Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 663536 times)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer!
« Reply #555 on: February 08, 2012, 04:09:54 pm »

Merchant's leaving with the caravan. We could probably start up our own business, but who knows how big demands will be, even given the war-time economy.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #556 on: February 08, 2012, 04:12:14 pm »

I still think we should follow that amulet one way or another. It is the only source available to learn more about necromancy beyond solo experimentation and it could be very important.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 08, 2012, 04:48:51 pm »

I still think we should follow that amulet one way or another. It is the only source available to learn more about necromancy beyond solo experimentation and it could be very important.
Yes, lets go to the jewelled coast.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 08, 2012, 06:27:13 pm »

So if the crystals for making the mana potions hold mana, can they hold vitality as well?

Experiment:  1. Try to infuse vitality into the crystal to see what it does.
                      2. See what happens if you infuse Mana and Vitality into the same crystal.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #559 on: February 08, 2012, 06:43:11 pm »

I'm also curious what would happen if we try to infuse mana into an undead we create, or infuse more vitality into one. Or both.

Also: Can we create a golem out of a crystal? Could that then store mana?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: February 08, 2012, 06:48:50 pm »

Keep in mind that crystals cost 2 gold per point of mana we want to store. That's really expensive to be experimenting with right now.

E: Also, we can't do anything that costs mana unless we want to go back on our agreement with Luki.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 06:50:22 pm by Grek »

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: February 08, 2012, 06:52:58 pm »

I say we try to get the crystal now. No way to know what'll happen to it if it goes to the coast, maybe other necromancer will find it first? Our father might be more receptive to mooching from papa's girl. :P

That said, unless some pressing matters happens (they start testing people for necromantic potential for example), we should probably stay. Train up, make money and so on.

That said, ask Pevo more about necromancy, now that we have two known necromancers active. Why are necromancers always considered automatically evil? Do you think there's a chance of have been people with potential for necromantic magic that lived their wholes lives without actually discovering it? Is there a commonly accepted reason for why there haven't been more than one necromancer active at the same time? Pass this as you planning to be a sage. In fact, actually try to become a sage. Focus on necromancy so much because after all, you want to know more about the enemy that is plaguing this land. You are not a powerful mage. You are not a strong warrior. But you can collaborate by knowing about them and advising how to proceed. After Pevo, start hitting the books, ask access to all libraries you canm search for any ruins in elven lands that might contain a hint, etc. If you are discreet enough try to search the libraries and such with necro vision, specially if they are very old and lacking a index system.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: February 08, 2012, 07:45:45 pm »

Gaining orator training may help negotiate the price of the amulet. Also, stealing the amulet directly is a very bad idea. If theft is involved, steal something that can be traded for the amulet. Do we have anything that we can sell? If everyone with the magical ability is trained to detect necromancy, which may be the case with conscription, then it could be dangerous to remain in public, and experimentation would be extremely risky. And an outbreak of necromantic energy amongst the population would be a major concern and an investigation into its source could become the first priority of the authorities. Being in the midst of mandatory necromantic energy testing and purification would not be pleasant...

That said, ask Pevo more about necromancy, now that we have two known necromancers active. Why are necromancers always considered automatically evil? Do you think there's a chance of have been people with potential for necromantic magic that lived their wholes lives without actually discovering it? Is there a commonly accepted reason for why there haven't been more than one necromancer active at the same time? Pass this as you planning to be a sage. In fact, actually try to become a sage. Focus on necromancy so much because after all, you want to know more about the enemy that is plaguing this land. You are not a powerful mage. You are not a strong warrior. But you can collaborate by knowing about them and advising how to proceed. After Pevo, start hitting the books, ask access to all libraries you canm search for any ruins in elven lands that might contain a hint, etc. If you are discreet enough try to search the libraries and such with necro vision, specially if they are very old and lacking a index system.
agreed, although maybe with some of the phrasing altered, asking why necromancers are always evil instead of automatically considered so. It is often better to be considered ignorant of possibilities than compassionate towards enemies...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

The Alchemist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: February 08, 2012, 08:35:58 pm »

Going off of what Felius said about becoming a sage, while I don't think it will work out to well I do think that we should try learning as much as we can about the basic properties of magic, just purely the theory not practice for right now if we're going to stay for training then we can learn the practice of it. Also if we stay we can also learn some more general magic spells that might help us out later and help us understand the basics of necromancy if all magic contain some of the same basic rules. If we are still staying then lets find ourselves a place for experiments again, if not then ignore the majority of this.
Well...we're both drowning, he was drunk the whole time...this was a success!
- Me after completing a game of Red November.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: February 08, 2012, 08:39:34 pm »

Gaining orator training may help negotiate the price of the amulet. Also, stealing the amulet directly is a very bad idea. If theft is involved, steal something that can be traded for the amulet. Do we have anything that we can sell? If everyone with the magical ability is trained to detect necromancy, which may be the case with conscription, then it could be dangerous to remain in public, and experimentation would be extremely risky. And an outbreak of necromantic energy amongst the population would be a major concern and an investigation into its source could become the first priority of the authorities. Being in the midst of mandatory necromantic energy testing and purification would not be pleasant...
We don't have enough time for the orator training before the caravan leaves. Stealing is probably a very bad idea as well indeed. We might be able to accompany him until the border and make a few more potions, although we won't probably be able to leave, specially with the father around.

agreed, although maybe with some of the phrasing altered, asking why necromancers are always evil instead of automatically considered so. It is often better to be considered ignorant of possibilities than compassionate towards enemies...
Sounds good, although maybe at some point in the future we might want to plant a seed of acceptance in the minds of our fellow elves. :P

Edit: @The Alchemist: I don't think we should actually show much ability with magic other than our natural bigger than average mana pool. It's well known that we don't have aptitude for life magic, so it's not good to call attention to our magic, specially if we do anything that is not clearly universal magic. We should in fact study the theory though, it might be useful in how to counter, and what to advise the others to do against the other necromancers. Not to say we can't learn a few extra useful universal spells.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 08:47:55 pm by Felius »
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

The Alchemist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: February 08, 2012, 09:25:46 pm »

Edit: @The Alchemist: I don't think we should actually show much ability with magic other than our natural bigger than average mana pool. It's well known that we don't have aptitude for life magic, so it's not good to call attention to our magic, specially if we do anything that is not clearly universal magic. We should in fact study the theory though, it might be useful in how to counter, and what to advise the others to do against the other necromancers. Not to say we can't learn a few extra useful universal spells.
Agreed, and we can use our disguise of being a scribe interested in the world to learn more about the basics of magic, we will have to ask how the magic affected their past as well as if it was different back then just to keep our disguise. Although I wouldn't suggest it for now, we could also use this recording of history as an excuse to ask around a bit about necromancy.
Well...we're both drowning, he was drunk the whole time...this was a success!
- Me after completing a game of Red November.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: February 08, 2012, 09:28:59 pm »

I am completely, 100% opposed to waiting. For one thing, Omo has made it clear that HE, at least, won't. And frankly, he is far more valuable to us than anyone or anything else here.

Our mother has made it clear she can try to identify this thing for us - ask her if she can do it discretely so the guy doesn't jack up the price, maybe? Anyways, it sounds like if she finds that it IS valuable, she might be willing to help us purchase it.

Meanwhile, meet with Omo. Tell him of what we've learned - and of what we've accomplished. While we didn't get permission to leave, we did some good and stopped them from clamping down tight on the border. Reaffirm that we have every intent of leaving with him before the fair ends, and ask him if he knows where we can find Elana - and if she might have any knowledge on how to communicate effectively over a distance. We're going to take a risk here, of course - if it falls through, we won't mention Omo. He should be able to get out without us if he still wants to leave. But if it works, we'll have an ally on the inside.

Then find Elana - I've got a plan. Ask her if she knows any way to send messages over a distance with magic. Let her know we WILL be leaving the veil one way or another, even if it kills us, but we'd like to do what good we can for the elves in the meanwhile, and communication will be valuable to that end.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 09, 2012, 12:49:25 am »

I am completely, 100% opposed to waiting. For one thing, Omo has made it clear that HE, at least, won't. And frankly, he is far more valuable to us than anyone or anything else here.

Our mother has made it clear she can try to identify this thing for us - ask her if she can do it discretely so the guy doesn't jack up the price, maybe? Anyways, it sounds like if she finds that it IS valuable, she might be willing to help us purchase it.

Meanwhile, meet with Omo. Tell him of what we've learned - and of what we've accomplished. While we didn't get permission to leave, we did some good and stopped them from clamping down tight on the border. Reaffirm that we have every intent of leaving with him before the fair ends, and ask him if he knows where we can find Elana - and if she might have any knowledge on how to communicate effectively over a distance. We're going to take a risk here, of course - if it falls through, we won't mention Omo. He should be able to get out without us if he still wants to leave. But if it works, we'll have an ally on the inside.

Then find Elana - I've got a plan. Ask her if she knows any way to send messages over a distance with magic. Let her know we WILL be leaving the veil one way or another, even if it kills us, but we'd like to do what good we can for the elves in the meanwhile, and communication will be valuable to that end.
I agree with all of this.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #568 on: February 09, 2012, 01:07:43 am »

Another thing of note - we're almost at the point of leveling up. That should give us another two points of mana, which allows us to make even more valuable potions, which should net us another few gold.

Also - we should consider our long-term aspirations. I think being a notable good necromancer is probably a worthy aspiration, and it gives us a few good goals to work on - eliminating those other necromancers and cleansing the elven homeland.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 01:32:36 am by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 09, 2012, 04:39:52 am »

This sounds like a sane course of action, potentially we can learn a lot about what can and can't be detected and possibly have a merchant convinced it's not an artifact. Worst case is probably she notices its necromantic and the council confiscate it from the merchant. (which might not turn out too badly for us anyway)

We should phrase this similar to our arguments with the council and how they are making a mistake with the token diplomat approach. That way even if she does end up telling anyone our stories are consistent and our reason for leaving believable.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 155