Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 662441 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: You are a Necromancer!
« Reply #675 on: February 28, 2012, 09:46:08 am »

we should leave the experiments until after we've made those mana potions.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: February 29, 2012, 08:15:38 am »

On our way out of the forest, assuming it is more than a days trip, and whenever we can't safely experiment, we should be making mana potions. Which is again why I stress we should spend the vast bulk of our money on those crystals so we have them.

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: February 29, 2012, 08:25:38 am »

On our way out of the forest, assuming it is more than a days trip, and whenever we can't safely experiment, we should be making mana potions. Which is again why I stress we should spend the vast bulk of our money on those crystals so we have them.
+1
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: February 29, 2012, 11:02:06 pm »

I believe that the magic potion trade exists in many places, I would suggest pursuing magical knowledge while with the elves, as you may not be able to return for a long time...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 01, 2012, 06:25:08 pm »

We will not BE with the elves on our multi-day trip out of the forest - It will just be us and Omo. If we run into other elves, we've screwed up.

We don't have any more time to waste pursuing magical knowledge - we need to leave. An no one else is familiar with the sort of magic we'll be using anyways, at least not around here.

Something else to consider:
There may, in fact, be other peaceful Necromancers in the world. It seems painfully obvious they, even if the locals knew about them, would not be broadcasting their presence to the world at large if they could possibly help it. There's not actually a reason the Elves in particular would here about Necromancers that WEREN'T trying to conquer the world, is there? Especially since they are as insular as they are. Once we reach Thrimsomething, we might try to gain more information about it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 06:26:59 pm by GlyphGryph »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 01, 2012, 09:35:28 pm »

Exactly, no more elves, so it may be that we can easily acquire a beginner's guide to general magic here that would be the equivalent of a rare and powerful compendium of lost arts across most of the rest of the world. While one would guess that the crystals are available for the wide-spread potion trade and presumably come from somewhere to begin with... I don't know what sort of books would be appropriate, probably something portable with a large selection of utility spells, such as communication, protection from hostile environments, mobility enhancement. Something with enough information that someone could figure out how to use the described effects with study and practice, while being sufficiently brief that it could be carried without being too much of an impediment. Perhaps one very detailed instruction on a single magical effect and another with basic details on performing most of the effects that would be useful on a journey to a magically unusual environment.
 A list of available works that describe the process of evoking general magic would be useful, our budget would probably preclude anything over, say, 10 gold, maybe look into items up to 20 gold if they are particularly desirable...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

The Alchemist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 01, 2012, 10:03:24 pm »

Yes I agree with obtaining some sort of a magical spell book for general spells, those spells will probably come in handy and if they don't, well knowing more spells can't hurt.
Well...we're both drowning, he was drunk the whole time...this was a success!
- Me after completing a game of Red November.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 02, 2012, 01:02:45 am »

Yes I agree with obtaining some sort of a magical spell book for general spells, those spells will probably come in handy and if they don't, well knowing more spells can't hurt.

It might also have information on the nature some of the magic we come across. Creatures squatting on our ribcage sort of stuff.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 03, 2012, 07:16:44 pm »

This is more something to do in Thrimesdur than something to do while we're in the Vale.

Consider: We have lived in the Vale all of our life. We've tried and failed to learn the general magic taught in the Vale beyond the most basic of spells. Either we, personally, are unable to learn general magic due to some inherent lack of magical talent on our part, or else we, as a necromancer, are unable to learn from life magic users because of some incompatability between our magical understandings.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 07:22:34 pm by Grek »

The Alchemist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 03, 2012, 08:25:23 pm »

This is more something to do in Thrimesdur than something to do while we're in the Vale.

Consider: We have lived in the Vale all of our life. We've tried and failed to learn the general magic taught in the Vale beyond the most basic of spells. Either we, personally, are unable to learn general magic due to some inherent lack of magical talent on our part, or else we, as a necromancer, are unable to learn from life magic users because of some incompatability between our magical understandings.
There's nothing stopping us from learning general magic, we were very talented in magic as a child as per our history. We just couldn't learn life magic because we are a necromancer. We were still able to learn potion making, so I don't believe there is anything that stops us from learning general magic, but we will find out when we try to learn new general spells.
Well...we're both drowning, he was drunk the whole time...this was a success!
- Me after completing a game of Red November.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 03, 2012, 09:09:46 pm »

Why not just go to a vendor of knowledge and see what is available?
Read the First Post!

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 03, 2012, 09:17:36 pm »

Why not just go to a vendor of knowledge and see what is available?

Hear-hear!

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 04, 2012, 06:29:35 pm »

I think most books we find here would be available in Thrimsdur for free, with the empire's famous ancient libraries. Mana crystals will probably be cheaper there as well (Pevo said that the elves imported it from Thrimesdur and the coast when we were first discussing it) so we shouldn't buy them for experiments until we get there. I do agree that we should see what knowledge we can find/buy here first though.

EDIT-oops, it was Ari who told us about the crystals
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 06:55:24 pm by racnor »
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 04, 2012, 06:39:07 pm »

I think most books we find here would be available in Thrimsdur for free, with the empire's famous ancient libraries. Mana crystals will probably be cheaper there as well (Pevo said that the elves imported it from Thrimesdur and the coast when we were first discussing it) so we shouldn't buy them for experiments until we get there. I do agree that we should see what knowledge we can find/buy here first though.
We probably should buy at least a few mana points worth of crystals, not to experiment, but to create a potion for emergency situations. Plus, we can use the travel time to make some potions, and sell them before/when we arrive.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 04, 2012, 06:57:53 pm »

agreed
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 155