Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 656743 times)

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer!
« Reply #420 on: January 19, 2012, 07:32:50 pm »

Its unfortunate that our magic is so flashy, difficult to experiment in peace.

I think we should buy a small articulated doll of some sort in the fair with a bit of our leftover change and then later when we have some privacy, animate it and see if it can be made to move.

Agreed! totally!

Also, the crystal availability could be a major problem. What type of crystal is it? It supposedly dissolves, so is it a mineral salt of some sort? Or do the elves see no difference between solution and suspension?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 19, 2012, 08:10:36 pm »

Can the crystals be made or propagated?

Can vitality be focused into a potion instead of mana...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #422 on: January 19, 2012, 08:20:54 pm »

More importantly: Will the consumption of a crystalline mineral lead to kidney stones and death?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 19, 2012, 08:44:39 pm »

We should probably find out where to buy those crystals at some point.

Also, no more backing out on our current plans. We can't afford to waver back and forth between Thrimesdur and the Coast; we need to pick one and stick with it. I don't care which; but we really do need to decide now and stop changing our minds.

Thrimesdur
Pros: We don't need the Council's permission. It's in the correct direction for our ultimate goal. The people there are friendly.
Cons: No magic amulet. Currently at war with a necromancer. Only 150 silver in profit from potions**; barely enough to start our own business.

Jewelled Coat
Pros: We get a magic amulet. We get ~30 silver a day*. Easier journey with the caravan taking us.
Cons: We need to get the Council to approve it. It's the opposite direction from the Sacred Grove. Pirates.

*The rate of return on mana potions is 1.4 silver back per 1 silver spent, less the cost of the bottles and whatever the merchant wants in food/rent for two elves. I'm assuming that will come out to < 10sp per day, but I'm leaving a pretty big margin of error there.
**If we ultimately decide on Thrimesdur, we can still ask the merchant to let us make mana potions*** to him to sell for the 5 days he'll be here, earning us 150 silver total.
***Making three potions of 2 mana each is probably more profitable than making one potion of 6 mana each. But whatever the merchant asks for, really.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 19, 2012, 08:56:24 pm »

We should probably find out where to buy those crystals at some point.

Also, no more backing out on our current plans. We can't afford to waver back and forth between Thrimesdur and the Coast; we need to pick one and stick with it. I don't care which; but we really do need to decide now and stop changing our minds.

Thrimesdur
Pros: We don't need the Council's permission. It's in the correct direction for our ultimate goal. The people there are friendly.
Cons: No magic amulet. Currently at war with a necromancer. Only 150 silver in profit from potions**; barely enough to start our own business.

Jewelled Coat
Pros: We get a magic amulet. We get ~30 silver a day*. Easier journey with the caravan taking us.
Cons: We need to get the Council to approve it. It's the opposite direction from the Sacred Grove. Pirates.

*The rate of return on mana potions is 1.4 silver back per 1 silver spent, less the cost of the bottles and whatever the merchant wants in food/rent for two elves. I'm assuming that will come out to < 10sp per day, but I'm leaving a pretty big margin of error there.
**If we ultimately decide on Thrimesdur, we can still ask the merchant to let us make mana potions*** to him to sell for the 5 days he'll be here, earning us 150 silver total.
***Making three potions of 2 mana each is probably more profitable than making one potion of 6 mana each. But whatever the merchant asks for, really.
I say we try for the amulet first, then if we don't get the council's permission we'll come up with another plan.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 19, 2012, 09:28:24 pm »

Lay out our two options to Omo. Ask if he has a preference.

For myself, I'd prefer we focus on our original plan and ignore the amulet. But there is time, and we might learn things helpful for our plan on the coast, so I'm not totally averse to going in that direction if he'd prefer it.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 19, 2012, 10:45:07 pm »

I will note that the figures Pevo quoted you for potions are retail value- he's assuming you'll trade them directly to the consumer (e.g make potion in exchange for healing/food/shelter on the road.) Revereorder is going to resell them, so he won't pay full market value- something you can/will negotiate with him for, however. No, I'm not pulling numbers out of my ass, I've got a handy dandy spreadsheet to refer to.

Anywho, something I've been meaning to do for a while but haven't gotten around to- talk about the map!

That map. Now, this map is basically scribbled on a napkin, so don't expect perfect accuracy, but it's good enough to be getting on with. Since we're discussing travel, I figure'd I'd better throw out a rough scale and some travel times for your deliberation.

Thrimesdur- from river to river- is about 400 miles across, which is something like the width of Poland. To put it another way, traveling from one end to the other without any major interruptions would take you about 17 days on foot, 13 on a horse. Much like Poland, Thrimesdur is basically one big plain- rolling hills near the mountains, broad expanses of plains, and small, dense forests near rivers and the Black Swamps. From Yicelafo, it would be 300 miles (13 days) of walking to the Sacred Grove, barring poor weather, bandits, undead armies, so on and so forth.

The Jeweled Coast is something like 300 miles from end to end, although none of the cities' influence extends very far inland. Each city is rather unique, with its own system of government and resident population. It's only about 100 miles from Yicelafo to the nearest city, but since that journey is through thick, treacherous rainforest you're still looking at 6 solid days of travel on foot- sticking with the Caravan (and its associated carts and wagons) ups that estimate to 9 days, barring monsters, savage animals, hostile tribes of lizardfolk, severe weather, so on and so forth.

I think that covers everything that might factor into the immediate "east or west" decision facing You, so I leave you to it.

Elvisdogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 19, 2012, 11:20:12 pm »

Screw east or west head south into the gap between the western river of Thrimesdur and the mountains separating it from the Jeweled Coast. Take Omo with us and we shall become hermits and shall practice nercomancy in private until 300 years laters where we will emerge as a powerful necromancer and a master ranger. Our armies shall consist of the undead corpses of the resident man-bear-pigs combined with golems of honey stolen from the local giant bee populations. MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Or on a more serious note:

Head into Thrimesdur. I mean the place has massive amounts of undead correct? Just steal the damn amulet and leave.
It was for a film project. I regret nothing.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 20, 2012, 12:00:23 am »

Screw east or west head south into the gap between the western river of Thrimesdur and the mountains separating it from the Jeweled Coast. Take Omo with us and we shall become hermits and shall practice nercomancy in private until 300 years laters where we will emerge as a powerful necromancer and a master ranger. Our armies shall consist of the undead corpses of the resident man-bear-pigs combined with golems of honey stolen from the local giant bee populations. MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Or on a more serious note:

Head into Thrimesdur. I mean the place has massive amounts of undead correct? Just steal the damn amulet and leaf.

Remember that we are an elf.

JackOSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 20, 2012, 06:37:50 am »

great read so far

necro some small creature, say a squirrel or something and use it to steal the amulet while you discuss business with the merchant. if successful then fail to reach an agreement and head the other direction.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #430 on: January 20, 2012, 07:56:48 am »

great read so far

necro some small creature, say a squirrel or something and use it to steal the amulet while you discuss business with the merchant. if successful then fail to reach an agreement and head the other direction.
And where would we get off to gain the privacy to raise a small animal undiscovered? We're at a crowded and busy fair, with elves camped everywhere and raising things makes bright purple flames. Besides, any number of life mages could be about to notice the magic. And notice what kind of magic it is.

Too dangerous.

Also, an elf walks in to the merchant's stall and takes an immediate interest in the amulet, and then it is stolen that very same night? Suspicious.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 20, 2012, 10:13:30 am »

We're at a crowded and busy fair, with elves camped everywhere and raising things makes bright purple flames, Besides, any number of life mages could be about to notice the magic. And notice what kind of magic it is.

Don't forget that so far noone else seems to have noticed that amulet, you'd have expected some mention of it if a number of mages had asked the seller and certainly have noticed a fuss if both that and the fact purple flames meant necromancy was known.
We should really find out what other magic users can see at some point. Would it be worth infusing a broach to wear to see who notices it, we could always blame our lack of innate talent for not noticing ourselves, or is this being too risky?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 20, 2012, 10:18:23 am »

Probably too risky. We can find out later if we find a trustworthy mage.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #433 on: January 20, 2012, 10:50:10 am »

We're at a crowded and busy fair, with elves camped everywhere and raising things makes bright purple flames, Besides, any number of life mages could be about to notice the magic. And notice what kind of magic it is.

Don't forget that so far noone else seems to have noticed that amulet, you'd have expected some mention of it if a number of mages had asked the seller and certainly have noticed a fuss if both that and the fact purple flames meant necromancy was known.
We should really find out what other magic users can see at some point. Would it be worth infusing a broach to wear to see who notices it, we could always blame our lack of innate talent for not noticing ourselves, or is this being too risky?
The amulet has nothing to do with it. If we start making purple flames erupt from a squirrel and have it run about with its purple flaming eyes to steal things from a crowded fairground which is likely to be guarded and/or still busy even late at night, someone might see. You know.. the purple flames. Coming from its eyes. :P

I understand the wish to attain the amulet. I share it. We have a plan which will result in attaining the amulet. Its not like we're in a hurry.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 20, 2012, 12:23:28 pm »

The amulet has nothing to do with it. If we start making purple flames erupt from a squirrel and have it run about with its purple flaming eyes to steal things from a crowded fairground which is likely to be guarded and/or still busy even late at night, someone might see. You know.. the purple flames. Coming from its eyes. :P

I understand the wish to attain the amulet. I share it. We have a plan which will result in attaining the amulet. Its not like we're in a hurry.

My point was more that so far it looks like the purple flames aren't seen by others. Not that I think the squirrel is worth the risk, but we should do something to test what people can see.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 155