Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 664405 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer!
« Reply #630 on: February 26, 2012, 03:29:30 pm »

Yep, we can visit the dwarves get some golems made before we face that monstrosity in the Waste (From now on I'll refer to the Elven Homeland as the Waste, its shorter, and takes less time to type)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #631 on: February 26, 2012, 04:00:57 pm »

We should probably leave cleansing the wastes until much later, make that the cap-stone of our career perhaps. The reasoning is, that's a massive magical feat, requiring skills and resources we don't even begin to have. The wastes are probably swarming with monsters like what pevo faced, and other dangers to boot. For now we should focus on getting our feet under us and then taking out those other necromancers.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: February 26, 2012, 04:05:56 pm »

Aye.

We probably couldn't protect ourselves from a pissed-off fox, much less a massive army of abominations commanded by powerful necromancers.

Focus on learning the basics of the world, necromancy, magic, and travel a bit. Get better gear, study history, contact humans and dwarves, etc.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: February 26, 2012, 04:34:33 pm »

I am for contacting the dwarves, (assuming that I remember correctly) from what we know of their history they are a bit more accepting of Necromancy than the other races.

Also, yes, never stop experimenting, knowledge is power, and the more we know the better off we are.
And the levels we gain from experimenting are pretty useful too.  :P
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: February 26, 2012, 07:13:27 pm »

We should probably buy a book that teaches general spells, the elves should have the best of such things and we could study it in detail at a later date...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: February 27, 2012, 12:52:46 am »

The problem with golems is that, for the moment, we STILL don't know how to actually raise a proper golem, AND we can only do it using methods more dangerous and questionable than raising undead.

I'll go with, for know, avoiding raising of undead in our explanation, unless he demands proof. But if he does, the golem thing really isn't an option.

Raising a dead branch or something might be, though... it's really a judgement call. Don't do it if he seems to believe us and doesn't want to see it, but we do need him to believe us. Let him know what we can do, and ask him what would be most comfortable for him IF he wishes a demonstration.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #636 on: February 27, 2012, 01:18:48 am »

I'll agree we definitely need more experience with raising golems, but I dispute the "more dangerous and questionable than raising undead" claim. It was suggested earlier that the kind of creature we steal vitality from affects the kind of golem, and that the reason we had a crappy golem is because we made it from a tree. I think that the reason we had a crappy golem is because we didn't use the alter golem spell to make it uncrappy. We know it didn't have sight until we used that spell to give it sight, it seems reasonable that it wouldn't have motion until we gave it motion.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: February 27, 2012, 01:20:48 am »

I'll agree we definitely need more experience with raising golems, but I dispute the "more dangerous and questionable than raising undead" claim. It was suggested earlier that the kind of creature we steal vitality from affects the kind of golem, and that the reason we had a crappy golem is because we made it from a tree. I think that the reason we had a crappy golem is because we didn't use the alter golem spell to make it uncrappy. We know it didn't have sight until we used that spell to give it sight, it seems reasonable that it wouldn't have motion until we gave it motion.

Strongly seconded. we need to try to give it things other than sight and conscousness
 we imagined seeing. we need to imagine feeling as well. and moving

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: February 27, 2012, 01:33:54 am »

So, who agrees with this plan:
1. Wait until the end of the Fair, acting like normal. Bring along some rope.
2. Sneak out of the Vale before the merchants leave, on the last day of the Fair.
3. Once clear of the Vale (ie. across the river into Thrimesdur), start practicing necromancy again.
4. Do not tell Omo about our abilities right away.
5. Instead, try to create a golem body out of rope and sticks; just like the  old rope golem, except with stick limbs.
6. While Omo is out hunting, you go fish. Steal vitality from the captured fish to animate our golem.
7. Try to imbue the golem with the ability to walk around.
8. Once we have a golem to demonstrate to Omo, reveal our powers and hope he doesn't freak out.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 01:35:38 am by Grek »

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: February 27, 2012, 01:45:04 am »

So, who agrees with this plan:
1. Wait until the end of the Fair, acting like normal. Bring along some rope.
2. Sneak out of the Vale before the merchants leave, on the last day of the Fair.
3. Once clear of the Vale (ie. across the river into Thrimesdur), start practicing necromancy again.
4. Do not tell Omo about our abilities right away.
5. Instead, try to create a golem body out of rope and sticks; just like the  old rope golem, except with stick limbs.
6. While Omo is out hunting, you go fish. Steal vitality from the captured fish to animate our golem.
7. Try to imbue the golem with the ability to walk around.
8. Once we have a golem to demonstrate to Omo, reveal our powers and hope he doesn't freak out.

agreed. I think the spellbook idea should be included if possible tho. if we can get our hands on a spellbook, we should. even if it might mean a bit of theft.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #640 on: February 27, 2012, 02:37:01 am »

we should also make good use of our time in the fair. Study a lot, and learn some more general magic.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: February 27, 2012, 03:19:09 am »

Angle and grek, you've got this on the nose.  8)

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: February 27, 2012, 07:44:55 am »

No thieving though, we're trying to show that necromancers can also be good people, and we won't achieve this if we don't act like it !

Otherwise I'm okay with the plan. Studying general magic is an interesting option too.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: February 27, 2012, 07:59:29 am »

I'm still not convinced essentially stealing the soul of a living animal to animate our abomination of nature is the best way to communicate to Omo that are powers are benign.

Seriously.

Raising an undead certainlys break some traditions, and may be sketchy, but does no actual harm. But I'll concede on this point, since you plan to animate the golem while Omo is not around. I very much doubt the "different type of vitality" thing, but at the very least he'll be able to see the glowing eyes, and then we can snuff it in front of him.

Just make sure to keep it hidden in your pack UNTIL you're ready to reveal it.

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: February 27, 2012, 08:05:51 am »

Also, after we tell Omo that we are a necromancer, we should try to practice raising several undead/golems at the same time. I doubt that, in a battle, we would spend our time raising every single thing individually. But only do this when we have full mana, to stay on the safe side.
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 155