Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 656617 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer!
« Reply #705 on: March 06, 2012, 01:38:39 am »

There are probably thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of undead in the average 'Conquer the world' plan. I am not certain that one person zapping them is really going to spoil the plot...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: March 06, 2012, 01:49:13 am »

There are probably thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of undead in the average 'Conquer the world' plan. I am not certain that one person zapping them is really going to spoil the plot...

Though if we could program a virus targeted against the necromancer's Operating system, it might work. If there is any way to tell an undead to tell other undead to tell other undead (etc....etc) to self terminate....

Are we certain that undead can't manipulate necro powers if they are told exactly what to do? I guess they need a mana pool...

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: March 06, 2012, 01:58:01 am »

The plot-spoiling happens when the zapping necromancer gets powerful enough to make chain reactions (such as zombie drained -> mana -> more zombies drained -> etc) and/or large area of effect spells.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: March 06, 2012, 02:25:55 am »

I just had a rather interesting idea. In order to know whether it will work, we'll need to try a few tests:

1. Imbue a small, uncrushed mana crystal with mana. Cast Detect Magic on it, comparing it to a mana potion.
2. If successful, turn the imbued mana crystal into a golem using 2 vitality. It is important to later experiments that we use exactly 2 vitality. Continue observing with Detect Magic.
3. If successful, attempt to Alter Golem in order to imbue the mana cystal with the ability to cast a cheap spell using the mana stored within it when commanded to. I recomend Detect Magic, since that should be easy to test.
4. If successful, continue to have the crystal cast Detect Magic even after it has run out of mana, in order to see if it can cast the spell using vitality like a mage can. Assuming this works, we will be able to discern the conversion ratio between vitality and mana.
5. If successful and the conversion ratio is > 3 mana per 2 vitality, have a mana crystal that is able to hold at least 3 mana wrapped in thick leather with a single small hole. Firmly attach this leather-covered crystal to a stick that is suitable as a handle
6. Imbue 3 mana into the crystal before turning it into a 1 vitality golem that will cast Steal Vitality as quickly and often as it can on anything that comes within 4 feet of it, draining the vitality into itself.
7. Note to ourselves that, because Steal Vitality works on line of sight, only things that come within line of sight of the single hole in the leather will be drained of vitality.
8. Enjoy our new lightsaber.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 02:27:39 am by Grek »

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: March 06, 2012, 05:09:46 pm »

I just had a rather interesting idea. In order to know whether it will work, we'll need to try a few tests:

1. Imbue a small, uncrushed mana crystal with mana. Cast Detect Magic on it, comparing it to a mana potion.
2. If successful, turn the imbued mana crystal into a golem using 2 vitality. It is important to later experiments that we use exactly 2 vitality. Continue observing with Detect Magic.
3. If successful, attempt to Alter Golem in order to imbue the mana cystal with the ability to cast a cheap spell using the mana stored within it when commanded to. I recomend Detect Magic, since that should be easy to test.
4. If successful, continue to have the crystal cast Detect Magic even after it has run out of mana, in order to see if it can cast the spell using vitality like a mage can. Assuming this works, we will be able to discern the conversion ratio between vitality and mana.
5. If successful and the conversion ratio is > 3 mana per 2 vitality, have a mana crystal that is able to hold at least 3 mana wrapped in thick leather with a single small hole. Firmly attach this leather-covered crystal to a stick that is suitable as a handle
6. Imbue 3 mana into the crystal before turning it into a 1 vitality golem that will cast Steal Vitality as quickly and often as it can on anything that comes within 4 feet of it, draining the vitality into itself.
7. Note to ourselves that, because Steal Vitality works on line of sight, only things that come within line of sight of the single hole in the leather will be drained of vitality.

you are brilliant, in a derpish kinda way.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: March 06, 2012, 07:59:05 pm »

OMFG YES.
I wasn't aware that mages could cast from vitality. If so, so much is possible

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: March 07, 2012, 02:32:56 am »

We kind-of already did that with the tree, but it wasn't intentional.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: March 07, 2012, 10:49:38 pm »

We cast from mana with the tree, but the spell was to imbue it with vitality, I believe. I don't believe we were actually casting from vitality at any point... though I might have misunderstood it.

The Alchemist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: March 07, 2012, 11:43:05 pm »

We cast from mana with the tree, but the spell was to imbue it with vitality, I believe. I don't believe we were actually casting from vitality at any point... though I might have misunderstood it.
What happened was that because the spell took more mana to cast than what we had available and as a result we lost a portion of our vitality to cover the cost of the spell. This probably happens to every mage if they try casting spells beyond their level as I believe someone said (I think it was either Ari or Pevo) that casting spells beyond your level can kill you.
Well...we're both drowning, he was drunk the whole time...this was a success!
- Me after completing a game of Red November.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: March 09, 2012, 12:03:12 am »

So, who agrees with this plan:
1. Wait until the end of the Fair, acting like normal. Bring along some rope.
2. Sneak out of the Vale before the merchants leave, on the last day of the Fair.
3. Once clear of the Vale (ie. across the river into Thrimesdur), start practicing necromancy again.
4. Do not tell Omo about our abilities right away.
5. Instead, try to create a golem body out of rope and sticks; just like the  old rope golem, except with stick limbs.
6. While Omo is out hunting, you go fish. Steal vitality from the captured fish to animate our golem.
7. Try to imbue the golem with the ability to walk around.
8. Once we have a golem to demonstrate to Omo, reveal our powers and hope he doesn't freak out.

agreed. I think the spellbook idea should be included if possible tho. if we can get our hands on a spellbook, we should. even if it might mean a bit of theft.

There are four days left of the Caravan Fair, and you decide to stay throughout the festivities. Apart from practical considerations like the profit potential of your arrangement with Luki or the last few things you want to do, there is also the knowledge that once you leave, you will not be back in Yicelafo for a long time, perhaps years or even decades. As well, you know that once you leave, you'll have to tell Omo what you are. You risk his friendship and perhaps your life, but you can't lie to your old friend- he deserves to know the truth about his traveling companion. It must be done, but you doubt it will be pleasant, and anything that delays that day is welcome in your book.

Despite Omo's growing impatience, you take this opportunity to enjoy the sights and sounds of the Young Vale and your fellow elves. You spend your time dancing, singing, talking, and generally enjoying yourself, basking in the festival atmosphere. Some days are wet, others are dry, but there is always a fire to gather 'round and merry making to be had.

Which is not to say you don't also accomplish some other minor tasks.

Exactly, no more elves, so it may be that we can easily acquire a beginner's guide to general magic here that would be the equivalent of a rare and powerful compendium of lost arts across most of the rest of the world. While one would guess that the crystals are available for the wide-spread potion trade and presumably come from somewhere to begin with... I don't know what sort of books would be appropriate, probably something portable with a large selection of utility spells, such as communication, protection from hostile environments, mobility enhancement. Something with enough information that someone could figure out how to use the described effects with study and practice, while being sufficiently brief that it could be carried without being too much of an impediment. Perhaps one very detailed instruction on a single magical effect and another with basic details on performing most of the effects that would be useful on a journey to a magically unusual environment.
 A list of available works that describe the process of evoking general magic would be useful, our budget would probably preclude anything over, say, 10 gold, maybe look into items up to 20 gold if they are particularly desirable...
Oh, and I should add - talk to merchant, tell him you're glad you could help him turn such a tidy profit on the artifact. You hope it alleviates in part an unfortunate change of circumstance that means you won't be able to stay out the week after all.

Spend a large bulk of our profits on more mana crystals. We'll need this for our future income stream, and experiments. In fact, it might be worth it to spend ALL of it on mana crystals (and a couple containers, obviously)

You know that the elves aren't much on libraries or books, but the Caravan is in town with a wide assortment of goods- perhaps they have something. You decide to ask Luki when you drop off the potion the next morning.

Morning Luki, how's business?
Grand, milady Nym, simply grand! Your mother was as good as her word when she promised Yicelafo would make a generous offer for that artifact. Why, with that profit added to my margins I rather think I could fund a caravan of my own!
I'm glad to hear it. Say, you know the merchant selling Crystal, right? I'd like to get in touch with him to buy a little stash of my own.
I know him, I know him indeed, but I fear he has little to offer you. The same elf who bought my artifact for Yicelafo also snapped up his entire inventory.
Oh, no.
Oh yes, it appears you elves are stockpiling the stuff for the coming war. But, tell you what- as a thank you for bringing my artifact to the attention of the Mages, I'll sell you some of the Crystal I bought off of him- no markup, just 20 silver per ounce.
Really? That's kind of you. How much do you have?
I can part with five ounces, which would be enough for five Mana were you to use it in a potion. 100 silver- Interested?
Sold! As long as I'm here, do you have any spellbooks in your inventory?
I do not, but I believe there is a bookseller in the Caravan- he regularly makes the journey back and forth between Thrimesdur and the Jeweled Coast.
Thank you Luki- see you tomorrow.

It doesn't take you long to find the bookseller- his wagon is rather large, but he has little inventory out for display. Most elves care not for extensive reading, but there are a few customers in his tent examining ornate quills, a variety of inks, solvents, and other curious objects associated with the art of manuscript. The bookseller himself is a tall, thin reed of a man, with knobby knees and elbows, wisps of grey hair escaping from under his stained Rope Reed Fiber cap.

Good day, and how may I help you today?
Hello, I was wondering if you had any books about magic.
Hoo hoo! You'll have to be more specific than that, dearie, for I've many a tome on the subject.
Oh really? I was hoping for something on the performance of general magic, or perhaps the theory behind it.
The merchant pulls out a binder, and begins quickly scanning through the pages. Hm... ah, I possess a copy of Prestidigitation for the Beginning Practitioner by Joddo Meadtrust- it was first written shortly after the Golgothan War ended. An interesting story there- you see, after the Golgothan War, there were many villages who lacked a local Priest or Wizard to perform magic, since so many died in the war itself. Meadtrust was an instructor at the Wizarding Academy who was frustrated by the brief time he had to teach new Wizards and Priests their art before they had to return. He wrote this book in an attempt to alleviate the problem- he would teach them the basics of magic, and they could then take guidance from his tome to learn the rest on their own. Was a miserable failure, you know, most of his students were stymied by the overly technical language of the text, but once the rate of admissions and graduations returned to a normal level it became quite popular as a reference text for the more isolated practitioners away from the cities. Joddo didn't live to see it, though, died thinking the attempt was his greatest failure, and on one notable occasion he sought to burn any copy he could get his hands on to rid himself of the embarrassment.
Your eyes glaze over somewhat at the rapid-fire onslaught of information, and as the merchant gathers his breath you hurriedly interject, Sounds perfect! How much are you asking?
I have a couple copies, as it happens- one is a relatively new and more inexpensive edition, but if you're a collector I have the most lovely illuminated copy written shortly after Meadtrust's death, made by a monk at-
The less expensive one will be fine- how much?
Ah, for the obvious utility of its contents and important cultural context, I couldn't part with it for less than 32 silver and 5 copper pieces. There-
That will do just fine, thank you.

The merchant blinks, then excuses himself and retreats to his wagon. After a few long moments he returns, bearing a leather bound book somewhat larger than you had anticipated. Completing your transaction, you step outside and inspect your new purchase. The text within is written in a tight, clean script- there are intermittent illustrations and diagrams demonstrating one concept or another. Paging to the very back, you find an index, and examine the contents. There are a variety of minor divinations (Detect Vitality and the like,) as well as a handful of simple illusions, a brief description of the other Magical Faiths, some utility spells that seem useful... ooh, Message!

Flipping through to that entry, you find that spell is a way to send a message one way, at a distance. Disappointingly, cursory examination seems to suggest that the range is rather limited- a few miles at best. You blanch as you read more of the instructions- the merchant was not exaggerating about the overly technical language! It doesn't seem to be anything you can't figure out, but it will likely take some time and concentrated effort to learn any spells from this book.

I think we should head to the Dwarves, spending no longer then a day in any city besides theirs, they have the highest chance to accept us for what we are, and I have a feeling they may be able to help us in making golems, and may even have records of old necromancers who were good like us.

To the dwarves! aye, that should be our long term goal. Dwarves are fine folk, and makers of artifacts as well. Plus we know the least about them. they'd be interesting to study. Since they keep such stuborn strongholds, I imagine they have archives of the ancient ages.
However, the elves have a strong alliance with Thrimesdur, but the dwarves are probably either neutral or hostile to elves if anything resembling a tree quota exists in this world. the dwarves should be a second stop after we finish with Thrimesdur, and/or if our powers are revealed too early. Either way, we should ask pevo about the dwarves.

Another day, you find yourself thinking about the dwarves- perhaps their reputedly cunning craftsmanship could create an object more readily suited for transformation into a golem. Now that you think about it, didn't Pevo say something peculiar about dwarf/Necromancer relations? You resolve to ask him, and return to his room in the Great Temple for expressly that purpose.

Afternoon, Pevo, how are you?
I'm quite well, Nym- here with some more questions?
You know me too well, Pevo. Actually, I was wondering what you knew of the Dwarves- did you visit their lands in your travels?
I did not, nor do I have any inclination to do so- that people has a poor reputation.
Why is that?
It isn't easy to pin down- the Elves have had little contact with the Dwarves since the Golgothan War, and the history of our racial relations is one of the many things lost in that conflict. From what I can gather, the Dwarves of the Earth Kingdom were solid allies of the Golgothans prior to the war, as well as the Fire Nation. When the war started, the dwarves did not condone Balkoth's aggression and did not join his assault on Elven lands, but neither did they hinder him. Supposedly, when they heard of the near genocide of the Elvish people, they annulled their alliance immediately, but I know for a fact they did not join in the war against Balkoth until he betrayed and exterminated the Fire Giants.
Well, that doesn't sound too bad- they were faithful to an ally, and turned when his evil became clear.
Very reasonable of you, but it is difficult to get past the fact that, if they had stood against Balkoth from the outset, the Sacred Grove might yet stand.
That's the history, but who are the dwarves as a people?
Again, this is secondhand information, but the dwarves are reputed to be a hardy folk with great mineral wealth, and the finest craftsmen in the world. They are also an ancient people- they lack the stability and continuous line of Emperors that Thrimesdur has enjoyed, but their mountain halls and fortresses are older than the Empire itself. Other than that, I only know stereotypes- they drink, they are expert craftsmen, big beards, few manner, the usual.
Their fortresses are older than the Empire? Could it be they possess ancient knowledge of ages past, even greater than the libraries of Thrimesdur might contain?
It is possible, I suppose, though I doubt it is as well organized as the Cremated Empire's archives. The dwarves supposedly have a rather guarded nature, making it difficult for human chroniclers to get the full story out of them- there could well be hidden histories and engravings deep in the oldest mountain homes, unknown to the outside world and perhaps even to the dwarves themselves.
I see. Thank you Pevo, that was quite enlightening.

All too soon, the morning of your departure arrives. You make and deliver Luki's final potion early in the morning, and well before midday you join up with Omo, leaving Yicelafo towards the East and Thrimesdur. You are the only ones leaving Yicelafo before the final ceremonies and the grand sending-off of the Caravan, and the road is clear. Omo whistles a jaunty tune, pleased to finally be leaving, and you can't help but succumb to his infectious happiness. The time passes quickly as you sing traveling songs and enjoy the unseasonably warm weather.

After the first day of travel, you make camp not far from the river. Once you finish eating a hearty meal, you briefly confer with Omo about your route, examining the map Pevo gave you days ago.

By his estimation, you've passed beyond the limits of Elven habitation on the northern shore- by the end of the day tomorrow, you'll be well away from any Elvish settlements of any kind. After that, Omo informs you, it is little more than a hard day's march to the river crossing of Larathor, a large human settlement on the Great River and your first step beyond the confines of the Vale. Omo cautions that Ranger patrols will likely be thick along the river, and you'll have a much higher risk of meeting them throughout that last day. Hopefully, Omo's knowledge of the patrol routes will guide you safely through.

As you fall asleep, you can't help but worry- when should you reveal yourself to Omo? Tomorrow night, when you will be in the midst of the forest? The night after, when you have dodged the Elvish patrols, crossed the river and reached Larathor? Later, somewhere in the wilderness of Thrimesdur?

You try to put such concerns aside and go to sleep- the next few days promise to be tiring.

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Omo Thunderjaw (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Notable Figures (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Planned Experiments (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Maps (click to show/hide)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Part 24
« Reply #715 on: March 09, 2012, 12:15:17 am »

Awesome! any chance of updates being a bit more common? or are you still bogged down with your other projects?

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: March 09, 2012, 12:16:17 am »

We should probably wait until we are out of elven lands and in human lands before telling Omo, even if only to minimize the risks a bit. That is, unless we forsee having to use necromancy to pass through the patrols, in which case we should tell him before, since if we spring this to him in an emergency it'll be bad.

That said, when we tell him we should emphasize that we are not evil, we are still the same person we used to be, we just discovered this powers one day, and started testing it to avoid accidental magic, that our desire to get out of the elven lands as soon as possible is not due to us being evil and avoiding the elven government, but that we are afraid that they will be over-zealous and kill us first, ask if we are actually evil never and we really do not want to die. Also, comment that while we don't know much about our new found powers yet, we theorize it could be used to destroy the undead more easily than other means, and maybe, but just maybe, even purge the contaminated lands from the necromantic taint.

Edit: Grammarfix
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:28:21 am by Felius »
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: March 09, 2012, 12:20:13 am »

We should probably wait until we are out of elven lands and in human lands before telling Omo, even if only to minimize the risks a bit. That is, unless we forsee having to use necromancy to pass through the patrols, in which case we should tell him before, since if we spring this to him in an emergency it'll be bad.

That said, when we tell him we should emphasize that we are not evil, we are still the same person we used to be, we just discovered this powers one day, and started testing it to avoid accidental magic, that our desire to get out of the elven lands as soon as possible is not due to us being evil and avoiding the elven government, but that we are afraid that they will be over-zealous and kill us first, ask if we are actually evil never and we don't do want to die. Also, comment that while we don't know much about our new found powers yet, we theorize it could be used to destroy the undead more easily than other means, and maybe, but just maybe, even purge the contaminated lands from the necromantic taint.

and get this information out as fast as fucking possible. before the shock settles.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: March 09, 2012, 12:20:31 am »

Awesome! any chance of updates being a bit more common? or are you still bogged down with your other projects?

I'm still pretty busy with other things, mostly because I have a poor ability to manage my creative impetus. But hey, at least this is much less neglected than my Let's Play!

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: March 09, 2012, 12:21:54 am »

You ever consider writing books? im sure you could make a small fortune whenever you finally get past your writers block.

seriously, just take the DF forum game plot creation logic, (i.e. unusual situations like this one) and turn them into novels.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 155