Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 656794 times)

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer!
« Reply #510 on: January 27, 2012, 08:57:39 am »

Mooching probably wouldn't work, but what the hell, we migh a well try it.

My advice: Work your 5 days and get your 18 gold. Make friends with the merchant, he seems like a cool dude. Convince the merchant to take you with him to the Jewelled Coast, continuing your agreement. The 10 day trip to the coast will earn you a further 36 gold, for a total of 54. Attempt to convince the merchant to sell you the amulet for 25, citing how we know that it's totally not dwarven and that we think it looks more like something the goblins would make.

I totally agree on this.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 27, 2012, 10:49:32 am »

As far as mooching goes - that's part of why I want to see the council. IF they turn us done, we act depressed and mopey and use THAT as an opportunity to guilt our mother into helpung us buy us a piece of jewelry we really want but can't afford.

IF they decide to let us go, ask her for the money for the trip to help us come home safely.

And once we get the amulet, DO NOT PUT IT ON.

Wrap it up, stuff it away. We want to get some idea of what it does before we use it, and we know almost nothing about it or what influence it might have on us.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #512 on: January 27, 2012, 10:53:50 am »

I'd like to stress this. I agree 130%, do not put on or touch the amulet. When we acquire it, handle it by the chain or whatever it's on, don't touch the actual item. Once we're away, wrap it up and we will experiment to discover its function later.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 27, 2012, 10:56:24 am »

I'd like to stress this. I agree 130%, do not put on or touch the amulet. When we acquire it, handle it by the chain or whatever it's on, don't touch the actual item. Once we're away, wrap it up and we will experiment to discover its function later.
8001%
Fantasy World Safety Handbook rule #1:
NEVER TOUCH THE GLOWING AMULET
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 27, 2012, 10:57:30 am »

Specifically, I would like us to be far enough away that we can reveal to Omo what's going on. As I've said before, I plan on him being our safety line and keeping us on the straight and narrow. And I think once we're away from the elves, he will be willing to accept us.

Also: Good news! We didn't do any random necromancy last night. That means spending our mana on mana potions successfully suppresses our random casting (at least to a certain extent!)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 27, 2012, 11:40:28 am »

But it's shiny......
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 27, 2012, 05:10:40 pm »

As far as mooching goes - that's part of why I want to see the council. IF they turn us down, we act depressed and mopy and use THAT as an opportunity to guilt our mother into helping us buy us a piece of jewellery we really want but can't afford.

IF they decide to let us go, ask her for the money for the trip to help us come home safely.

Wrap it up, stuff it away. We want to get some idea of what it does before we use it, and we know almost nothing about it or what influence it might have on us.
Yes to all of this.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 27, 2012, 07:05:13 pm »

So, looks like the current course of action is "MOOOOCH," "Meet with Elders," "Meet Elana hopefully," and "Negotiate with merchant." I will note that 100 gold is a lot of money- your parents are fairly well off, being public servants and all, but that's still like four month's pay even before you consider a fair amount of their compensation is in the form of food/housing.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 27, 2012, 07:14:52 pm »

So, looks like the current course of action is "MOOOOCH," "Meet with Elders," "Meet Elana hopefully," and "Negotiate with merchant." I will note that 100 gold is a lot of money- your parents are fairly well off, being public servants and all, but that's still like four month's pay even before you consider a fair amount of their compensation is in the form of food/housing.
We are not mooching for 100 gold, just enough to complement a bit to haggle down the cost to the amulet to say, 25 gold at the maximum.

Aside: We're getting stupendously well paid for the potions then, considering we're getting 18 gold pieces for 5 days' work.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 27, 2012, 08:08:09 pm »

Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 28, 2012, 03:35:10 am »

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 28, 2012, 03:39:47 am »

But it's shiny......
And pretty...
And oh so very tempting...
Don't forget shiny it's SOOOOO SHINY!

I...I don't know what else to say. I feel like we are pretty much covered at this point. Adventure Ahoy!

Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

Rockowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 28, 2012, 04:54:05 am »

This, coupled with the fact that perhaps our POTION MAKING SKILL WILL INCREASE OVER TIME. Or perhaps our mana-pool or whatever. Then we could make even better potions, and as we reach higher limits then the price should increase just about exponentially near the top. We currently don't know much about the potion market, but there's no reason not to ask the merchant about the world of potion trade. You know how, universally in all trade, high-end things are always ridiculously overpriced, even if they are only somewhat better than current standards.
There's no point in making a potion that restores more mana then the mage can store.

That's a valid point, sure, but you don't need quaff it down all at once. Take about as much as you need and save the rest for later!

Also, Monk, if we make about a hundred potions we should be able to do so more efficiently, right? I mean, the speed at which we make potions or the concentration? [EDIT: Same thing lol]

And I was wondering if mana potions could be distilled. I can't imagine the crystal particles evaporating along with water. [EDIT: And even if they dissolve completely, like sugar in water, it should leave a higher concentration and eventually a crystallized residue.] This might not actually be the most profitable way of making potions but it's good to know. You could carry an extremely potent, high concentration potion, then pour it in a cauldron of water and start bottling and serving it in the marketplace. Not the most necromantic of experiments, but still, it's just good to know how it works.

Asking the elders, THEN mooching at mom's place. And for not immediately putting on the amulet. Wrapping it in cloth certainly is a good idea, just to be safe.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 04:56:39 am by Rockowl »

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 28, 2012, 05:36:06 am »

And I was wondering if mana potions could be distilled. I can't imagine the crystal particles evaporating along with water. [EDIT: And even if they dissolve completely, like sugar in water, it should leave a higher concentration and eventually a crystallized residue.] This might not actually be the most profitable way of making potions but it's good to know. You could carry an extremely potent, high concentration potion, then pour it in a cauldron of water and start bottling and serving it in the marketplace. Not the most necromantic of experiments, but still, it's just good to know how it works.
We would need to crush the crystal back down to powder, presumably taking most of the day to do so, and I expect that most mages would buy potions in advance, so there's no real benefit to doing this.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 28, 2012, 09:36:40 am »

We should eventually try to do it with a very big crystal once we have more mana to see if we can increase efficiency. That is, since the mana lost is lost due to the ability of the crystals to absorb it at that speed, a bigger crystal should theoretically be able to absorb more mana in a shorter time. If we can eventually make mana potions 1 to 1 or 1.5 to 1 we can get a much faster buck. 
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 155