Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 656577 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-13
« Reply #1455 on: December 25, 2012, 02:24:55 pm »

One: We are perfectly capable of learning general magic. See: Our multiple general magic spells.

Two, it doesn't require us to be particularly mythical and mysterious, just reclusive (which we are) and primarily specifying in magics that these humans aren't familiar with (which again is true). All Elves are inherently magical, which is something that's generally known. We just need to play on that.

RoaryStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: December 25, 2012, 04:02:04 pm »

Posting to watch, now that I found that this is back to active.

I believe the dormant necromancy thing is a soul. Or possibly, many souls.

If my theory is true...

Could the necromancer that made the monster do that? And would (s)he make it be recieved under the temple?

It could prove it true.
Maybe it was done to throw other... "good" necromancers off.

Of course, just a theory. But I say:

Try to Command Undead, visuallizing the undead as souls.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: December 25, 2012, 05:51:04 pm »

Just a minor P.S. about the thing in the Forest. It was fast, but it was around 3 vitality. It is unlikely to be some major monster, at least with that.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1458 on: December 25, 2012, 07:06:46 pm »

Cursed typos! I meant "Order" magic!

Also, the thing doesn't need to be very tough, just cast one spell - Steal Soul.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 07:10:57 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: December 25, 2012, 07:09:12 pm »

The thing in the basement also has exactly 3 vitality. And we couldn't visually see the thing in the forest.

I'm beginning to suspect it's some sort of "animate vitality" spell - literally turning their lifeforce into a "ghost", leaving their body missing it.

How much vitality do the kids have remaining again?

RoaryStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: December 25, 2012, 09:33:33 pm »

How much vitality do the kids have remaining again?

2 and 2, if nothing changed.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: December 28, 2012, 03:04:48 am »

If we could learn to replicate the wards, perhaps we could learn to make a ward that's placed on a person (or person-like-animated-being) or a ward that can only be seen through when looking from the inside? It would also be nice to know what happens if two wards overlap. If the only thing that matters is warded/unwarded then it's not too useful, but if areas warded at different times are mutually invisible to each other it should be possible to create some rather interesting effects.

We should probably try going back to the forest during the day, hunting down the thing that chased us earlier, and casting control undead on it. Once it's under control we can get a better look at it and maybe be able to control the basement dweller. It's probably better to control it and do recon that way than to try to find a way to it.

As far as souls go, I  heard something earlier about cattle at nearby farms. We have Pacify Animal too, so I'm sure there are some birds or mice or something we can play with. If there are animals in the forest we should probably try any soul related spells in there. If we can't find any animals in there we should keep the soul experiments inside a warded area.

We may also want to give the kids some more vitality when we wake up, depending on how they're doing.

Also, if we get another dream visit we may want to see exactly how this whole "rule the world" thing is being planned. It seems like each necromancer has a plot of land they're allowed to conquer and rule as they see fit, though I could be wrong. We may be able to have Elven land under our protection, to be conquered by us and left alone by everyone else. If the undead we killed were still sending signal back to their leader we'll probably be called out on breaking them, but let's hope that doesn't happen. If it does happen we should probably apologize and ask for a spell that pacifies undead.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 04:22:06 am by Leonon »

RoaryStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: December 28, 2012, 10:06:15 am »

I'll just post my thoughts on some of our suggestions, and possibly compile a list of the things we now know.

Spoiler: LordBucket on Dec. 24 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ancre on Dec. 24 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: bombzero on Dec. 25 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: GlyphGryph on Dec. 25 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Leonon on Dec. 28 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: My Compilation (click to show/hide)

Let's see...
My idea of what we should do:
Tell the priest the whole story. Tell him of the necromantic source in the basement, then, if he allows us, go and investigate.
If not, experiment on animal souls.

Inform me if I missed anything important or if you have something else to add.
This is a mystery, we need as much evidence as we can get.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 11:08:24 am by RoaryStar »

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: December 28, 2012, 10:30:19 am »

What makes you believe the priest won't simply make a mob out of the townspeople and try to kill us. If nothing else, for "our own good" before the necromantic powers corrupt us.

Telling Omo is one thing, he's a long time friend. The priest barely know us, and we only have some credit with him because we saved the kids.

And that's all assuming he's not actually an evil necromancer disguised as the village priest.
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

RoaryStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: December 28, 2012, 11:01:09 am »

What makes you believe the priest won't simply make a mob out of the townspeople and try to kill us. If nothing else, for "our own good" before the necromantic powers corrupt us.
Telling Omo is one thing, he's a long time friend. The priest barely know us, and we only have some credit with him because we saved the kids.
And that's all assuming he's not actually an evil necromancer disguised as the village priest.
Well, I don't think an evil necromancer will trust random passerby enough to let them go on a rescue mission, unless he wanted to "recruit" more zombies.
It might explain why the wards didn't work, but the townsfolk would lose trust in him, and it's a common strategy to gain trust and then betray.
And I don't think a wise person would kill someone while being attacked by zombies - probably isolate them, maybe interrogate them.
And, if he was a necromancer, he probably would know that you killed his zombies.
Though who knows? Monk12 probably does
Any of us could be right. Maybe none of us got to the answer.

Endymion107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: December 28, 2012, 01:08:41 pm »

Do not tell the priest we are a necromancer. Very bad idea. If we must, at least figure out what the thing in his basement or whatever is first.

Soul magic could be useful, and may be required to fix the children, but it is likely Omo and others would not like the idea of us using it very much.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: December 28, 2012, 03:05:31 pm »

The villagers would be wise to stop Nym if she got discovered, otherwise her undead horde could wipe out entire ponds!

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: December 28, 2012, 08:56:57 pm »

Fear the might of the undead carp! Those fish are freaking hardcore.

But yeah, technically we don't know if the if the priest would turn us in or not. That said, the risk is high and the gain small, so let's not take the risk.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: December 28, 2012, 09:40:46 pm »

We have important things to do and the world will not wait for us(well, it might, some places base their time on dramatic necessity. Even then, there is reason to believe that there are at least two other protagonist out there...). While saving the children would be very nice, it may turn out to be something that we could spend months studying only to discover that the children's souls are unrecoverable and the only source of viable replacements would be taking the souls from other humans of similar ages... I think that we should brace ourselves for the possibility that we cannot practically fix this and move on.
 Having said that, we should take this opportunity to learn what we can about souls, we want the ability to detect them and it would be very nice to learn how to manipulate them, even if only to find ways to prevent it... If we can develop this to a point at which we can cast a spell to locate the children's souls, extract them, and then restore them to the children, then so much the better...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

RoaryStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: December 28, 2012, 09:55:01 pm »

We have important things to do and the world will not wait for us(well, it might, some places base their time on dramatic necessity. Even then, there is reason to believe that there are at least two other protagonist out there...).
You mean antaganists? :P

While saving the children would be very nice, it may turn out to be something that we could spend months studying only to discover that the children's souls are unrecoverable and the only source of viable replacements would be taking the souls from other humans of similar ages... I think that we should brace ourselves for the possibility that we cannot practically fix this and move on.
And in the months we try to do that, we will almost certainly gain experience and learn new spells.

Hmmm... I've changed my mind about telling the priest, with all your criticism. But it'll probably be very hard to learn of the necromantic energy if we do not have permission or if we don't have a lot of information that can tell if it's too dangerous or not. The best way to get permission or to get information from the priest to is to befriend him, and I don't think it'll help to randomly walk out one day.

I now say:
Help the children in any non-necromantic way possible and talk to the priest, using our expert (read: dabbling) social relationship knowledge to attempt to get more out of the priest, then decide on whether or not to look at the necromantic source.

Edit: typo fixed.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 09:59:50 pm by RoaryStar »
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 155