Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 656560 times)

lockman766

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail Random
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-8
« Reply #1335 on: December 01, 2012, 02:53:05 am »

Wonder if steal vitality could be used to heal Omo if he gets wounded.
That's actually my theory. I don't think we should test it right now unless we get desperate.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: December 01, 2012, 05:26:18 am »

I have a feeling stealing all their vitality could potentially exhaust us and leave us open to attack, but be prepared to use it as a last resort.

Stealing the vitality of all three zombies will cost us 6 mana out of our 12, leaving us with 6 more mana to do whatever with. Plus the mana potion we have, in case of emergency, plus the fact that we'll regenerate our mana next time we sleep.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: December 01, 2012, 06:24:30 pm »

If we manage to command the undead, send them away.Not far, but away. If we look for the kids with them, or if the kids see them acting passive with us, they might tell the villagers that something odd happened.
I would suggest that if we command an undead that it be deanimated promptly.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: December 01, 2012, 06:55:50 pm »

If we manage to command the undead, send them away.Not far, but away. If we look for the kids with them, or if the kids see them acting passive with us, they might tell the villagers that something odd happened.
I would suggest that if we command an undead that it be deanimated promptly.
Yeah. If we command one, at most it will be good for the fight at hand, otherwise it should be destroyed promptly afterwards.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1339 on: December 01, 2012, 10:28:08 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

5, then 2, then wait and help with Steal Vitality if necessary.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 11:14:35 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: December 03, 2012, 09:01:53 pm »

+1
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: December 03, 2012, 09:40:36 pm »

+1
+1           

Reasoning:

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: December 04, 2012, 01:30:31 am »

Hhhhm, you do make a good point.  I vote for 5, then two as well.  Should command undead fail for some reason, attempt 3. 

And make sure to destroy the final zombie after combat, most especially if the kids are beyond the treeline.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: December 04, 2012, 01:57:51 am »

We are more than likely to find more hostile zombies, but if everyone wants it, why not, 3 zombies do not represent a big enough threat to be a big risk.
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: December 04, 2012, 03:37:49 am »

Hhhhm, you do make a good point.  I vote for 5, then two as well.  Should command undead fail for some reason, attempt 3. 

And make sure to destroy the final zombie after combat, most especially if the kids are beyond the treeline.
+1
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: December 05, 2012, 04:31:14 pm »

+1 from me too.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-9
« Reply #1346 on: December 06, 2012, 02:11:29 am »

+1
+1           

Reasoning:

+1

Omo wipes his hands on his pants before hefting his quarterstaff. "The Rangers say that most zombies are slow and flimsy. Easy to defeat if you don't get spooked. We need to get by them to follow the trail- should we fight, or do you have a better idea?"
"Give me your hatchet. I want a better weapon than my belt knife."
Omo gives you a surprised look before rummaging through his pack. "Really? I thought you were going to magic them."
"I am." You take the proffered hatchet, hefting it. "I'm going to try and unmake them, if I can. Then I'll try to take control of the zombie furthest from you- you can team up on the remaining zombie."
"Unmake?"
"You know, like, unravel them. I can make them, so why not unmake them?"
"You can do that?"
"There's one way to find out."

Taking a deep breath, you attempt to concentrate on the zombies. You quickly give up the endeavor as fruitless, however- they are at the extreme edge of your Necromantic Sight, and you simply cannot see them well enough to manipulate the way you want to. You need to be closer.

"They're too far away. Help me sneak up on them."

Omo nods wordlessly, and begins to slowly creep through the grass. ... Omo carefully picks his way past thorny shrubs and hidden gopher holes, guiding you toward the zombies sixty feet away. Fifty feet. Forty.

When you are about thirty feet away, you put a hand on Omo's back, signalling him to stop. ... The moon rising beyond the forest casts deep shadows beneath the trees, the zombies illuminated only by the purple flame that dances in their eyes. You can see them clearly now that you are closer- in life, they were likely peasants, and they still wear their ragged tunics and stained pants. Your stomach turns at the stench of rotten meat. One zombie is missing an arm, a milky white shard of bone jutting out of the stump. The zombies have no weapons, and appear to be doing nothing more than standing idly, occasionally turning to face a new direction.

From here, you can see the shape of the necromantic energy in their bodies, if not the finer details. A great deal of it seems to be concentrated in the head, flowing down the spine and splitting off into the arms and legs. To your eyes, it's rather like being able to see the strings and sticks that move a puppet. Extending your will, you concentrate on the head of the nearest zombie- it appears to be the most important part of the zombie, and possibly the key to unraveling the undead. You can almost feel the necromantic energy there, with it's smooth, glassy texture. Suddenly, you find purchase, and you deftly begin to pull, attempting to unravel the fabric of the-

Impair Undead

You blink as the zombie's eyes flash once, then wink out. Immediately, the zombie throws its arms out and staggers around briefly before promptly tripping over a shrub. More worryingly, both the one-armed zombie and the third, furthest zombie turn toward the bush where you and Omo are hidden and begin purposely striding over to you.

Shouting wordlessly, Omo springs from your hiding place and charges toward the zombies, ... thrusting one end of his quarterstaff squarely into the one-armed zombie's chest. ... The zombie stumbles back from the force of the blow, but remains standing.

Acting quickly, you cast Command Undead on the zombie behind it and experience the familiar moment of vertigo as your consciousness floods the zombie. You become aware of everything the zombie is feeling- its joints and muscles are stiff and resist movement, its left leg is quite deteriorated as the rot has nearly reached the bone, and the zombie retains an impetus to find and kill human figures. Much like the crayfish what seems so long ago, you easily override its old actions and direct it to strike at the one-armed zombie reeling from Omo's blow.  ... Your zombie swipes at the target with one hand, but misses as the enemy once again moves toward Omo.

The one-armed zombie rears back before swinging wildly at Omo,  ... effortlessly smashing the staff from the elf's hands. ... The cold hand of the zombie scratches a furrow down Omo's arm as the elf dances back, cursing. Desperately, you direct your zombie to attack before One-arm can follow up its advantage, ... ... and this time the clumsy swing crashes into the side of the one-armed zombie's skull with a wet thud. One-arm collapses, the lights in its eyes winking out and the necromantic energy that animated the body dispersing.

Omo curses as the first zombie regains its feet, flailing around blindly. Scooping up his staff, Omo runs up to the impaired zombie ... and swings his staff like an overlong club, crushing the zombie's knee. ... The blind zombie collapses once again, its leg twisting uselessly under it. Before Omo can wind up to deliver the killing blow, your minion arrives and awkwardly kicks at the prone zombie, ... connecting with the chest ... and cracking its ribs. The zombie convulses once before lying still, dead once more.

Breathing heavily, Omo shouts happily. "Ha! Yes! There, that wasn't so hard."
You let out a breath you didn't know you were holding. "Are you alright?"
Omo's grin turns to a grimace as he examines his arm. "Yeah, it's just a scratch. It smarts, but it's not too bad. I just underestimated how hard those things can punch."
"Please try to hold onto your weapon in the future, you just about gave me a heart attack."
Omo ignores you, looking around on the ground. Walking over to where the zombies had been clustered, he crouched down before grunting to himself. "Well. The tracks of the children definitely run into the woods. For whatever reason, those three zombies stopped short of the forest. I wonder how long they've been standing here."
"Are you sure they're the same zombies?"
Omo shrugs. "Sure enough. I don't see anything to suggest otherwise, and it'd be a pretty big coincidence that three other zombies happened to wander to the exact location those kids ran into the forest. The question is, what do we do now?"

You shiver in the cold night breeze, eying the forest with distaste. It's quite dark in the thick growth beneath the branches, and you never did get a chance to ask about those rumors that the forest is haunted in some way. It's one thing to go searching for missing children, it's quite another to do so in the middle of the night in a cursed forest. Then again, you now know that the kids weren't caught by the zombies- it's quite possible that they are still alive, lost somewhere in that same forest. And speaking of zombies, you should probably do something about the one you're commanding.

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Omo Thunderjaw (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Notable Figures (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Planned Experiments (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Maps (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 02:52:59 pm by monk12 »

NoahTophatz

• Bay Watcher
  • ^ is a picture of a top hat with eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: December 06, 2012, 02:19:40 am »

command the zombie to self terminate to get rid of another experiment
New words are made by general useage
Mutie? My eldrtich fluffykins? He is a graceful and proud creature! That may or may not be the essence of every nightmare since the beginning of time and will cause you to go mad by being near it.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: December 06, 2012, 02:40:38 am »

command the zombie to self terminate to get rid of another experiment

That. And we should have Omo try to find any tracks in the vicinity after we call out for the children. There is a reason the zombies are centralized here, and that could be some sort of grouping behavior engineered into them, or the children could be nearby (in which case they unfortunately saw an undead acting friendly to us). Unless there's a specific reason they all lost track of the children at that point.

We've learned something rather important from this. Apparently, even the lowest level zombies can immediately sense the direction of a magical attack. We still don't know what exactly constitutes a magical attack, but time will tell. We should be more careful about our use of magic in the future, and get Omo to train us to use a weapon.

We should check for supplies when and if we get back to town, and mark the location of the dead in case the townspeople wish to bury them or at least have the townspeople identify them in case they are those lost in the cottage. It would be good to know if the necromancers have the capability of creating a necromantic minion.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: December 06, 2012, 06:52:39 am »

Oh well, destroy the commanded zombie, and keep looking for the kids. If we manage to save the kids and the town wants to give us a reward, try to see if we can manage getting a polearm out of it. Also, once in town, remember to clean and treat Omo's wound.

And a couple planned experiments:

Trying to develop a destroy vitality spell, using the same principles of the steal vitality, except without keeping it usable. It might be possible to do it for cheaper or causing more damage for the same mana.

Trying to use the principles of the destroy vitality or the steal vitality spell for a disinfectant spell. It will require a lot of fine control, but it should theoretically be possible.

And a sidenote, try to get some anatomy and health care books once in a bigger town. It should be useful to understand how a body works, as that would allow more efficient undead minions.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 155