Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 656552 times)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-4
« Reply #1200 on: October 11, 2012, 09:28:09 pm »

Well, it seems likely that the two known necromancers are human male, and our host commenced as human female, and now they are elven male,
We are an elven girl. And yes, it does create some interesting implications about our ex, and the gender roles in elven society... :P
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: October 11, 2012, 09:29:18 pm »

As far as suggestions for our current situation are concerned... The only instruction I am inclined to furnish is... PANIC!!!

:|

Well, it seems likely that the two known necromancers are human male, and our host commenced as human female, and now they are elven male,
We are an elven girl. And yes, it does create some interesting implications about our ex, and the gender roles in elven society... :P

You do not know how happy I was when that came about. :3
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1202 on: October 12, 2012, 12:06:19 am »

Oh shit! shitshitshti!

Stall. Stall until you can't stall anymore. Try to sound him about his objectives and philosophy. Discreetly try to discover if he is evil. And stall. If he shows any signs of liking to rant about technical issues, try to get him to rant about the technical aspects of the dreamscape, so you can work on defending yourself. And stall.

Also remember, there are three things to worry here: What he seems to be saying, what he is actually saying, and what he actually wants. Do not assume those are the same. Be careful and wary of him for now. And stall.

First thing, try to play cool and start simply showing curiosity about him contacting you on the dreamscape, how he did it, why now, etc. Afterwards, stall some more.

Do not commit to anything for now. If he starts pushing you, ask for some time to think, everything is too new for you, and quite shocking. If he gives you the opportunity, do be relatively open to him start teaching you some basics and everything, or at least for him to tell you about necromancy as he knows it.

P.S. Did our mana did not grow at all this level, or is that a typo?

Ask ALL the questions. And stall, yes, stall. Avoid commitment. Try and test our host's temperament - ask a question that's just a very little bit rude or thoughtless, and see how they react. Do they get annoyed with us? Do they not notice? Do they turn the other cheek? etc.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: October 12, 2012, 05:11:22 am »

I think we should be a respectful this could be a god and there is no doubt that she is a lot more powerful than us (someone that nearly died raising a tree) and a bored god that can’t do anything at the moment will better to learn from a bunch of dusty books or experiments that can kill us.
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: October 12, 2012, 10:48:38 am »

As far as suggestions for our current situation are concerned... The only instruction I am inclined to furnish is... PANIC!!!

:|

You do not know how happy I was when that came about. :3
Personally, if I were the mod I'd retcon that to just being your (other) best friend, but whatever.

Anyway, I think reply with first name only (giving ourselves a title at this point is just being egotistical), and just discreetly ask questions to see where they stand.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: October 12, 2012, 11:06:29 am »

I think we should be a respectful this could be a god and there is no doubt that she is a lot more powerful than us (someone that nearly died raising a tree) and a bored god that can’t do anything at the moment will better to learn from a bunch of dusty books or experiments that can kill us.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: October 12, 2012, 12:02:58 pm »

I am not convinced that it is certain that they are more powerful than us. They could quite easily be some sort of formerly skilled, though not necessarily powerful, necromancer who transferred their spirit to this place and is no longer capable of much at all. Alternatively they could be a figment of our imaginary imagination. Or they could be a chaos shaman using some form of confusion magic on us. Or maybe someone dosed our food with a hallucinogenic compound... And there are too many variations on it being in some way ourself to bother listing them all.

P.S.
Nuclear ferrets.

P.P.S.
 Aaaaaargh, it is coming for us!!!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-5
« Reply #1207 on: October 12, 2012, 04:27:40 pm »

Ask further questions.

Who is she?
What are her motives?
Who does she consider friend and enemy?
Interesting. I'm in the "assume nothing, and ask questions" camp. Be guarded, though. Since we don't know if she's nice or evil, let's not take any chances.

(Also, who's Mokra? ??? )
Initial impression: This is the ghost of some necromancer from Golgotha. Morka is probably another ghost. Their plan appears to involve giving a couple of people necromantic powers and then waiting for them to do necromancy in front of someone before contacting them via magical dream ghost vision things. Their ultimate goal may be to bring back Golgotha.

That is alot of "probably" and "maybe" though.

We should probably go ahead and say that our name is Nym, but hold off on telling this mysterious person where we are until we find out a few things:
"Who are you and who is Morka?"
"Are you also teaching the other two necromancers?"
"What are you two planning to do with the necromancers?"

The first one should give us some idea of what's going on if they answer it. The second one should give some idea of whether they're evil - whoever is behind Curo Nightroar is probably a bad guy unless we're seriously misinformed about what's going on. And asking what their plan is before agreeing to learn from this mysterious person is just good sense.

Taking a discreet half-step away from the stranger, you respond.

"My name is Nym. Who are you, and who is Morka?"
He smiles. "You've answered one half of one of my questions, and want two of your own? Ha! Your suspicion does you credit, considering the world we live in. My name is Fale Packunion, and Morka is my god. Your god too, if you know what's good for you- Morka is the most powerful god of Death in Urak. The only one now, really."
"Yeah, well, forgive me if I'm not up to date on the pantheon of a dead race. So, what do you want with me? Have you approached the other necromancers?"
Fale claps happily. "Perceptive! I like that- I practically had to rub Nightroar's face in it before he saw the big picture. Yes, Morka and I have been working to create a world safe for Necromancers. You should know better than anyone that the other denizens of Urak hate and fear us- admit you're a Necromancer, and bam, you've got an army on your doorstep! They're jealous of our power- one of us is worth a multitude of them! But this time, there isn't just one of us. Working together, we can ascend to our rightful place as masters of Urak!"
"So your eventual goal is world domination, then?"
"It's all or nothing for us, Nym- no quarter asked, and none given. That's been the way of the world ever since the Golgothan War, us against them. So! I've answered your questions in good faith- will you answer mine? Will you work with us, and share our knowledge? Where are you?"

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Planned Experiments (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Maps (click to show/hide)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: October 12, 2012, 04:39:57 pm »

We can't help her if she's supporting people like Curo. Even if we do agree with her goals kinda sorta (at least the "people should not randomly murder necromancers" part) Curo is exactly the root of the problem and not part of the solution.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: October 12, 2012, 04:52:41 pm »

Yeah, bummer. We can't really help her if we want to prove the world that we're nice, so we have to find a way out. And obviously, she's more powerful than us and everything. I don't know what we're going to do to be safe really.

So we can't say yes, and we can't say no either, it looks dangerous. We should find a way to at least remain neutral, I guess ? A "we have the same goals but different methods" kind of deal ? Any association is going to be bad for us in the long run, and while we're going to clash eventually, the later the better. We could try to "join them" only to back-stab them later, but we're supposed to be nice, I don't like that option. So ...

... Yeah, I don't really know what to do ...

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: October 12, 2012, 05:08:44 pm »

There's a god involved then. Fuckitfuck.

Anyway, probe her more. And STALL!

Let's go with something of the such:

"You ask as if you can't simply rip it out of my head.", "You ask as if you needed me to tell you that.", "You entered my head, can't you simply see it?" or something of the like. Overestimating their capabilities is nice and their reaction to implying that they could know it without us telling him might tell quite a bit about what is the actual limit to their powers.

Probe her on the "the only one now, really." part as well. The only one, now? Were there more?

We also have no evidence but her word that she really there on behalf of Morka, which we also only have her word as evidence that he is indeed a death god. She isn't outright hostile to our paranoia, so this probably won't really cause offense.

But anyway, their goals are pretty clearly evil. They want to conquer the world, kill all those who oppose and possibly some more (necromancers... They just need a viable breeding population to keep them supplied with raw materials). They try to dress their stated goal as creating a safe world, but the real stated objective is to conquer the world, and put the necromancers in power, period. We also don't know if she will actually share power or just use us as dragon and/or cross us the moment we are not useful to her anymore. Outright refusing and being hostile is probably unhealthy. Stall. STALL! Stall until you grow old and gray (yes, you are an elf, that will take a long time, so? :P). Show reluctance. Don't be outright hostile, do not do the whole swearing you will never join then, etc. Basically do not burn any bridges. While, yes, we do not intend to ever cross them the time they expend courting and trying to convert us is time they don't spend trying to hunt and kill us. And that is something to worry about.

There are very few necromancers, and each apparently is a incredibly useful and grand resource. They are unlikely to give up on recruiting us even if we don't join up immediately, but that changes if we are apparently directing opposing them and do not show signs of changing our mind. So, STALL! Ask for time. Show reluctance. Ask to be given the opportunity to see more of the world with your own eyes first and confirm there's no chance of peaceful existence (framing it something like: "Let me see by myself that my "foolish naive dreams" are indeed foolish naive dreams."). Stall, stall, stall. Stall until strange aeons come and death itself dies. STALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

If they absolutely corner us and force a decision now, without any possibility to avoid it, we can see what possibilities we have in hand, but I'd say put a price for our help: Namely, leaving the elven lands alone. Not even if the elf attack the necromancers they should be attacked on their lands. Elves outside them might either be fair game or protected unless they attack first, but either way, the elven lands should be safe. Still, don't make the decision unless we absolutely have no other option. Instead, stall, stall, stall!

Anyway, on the morning inform Omo of the situation, and tell him you need to start working on becoming able to oppose them, which including training, researching and building a power base. Work on doing so. We need to work on overtime to be able to be in a position where we can actually declare opposition to the other necromancers. If the necromancers can somehow scry us and see that we tell them that we are doing so so can keep him as our asset for now and that we are working on creating a power base so we are safe from those who would hunt us. Stall some more. Also, research old tomes and etc. to discover if there is any "good" death god, or at least a neutral one. We might need a god to handle another.

If the necromancers start to actively hunt us and seems to manage to know where we are, run back to the elven lands. The council can probably use this information. And yes, reveal ourselves to them. Put ourselves as a possible weapon against the others and pray that they don't decide to kill us them. Try to get our mother, father, mentor and ex-girlfriend in our side before actually revealing everything of course.

Oh, and have I mentioned that we should stall? At the very least put it to the shock and ask for time.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: October 12, 2012, 05:46:54 pm »

I would advise against stalling. We're in a dream, so it may not even work, and even if it did it would be needlessly antagonizing a powerful opponent, which is #7 on the Big List of Things Not To Do When Becoming a Powerful Wizard, right alongside "don't brag" and "don't cast spells that you don't know what they do".

We should say that A] We agree with their goal of making the world safe for necromancers, but B] we can't agree to be on the same side as someone like Curo Nightroar since his sort of necromancy is the sort that gives all necromancers their bad name, and C] because of that we're not saying where we are until something changes and we are willing to join.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: October 12, 2012, 06:37:10 pm »

"don't cast spells that you don't know what they do".

I do that all the time I generally get not bad results like a cloud of butterfly’s
anyway I think we are talking to the pirite king so go ahead and grill him for info as well as get some info on the god he/she carn't have much power because he/she would have done something.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 06:49:30 pm by killerhellhound »
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: October 12, 2012, 08:28:57 pm »

Act suspicious. Act suspicious as all hell. Extract as much information out of her- er, him- her- dammit, IT as you can, and then say that it's still not enough, that you know what people do to necromancers- after all, you're part of the race that has the most reason to hate them; you know how much they fantasize about what they'd do if they got their hands on an amateur necromancer, etc. etc. etc., and you can't trust anything she/he/it says solely on their word. Act like you're a paranoid schizophrenic if you have to- convince her/him/it that you've got no reason to believe that she/he/it is what she/he/it is, and maybe you'll be able to get out of this without making either an (involuntary) ally or an enemy out of her/him/it.
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: October 12, 2012, 08:44:02 pm »

Act like you're a paranoid schizophrenic if you have to- convince

Why would you ever want to do that?

maybe you'll be able to get out of this without making either an (involuntary) ally or an enemy out of her/him/it.
Making the other necromancers think we're crazy and irrational will make them want to kill us because we're a threat to their plans. Don't do that.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 155