Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 320414 times)

killerhellhound

  • Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Part 26
« Reply #975 on: April 03, 2012, 12:29:12 am »

Patience young grasshopper, the update will come when it will come.

And it will come eventually.

Monk is not Darkerdark.
I hope so.
as do I but I have no idea who that is  ???
Logged
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

GlyphGryph

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Part 26
« Reply #976 on: April 03, 2012, 06:41:22 am »

Darker Dark does the Elves of Amenerelli, or however its spelled.

Amazing artist, simply amazing, great writer, but with an update schedule approaching "once every who gives a fuck". Still the most popular forum games story last I checked, won the last contest hands down, despite updates being about as frequent as DF releases.
Logged

killerhellhound

  • Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Part 26
« Reply #977 on: April 03, 2012, 05:32:39 pm »

ahh thanks i am still a bit new its a amasuing comuinty though
Logged
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

lockman766

  • Bay Watcher
  • Hail Random
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Part 26
« Reply #978 on: April 04, 2012, 01:53:52 am »

*elevator music*
Logged

killerhellhound

  • Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Part 26
« Reply #979 on: April 04, 2012, 05:24:48 pm »

bump
Logged
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

bombzero

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Part 26
« Reply #980 on: April 04, 2012, 06:19:26 pm »

despite updates being about as frequent as DF releases.
nice little joke, though seriously i understand when monk has time and all but really, the reason i don't participate in forum games is that consistent postings are about as reliable as valve's release date predictions...

(not that big of a deal, this just popped into my head and i had to write it.)
Logged

killerhellhound

  • Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Part 26
« Reply #981 on: April 05, 2012, 08:45:51 am »

bump
Logged
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Deep Waters

  • Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Part 26
« Reply #982 on: April 05, 2012, 10:54:23 am »

Don't bump this every day please. It's a pretty great thread, but it gets pretty damn annoying to get on, see a new post, and think that it might be a new update- or, god forbid, someone actually adding to the discussion- and finding that it's just someone poking at it. Also, impatience is unbecoming. Monk has a lot on his plate right now; don't rush him, or we'll get a rushed release. And that would be bad for everyone involved.
Logged
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

forsaken1111

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Part 26
« Reply #983 on: April 05, 2012, 12:02:44 pm »

Or worse, he'll feel harassed and rushed and decide NOT to update at all.
Logged

killerhellhound

  • Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Part 26
« Reply #984 on: April 05, 2012, 04:11:22 pm »

ok i well stop and go play skyrim  :D
Logged
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

RAM

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Part 26
« Reply #985 on: April 06, 2012, 12:17:01 am »

Meh, once a day doesn't feel very harassing, and it is a convenient schedule that prevents the thread from being forgotten. So long as it is only bumped once per day one would hope that it wouldn't be filled with bump posts. Though I would discourage people bumping when there is another recent bump post. And while the intent may be obvious, just saying bump may have some implication of feeling entitled to a continuation. Mentioning that one appreciates the work thus far and wishes it to continue may be more effective...

As for content, well, lets consider the research that we want to do when we reach the libraries. I would suggest concentrating on any works written by necromancers, any observations of necromantic practice, a brief review of recent works concerning necromancers, documentation of the relationship between dwarves and golgothans, records of recent dealings with dwarves, and material concerning the nature of the golgothans.

P.S.
 Previous turn.
Logged
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Deep Waters

  • Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Part 26
« Reply #986 on: April 06, 2012, 12:02:18 pm »

Good idea. If people get suspicious concerning our interest in necromancers (like the librarians, or the wizards if we ask them for aid like was suggested a while ago), we'll just say we're trying to find the current necromancers' possible weaknesses and the like. The nature of the golgothan thing might be a stretch, since none of the current necromancers are golgothans, but we could simply say that we're trying to find out why races other than the golgothans have been turning up necromancers. The dwarves thing could then be explained through the fact that they probably are far more familiar with who and what the golgothans were. Of course, using that reasoning means that we might have to report what we find out to others. At least, some of it. ;D

Specifically, we should read accounts of the first necromantic war with the golgothans, which will probably contain the largest amount of the most accurate observations of necromancy by practiced necromancers short of an actual manual on it; which, now that I think about it, were probably all destroyed in the wake of the aforementioned war. Which means that the only place we're likely to find a book that's actually meant to teach necromancy is with the dwarves.
Logged
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

RAM

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Part 26
« Reply #987 on: April 06, 2012, 06:56:40 pm »

As always, don't explain things unless you are encouraged to do so. Having said that, it is good to be prepared if you are called upon to justify yourself. One possible tale would be researching the discrepancies between Elven and human records, which would provide an opportunity to ramble about the effects of time and perspective upon the understanding of historical events without actually referencing current events or one's own activities...
Logged
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

monk12

  • Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-1
« Reply #988 on: April 06, 2012, 10:16:10 pm »

Chapter II

whoohoo, the story continues!

My vote:
We are not in the wilderness yet (one hour walk from a village or city is NOT wilderness), just out of the elven forests. Get a nice sleep at the inn to celebrate our freedom and dry up from our swim.
Also: gather information at said inn about current state of affairs, local mages, general thoughts about magic in Thrimesdur and get the opinions of these humans about elves. That way we know what to expect for the future.
Finally: Check book for basic illusion spells that can alter ones appearance. If they do not like elves, we might want to work on an illusion and pose as humans.

Well, what do you say- should we camp here and head into Larathor tomorrow, or press on and sleep in an inn tonight?
I don't know- how likely do you think it is that the Rangers might follow us? Wouldn't Larathor be the first place they check?
I'm not sure, but I don't think there will be much pursuit. Certainly not until tomorrow morning, when the ferryman is awake to bring them over- I doubt they'll try to swim after us.
Alright, we'll spend the night in an inn, and leave first thing in the morning.
If you say so.

You briefly check your supplies, and find that everything survived warm and dry. Pulling on a dry shirt, you gather your things and follow Omo deeper inland, into the tall grass. Once out of sight of the river, Omo turns downriver, carefully guiding you around scrub bushes and animal burrows. You catch yourself eying the sky uneasily- it's so big out from under the trees, and you feel horribly exposed.

Omo seems unbothered, frequently gazing up in delight as more and more stars emerge. Despite your nervousness, you have to admit that the gaping sky is rather spectacular. Stargazing is a rare treat in Yicelafo- you're accustomed to the narrow slices you can catch along the Great River or at the larger ponds. The pageantry of the cosmos is much grander when seen in its fullness, and while you recognize many of the constellations there are many more celestial bodies you've never had occasion to see, let alone catalog. They are unfamiliar, strange, alien, and to a degree, disconcerting- but they are quite beautiful for all that.

It isn't long at all before Larathor comes into sight, a vision that in some ways is as strange and exciting as the night sky. The town is surrounded by a high wooden wall, and you wonder where exactly they got all the lumber- you don't know of any lumber camps on the Elven side of the river. There are tall wooden towers dotted with torches at each corner of Larathor, as well as at the gatehouse. Pennons and flags snap in the breeze, dark shadows in the torchlight. The light of unnumbered candles, lanterns and torches within the walls gives the town an internal glow unlike anything in Yicelafo.

As you approach the town walls, you see a pair of guards standing next to the open gates. One of them stops you before you enter.

Good evening, travelers. What's your business?
We're just on our way through- we'll stop for the night and be off in the morning.
And where are you bound?
East.
Burn me if that isn't peculiar- a warrior and a woman coming from the North in the middle of the night, bound for the East and the territory of Nightroar the Necromancer?
Hey, the sun only set like an hour ago.
Blasted suspicious if you ask- ...wait a minute, you're Elves!
What, did you think we were Necromancers?
Sorry! Sorry, I didn't know- you have to admit, these are troubling times for mysterious strangers to arrive in the darkness. You Elves hardly ever leave your blasted forest- er, no offense intended. Are you here on official business? To help us against the Necromancer, I mean?
Well-
Why else would a pair of Elves be heading East?
Of course, stupid question. Burn me if it isn't good to hear good news for a change- I don't mind saying we need all the help we can get, with the attacks and all.
Attacks?
Nightroar has been sending raiding parties West to terrorize the towns and farmlands. They don't seem very coordinated, but burn me if there aren't too many for the Imperial Chargers to handle. They can't be everywhere at once.
Troubling news, but if you don't mind, we're rather tired and have a long trip ahead of us. Do you know of a good inn we could stay at?
Certainly, don't let me keep you. Ah, if you're looking for an inn I would recommend the Jolly Badger- a quality place, and the innkeeper is honest. It's on the main road heading south, can't miss it. Fare well on your travels!

You walk into Larathor, leaving the guards to gossip behind you. Once you are out of earshot, you pull your cloak up over your ears and give Omo a nudge.

Maybe it would be better if we weren't obviously Elves.
Eh? Why shouldn't we be what we are?
Because we stick out like a sore thumb, and we don't know if we're being pursued.
Oh. Fair enough.

The streets of Larathor are nearly deserted at this hour- the main roads are well illuminated with street lamps, but the side streets are much darker, with only the occasional lantern casting a pool of light. The buildings here are tall, stone affairs, and to you the heavy structures seem to loom over the flagstone street- you've never been someplace without any plants! Omo, as expected, is eager to drink it all in, peering down every side street, inspecting the detail of the iron lamp posts, gazing in delight at the taller structures, some four or five stories tall!

Soon enough, you arrive at the inn the guard mentioned- the sign over the door depicts a dancing badger with a tankard of ale in each paw. Inside, you find the common room packed with patrons enjoying their drinks and the music of the performer in the corner. You sidle your way over to the bar, where the innkeeper is dispensing drinks. Explaining that you want a room, the smiling fat man waves a serving maid over to escort you upstairs in exchange for two silver pieces. The maid leads you to a small, well appointed room, and after you assure her that you need nothing else she returns downstairs. Omo looks towards the stairs and the sounds of laughter and singing, temptation clear on his face.

Y'know, I think I'll just spend an hour or two downstairs. Get a feel for the lay of the land, maybe a drink.
Omo, not two hours ago you were swimming across a cold river fleeing Elven Rangers. We'll be leaving at first light, and you want to hit a tavern.
Not just a drink, I want to do some asking around, maybe get some info on what Nightroar has been up to.
Fine, I'm not your mother. I get the bed though!
Like I was gonna get that anyway. See you in the morning!

Dropping your stuff, you settle down for the night. It's been a long day of hiking, swimming, and more hiking, and the bed is soft and warm- you fall almost immediately asleep. Early the next morning, you awake to the noise of Omo snoring on the floor. You lie back, taking in the unfamiliar sounds of city activity outside- the rumble of carts, the ring of horseshoes on stone, the muffled footsteps of somebody upstairs. You are tempted to sleep in, but don't want to waste any time.

First things first- you pull out Prestidigitation for the Beginning Practitioner and start flipping through it on the search for Illusion spells. While you find a couple minor auditory illusions, you are unable to find any optical illusions. Skimming the section on other Magics shows that Illusions of various kinds are widely used by Chaos Shaman, as well as Water Mystics and Air Seers. Stymied, you stow away your book and then beat Omo with your pillow.

Wake up! It's morning!
Agh! Have a heart, Nym!
Come on, we've got time for breakfast and then we need to hit the road. I won't feel safe until we're out of Larathor.
That's funny, I won't feel safe after we leave. The guard wasn't exaggerating about the undead attacks, if the common room is to be believed. The road south is choked with refugees. The Imperial Chargers are swamped, between trying to maintain order on the road while also responding to each zombie attack. The raids don't seem to be doing much damage themselves, but the reaction to the raids is crippling the Empire.
Is the Necromancer leading these attacks?
Life above, no. That's why the attacks are so ineffective- the undead are pretty stupid and uncoordinated. Nobody knows where Nightroar himself is, since none of the scouts sent to investigate have returned. We do know there is a hell of a lot of zombies a few days march east.
Can we go around?
I don't know which way we should go, I don't have a map. We should probably buy one, and maybe some other things. And, y'know, as long as we're out and about we could take in some of the sights...
Omo, we need to leave as soon as possible. If the Rangers follow after us-
It's hardly likely they'd find us if we're just wandering through the city! Come on, our first day in a human town and you want to leave without seeing more than an inn? I was asking what there is to see last night, and the locals swear the temple here is one of the most beautiful on the Great River, and apparently there's a prominent actor at the theater in town, and you can get a great view of everything from the towers in the keep, and-

You lean back, rubbing your temples as Omo babbles on. On the one hand, you don't want to spend any more time in town than you have to- you don't want any potential pursuit catching up with you, you want to come clean with Omo as soon as possible, and it feels like ages since you've done any solid experimenting. On the other hand, it sounds like Omo is dying for some sightseeing and you're sure he's going to be unhappy if you leave straightaway, and it wouldn't hurt to get information from somebody other than a tavern full of drunks. How should you handle this?

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Omo Thunderjaw (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Notable Figures (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Planned Experiments (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Maps (click to show/hide)

Deep Waters

  • Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-1
« Reply #989 on: April 06, 2012, 10:37:10 pm »

Ooo, more conflict. What a surprise. :P Hmmm, what to do, what to do...

Alright, got it. Tell Omo we'll stay for the day, but that we're leaving at nightfall. Enough time to see a few sights, but not enough to significantly endanger ourselves. Also, hint to him that we want to tell him something, something extremely important, but that we can't take the risk of being overheard. Maybe that will make him more eager to leave.
Logged
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 155