Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 656816 times)

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer!
« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2011, 05:42:55 pm »

Could we try to grab an axe from town or something? If that fails we can always try setting the tree on fire, but that would be incredibly dangerous.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2011, 05:50:10 pm »

We should attempt to replicate that casting-from-vitality thing, and use it to steal the vitality of the tree.
Soaplent green is goblins!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2011, 06:17:54 pm »

Gah, why would we go for the tree? Are there no leaves on the ground? No dead branches we could have dislodged!?

What fools we are!

But the question remains - can anyone other than ourselves even SEE the purple fire? When the skeleton was mentioned, nothing was mentioned about a purple flame - in fact, can you recall any mention of a purple flame, or is this simple the swirls of necromantic magic?

First, determine if we need to hide it at all - Walk a distance away, and see if the light grows dimmer - if it grows dimmer more quickly than the visibility of the tree, it is likely a byproduct of our magic vision rather than our true vision. We should be okay, in that case.

Unfortunately, I'm not even sure cutting it down would cause it to become inanimate - with focused meditation, could we regain some of our mana?

Then we must try undoing the magic, directly, perhaps with steal vitality.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 08, 2011, 07:27:30 pm »

Definitely steal vitality.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2011, 12:14:22 am »

Definitely steal vitality.
Promblem, we have no mana left.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2011, 12:58:17 am »

The absolute worst case scenario is that someone finds the tree right away (unlikely, but possible), is either a mage or the sort of person that randomly casts Sense Vitality at dead oak trees in the woods (also unlikely), realizes that the purple glow on the tree is the product of necromancy (very unlikely; Pevo was the last elf to even see an undead, let alone examine it's aura) and then immediately comes to the conclusion that Nym, the fisher-elf and friendly part-time roof thatcher, is secretly a necromancer (too implausable to even bear considering). The situation is bad, yes, but it's not nearly as bad as it seems at first glance.

Face it: we're panicking. Stop. Breathe. Doesn't that feel better? There's still six hours till dusk. Eight until it's properly dark. GlyphGryph has the right idea here. Do the test that GlyphGryph suggested. Rocky (who had 2 vitality) was invisible to Sense Vitality at a distance of 20 feet. If the range is linear with vitality, then the tree should become invisible at a range of 50 feet. If it's exponential (5 feet per point of vitality squared), then the necromantic aura will become invisible past 125 feet.

We have time to deal with this, as long as we don't do anything hasty. It cost 10 mana and 2 vitality to raise this thing, and we don't know what the conversion rate between mana and vitality is, but we do know that if we cast a spell that's too big for us, we will not be able to stop it, it will drain the last of our vitality and then we will die. I like those odds a lot less than I like the odds of walking back to town (calmly!), getting a mana potion using the excuse we came up with before (it's for our upcoming trip to ) and then returning in two hours [/]to deal with this on a full pool of mana.[/b]

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2011, 08:45:43 am »

I like those odds a lot less than I like the odds of walking back to town (calmly!), getting a mana potion using the excuse we came up with before (it's for our upcoming trip to ) and then returning in two hours [/]to deal with this on a full pool of mana.[/b]

This works, but by your logic I really see no harm in preparing for our trip with the rest of the day and dealing with it tomorrow when we are fresh. Pending the results of Glyphs' test that is.

It is slightly more risk but saves wasting a potion that we aren't sure how easily we can get hold of.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 09, 2011, 12:08:17 pm »

Also, after we handle this problem, we should go see our best friend, tell him about our plans to leave, ask him for advice and maybe if he mightn't be interested in joining us at some point in the future, possible?

The last part may not be the best idea, but getting someone we could trust who believed us to not be evil would be a huge boon.

Rockowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 09, 2011, 05:31:42 pm »

I agree with Sense Vitality. Regrettably costing us valuable mana, but probably be worth to check.

I like those odds a lot less than I like the odds of walking back to town (calmly!), getting a mana potion using the excuse we came up with before (it's for our upcoming trip to ) and then returning in two hours [/]to deal with this on a full pool of mana.[/b]

Great idea, but we could use said mana to Command Undead. Let the tree bury itself underground or hide somewhere. Chances are someone will find us with a giant walking undead tree, though, they're not the most stealthily of beings. I really like the idea of commanding a tree because:

1: It's huge, strong and awesome.
2: It probably doesn't have as much of a soul as a bear or other animal, thus should be much easier and cheaper to control.
3:
I doubt you can afford a pack animal,
Need I say more?

Optional: imagine the possibilities of a giant corpse-eating tree for a (corpse)storage, mobile laboratory and means of transportation.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2011, 05:37:07 pm »

No, we should just destroy it before someone finds it. We can make other zombies, when we won't get killed for it.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 10, 2011, 01:07:04 pm »

Fuck, that.

Use 'Alter Golem' spell to give the tree eyes, rudimentary muscles, and some other sensory organs.

Also, vote for names on our giant undead walking tree abomination thing.

EDIT: This is after we go and get a mana crystal/potion, of course.
EDITEDIT: Oh, and failing that, do the above with the doll instead. You know, except for the eyes. We should probably bugger off and find an axe as well, just in case.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 01:08:49 pm by woose1 »

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 10, 2011, 01:49:13 pm »

Guys, do you remember the part where being discovered means going to war with everyone, a thing which we are not prepared for and don't actually want?
Soaplent green is goblins!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 10, 2011, 01:57:39 pm »

Guys, do you remember the part where being discovered means going to war with everyone, a thing which we are not prepared for and don't actually want?
But you forget that we have GIANT FUCKING MAGICAL TREES.

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 10, 2011, 02:36:01 pm »

But you forget that we have GIANT FUCKING MAGICAL TREES.
We have 1 giant magical tree. A giant dry magical tree. I wonder how vulnerable it is to fire? Do we really want to see how long it lasts against all of our elven brethren? Also, we are not evil. This has been explicitly stated. We should not be trying to give people a reason to destroy us, especially considering our limited supply of mana at the current time.
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

lurtze1

• Bay Watcher
  • Worshipper of the god of total chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 11, 2011, 05:36:29 am »

command it to be, well a tree. this way the thing wont get noticed, maybe a hey that tree is kinda dead but nothing more. and if we do this we can use it later. FOR SCIENCE!!!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 155