Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 656731 times)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-8
« Reply #1320 on: November 29, 2012, 06:09:02 pm »

maybe the kids are in a tree right on the edge
That's something to worry about. When we see the zombies we can see what they are doing. If they are trying to clumsily climb and/or attack a tree, don't try to use necromancy. If they are just standing there, magical attacks should be safer to use.

I'd say start with Command Zombie on one of them, then let Omo and the controlled zombie deal with them. The zombie is disposable (and in fact will be disposed of after the battle), and Omo is a trained fighter. You are an untrained elven girl. If they attack you, drain Vitality or alternatively try to figure out if you can just cast a "Destroy Zombie" spell.

Let's avoid too much academics and research right now though, since we are still following a trail. We can't really afford to go spend too much time playing with the dead, we have to find those kids first. Besides, we are going to find more hostile undeads later on, we don't depend exclusively on this three.

Experiment for Later (or now if we have mana after the zombies): See if we can figure out how to do a "See Vitality/Detect Life/Detect Higher Lifeform" spell or the such. When we do, try to focus on animals bigger than a certain threshold (bigger than a small dog maybe?).

Couple experiments for much later: One is trying to figure out a outright "destroy vitality" spell. Something that you can do for cheaper in combat. Also, trying to expand on that to create a "disinfectant" spell, for cleaning up wounds and the like, killing anything that would cause an infection. Practice on animals first. In fact, practice on dead animals first, try to avoid some meat to rot, or something like that.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: November 29, 2012, 10:42:43 pm »

If we can get all three zombies, we MIGHT able to use them to find the kids. 5 eyepairs better than 2. Or at least corral them into heading towards us, since the kids are likely to be terrified of them.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: November 29, 2012, 11:04:55 pm »

Well, there's kind of a social stigma against being pals with zombies right now, so If people see the zombies ignoring us they might think we're some kind of spy/secret zombie. I can't help but remember the scarlet crusade and their endlessly expanding definition of being tainted. Besides, avoiding an elven ranger in a thick forest is difficult for normal humans.

Finally, now that we can see the detailed threads of necromantic workings, lets see if we can unravel them.
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

Kitten Snot

• Bay Watcher
  • In need of literary skill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: November 30, 2012, 11:31:07 am »

I agree with the rest. Cast command undead and then let Omo attack them if needed. The zombie should help too.
Also, seeing how we can "see" through the controlled zombie, we can also get some better bearings on why the zeds are there.
I make stories and sometimes people like them.
Well, they did that once.
I think.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: November 30, 2012, 11:41:44 am »

I don't know, there will almost certainly be plenty of zombies later to experiment on, is it worth taking the risk now rather than later?  I myself am in favor of just trying to take them out the normal way and saving command undead as an emergency spell. 
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: November 30, 2012, 01:20:44 pm »

Now that we've had some good discussion on it, allow me to narrow down the options.

1) Command Undead one zombie, Steal Vitality on another, allow Omo and hopefully now commanded zombie to take out the third

2) Command Undead one zombie, allow Omo and zombie to take on the other two zombies.

3) Steal Vitality on all. Destroy them from a distance, no mercy.

4) Command Undead all zombies, new personal search party.

5) Attempt new "Unravel Necromancy" spell, or similar way to destroy undead short of Vitality damage.

6) Avoid using magic unless Omo is overwhelmed, conserve MP

Go ahead and vote for whatever you want, in whatever order you want. I won't be prompting you for combat actions round by round- basically, give me a plan of attack and you'll execute it until the plan goes to hell (e.g the kids are right in that tree there, You/Omo gets seriously injured, new enemies enter the combat, spell produces unexpected effect, etc)

Current plan is "Look to see if the kids are right here/in a tree, see whether there is any existing "ownership" of zombies, execute attack plan X." Feel free to modify any or all of it. You aren't limited to the options you've already discussed, I'm just looking to redirect the conversation from "what are our options" to "this is what we'll do"

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: November 30, 2012, 01:43:11 pm »

I would say option 5, and if that fails to do anything then Option 1.
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: November 30, 2012, 01:44:00 pm »

Thinking better, trying to play with new magic in a combat situation where the exact strength of the enemy is unknown is a bad, bad idea. We should figure out about the unravel vitality necromancy (and/or some that simply destroys vitality instead of grabbing it and keeping it in a usable form), but not now, later on zombies we know we can take without any problems in a more controlled situation than this.

Number 4 is out as well, using zombies as a search party is an even worse idea right now. It ranks pretty much as "hey, let's reveal ourselves as necromancers". IF we do so, we must do after we are well established as a hero, so they might stop to give us the benefit of doubt before going for the torches and pitchforks.

I'd say, a mix of 2 with 6, Command Undead on one of them, and let the zombie plus Omo deal with the other two. Other than that, if Omo seems to be on a tight spot, jump in with Steal Vitality, but if he seems able to, let him handle it with only a single zombie of help.

If we miss the kids and they actually see it, bullshit it as secret elven powers and that now they are keepers of the secret. Hopefully if they start telling tales it will be dismissed as inflating the whole deal.

Do remember to tell Omo the plan btw, so he can actually expect one friendly undead (to be destroyed post battle, we can't afford to keep it around for now).

And heavily changing subjects, we need a better income source later. Looting ruins might be one of the best options if we can. Weapons, armor, potions, all this is kinda expensive.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: November 30, 2012, 04:21:26 pm »

I vote 3. We know for a fact that it will work, it will not look suspicious to any children that may or may not be watching and it does not involve anyone we care about engaging in melee combat with the undead.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: November 30, 2012, 05:10:23 pm »

2) Command Undead one zombie, allow Omo and zombie to take on the other two zombies.
I would like two, it tests all our spells in uncontrolled circumstances and should leave us with some reserves. It seems like a good field test of our combat magic without exposing us much. And tell Omo to show no mercy to any that may or may not be controlled. The kids may be watching and we don't really want to be travelling with one...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: November 30, 2012, 09:13:18 pm »

I vote again for #2.

(PS:  Neat thread.  PTW in disguise)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 09:15:46 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: November 30, 2012, 09:22:11 pm »

I vote for #2. But make sure to stay close to Omo for the ordeal, and have a hatchet ready to back him up in the unlikely chance that he can't take on 2-3 (hopefully unarmored/unarmed) zombies. If the zombies are armed or armored, Then we should consider retreating and resurveying the situation.

Always keep a good reserve of mana in case things get out of hand and you need to steal vitality from more foes than expected or attempt to heal a wounded companion.

I have a feeling stealing all their vitality could potentially exhaust us and leave us open to attack, but be prepared to use it as a last resort.

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: November 30, 2012, 09:24:54 pm »

If we manage to command the undead, send them away.Not far, but away. If we look for the kids with them, or if the kids see them acting passive with us, they might tell the villagers that something odd happened.
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

Fireiy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: December 01, 2012, 02:20:50 am »

Wonder if steal vitality could be used to heal Omo if he gets wounded.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 155