Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 656613 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-3
« Reply #1170 on: October 08, 2012, 09:59:27 pm »

Actually... why don't we like him what he would like to see as an example? Tell him we can raise a fish or bug or small animal as a zombie, or we can imbue vitality from ourselves into a golem, or we can steal vitality from something, although you're not so keen on that one.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: October 08, 2012, 10:54:29 pm »

Seriously guys, don't over-complicate this. Remember the bridge incident? Just raise a zombie bug.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: October 09, 2012, 11:29:02 am »

Really, I don't think it will be necessary to provide proof, it isn't exactly something that we are likely to lie about.
he doesn't believe us, so...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1173 on: October 09, 2012, 07:05:22 pm »

Definitely ask him what he would accept as evidence, and show him that. Unless he demands we do something crazy, in which case we should try and talk him into something simpler. Also remember that we have yet to animate a golem that can actually move on it's own, although that's mostly because we haven't tried.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: October 09, 2012, 08:39:59 pm »

Definitely ask him what he would accept as evidence, and show him that. Unless he demands we do something crazy, in which case we should try and talk him into something simpler. Also remember that we have yet to animate a golem that can actually move on it's own, although that's mostly because we haven't tried.

+1
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

lockman766

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail Random
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: October 09, 2012, 10:23:44 pm »

Here here.

Endymion107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: October 09, 2012, 10:50:58 pm »

I vote for this.

Added benefit of making whatever we are going to use as an example less horrifying for him, since he suggested it.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1177 on: October 09, 2012, 10:57:06 pm »

Added benefit of making whatever we are going to use as an example less horrifying for him, since he suggested it.
Well, at least in theory.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: October 09, 2012, 11:05:02 pm »

I actually choose this one. Easing him into this is the best way, even if it isn't possible to be ease someone into this. All in all I think Angle's plan is quite acute, and while Omo might react a bit obtusely, It's the best way.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: October 10, 2012, 03:57:58 am »

+1. This is an excellent suggestion.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: October 10, 2012, 08:28:30 am »

Sounds good to me. We still probably should explain more or less the extent of our powers and that we don't know everything we can do with it yet, so he can choose something we can do for a demonstration.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-4
« Reply #1181 on: October 11, 2012, 03:03:01 pm »

It's alive, IT'S ALIVE! MHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Seriously though, do mention that you can prove it, choose something small and relatively harmless ( say, raising a bug or a fish), tell him what you are going to do, and then do it. Don't simply spring the demonstration on him.

"Listen, just-"
"Omo, I'm a Necromancer. It isn't that hard to prove. C'mon, help me find a bug."
"A bug?"
"Y'know, vermin. Oh hang on, here we go."

Resting your pack on the ground, you carefully lean over the anthill you've discovered by the side of the road. Isolating a nice big soldier ant, you pop off its head and carry the twitching corpse over to Omo.

"Here- this ant is dead, right? Watch. I'm going to zombify it."
"Nym..."
"Shush! The first zombie I made was an ant just like this one, right down to the severed head..."

It has been a while since you cast Raise Zombie, but the spell goes off just as you expected; the familiar rush of icy energy surging from you to the ant, the ant writhing and standing up, a small purple flame taking the place of its head.

Omo's eyes bug out as the ant begins picking a path across your outstretched hand, but you are distracted from his reaction by the brief moment of vertigo associated with gaining a level- your Vitality goes up a little! As you gaze upon your creation, you discover that your Necromantic Sight seems to have changed- you now see in more detail. Not only do you sense the Necromantic Energy animating the corpse, but you can see how it twists and turns throughout the body. Most of the Necromantic Energy (as well as the rather insignificant amount of Vitality) is concentrated in the head, but with your new sight you can sense a tiny, intricate network of Necromantic Energy woven through the major parts of the ant's body- the legs and the core of the body, mostly. Further, your newly refined senses inform you that the Vitality of the ant is contained within that network. Encapsulated by it, would perhaps be-

Your curious examination of the tiny ant and its tiny parts is rudely interrupted when Omo regains enough composure to speak.

"Blood and bloody flaming ashes, Nym! You brought that flaming ant back to life!"
Seeing that you've made your point, you crush the ant in your hands and let the body fall to the ground. "Yes, I did. As I've been saying for the past five minutes now, I am a Necromancer."
Omo stares at the fallen ant before helplessly looking back to you. "Yeah, but... oh, burn me Nym, my best friend can't be a Necromancer!"
"You keep saying that, yes. I'm... very sorry if I can't be your best friend now."
"Burn me, Nym, I didn't mean it like-"
"Then how did you mean it, huh? You're still my best friend, but I can't very well stop being a Necromancer. I'm not evil- I'm going to find a way to use my powers for good. That's why I'm going to the Sacred Grove- to try and do some good. So... are you going to come with me? Please?"
"Bloody... you can't just spring this on a guy, you know? Just... gimme some time to think about it."

Omo slowly continues down the road, and you hastily grab your pack and run up to walk alongside him. Omo keeps his gaze on the road, ignoring your attempts to catch his eye. With a sigh, you resign yourself to silence for the next leg of your journey.

Before long, you begin passing more and more farms as you approach the first village on the highway. It isn't much of a village- a couple brick inns and a stone temple surrounded by houses. A single watch tower to the East serves as the only defense for the villagers- certainly nothing capable of repelling a zombie horde. That said, there are plenty of farmers and villagers going about their business. Although the atmosphere is tense and worried, nobody seems to be on the brink of abandoning their town and fleeing to Larathor.

Omo doesn't stop here, so neither do you, and you quickly pass beyond village limits. Once you have a semblance of privacy on the lonely road, Omo breaks the silence.

"So... have you raised a lot of zombies, then?"
"Not really, actually. Some bugs. A fish. A tree, by accident."
"...you accidentally zombified a tree?"
"Yeah, well, this is harder than it looks. I don't really know what I'm doing, and every time I learn something I just find there's a dozen other things I don't know about. Like, okay, apparently I can make golems? I stuffed a bunch of Vitality in a rock, anyway."
"Weird."
"Yeah."

The next dozen steps pass in silence.

"Okay, so, do you know anything about the other Necromancers?"
"No. Well, I know what you know- they're out there and apparently evil. Well, actually, have we heard of any atrocities being performed by the Pirate King?"
"Nothing specific, I guess. I just kinda did the math that Necromancers equal Evil."
"I can tell you that isn't true, so I'm not willing to write off the Pirate King so quickly. He's ambitious, maybe, but that doesn't mean he has to be evil."
"It's bloody strange though- there being three Necromancers, I mean. Two of them active at the same time, alright, I can believe that. But three?"
"I don't know, Omo."

A family of farmers approaches from the East, their worldly possessions piled high on a broad, sturdy wagon. You exchange a friendly nod as their wagon clatters past, on their way to refuge in Larathor. You wait until they are well out of earshot before resuming your conversation.

"So... convinced I'm not crazy and evil yet?"
"Heh. Well, you've always been crazy."
"And..."
"And I don't really believe you have an evil bone in your body, no."
"So are you coming with me? I could really use a friend."
"Burn me, Nym. Yeah, I'll go along with you. Somebody's got to keep you out of troub- gah!"

Your tackle hug catches him a bit off-guard, and he shoves you off with a laugh. You spend the remainder of your travel speaking of inconsequential things, simply enjoying one another's company.

As the sun sets, you arrive at the next village. Unlike the last one, this village is surrounded with a low earthen wall and moat- judging by the soldiers still driving sharpened stakes into the wall, its construction is recent. The road is barricaded with overturned carts and heavy barrels, forming an impromptu gate. The soldiers on guard wave you through with little more than a cursory glance before returning to their nightly preparations.

The whole village is full of soldiers- although there does seem to be some villagers moving about, much of the traffic is off-duty infantry. Entering one of the inns, you find the common room entirely populated by soldiers, with the innkeeper and a few serving wenches struggling to keep up with the demands for food and booze. With a little difficulty, you flag down the innkeeper.

"Excuse me? I'm guessing all your rooms are taken by soldiers, but do you have any lodging available? A spot by the fire, maybe?"
"Well, if you want a spot by the fire I can oblige you later tonight when the crowd thins out, but as it happens I do have rooms available for rent. Most of the soldiers are quartered in abandoned houses, leaving me free to run my business."
"Oh, well that's a relief! Yes, we'd like a room and a hot meal, then. I take it these soldiers are here to fight the Necromancer, then?"
"They're here to fight zombies, anyway. There are attacks every few nights, either here or out in the countryside."
"Why are the soldiers here? Why aren't they at the next village down the road?"
"Is that where you're bound? I hope you don't have any family out that way- most of the villagers died in the early attacks, and the ones that survived fled. The village is abandoned now, and in truth most farms East of here are abandoned as well. The Imperial Army patrols every night, but if they're ten minutes away when the dead knock on your door they can't do much other than bury you afterwards."
"I see. Well, we'll figure something out. Now, our rooms?"

For two silver pieces, you get to enjoy a bowl of stew and all the bawdy soldier songs you can stand. Unsurprisingly, it turns out Omo can stand the singing much better than you can, and you retire early to your room. It's not quite as fine as the room you stayed at in Larathor, but the sheets are clean and the blankets thick. Throwing a quilt on the floor for Omo, you burrow into the narrow bed and quickly fall asleep.

You are sitting by your favorite fishing hole. It's dark, but that's alright- the fishes glow purple, and they're easy to spot. You idly dip your bare feet in the pond- the water is icy cold, but it doesn't bother you. Pulling your shirt over your head, you cast it aside before slipping into the water.

Your feet slap on cold stone as you arrive. This is a strange room- you don't think you've been here before. A small wooden table with two chairs stand before you- across the stone chamber, a large leather sofa is seated directly before a roaring fireplace. Smoothing your nightgown, you glance up at the ceiling before quickly averting your gaze- the ceiling is Dangerous.

Despite the fire, this room is cold, and you look for a way out. There don't appear to be any windows or doors, however. Looking behind you, you see only the same wall as the rest of the chamber.

"Well it's about time!"

Startled, you quickly turn around. Standing with her back to you on the other side of the sofa is a young, red-haired human woman wearing a blue dress embroidered with little black skulls along the sleeves. She turns slowly, cradling a glass of wine in her fingers.

"You know, I thought it was odd when Mokra told me another Necromancer would arise- it wasn't in the plan, y'know? And then you took so long to-"

Her emerald green eyes widen in shock when she sees you.

"You're an elf maiden?!? An elf. Well that explains a lot, doesn't it..."

Regaining her composure, she sets her glass down on a table (there wasn't a table over there before, was there?) and walks around the sofa. As she does so, she suddenly turns into a tall blond elven man wearing a fine midnight blue silk shirt and loose green pants, smiling as he strolls over you.

"How- how do you know I'm a Necromancer? Where are we? Who are you?"
"Only Necromancers can be in this room- I built it myself, y'know. Very detailed work, dreamscaping. It's much more difficult to build than it is to destroy, and I think I'm quite good at it! Anyway, I brought you here because I myself am a Necromancer. I want you to join me, so I can teach you our art. What's your name? Where are you?"

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Planned Experiments (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Maps (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Author's Note (click to show/hide)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: October 11, 2012, 03:10:35 pm »

Ask further questions.

Who is she?
What are her motives?
Who does she consider friend and enemy?

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: October 11, 2012, 03:19:03 pm »

Oh shit! shitshitshti!

Stall. Stall until you can't stall anymore. Try to sound him about his objectives and philosophy. Discreetly try to discover if he is evil. And stall. If he shows any signs of liking to rant about technical issues, try to get him to rant about the technical aspects of the dreamscape, so you can work on defending yourself. And stall.

Also remember, there are three things to worry here: What he seems to be saying, what he is actually saying, and what he actually wants. Do not assume those are the same. Be careful and wary of him for now. And stall.

First thing, try to play cool and start simply showing curiosity about him contacting you on the dreamscape, how he did it, why now, etc. Afterwards, stall some more.

Do not commit to anything for now. If he starts pushing you, ask for some time to think, everything is too new for you, and quite shocking. If he gives you the opportunity, do be relatively open to him start teaching you some basics and everything, or at least for him to tell you about necromancy as he knows it.

P.S. Did our mana did not grow at all this level, or is that a typo?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: October 11, 2012, 03:28:22 pm »

Oh shit! shitshitshti!

Stall. Stall until you can't stall anymore. Try to sound him about his objectives and philosophy. Discreetly try to discover if he is evil. And stall. If he shows any signs of liking to rant about technical issues, try to get him to rant about the technical aspects of the dreamscape, so you can work on defending yourself. And stall.

Also remember, there are three things to worry here: What he seems to be saying, what he is actually saying, and what he actually wants. Do not assume those are the same. Be careful and wary of him for now. And stall.

First thing, try to play cool and start simply showing curiosity about him contacting you on the dreamscape, how he did it, why now, etc. Afterwards, stall some more.

Do not commit to anything for now. If he starts pushing you, ask for some time to think, everything is too new for you, and quite shocking. If he gives you the opportunity, do be relatively open to him start teaching you some basics and everything, or at least for him to tell you about necromancy as he knows it.

P.S. Did our mana did not grow at all this level, or is that a typo?

It's a she, which means she can't be the Necromancer that's threatening us right now, well not directly threatening but all the same, we should probably assume this is the 'Pirate King', since this Necromancer IIRC is confirmed male.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 155