Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 320073 times)

Inithis

  • Bay Watcher
  • The Riftborn.
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-10
« Reply #1380 on: December 16, 2012, 07:17:33 pm »

I second syvarris's proposal.
Logged
He immediately begins to beavergoat the man quite thoroughly! At the very beginning, the man is mystified by James' actions, but his face quickly becomes a mask of horror when the procedure starts!

"OH GODS WHY? WHYYY?"

After a twenty minute session, the man is left white as a sheet, hairless and completely and utterly dead. James congratulates himself on a job well done!

RAM

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-10
« Reply #1381 on: December 16, 2012, 07:39:30 pm »

I agree with bucket.
Logged
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Angle

  • Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-10
« Reply #1382 on: December 17, 2012, 01:55:53 am »

Let's hold off on the vitality thing unless the town has no cure for them.
Logged

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

monk12

  • Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-11
« Reply #1383 on: December 18, 2012, 12:59:39 am »

Damn you Grek, bombzero and Angle you managed to post before me this time! :P

But seriously though, yeah, I don't think there's anyway we can get too fancy here without creating major issues or deviating from what we entered the forest to do in the first place, that is, save the kids. So let's carry them back to the village. Do we have any spell in the prestidigitation book that might help?

Hmm, it probably is a waste of mana, but cast detect vitality and detect magic on them, plus examine them for signs of necromantic magic. It might tell us if there's anything wrong with them other than shock and physical illness. It's a bit of paranoia, but as Omo said, the situation looked quite strange. But either way, considering that, it's probably better if we don't take too long around here.

And on another note, we should run some experiments later to figure out if it's something about this particular forest, something about forest in general (unlikely, we'd have noticed it before), or the anti-necromancy wards the village mentioned.
Yeah, seems pretty clear. Get to the village as fast as you can. The stable state of the children is bizarre... that doesn't sound like shock or hypothermia. maybe something stole their souls. In which case we should leave at once and have them examined and possibly saved all the faster.

Good idea with the check vitality. Maybe we'll notice something.
Dang it, I  forgot about this!  And I missed five updates!

Anyways, Omo can cast the minor stuff like detect magic, right?  If so, we should have him cast that and sense vitality.  Our mana is far more important than his.  If anything is wrong with the kids, we should steal vitality from ourself and try to heal the kids a bit.  Ourself because altruism is important if we're trying to be the "good" necromancer.

I wonder if we can turn living people into golems.


You suck air between your teeth, nervously glancing around the clearing. "I don't like this, Omo. Something is very wrong here. We need to get out of this forest as soon as possible."
"You said it. I wish there was more we could do for them, but the priest is probably better equipped for healing than we are."
"You remember your magic lessons, right Omo? Cast Sense Vitality on the kids."
"What, you don't remember? I thought you were the magic-type person here!"
"Don't be stupid- I want to conserve my Mana in case we run into something nasty. If the kids are in really bad shape, I think I have a way to help them."
Omo gives you a shocked look. "Nym, they're sick, or injured, not dead! You are a Necromancer, remember?"
"What did I just say about being stupid? I think I have a way to heal them- I've never done it to anyone else, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Now shut up and cast the bloody spell so we can get out of here!"
Omo shrugs, then casts his spell. He grimaces at what he sees. "Nym, they're in pretty rough shape. Two vitality each. I don't know if it's just the cold, or a prior injury, or something else, but they need help."
"Will they make it to the village?"
"I think so. They should, anyway- I'll keep an eye on them, and let you know if they dip lower."
"Well, let's not waste any more time then. You know the way out of the forest?"
"Do I know the- now who's being stupid? Follow me!"

Omo scoops up the boy, cradling him in one arm and holding the torch up with the other. You take the girl, holding her to your breast with both arms. Although you have lost your sense of direction after all the twists and turns beneath the trees with no stars or moon to guide you, Omo confidently sets off into the forest, quickly leading the way forward. He does not twist or turn to follow the trail that lead you here, instead making straight for the edge of the forest.

At first, the quick pace is quite welcome, as you'd like nothing better than to leave the oppressive forest behind you. Soon enough, however, your legs begin reminding you that you have been on your feet all day, a day of walking that caps off almost a week of nothing but walking- really, you haven't had a day of rest since the Caravan Fair, what seems so long ago. The small girl in your arms felt almost weightless when you picked her up, but ten minutes of walking later she feels like a heavy sack of potatoes. Your stomach chimes in to remind you that rather than eating dinner tonight, you elected to go wandering around scary forests instead. Taken together, the silent complaints of your body are almost enough to make you forget the unwelcoming atmosphere of your surroundings. Almost.

Just when you think that you need to call for a brief rest even if you are still within the forest, Omo laughs in relief. Looking ahead, you can see the open plains of the countryside bathed in moonlight- it seems bright as day compared to the darkness beneath the trees. Another fifty feet, and you'll be in the clear.

Suddenly, you whip your head around, searching behind you in the forest. Coming up behind you is a source of Necromantic Energy- three Vitality's worth, forty five feet away but moving fast, coming straight at you.

Omo pauses, curiously looking back at you, wondering why you've stopped. Should you run for the edge of the forest? The forest floor is treacherous with branches and rocks in the dark, and your load is heavy, but you're a surefooted pair of young elves, and you think you can outrace whatever it is behind you. Then again, it is definitely Necromantic, and you certainly handled those zombies readily enough- you've been saving your Mana for just such an emergency. What should you do?


Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Omo Thunderjaw (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Notable Figures (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Planned Experiments (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Maps (click to show/hide)

Felius

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-11
« Reply #1384 on: December 18, 2012, 01:08:53 am »

One technical correction I just noticed: The range in Steal Vitality should probably be "Line of Sight", not "Line of Effect"

Anyway, a single source of 3 vitality should be reasonable enough to deal with, and thanks to necro sight it can't really hide from us. Well, the decision depends on how fast it is I guess. Really fast as in: "Sprinting Humanoid", "Fast Lurching", "Running Wolf" or what?

It might be worth to get out of the forest or in a clearing for better line of sight.

Actually speaking of line of sight, 1. We should test later if concealed enemies that show on necrosight count for LoS. 2. The next second might be a good later to do so, by casting steal vitality at the necromantic source then keeping running.
Logged
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Phantom of The Library

  • Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-11
« Reply #1385 on: December 18, 2012, 01:12:22 am »

The children are the first priority, get to safety outside of the forest first before trying to confront the thing, if necessary give the girl to Omo and delay the thing (if we can't get rid of it) until he can help. 

Either way, confirm that it's hostile and cast Steal Vitality on the thing and then Impair Undead if it isn't finished off for some reason.
Logged
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Grek

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-11
« Reply #1386 on: December 18, 2012, 01:14:16 am »

Steal its Vitality. We have the mana, we have a spell we know will take this thing out, we should use them.
Logged

Cellmonk

  • Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-11
« Reply #1387 on: December 18, 2012, 01:20:55 am »

Steal its Vitality. We have the mana, we have a spell we know will take this thing out, we should use them.

Agreed. We can't take chances here over the minute chance this thing is friendly. We shouldn't wait until line of sight if this thing happens to be a spy of any necromancer(s) (its speed sets it apart).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 01:24:00 am by Cellmonk »
Logged

Felius

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-11
« Reply #1388 on: December 18, 2012, 01:22:54 am »

Phantom, the issue is that depending on how fast it is, we won't be able to simply to get the kids to safety before whatever that is get to us. It should be possible to deal with it with a single steal vitality if we can hit whatever it is with it, so it shouldn't be too problematic.

No matter what we do though, tell Omo about it. A quick sentence should do. "Necromantic source coming from that direction, fast."

Maybe we can give the kid we are carrying to Omo so we are better able to cast Steal Vitality on it.

And on a different note: For the future: Trying to simulate Zombie Sight (that I believe got living beings highlighted), or some other version of "Detect Life/Lifeform/Heat".
Logged
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Angle

  • Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-11
« Reply #1389 on: December 18, 2012, 01:33:13 am »

Oh shit! Give the kid to Omo, Shout "Necromancy! Run!", then steal vitality max strength, then impair zombie, then run.

Or maybe we should try command zombie? That might tell us all sorts of interesting things. Then again, if this is an intelligent necromantic thing, it could resist our spell.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 01:37:15 am by Angle »
Logged

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Child of Armok

  • Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-11
« Reply #1390 on: December 18, 2012, 02:45:29 am »

Timezones suck.....
Logged

LordBucket

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-11
« Reply #1391 on: December 18, 2012, 03:22:16 am »

I suggest we identify what it is before we choose which spells to cast on it. "Source of necromantic energy, moving fast" does not necessarily mean a zombie.

It's 45 feet away. Let's...you know, turn around at look at it. If it is a zombie, just siphon its vitality to destroy it. If it's not a zombie, be prepared to have Omo take the kids while we figure out what to do about it, but not commit to having him run off in case we need him to thwack something.

Fireiy

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-11
« Reply #1392 on: December 18, 2012, 03:29:11 am »

I suggest we identify what it is before we choose which spells to cast on it. "Source of necromantic energy, moving fast" does not necessarily mean a zombie.

It's 45 feet away. Let's...you know, turn around at look at it. If it is a zombie, just siphon its vitality to destroy it. If it's not a zombie, be prepared to have Omo take the kids while we figure out what to do about it, but not commit to having him run off in case we need him to thwack something.
Good plan, as long as we can cast steal vitality quickly enough.
Logged

Angle

  • Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-11
« Reply #1393 on: December 18, 2012, 04:14:27 am »

Nonono, get omo and the kids out of there. We want them out of harms way. I'm betting this is a ghost of some sort, but regardless of what it is, steal vitality should work just fine. And if not, impair undead or comand undead should do something.
Logged

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

RAM

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-11
« Reply #1394 on: December 18, 2012, 05:21:29 am »

It is probably a denizen of the forest. It is probably related to the necromantic blindness effect on the forest. It is probably partly responsible for the children's condition. It did, however, not kill them, and may be coming for them. Regardless of its intent it will probably appear hostile. I would recommend trying to escape without further casualties while attempting to learn what you can. It is doubtful that it will do any more to the children then it already has...
Logged
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 155