Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 656772 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer!
« Reply #165 on: December 21, 2011, 11:45:37 pm »

Spoiler: Author's Note (click to show/hide)

On another note, how big WAS the tree? It was the dead remnants of a tree, right? Would it be possible to cover it with some sort of cloth or cover? Maybe we could, I dunno... paint it? The thing only has 5vp, so going at it with an axe is actually still very much a possibility if its larger. Maybe hack off some lives or something - the thing has less vitality than a healthy elf, it can't be that hard to re-kill, right? Even with the hardness, it should only take like 8 hits.

[The tree (or rather, the largest remaining chunk of tree) is about twice your size, which is to say something like ten feet long and quite broad. If I happened to be stealing DnD size categories, then you would be a Medium creature while this tree is Large.]

Key point to note: We don't have any mana right now. If Pevo asks us to use mana during the "how to use your mana to make potions" lesson (and, let's be honest, he will), we will not be able to do that. Pevo's sure to notice something's up, and we don't have a good explaination for what we did with all our mana. Let's not risk it. Let's beg off learning for today, saying that we had planned to talk to Omo (our ranger friend, remember him?) about your route and then pick up a few other things for the trip today, but promise to come by tomorrow and learn how, since it sounds extremely useful.

Beg mana potion > go back > THINK THE NEXT OPTION THROUGH CAREFULLY, we really can't use another critical overshoot right now > solve tree issue.

-What, do you have someplace else to be?
I... actually, I've been meaning to chat with my friend, Omo Thunderjaw. I haven't spoken with him in a while, and as a Ranger he'd have some good advice for my journey. If it's all the same to you, can I learn tomorrow?
Sure, sure, don't let me keep you.
Thanks! Ah, Pevo, I don't suppose I could persuade you to part with that potion, could I?
Oh this? You don't want this.
Sure I do! I've never messed with mana potions before, it'd be nice to know what I'm getting into, I think.
Heh- alrighty then, have it your way. Actually, while my mind's on the subject, take this bag, too.
...Pevo, there must be half a dozen silver in here! I can't take this!
Sure you can! You might have scraped together enough coin to get by outside the Vale, but I'd like you to do more than get by. Besides, the Caravan from Thrimesdur will be here soon, and you might spy something you need for your journey.
Wait, really? Don't you think it's a bit early in the Spring yet?
Early it may be, but the Caravan is coming, no mistake. You haven't heard? They crossed the river yesterday, and should be moving through Yicelafo tomorrow. Ahh, my mind is slipping- I won't be able to teach you tomorrow, I'll be spending the day at the Caravan Fair.
Oh come on, the Caravan should be here a solid week! Besides, the festivities won't really kick in for a few days, once all the other elves arrive.
Aye, there's the rub! I'm not about to let every other elf in the Vale pick over the good stuff before I get there, and I'm certainly not going to be last to hear news of foreign lands!
Alright, fair enough- you've really done more than enough already. Thank you, Pevo.
Not a problem, not a problem- will I see you at the Fair?
Maybe not tomorrow, but we'll see. Farewell!

You wave goodbye, weighed down with Pevo's gifts. You give the Mana Potion a quick examination- the bottle is a dark, translucent blue, and fits comfortably in your closed fist. Unstoppering the bottle, you peer inside, sloshing about a dark liquid. Red, maybe? You catch a faint fruity scent wafting from the bottle- it seems familiar, though you can't quite place it. Carefully, you stopper the bottle back up and tuck it into your coin pouch.

Although visiting Omo Thuderjaw had not been in your plans prior to your conversation with Pevo, it had been something you wanted to do before leaving anyway. Besides, you can hardly not see him after using him as an excuse, and it's not like this should take long.

Without wasting time, You head off to Omo's house. It isn't all that far from your own- elves have children seldom enough that when an elven couple bring a child into the world, they often move nearer parents with another child or those expecting, just so the kids can grow up together. Omo and Elana were your only childhood friends, and though you've largely gone your separate ways you still share that special bond.

You find Omo chopping wood in his backyard, shirtless and sweaty. He is tall, even by elven standards, easily a couple hands higher than yourself. Unlike most elves, he keeps his blond hair cut short rather than gathered in a braid. His face would be handsome were it not for the prominence of the famous Thunderjaw chin- his eyes twinkle merrily as he sees you walk down the lane, and he leans back on his axe.

Ho, Nym! I'd begun to think you've been avoiding me! I haven't seen you in what, a week?
Hey Omo- has it been that long? Well, I've been busy lately.
Oh? And what have you been busy doing? Teaching the fish to sing?
As a matter of fact, I happen to be in the midst of preparations to leave the Vale.
Really, leave Yicelafo? Why?
I've got it in my mind to travel. See the world, something beyond this forest and river.
Since when? You've always been content to faff about doing this and that before now.
Well, that was then and this is now- people can change, you know.
Yeah, I know. Good luck getting the Elders to let you go- I've asked to take trips out of the Vale myself, without much luck I might add!
Actually, Pevo said he'd speak to the Elders on my behalf.
Pevo Zephyrtempest? I didn't realize you two knew each other that well.
Well, we've been chatting for the last week or so. He's partly my inspiration to travel, and he seemed supportive of the idea- he even gave me a bit of spending money.
Oh did he? It figures, I suppose- I'm sure if I had perky breasts like yours I'd get all kinds of nice things.
You'd look pretty funny with big breasts under that big chin- one might be mistaken for thinking you had no neck!
Ha! I suppose I would, at that. Say, Nym, as long as you're pulling strings to get out of Yicelafo, how about you pull one more and take me with you?
What? I thought you were training to be a Ranger.
Half the reason I became a Ranger in the first place was so I could wander out along the borders of the Vale- every patrol, I see the horizons outside the forest and wonder what's on the other side. Besides, you'll certainly need my help! What do you say?
I...

On the one hand, Omo is right- a trained Ranger (well, half-trained, anyway) would be a valuable companion on the road, and the Elders will probably be more amendable to your journey if you have a partner. On the other hand, Omo doesn't know about your unique talents, and you don't know how he'd respond to the knowledge. Necromancy nearly caused the extinction of your race, and that's the kind of thing nobody can take lightly. Hiding your talents from a traveling companion would be extremely difficult. What should you do?

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Notable Figures (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Creations (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Planned Experiments (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Maps (click to show/hide)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 21, 2011, 11:55:32 pm »

We'd be honoured to have him come. If we're ever going to find anyone we can trust, this would be him. Especially once we are free from the vale, we will have opportunities to broach the subject - at the least he might avoid killing us outright to return to the vale.

If he discovers us, or we decide the time has come to tell him...

Convince him we mean well, and this trip is, in many ways, a voluntary exile so that we do not hurt anyone. Tell him we brought him because we trust him to keep us on the straight and narrow and help us maintain control over any darker impulses. Tell him of our plans to use our power to cleanse the dark taint from our ancestral homelands or die trying. We may have magic that caused problems long ago, but we are not going to let it go to waste if there is good to be done with it.

If he remains unconvinced, we start lying. We can say the elders discovered our ability and that this exile was their idea. That, if they okayed him accompanying us, they trusted in him to serve the purpose of being the needed reliable influence. Ask him at least to return the elders before killing us, and to hear their support for our plan.

But really, if we are to stay good, we must not let ourselves become to isolated.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 22, 2011, 12:16:01 am »

Agree to let him come and try to get him on our side latter.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 22, 2011, 12:45:48 am »

If he remains unconvinced, we start lying. We can say the elders discovered our ability and that this exile was their idea. That, if they okayed him accompanying us, they trusted in him to serve the purpose of being the needed reliable influence. Ask him at least to return the elders before killing us, and to hear their support for our plan.

But really, if we are to stay good, we must not let ourselves become to isolated.

The whole lying about the elders would have to be a last resort kinda thing though. We can't exactly have him speaking to the elders about us, because if they know they can and will get every ranger and elf that can fight after us. Also on the topic of the here and now, we should say we need to think about it for a while.
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 22, 2011, 01:33:19 am »

But IF that happens, it will be AFTER we leave the area - something the elves are not keen to do. We can dissapear.

It's a last resort, for sure, meant only to buy us time to escape rather than because we believe the lies will hold up.

Again
Be relived at his offer, and happy, not hesitant, and tell him you'd be immensely grateful to have him along

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 22, 2011, 10:25:06 am »

Spoiler: Retort (click to show/hide)

Besides all that, this is one of my favorite RPs on B12. I am definitely looking forward to watching this RP's details and storyline fleshed out and expanded. :) Great job, mate, keep it up!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 10:30:21 am by Ehndras »
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 22, 2011, 10:53:56 am »

We're definitely bringing him along, there's no doubts there. We're planning to follow the path that our people took through Thirmesdur from the ancient elven homeland, and it'll be dangerous. Having a trained ranger along really would help out, especially one that's a good friend as well. Explain that we hope to find out as much we can about our people's history and heritage and how they lived and the ancient magics that were lost after the war.

There's no reason to explain to him about our powers now, but there's also no reason to lie about them once we're gone. The truth here is our best weapon: We want to discover ancient magics long lost to our people and break the necromantic curse on our ancient homeland.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 22, 2011, 10:58:56 am »

Spoiler: Ehndras (click to show/hide)

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 22, 2011, 03:34:05 pm »

We can bring Omo along, but why not buy a weapon or so? If he can't discover that you practice necromancy, then getting a weapon and learning to use it as an alternative can help conceal your magic, and with that spending money Pevo gave us, I think we can get one.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 22, 2011, 03:41:57 pm »

Learning from him during the trip is DEFINITELY a good idea.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 22, 2011, 06:11:58 pm »

Take him along, and be glad. You have a secret, but It shouldn't be all too hard to hide. If the time comes, one can always slip into the night, or fake death. but for the time being, we can learn from him some needed skills, ask him questions about magic (I think I remember correctly that even the knowledge of a human mage pales in comparison to a lay-elf's).

Eventually, we'll discover how prudish and law-oriented he is, and from that decide whether to open up to him and have him as an ally, or become "accidentally" separated, in a crowd or out on the road. We may have to pause our experimenting for a bit, but there will be chances to test a few things (when you are "exploring the town" or "going on a stroll down the creek") Preferably, we should come out to him or leave him before he discovers us.

Don't forget to hide the evidence, now that you got the potion.

He may be able to tell us if the purple flame is visible or not, with some carefully planned experimentation

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 22, 2011, 07:59:44 pm »

We may have to pause our experimenting for a bit

This is something we can't afford to do. Evidence seems to point towards going without using our magic make it manifest itself on its own, which isn't something we want to happen.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 22, 2011, 09:02:18 pm »

We may have to pause our experimenting for a bit

This is something we can't afford to do. Evidence seems to point towards going without using our magic make it manifest itself on its own, which isn't something we want to happen.

When I say pause our experimenting, I don't mean stop necromancy all together. I mean keeping it hidden, and therefore small scale (keep your necro-buildup down by doing brief and unfortunately petty experiments with beheaded ants etc while he's sleeping or away). Pause experimenting means not moving on to graveyards and giant trees right away. One can still practice it without making huge leaps and bounds, and while still remaining hidden. And most likely, when we hear the call of the grave, we can split from our friend in the night.

Elvisdogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 22, 2011, 09:20:29 pm »

Or we could just carry something inanimate. Then when he get a few minutes by ourselves we could just steal some vitality from a random plant (3 mp), put it into said inanimate object (4 mp), and this would allow us to have a sort of vitality dump for healing purposes. And if the purple glow is a problem we could just steal it back and it would dissapate or heal us depending on if we are injured.

This would allow us to expend our mana while still practicing our abilities/trying experiments.
It was for a film project. I regret nothing.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 22, 2011, 10:40:48 pm »

Or we could just carry something inanimate. Then when he get a few minutes by ourselves we could just steal some vitality from a random plant (3 mp), put it into said inanimate object (4 mp), and this would allow us to have a sort of vitality dump for healing purposes. And if the purple glow is a problem we could just steal it back and it would dissipate or heal us depending on if we are injured.

This would allow us to expend our mana while still practicing our abilities/trying experiments.

Also, we could use the rock's glow as a way to test whether our friend can see it. We'd just need a reason for there being a purple light which wouldn't cause our friend to investigate. Like if we can get the spell faint enough that the rock doesn't visibly glow, but has a slight purple hue, then he wouldn't likely assume its magical (even less likely that he tests its vitality), but it might stand out to him, and he might remark on it. So if you found some quartz, and gave it minute vitality, he might mistake it for another mineral. You could palm it and steal its vitality the next time you have a chance.

Notice that no one has yet remarked on purple being associated with necromancy.

Also, he might know how to make mana potions. just might. Do all elves learn magic?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 155