Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 661901 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-4
« Reply #1185 on: October 11, 2012, 03:37:27 pm »

P.S. Did our mana did not grow at all this level, or is that a typo?

Not a typo.

It's a she, which means she can't be the Necromancer that's threatening us right now, well not directly threatening but all the same, we should probably assume this is the 'Pirate King', since this Necromancer IIRC is confirmed male.

Curo Nightroar is confirmed male.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: October 11, 2012, 03:39:45 pm »

Oh shit! shitshitshti!

Stall. Stall until you can't stall anymore. Try to sound him about his objectives and philosophy. Discreetly try to discover if he is evil. And stall. If he shows any signs of liking to rant about technical issues, try to get him to rant about the technical aspects of the dreamscape, so you can work on defending yourself. And stall.

Also remember, there are three things to worry here: What he seems to be saying, what he is actually saying, and what he actually wants. Do not assume those are the same. Be careful and wary of him for now. And stall.

First thing, try to play cool and start simply showing curiosity about him contacting you on the dreamscape, how he did it, why now, etc. Afterwards, stall some more.

Do not commit to anything for now. If he starts pushing you, ask for some time to think, everything is too new for you, and quite shocking. If he gives you the opportunity, do be relatively open to him start teaching you some basics and everything, or at least for him to tell you about necromancy as he knows it.

P.S. Did our mana did not grow at all this level, or is that a typo?

It's a she, which means she can't be the Necromancer that's threatening us right now, well not directly threatening but all the same, we should probably assume this is the 'Pirate King', since this Necromancer IIRC is confirmed male.

Yeah man, kinda overreacting there. much better to just ask direct and overt questions for now, we have no reason to assume she's an enemy or you're just essentially taking the side of those humans who would kill US for being a necromancer just on that fact alone.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: October 11, 2012, 03:50:14 pm »

She didn't actually -say- she was another necromancer. I think she's some sort of god? She DID change into a he-elf when she found we were she-elfy.

"Join me" = "Worship me", ya?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: October 11, 2012, 04:08:24 pm »

Assume nothing! It might or might not be evil, a god, an evil god, or anything else. Hell, it might even be the head of a religious order trying to get you to agree that you are a necromancer so they can send a bunch of armed zealots after you ass.

It's not paranoia if they are after you, and as a necromancer, they are after you by definition. CONSTANT VIGILANCE!
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: October 11, 2012, 04:12:36 pm »

She didn't actually -say- she was another necromancer. I think she's some sort of god? She DID change into a he-elf when she found we were she-elfy.

An interesting theory.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: October 11, 2012, 04:56:26 pm »

Interesting. I'm in the "assume nothing, and ask questions" camp. Be guarded, though. Since we don't know if she's nice or evil, let's not take any chances.

(Also, who's Mokra? ??? )

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: October 11, 2012, 05:06:47 pm »

Initial impression: This is the ghost of some necromancer from Golgotha. Morka is probably another ghost. Their plan appears to involve giving a couple of people necromantic powers and then waiting for them to do necromancy in front of someone before contacting them via magical dream ghost vision things. Their ultimate goal may be to bring back Golgotha.

That is alot of "probably" and "maybe" though.

We should probably go ahead and say that our name is Nym, but hold off on telling this mysterious person where we are until we find out a few things:
"Who are you and who is Morka?"
"Are you also teaching the other two necromancers?"
"What are you two planning to do with the necromancers?"

The first one should give us some idea of what's going on if they answer it. The second one should give some idea of whether they're evil - whoever is behind Curo Nightroar is probably a bad guy unless we're seriously misinformed about what's going on. And asking what their plan is before agreeing to learn from this mysterious person is just good sense.

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: October 11, 2012, 05:21:13 pm »

Well first let's be good guests and answer her first question. Answering the second question, probably not so wise. After we tell her our first name, and only our first name, start asking questions. Make sure to say nothing about Omo, letting something slip is the last thing we want. So basically, ask questions, let nothing slip. Questions as to why there are three necromancers at once, ask who the hell they are, and once we get some exposition, get down to the nitty gritty. Questions about necromancy, how to make a golem move, stuff like that.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 05:45:47 pm by joemoben »
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

Dracken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: October 11, 2012, 05:29:14 pm »

I'm Fairly certain he/she/it is a necromancer,i dont think its been stated what Mr. pirate kings gender is yet.Did anybody else notice him mention a "plan"?
Hang on, you want us to be nice to the people??  You do realize that this is the bay12 forums, right?

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: October 11, 2012, 05:45:52 pm »

The other necromancers have titles, and if names hold any power in this world, now might be a good time to give ourselves one instead of sharing it freely.

We know nothing of this situation - for all we know, we could legitimately be in danger here, so there is no need to react harshly, but remain guarded. We know nothing of what's going on, and giving formation freely could be dangerous - and considering Necromancy's reputation, distrust could be expected.

We can't even trust what we're seeing - there is no guaranteeing this person is female, male, or even alive. They control this place, clearly.

Find out who they are and what's going on with the other Necromancer's, and then we'll consider answering questions - right now knowledge is the only bit of leverage we have, and we don't have much.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: October 11, 2012, 05:51:33 pm »

Our title should be Good, obviously. Not Evil. It should show that we're here to help, not hurt. That we're here to fix the past wrongs.

I think we should go by the Redeemer. We're redeeming the old elven lands, we're redeeming necromancy, and possibly even redeeming elvenkind, by taking an active part in the world instead of sitting back and letting it flow past.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: October 11, 2012, 07:30:20 pm »

She did say that she was a necromancer, but she didn't say she was a necromancer like us. It's possible that she's a necromantic god, but since there's been no mention of gods so far, I very much doubt it- religions in this world seem to focus on concepts such as Water and Order, not actual deities, although those concepts may have personifications for all we know.

As for the transformation, isn't strange that she made such a blatant demonstration of her powers, at least in this supposed dream realm? (She never actually said we were in there, just implied it strongly.) That's not exactly conducive to deception. There are two most likely reasons for this: Either it's such an ingrained habit that she simply didn't think of it (in which case, she must indeed be skilled at 'dreamscaping', and, if she's telling the truth about it being as difficult as it is, she's also probably a very skilled mage, as well) or she wants us to be aware of her abilities. Perhaps this is a forewarning, so that we don't try anything funny- necromancers of the past seem to lend credence to this theory. On the other hand, it could be a literal demonstration- an attempt to both quail us and get us curious about her offer.

Either way, caution is the best course to take here- but don't get so paranoid that we disregard her without hearing what she has to say, or worse, make an enemy of her. We don't want to take a gift horse without looking in its mouth, not in our situation, but we also don't want to lose what may be our only opportunity to learn necromancy from someone who seems to know what they're doing, instead of through vague secondhand accounts and dangerous experimentation.

EDIT: As for a title, I, personally, think that's a little egoistic at this point, but whatevs.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 07:47:51 pm by Deep Waters »
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: October 11, 2012, 07:46:18 pm »

Our title should be Good, obviously. Not Evil. It should show that we're here to help, not hurt. That we're here to fix the past wrongs.

I think we should go by the Redeemer. We're redeeming the old elven lands, we're redeeming necromancy, and possibly even redeeming elvenkind, by taking an active part in the world instead of sitting back and letting it flow past.

Heh, I like that title.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: October 11, 2012, 07:51:14 pm »

Well, we'll either succeed, in which case it will be a fitting title. We'll fail, in which case we'll be lost to history and no one will care. Or we'll fail horribly and go all dark-side, in which case it'll be a suitably ironic title!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: October 11, 2012, 09:26:57 pm »

Well, it seems likely that the two known necromancers are human male, and our host commenced as human female, and now they are elven male, which suggests that they are propagating an appearance of same species, different gender, for whatever reason... Nightroar doesn't seem subtle, but the Pirate may well be willing to use something like this as a deception to extract information from Nightroar. Acting as a mentor would allow you to share knowledge with a rival to make both parties stronger, and then lead the rival into a trap to maintain an advantage despite having shared your skills... There is probably a god of death, which can be referred to as Golgotha, which likely supports necromancy, and has likely been on poor terms with the living, on account of the living being uncomfortable with the prospect of death, but if anyone is going to be a perpetual ghost then it is likely a necromancer, so there could well be a few hanging around in some form or another. It is quite possible that this place is as malleable to us as it is to them, and it may just be a dream, us projecting our concerns over our confrontation with Omo...
As far as suggestions for our current situation are concerned... The only instruction I am inclined to furnish is... PANIC!!!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 155