Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 656515 times)

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer!
« Reply #225 on: January 04, 2012, 10:46:32 pm »

We definitely want to have a reliable way to de-animate it before we swallow it.
Stomach acid.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

Elvisdogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 04, 2012, 11:04:45 pm »

We definitely want to have a reliable way to de-animate it before we swallow it.
Stomach acid.

My thoughts exactly
It was for a film project. I regret nothing.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 05, 2012, 12:29:30 am »

Stomach acid.

My thoughts exactly

Does removal of the flesh deanimate? I mean, so far we have killed things by bisecting them in some way. but what if the vitality lies in the bone?

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 05, 2012, 01:58:04 am »

Stomach acid.
My thoughts exactly
Does removal of the flesh deanimate? I mean, so far we have killed things by bisecting them in some way. but what if the vitality lies in the bone?
Stomach acid will dissolve bone.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 05, 2012, 02:16:23 am »

Stomach acid.
My thoughts exactly
How quickly, though? I guess one needn't worry about the time-frame of minnow bones. As of yet, there is no evidence of people detecting undead at all, so I guess I'm worrying too much. Though if we can watch from the fish's perspective while it is digested, we might learn something from how long it takes to undiedie.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 05, 2012, 03:38:08 am »

Stomach acid.
My thoughts exactly
How quickly, though? I guess one needn't worry about the time-frame of minnow bones. As of yet, there is no evidence of people detecting undead at all, so I guess I'm worrying too much. Though if we can watch from the fish's perspective while it is digested, we might learn something from how long it takes to undiedie.
It shouldn't take long. Hydrochloric acid is powerful stuff.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 05, 2012, 04:56:12 am »

This whole plan of swallowing a live minnow is really an obviously terrible idea, but I can't find it in me to object. Go ahead and do it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 05, 2012, 07:46:26 am »

Psh, it won't be alive.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 05, 2012, 02:58:42 pm »

Dissecting the fish will kill it anyway, so we should probably just do the drain vitality test on both, unless we can Command Undead to make them remove their bones without destroying themselves.

I was actually opting for the "swallow them whole" route. I mean, we can nibble on their fins for a taste, but imagine seeing inside your own anatomy. We might even see something important.

Before we do that, though, we should see if we can make them self terminated. Don't want to try the whole "steal vitality" trick on something that's INSIDE you...
Eat one of the minnows. Does it taste like it's spoiled at all during the time it's been zombified, or did the unlife preserve and protect it from bacteria and mold growing on it?

You move into the bushes by the side of the road, out of sight of passerby. Composing yourself, you cast Command Undead- it's easier now that you've practiced, and you command one of the minnows. You command, Die, but no response. Cease, Still, End, Self-Terminate... no luck.

You decide to deal with the dead things the way any elf deals with a dead thing- eat it. Quickly, before anyone can see you, you scarf down the minnow. It tastes pretty terrible, what with being a cold raw minnow and all. There's a bad moment where you can't make yourself swallow it and it sticks in the back of your throat, but with supreme effort of will (aided by making the minnow "swim") you manage to get it down.

You are rewarded with one of the most singularly unpleasant and repulsive experiences you've ever had. Although you lose the sensation of the minnow wriggling down your gullet after it gets through your throat, you can still sense its presence in your esophagus with your Necromantic Sight. You think you can feel it moving, but you're pretty sure that's just psychosomatic. From the minnow's point of view, you now know that your esophagus is a slimy, disgusting place that squeezes your food down and down. Soon the minnow hits your stomach, and you have a few moments to enjoy the sight of your half-digested dinner sloshing about before the acid melts the minnow's eyes.

Unfortunately, this does not kill the minnow- not right away, anyway. You are vaguely aware of the flesh of the minnow dissolving away- you are pretty sure most of the tail is gone by the time contact is severed, and your Necromantic Sight stops registering anything in your stomach. You are queasy, [8] but don't vomit. So that's something, anyway.

The thought of trying that again- even without Command Undead in effect- turns your stomach. You decide to use your magic to eliminate the other minnow. This is a good time to knock off one of your planned experiments- leaving the minnow tucked away inside the bag, you focus on it and Steal Vitality. Success! You don't steal an appreciable amount of Vitality, but you kill the minnow (again) and now know that Steal Vitality does not require Line of Sight- not through cloth and leather, anyway.

We should probably go find Omo. If we're going to be camping with eachother for who knows how long, we may as well find out if he snores.
   Go find your friend at the fair and talk about what traveling supplies you'll bring along today or tomorrow, whenever it's convenient and then buy them. If possible, some time over the next few days find Pevo and learn how to make mana potions, this is practically a must have skill, we need it and leaving before learning how to make them would suck.
   I doubt we'll be able to/ have time to do any experiment during the fair so we'll have to put that on the backburner.

EDIT: Also don't forget to eat the fish, other wise they'll smell.

You decide to go find Omo- you can pool resources tonight and be ready to take care of business tomorrow. You walk further into Yicelafo, the path faintly illuminated by the lights in the treehouse windows above. At this hour, there are few travelers about, but you aren't alone when you get to the Canopy Bridge. The Canopy Bridge is the main thoroughfare between the North and South sides of Yicelafo, composed of a massive rope bridge anchored to two massive trees on either end, stabilized by ropes to the ground and other, smaller trees, and stretching whole across the Great River before dividing into a mess of smaller bridges and arboreal pathways.

From your vantage point atop the South end of the Canopy Bridge, you can see campfires and tents stretching to the south, the shadowed late-night revelers moving from camp to camp. Looking for any given elf in the dark at this hour would be a difficult task, but you know Omo. When you reach the ground, you listen to the snatches of song drifting through the trees, and head in the general direction of the bawdiest, most enthusiastic chorus. Before long, you come to a sizable group of elves well into their cups, and it is easy to pick out Omo's tall figure among the celebrants.

Oy, Omo!
Nym! Glad you could make it- come on, you'll have to do some serious drinking if you want to catch up!
Nuts to that- let's head back to your tent and work out what we'll do tomorrow. I've got a few things packed for our trip, but I want to know what you have.
Omo's face becomes sober. Oh... you haven't heard. Come on, then, let's go.
Heard what, Omo?
Omo's only response is to press his mug of wine into your hand, and start walking away. The thought of alcohol makes you distinctly ill at the moment, and you run to catch up.
Omo! What haven't I heard?
The caravan brought news. Bad news. The world's on fire out there, Nym- there's no way the Elders will let us leave.
What? What happened? I know banditry was on the rise when the Fall Caravan came through, but hardly anything happens in human lands during the Winter.
The banditry is worse now, so they say, and the monstrous races have been raiding in force. But that's not the worst bit- there's a Necromancer in Thrimesdur.
WHAT!?! But... that's impossible! There's never been more than one Necromancer active at once, not since the War!
Oh, you've heard about the Necromancer along the Jeweled Coast then?

Omo misses your dumbfounded expression as he stoops before a tent, lifting the flap and ushering you inside. It's a simple tent, plain canvas held up by sticks and a nearby tree trunk- more of a lean-to than a tent, really. You lay down your pack and lean against it as Omo fumbles the flap closed.

So, yeah... between the Necromancers and the banditry and the fighting and all, we haven't got a hope of leaving.
Omo, I'm tired and not thinking straight. Can you start at the beginning?
Well, nobody knows much about the Necromancer along the Jeweled Coast- nobody is really sure where he is, even, but he has united the Pirate Lords and is ravaging the coastal trade, so we hear. Apparently he's been doing this for some time, but only recently has it come out he's a Necromancer. The one in, er, Thrimesdur, that one's new. Some blighter from some random village, just started up and raising hordes of the undead. He was tricky about it at first, so nobody stepped on him when he was starting out, but now he's got a massive army marauding back and forth across the Empire.
Is anyone stopping him?
Last word is he smashed a huge Imperial Army led by the Emperor's son, and every fight he wins swells his forces. They say he's marching on the Capital, but rumor says he's actually heading this way, to the cities of the Great River.
Bloody hell! What's with the merriment!?! You'd think there would be panic in the streets!
The hilarity is a bit forced- you can tell. I expect the Elders will call for full mobilization, mandatory conscription, seal the borders.
Are we going to war? I mean, out there- fighting by Man's side?
I don't know, Nym. I just don't know. We'll talk about it tomorrow, I need to sleep now. It's been a long day.

With that, he promptly curls up and falls asleep. You try to follow his example, settling with your pack for a pillow, but your mind is racing. Two other Necromancers? And apparently they're both thoroughly evil, or at least megalomaniacal- did they start that way? Were they like you, once? And what will you do now?

It's a long time before you fall asleep.

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Omo Thunderjaw (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Notable Figures (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Planned Experiments (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Maps (click to show/hide)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 05, 2012, 03:12:28 pm »

Okay, in my mind, leaving is now more important than ever. We need to convince Omo of that. If the elders do not give their approval, we will have to leave without it. With or without him. We need to make clear that it is vitally important to us, and that we can do far more good out there actually learning about what is going on than being conscripted into the army or something.

DrVoltron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 05, 2012, 05:44:19 pm »

Okay, in my mind, leaving is now more important than ever. We need to convince Omo of that. If the elders do not give their approval, we will have to leave without it. With or without him. We need to make clear that it is vitally important to us, and that we can do far more good out there actually learning about what is going on than being conscripted into the army or something.

This
I'm a man, and I can change... if I have to... I guess....

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 05, 2012, 05:47:58 pm »

I think we should wait and see what the elders are planning before we try to convince him of anything. If nothing else, I't would be nice to get some better info then rar giant undead army and seems to be winning before we go off into the lands being actively terrorized by another necromancer. Good information is our friend, and if we make it clear we really want to leave we need a better reason then just because for when he asks why.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 05, 2012, 05:56:45 pm »

I say we leaved before the Valley is sealed. If the Necromancers army is close by we may get a chance to talk to someone with strengths like us, and maybe convince them to not attack the eleves.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 05, 2012, 07:42:44 pm »

We have to get out of the valley. We can't trust the other two necromancers, and probably can't trust anyone else until we do something undeniably good in plain sight.

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 05, 2012, 09:23:30 pm »

Approaching the other necros would be dangerous being as they would see us as threats almost certainly. I suggest, as a long-term plan, we should attempt to get out of the forest and once out observe the undead. see if we can learn anything from these other necromancers. We should also stick around for the counsel that the elders may be able to bestow the knowledge of upon us such as weapons they have against necromancers, or if they have some way to sense if a necromancer is coming they're way. Never hurts to be prepared. Also, we should see if we could find a body of a boar around the fair of course after meeting with the council to see if they can sense undead. Raising it may level us and show us something new about raising large animals. Also, remember the ant? it took down several other ants before being killed itself, showing that creatures we raise have largely increased endurance and strength. So this boar could be useful to us.

EDIT: TL;DR
long-term chase down army, watch from a distance, go to council, find dead boar in fair raise it. didnt realize it was such a Wall'o text
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 09:30:48 pm by joemoben »
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 155