) but one is not a substitute for the other. Mages could tell you more about that relationship.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2011, 02:48:44 pm »

See if you can create a zombie from several different creatures, say, the shell from one crayfish and the flesh from another.
I aprove of the !!Science!! inerent in this sugestion.

That said, I say we move on to the next level of Croakmancy: raising a sentient being. We should attempt to heal the body of a zombie, and study its effects.
It's all a matter of whether or not we're willing to kill somebody for that opportunity. Though, if we could attain the ashes of a dead body, and raise that, then heal it, I'm sure the effects would be at least mildly interesting.

That would invole killing some one and we arnt that kind of necromancer, we are on the straight and nerow. I like the idea of a good-ish necromancer

Finally, Attempt to get some Mana potions, or at least the crystals they come in. That way, we can accomplish more and go further with our experimentation.
EDIT: Oh, also, might as well try this out while we're at it. Attempt to turn Vitality into Mana. It'll be almost as good as Mana potions. Just be careful people don't start to notice vast swaths of decimated forest.
Buying mana potions would be very suspicius. we should go with option b

We should fashion or buy a doll that can move it's limbs (has joints) and try to animate it.
good idea, makining it ourselvs is probably safer.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 03:15:55 pm by kopout »
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2011, 03:04:01 pm »

We could to the same thing but substitute 'dead fish' for 'body'. We are a fisherelf after all.
Soaplent green is goblins!

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2011, 03:16:32 pm »

Good point.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

lurtze1

• Bay Watcher
  • Worshipper of the god of total chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2011, 12:50:35 pm »

bomp

Rockowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 07, 2011, 12:35:47 pm »

Combining different creatures could prove to be either problematic or very interesting, or both. Especially if they are not from the same species. Regardless, would the animated parts move separately or as one entity? As for sentience, I guess the neural network is what defines the creatures actions, for as far as you don't control it yourself that is.

Also, I suggest finding a caravan or merchant that doesn't really know you or could be suspicious of you, and ask them about the Mana Crystals. If they don't have them in supply, surely they should know where to find them. The ideal course of action depends really, how densely populated is this town our future Mistress of the Dark Arts lives in?

Further ahead we might want to explore the possibilities of invisibility spells or other means of escape or illusion. Between now and World Domination, someone's probably notice a thing or two, and we might not be able to mindcontrol them before they warn others and start a necro-hunt-gamepocalypse just yet. :P

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 07, 2011, 02:15:33 pm »

hhhhhoooaarrghh

Never get sick if you can help it. Semi-related, never set deadlines for yourself if you can help it- I wonder how many times I'll have to learn THAT lesson again.

Turn was gonna be up today, but I think I'm gonna go curl up and die instead. TO BE CONTINUED

Rockowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 07, 2011, 02:39:23 pm »

hhhhhoooaarrghh

Never get sick if you can help it. Semi-related, never set deadlines for yourself if you can help it- I wonder how many times I'll have to learn THAT lesson again.

Turn was gonna be up today, but I think I'm gonna go curl up and die instead. TO BE CONTINUED

Oh boy. That's what you get for being soaked in the rain while doing necromancy experiments, right? :P ...meh, don't worry 'bout us! Relax, eat and sleep well. Might be best to make a full recovery before doing anything, just make sure you get better!

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2011, 03:13:20 pm »

Turn was gonna be up today, but I think I'm gonna go curl up and die instead.
Can we raise your body if you do?  :P
But yes, good luck with the recovery.
Soaplent green is goblins!

lurtze1

• Bay Watcher
  • Worshipper of the god of total chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2011, 07:34:01 am »

Get better soon

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2011, 04:34:49 pm »

Spoiler: Author's Note (click to show/hide)

-Make a zombie insect that will stand still, then see if we can take its vitality when it is behind a rock (out of our line of sight).
This experiment is probably no longer necessary, as we have seen that detect life does not work without line of sight (though there may still be other ways of detecting it).

We should also ask more about the strange things Pevo saw on his trip through the Grove Wasteland. When he talks about the undead he saw, ask him if there are ways to detect such creatures so you can avoid them. He might know if there are other ways to detect undead, but we have to be careful to have the subject turn up naturally in the course of the conversation.
[edit:]After that we should ask how he escaped the huge one that attacked him, both to have the conversation not end on the topic of detection and because I am kind of curious.
Some of these experiments are pretty risky to do in the Valve. Starting fires, buying dolls for no explicable reason, trying to pump extra vitality into zombies and all of that run a high risk of us being caught. It's time to prepare to leave for Thrimesdur:

Inform our parents of our plans, ask Pevo if he has any recomendations for where to visit and let Elana know what we're planning in next letter to her. We should have time for one or two more letters before we leave, but it would be rude to put this off.

You realize that your growing power is making you capable of greater feats, and each new ability is potentially a new way for you to be discovered. You need to get more serious about leaving for Thrimesdur, starting now!

You pen a quick letter to Elana Foundwasps, expressing some interest in her activities and the choice she faces before mentioning how your recent studies have given you a keen interest in life outside the Vale. You then write two more letters- one to your Mother, and one to your Father, informing them of your decision. They deserve to know.

These letters are important enough- and their recipients distant enough- that you feel the need to insure their speedy delivery. You find a young elf boy, and after a bit of haggling he agrees to carry your letter- in exchange for three days' rations and TWO copper pieces, the greedy bastard! Sourly, you watch him dart off- at least he'll deliver the letters straightaway. He'd better, for that price!

Heading to the Temple, you find Pevo singing a Teaching Song to a group of small children. You smile- it's one of your favorites, about the First Great Caravan that came to Yicelafo after the Golgothan War, bearing news about Balkoth's fall and bringing many fine crafts and supplies never before seen in the Young Vale. There is a sense of wonder in the tale, of a renewal in interest in the places beyond the borders of the Vale, coupled with an assuaging of fear. As Pevo finishes, sending the children off to lunch, you sit down with him.

Your song echoes my thoughts, Pevo Zephyrtempest- I've a yearning to see the places beyond the Vale, to feel the wind in my hair.
Oh, do you now? You do- I recognize that glint in the eye. I won't try to stop you- in fact, I'll speak to the Elders on your behalf.
You will?
I will. I'll ask you a question- can you tell me the last time somebody left the Vale?
No. When was the last time somebody left the Vale?
Two hundred and eighteen years ago. And that was just an expedition to catch a thief in the Thrimesdur Caravan- they never left the Walled Jungle. The last time an Elf walked in human lands was Two hundred sixty three years ago, when an adventurous young Ranger decided to leave with the Caravan and travel the Jeweled Coast- he fell in love with the Sea, and only visits infrequently now. I don't believe he's returned to Yicelafo since before you were born, though he's sent letters.
Two and a half centuries? That's a pretty long time.
And it is even longer by human standards- the grandfathers in Thrimesdur have maybe heard stories about their grandfathers' grandfathers encounters with Elvenkind. Maybe- more likely, most humans have forgotten we exist. I fear we are becoming too insulated, too cut off from the rest of the world. No, I won't oppose your journey- I'll do whatever I can to aid you.
It is good to have your support, Pevo. Do you have any advice on what to bring, or where to go?
Go wherever your feet take you, though it will be easier to convince the Elders to let you go to Thrimesdur- they are more comfortable with them than other humans. There is all kinds of equipment you could take with you- food, rope, bedroll, candles and crowbars, fishhooks and flasks, paper, parchment, pouches! I doubt you can afford a pack animal, so you'll have to make do- take what you can carry, and remember you can always buy what you need in most towns. Oh, I know! Come with me.

Pevo clambers to his feet, then leads you to his study. Rooting around his desk, he eventually comes up with a scrap of paper, then presents it to you proudly.

Spoiler: Yicelafo Map (click to show/hide)

What is this thing?
A map of Yicelafo, of my own creation!
It is? What are these brown squiggles?
Oh, those are the cliffs surrounding the Vale.
And the round green squiggles on top?
Those are trees!
Uh-huh. And the green lines?
That would be the expanses of the Walled Jungle. And before you ask, those yellow dots are Elven hamlets, with Yicelafo proper being the one with the star, and the Black circle to the East is Larothor, "Squeezedlips." It is a moderately prosperous town of the Empire, and is where the caravans ferry across the Great River. It would be a good place to start your journey- from there, you can take the road or a boat South to visit the great cities, and if you reach the coast you'll be able to find a ship going just about anywhere.
Thank you- this is very useful! What if, say, I wanted to visit the Grove Wasteland?
Then you'd be a fool, but you'd be a fool that should take the road East out of Larothor. You'd want to travel to the Capitol of the Empire, where you'd choose to either head north across the wilderness or continue east until you hit the river- you should be able to get better maps there, anyway, to base your final decision on.
I suppose I'm a fool then- I'd like to visit the home of our ancestors. Were there many dangerous creatures there?
Nothing dwells there, that I encountered, apart from the skeletal monstrosity.
Is there a way to detect the undead creature? Magic or the like?
From what I know, any magic used to detect undead would require line of sight to the target, and at that point it is pretty obviously a skeleton monster.
How did you escape such a creature?
How do you think, girl? I ran faster than it! It seemed to give up after a few miles- for a while I had been worried it would just wait for me to collapse from exhaustion.
You ran for a few miles?
I wasn't born with this cane, you know! And I can still run when the occasion demands, at that. Here, I've got a smaller world map you can use for reference as well- Now off with ye, I've got some young'ns to teach. And I'll speak to the Elders.
Thank you, Pevo.

If we have time between necromancy experiments and our other preparations, start fishing/doing odd jobs for extra money. We'll need the money to get some basic supplies for our trip.
In addition to EveryZig's suggestion I would say that today should be used to get some of our planed experiments out of the way. That said I do have one to add test if we can convert vitality to mana, ideally something else's vitality rather then our own. If life mages can convert mana to vitality maybe necromancers can do the opposite   
EDIT: Oh, also, might as well try this out while we're at it. Attempt to turn Vitality into Mana. It'll be almost as good as Mana potions. Just be careful people don't start to notice vast swaths of decimated forest.

You decide to divide your free time between shoring up your meager cash reserves, and practicing your Necromantic arts. With the day half gone, you elect to spend the latter half of this day in experimentation at the Tree.

You first decide to try converting Vitality into Mana- it certainly seems like a Necromantic sort of thing to do, and didn't you hear a story about Necromancers killing people for power?

You Steal Vitality from a nearby tree, and easily handle the ball of Vitality that emerges. You think of the way Mana feels when it flows out of you when spellcasting, then imagine that flow reversed. Nothing. You try to focus on the Vitality, thinking to break it down somehow, but it seems as homogeneous as water. You try to pull it into you while directing it towards your Mana pool, but the Vitality just hits you and dissipates without noticeable effect.

Frustrated, You walk back to the tree and try to feel the Vitality within- maybe you can extract the Vitality as Mana directly. You can't detect the Vitality, so you Sense Vitality- you can feel the Vitality, but you just sense its presence, not its form or its flow. You try to reach in and take it with your thoughts, but you realize that you are simply preparing your Vitality stealing spell, not attempting something new. It seems like there should be a way to do this, but you can't figure it out.

This looks awesome!

We should fashion or buy a doll that can move it's limbs (has joints) and try to animate it.
I support this.
With the doll experiment, we can save ourselves some time and effort by using a piece of rope. That should be flexible enough while still being readily available.

You get a short length of Rope Reed Fiber rope, and settle down to weave it into a doll. The task is surprisingly more difficult than it looked when your mother did it for you as a child, but after some trial and error you hold a figure with a large, looped head, two long looped legs and short, uneven arms formed from the end pieces. Gingerly, you rest it on Rocky and attempt to Animate Object- nothing.

Puzzled, you try again, but the Mana fails to release properly. After a bit of thought, you remember that you were already manipulating Vitality the last time you cast this spell. Moving to a tree you haven't sapped yet, you Steal Vitality, extracting a ball of 2 Vitality from the living wood. As the ball of Vitality floats toward you, you gently redirect it to the Rope Doll, murmuring Animate Object.

Success- of a sort. The Vitality bleeds into the Doll, and your Necromantic Sight registers the Doll as possessing 2 Vitality... but the Doll just lies there. To your eye, the fibers of the rope bristle with purple fire, but it seems undirected. You poke at the Doll, but it remains limp and unresponsive. You attempt to Command Undead, but the spell fails to resolve- you realize you don't know what it's like being a Rope Doll, and the spell requires a certain amount of empathy.

You focus your mind on the Doll, trying to be the rope. It needs eyes, you think- if it had eyes, it could see. You try to imagine seeing through the eyes of the Doll, looking up at the canopy of the forest, and-

Alter Golem

You jump back, startled, as phosphorescent purple fire leaps to life! The head loop seems to gather the purple fire from throughout its body, concentrating it in the center of the loop. The head loop is alive with purple fire, but within the swirling energy is two bright points of purple flame- eyes.

You poke the Doll again, but still elicit no response. You yearn to experiment further, but you are out of mana for the day. You bury the Doll, and leave to do some fishing before sunset.

The next day is bright and sunny as you return to your experimentation. Digging up the Doll, it appears to have suffered no harm for its night in the dirt. You Command Undead, and this time your consciousness readily merges with the Doll. You can feel the dirt ingrained in the rope fiber- you try to lift your head, but fail. In fact, although you can look about freely with your eyes (even going so far as to peer out the back of your head at the stone you lay on,) you lack the strength to move the rest of your body. Curious- why is that?

Lacking ideas for further study regarding the Doll, you turn to accomplish one of your previous experiments- the zombification of a plant! You realize you probably should have uprooted a shrub yesterday in preparation for this task, since plants take a while to die... but then you remember you're sitting inside of a big ol' dead tree!

Moving outside, you focus on the tree and Raise Zombie- and stagger back, in pain and shock! Clutching a nearby tree to hold yourself up, you take stock- raising the tree not only drained your entire mana pool, but it appears to have caused you harm as well! Drawing a shuddering breath, you examine the oak- it's undead alright. The entire trunk is wreathed in dancing purple fire. Examining the hollow, you notice that where there used to be a deep gouge in the core of the tree there is now a purple cylinder bridging the gap. Purple fire seems to flow up and down the trunk within that cylinder.

Standing back, you gaze on the tree in dismay. Even now, in the middle of the day, you can see the purple glow faintly reflected by the surrounding trees. At night, this place will blaze like a bonfire. But what can you do about it? You have no mana, and destroying the tree by hand will be extremely difficult without help, especially since you are unsure exactly how much punishment this thing can take. Maybe nobody will walk this way in the night? It's hardly something you'd like to stake your life on, but it may be your only option. You need to think of something!

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Notable Figures (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Creations (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Planned Experiments (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: World Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Yicelafo Map (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 155