Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 656746 times)

MikaTheCrazy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't know why this is my avatar now
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-2
« Reply #1050 on: April 16, 2012, 10:01:31 am »

+1 to the forest.
Okay fine, maybe I'm too lazy to find something to put here.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: April 16, 2012, 10:34:08 am »

Forest. Also, if we can't reach proper wilderness, just find a secluded place off the road. We need to tell Omo what's going on. By tonight. Maybe don't even wait to set up camp - just find a place where no one can see or here us.

Make sure promises to hear us out, and wait a while before responding rashly and stuff.

Also, I oppose horses if we're going through the forest - they wouldn't be able to come with us.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1052 on: April 16, 2012, 10:57:32 am »

Hey I have an idea. Let's wait until we're in the middle of the haunted forest before we tell him we're a necromancer.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: April 16, 2012, 11:08:25 am »

Hey I have an idea. Let's wait until we're in the middle of the haunted forest before we tell him we're a necromancer.
Just in case you are not joking: No, let's keep up with the plan. This have all the markings to hilariously wrong...
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1054 on: April 16, 2012, 11:24:16 am »

Just in case you are not joking: No, let's keep up with the plan. This have all the markings to hilariously wrong...
I was kidding. It would be hilarious though.

The elf with the worst sense of timing ever. "Hey Omo... I know you're worried about those spooky noises but I have to tell you something. I'm a necromancer and I can raise the dead. I even did it once to a fish, then ate the zombie fish so I could see my own stomach. It was gross."

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: April 16, 2012, 11:52:25 am »

As a side note, I think we should avoid mentioning the "swallowed an undead minow" story to Omo. It was not one of our better moments.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: April 16, 2012, 11:55:18 am »

It was totally one of our better moments. And he'd get a hoot of it... but, not right away. That's a "later" story. After the shock wears off. :P

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: April 16, 2012, 12:04:26 pm »

It was totally one of our better moments. And he'd get a hoot of it... but, not right away. That's a "later" story. After the shock wears off. :P

...IF the shock wears off. He might try and off us there and then, we're still not entirely sure. We shouldn't be banking on ANYTHING at the moment, not even what monk says.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: April 16, 2012, 12:17:56 pm »

He wont try to kill us. He might try to restrain us and turn us in, but I think it is most likely he'd be torn by indecision and, worse comes to worse, gives us a chance to escape before reporting us.

By telling him (rather than letting him discover it should it ever be needed), we're offering him an open hand. Nothing about him makes him seem like the type who'd respond to that with a dagger to the heart.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1059 on: April 16, 2012, 12:19:26 pm »

It will also challenge the assumption that Necromancer = Evil because he knows us and has known us for a long time.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: April 16, 2012, 01:12:51 pm »

For a few copper, you buy a short length of rough, plain
white wool cloth, and cut it into wide strips for use as headbands.

Somebody had to link it:

As to which way to go, The shaken forest looks to be relatively small and the road leading south out of Atkilpeme curves west around it. We should simply be able to go south to the intersection, then east to that road. That way we completely avoid all the dangerous things.

However...before we decide:

Quick price check on horses

That was actually exactly what I was going for. +1 cookie for you!

Mounts can be quite useful, but are also expensive. A pony costs 30 silver- if you buy two, you would be faster over short distances (escaping enemies) but not appreciably faster over long distance. If you had 3 ponies (the third to hold your supplies and distribute your weight) you would travel faster overland, from 24 miles/day to 32. Ponies would indeed be able to accompany you through the forest, you just wouldn't be much faster than if you were on foot for that portion.

The other option would be a light horse. They are much faster than ponies (in fact, they're the fastest available mount) but they cost 75 silver a pop. However, even riding double with Omo you would move faster than on foot, at the 32 mile/day pace. If you managed to secure 3 horses (one for you, Omo, and your supplies) you'd travel at a blistering 48 miles/day. Horses, like ponies, would be able to accompany you through the forest, they would simply be slower.

Neither option would be war-trained, meaning they could spook in tough situations (Calm Animal can solve this situation,) and the costs do not include such niceties as saddles, saddlebags, bridles, etc. Those items are not strictly necessary (especially given your Elvenness) but a pack animal would need something to carry its burden with. Saddlebags only cost 4 silver, but don't hold all too much. A pack saddle would cost 15 silver and allow the animal to carry as much as it can stand up under, which is quite a bit.

Seems like native fauna might be very useful for transportation, in the long run. The lobster wolf seems kind of slow. maybe we'll come across a predator, something that slithers or crawls faster and quieter than any machine through the damp canopies, or across the broad plains.

I would check the price of horses, but I wouldn't rely on them. Horses are often fragile things on alien planets. I speak from experience here.

EDIT: oh whoops. I think this post went on the wrong Topic. XD

*resists urge to include ghostly lobster wolf packs*

south through the haunted forest

What's the benefit of deliberately going through the forest rather than simply following the road around it?
A shorter journey.

More specifically, about 3 days shorter of a journey, assuming you don't have significant trouble in the forest itself. If you get a horse, it'd only save you about a day and a half. Omo's napkin map is rather... rough.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: April 16, 2012, 01:38:44 pm »

A pony costs 30 silver
a light horse.
they cost 75 silver a pop.

I think that's more than we'd like to spend. Pass on mounts then.

What's the benefit of deliberately going through the forest rather than simply following the road around it?
about 3 days shorter of a journey, assuming you don't have significant trouble in the forest itself.

We can take those 3 days. There's nothing in Atkilpeme that we're particularly in a hurry to get to. We've spent too much time near people and cities anyway. It's been ages since we did any necromancy. We have spells to practice and experiments to conduct.

We want to take time on the road.

Head south on foot, follow the road, don't go through forest

Have our chat with Omo then get back to practicing necromancy

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: April 16, 2012, 01:55:07 pm »

I'd actually say go around the edge of the forest. Avoid people, maybe we can explore a bit to check it out. But yeah - once we leave, we're not in any significant hurry. Not worth going through the middle of a potentially dangerous place and getting ourself killed to save a few days.

Draigh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: April 16, 2012, 02:06:38 pm »

One strong argument to go through the forest:
less likely to meet random travellers that notice necromantic experiments

And we are used to be in forests, those humans are just afraid of their own shadows because they are used to the open plains.
Right??

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: April 16, 2012, 04:46:25 pm »

If we acquire a lot of stuff a pony for carrying our supplies might be good, but I don't think we are carrying enough for it to be worth just yet.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 155