Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 656512 times)

NoahTophatz

• Bay Watcher
  • ^ is a picture of a top hat with eyes
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-13
« Reply #1440 on: December 24, 2012, 05:16:25 am »

This is our big chance to prove that we're on the side of Good. We should be able to turn the curse afflicting Aloclesno back upon itself with a single spell: Just find spirit we encountered in the forest, cast Command Undead and order it to do what it had been doing to the living to the undead instead!
and what if it has been turning the souls into more of itself the forest is pretty big you would need a large amount of them to curse the whole thing better to command it to stay still and do nothing
New words are made by general useage
Mutie? My eldrtich fluffykins? He is a graceful and proud creature! That may or may not be the essence of every nightmare since the beginning of time and will cause you to go mad by being near it.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: December 24, 2012, 08:05:59 am »

If there are more of them (which we do not know to be the case and have little reason to suspect) then our one will fly around converting them into undead destroying spirits as well. So if it's just the one, we've taken that out and if there's more than one, it will quickly convert the rest over the upcoming weeks.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: December 24, 2012, 08:49:31 am »

That would assume that they have souls, which seems less than certain...

Riding around on giant bats would be awesome.

We could start our soul magic by reviewing the kids. If we can figure out the difference between them and a normal child then we would have gotten somewhere...

Investigating the necromancy is a point of urgency, we can't really rest safely knowing that there is an unidentified form of the occult nearby.

Perhaps the elven theurge should phone home and contact the life mages, although order mages probably know more about souls. I expect that they once had a spell for temporarily bringing back their long-dead heroes...

It is possible that killing the thing in the forest would release all the souls it took, although there is no real reason to believe that such would happen, nor that it would help the children if it did.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: December 24, 2012, 09:12:10 am »

We could start our soul magic by reviewing the kids. If we can figure out the difference between them and a normal child then we would have gotten somewhere...

"Hey, can we borrow your kid?  I want to experiment on his soul."

If the soul's been taken, we'd have to figure out where it is first, determine if it's even in a recoverable state, and then figure out how to get it back in.  Sucks for the kids, but there's better things for us to do right now.  If we can figure out (and subdue) what's taking the souls, we can leave that for other mages to fix while we concentrate on the root of the problem.  However, we need to figure out what we're actually trying to do here.

I suggest we wake up, get a bit more general information from the priest (without mentioning the basement item) then quietly investigate it ourself when we have an opportunity.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: December 24, 2012, 10:20:45 am »

I suggest we wake up, get a bit more general information from the priest (without mentioning the basement item) then quietly investigate it ourself with Omo when we have an opportunity.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: December 24, 2012, 11:29:27 am »

I suggest we wake up, get a bit more general information from the priest (without mentioning the basement item) then quietly investigate it ourself with Omo when we have an opportunity.
That have some potential to blow up on our faces. Speak with the priest about general information, ask if the wards also raise alarm if zombies pass through them (even if just silently to him), as that could be useful to know when to send help to someone in case of attack.

Assuming they don't and he doesn't mention he can detect nearby undead, just send a controlled small undead animal to the basement. Rats and Roaches can get there much more easily than we can, and a rat on a temple's basement is not suspicious, nor will cause any issues if caught.

If he can detect the undead, then we might need another plan.

On a sidenote, if we get some free time, study our magical book or ask the priest if he could lend you some.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1446 on: December 24, 2012, 01:53:12 pm »

Before we can try and use magic that affects souls, we need to figure out if we can even see them. Reviewing the difference between the kids and other people is a good idea, and we should also investigate that thing in the basement. ask the priest questions, and also ask him about the basement if we find a good way to bring up the subject.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: December 25, 2012, 02:15:51 am »

You know I have to say I honestly feel like telling the priest that we are a necromancer would be a good idea.
Not quite that bluntly of course, but basically explain to him that we "saw" the monster, fixed the child temporarily after leaving the forest, and kinda lead it back around to us having these powers because we are a necromancer.
IMMEDIATELY, follow this with an offer to help fix the children, before the priest can even utter a syllable.

I mean I know this seems suicidally dangerous, but if we want to confront the other necromancers we /cannot/ do this alone. We're going to need the support of the people, the towns, the cities, the armies, and the rulers. This small town, and more specifically this priest, is a good place to start.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1448 on: December 25, 2012, 02:36:02 am »

I think that bombzero might be on to something here, although I think we should go about it more subtly. Let's hold off on the revealing ourselves as a necromancer. He's right that we need a base of support, and we've got to start somewhere. If we stick around and work to earn these people's trust, they could be exactly the power base we need. But let's not tell anybody, even the priest, what we are for a while yet.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: December 25, 2012, 02:49:57 am »

There's no reason to say we're a necromancer. We can just say that we're a mage and that we noticed an unusual aura in the basement which looks suspiciously like one we observed in the forest when we rescued the children.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1450 on: December 25, 2012, 02:54:24 am »

Oh oh oh! Say that we're a mage and that we want some tutoring! This is a chance to bone up on our general knowledge of magical theory! While we're at it, we can arrange to "discover" or simply tell him about the thing in the basement! We can even earn his trust in the process! It's perfect!

Or perhaps, instead of asking for tutoring, we just ask him questions and help him with the wards and all that. Yes, definitely ask him about the wards and try and solve that mystery. See if we can arrange for him to discover the thing in the basement himself. If he's doing anything magical, stick around and offer to help. If he seems to mention some theory of magic with which we are unfamiliar, take note and ask him about it. If he goes off and does some boring nonmagical priestly thing, take the opportunity to snoop around in the basement.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 11:58:49 am by Angle »

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: December 25, 2012, 08:28:31 am »

No to telling about we being a necromancer. That's a terrible, terrible idea, and will likely blow on our faces.
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: December 25, 2012, 12:41:01 pm »

Guys, for all we know, that thing we saw in the forest? WAS a soul, just trying to get back to its now moving body.

I think in light of this new information, it's a good thing we didn't destroy it.

I would like to mention again my plan of saying that we are a mage trained in fighting necromancy, something the Elves have always feared would be a threat once more, and that while we have limited experience actually USING our training, that is the reason we have left our lands and find ourselves here now. The one encounter had rescuing the children proved the practice of our theory, and it is good to know it works, and more importantly we've been using our magic to detect sources of undead energy... like the one in the basement, and the bits floating around in the wood.

Also, request he keep the information hidden - it would be unwise to let it become general knowledge, to tip our hands before it is needed and before it can be fully tested and we can report back. But, hopefully, our specific training can be of some use at the current time. At the very least, expanding our abilities by managing a basic grasp of this ward magic would be much appreciated - we've proven we can see and destroy (or at least damage) the undead, but hiding from them would be an amazing addition to our repertoire.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1453 on: December 25, 2012, 01:17:15 pm »

The wards look like general magic, which means we probably can't use them. Also, he'll probably see strait through that anti-necromancer thing. It might work on peasants, but I doubt he'll fall for it.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: December 25, 2012, 01:50:25 pm »

The wards look like general magic, which means we probably can't use them. Also, he'll probably see strait through that anti-necromancer thing. It might work on peasants, but I doubt he'll fall for it.
Depends on how much the elves are mythical and mysterious outside the elven lands. Probably not worth the risk, at least for now.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 155