Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 656520 times)

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-13
« Reply #1500 on: January 28, 2013, 08:02:44 am »

The original Golgotha was the location of the crucifixion. It was a byword for any place of suffering.
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1501 on: January 28, 2013, 12:00:11 pm »

Quote from: Mark 15:22
And they took him up to the place Golgotha, which is translated Place of the Skull.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: January 28, 2013, 06:26:37 pm »

Spoiler: Author's note (click to show/hide)
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: January 29, 2013, 03:29:20 am »

i wonder if he is going to continue this..... its been a while/

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: January 29, 2013, 08:19:25 am »

i wonder if he is going to continue this..... its been a while/

He probably will. It's not the first time monk spent a lot of time writing another scene.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-14
« Reply #1505 on: January 31, 2013, 05:10:31 pm »

I now say:
Help the children in any non-necromantic way possible and talk to the priest, using our expert (read: dabbling) social relationship knowledge to attempt to get more out of the priest, then decide on whether or not to look at the necromantic source.
Before we can try and use magic that affects souls, we need to figure out if we can even see them. Reviewing the difference between the kids and other people is a good idea, and we should also investigate that thing in the basement. ask the priest questions, and also ask him about the basement if we find a good way to bring up the subject.
I suggest we wake up, get a bit more general information from the priest (without mentioning the basement item) then quietly investigate it ourself with Omo when we have an opportunity.
That have some potential to blow up on our faces. Speak with the priest about general information, ask if the wards also raise alarm if zombies pass through them (even if just silently to him), as that could be useful to know when to send help to someone in case of attack.

Assuming they don't and he doesn't mention he can detect nearby undead, just send a controlled small undead animal to the basement. Rats and Roaches can get there much more easily than we can, and a rat on a temple's basement is not suspicious, nor will cause any issues if caught.

If he can detect the undead, then we might need another plan.

On a sidenote, if we get some free time, study our magical book or ask the priest if he could lend you some.
Having said that, we should take this opportunity to learn what we can about souls, we want the ability to detect them and it would be very nice to learn how to manipulate them, even if only to find ways to prevent it... If we can develop this to a point at which we can cast a spell to locate the children's souls, extract them, and then restore them to the children, then so much the better...

You wake up early the next morning when Eko brightens the lanterns. You groan softly when you realize the hour, but although you give some serious thought to going back to bed you regretfully conclude that you are now awake, and you won't fall asleep again easily. You sit up and rub the sleep from your eyes. Seeing you stir, Eko smiles and beckons you to follow him further into the Temple, away from the other sleepers.

Stifling a yawn, you stretch as you stand up. The Necromantic Energy below you is in the exact same place it was when you went to bed. You pause for a moment- the children are also exactly as you last saw them, eyes open, staring at the ceiling. Omo has tangled his blankets rather thoroughly, and a snore intermittently escapes from the tangled sheets. You think of the ways your sight has changed, and how you can see things differently now. You try to detect a difference between the soulless children and the slumbering elf, but no matter how you squint you see nothing. If Necromancers can see souls, it must not be an ability you possess yet, unless there's some other trick you don't know yet...

You push it from your mind and follow Eko. The next room turns out to be a combination kitchen and living room. It is almost uncomfortably warm due to the large fireplace that no doubt heats most of the Temple, an iron pot bubbling over the flames. The wall to the left is lined with cupboards and cabinets, every surface covered with dirty dishes, loose papers, an old hammer, and other detritus of daily life. A small table with two chairs takes up the space to the right, along with a comfy-looking armchair positioned near the fire.

You regard the door to the left with some small interest, as the symbol Eko wears around his neck is engraved into it, but the priest shows you to the door on the right wall. It opens into a narrow, dark hallway. Although you can see another door further down, Eko directs your attention to the nearest door- a washroom complete with a large, steaming bowl of water. Thanking the priest profusely, you pause only to fetch a change of clothes from your pack before satisfying some basic needs.

When you emerge some minutes later, clean and refreshed, you find Eko spooning a porridge of oats and beans into a bowl for you. You eye the mixture somewhat doubtfully, especially when Eko pours a cup of milk into the bowl along with a couple slices of dried apple. Despite your trepidation, however, it turns out to be... entirely palatable. It certainly lacks in flavor and texture, but it isn't repulsive and it is quite filling.

"So... this porridge is good." You say, breaking the silence.
"You are kind to say so." Eko replies, grinning slightly. "It is easy to swallow and easy to digest, ideal for sick patients."
"Ah. For the children, then. What are you going to do for them?"
"Well, I confirmed their condition while you were still asleep- peace and quiet really does help the spellcasting process, you know." Eko's grin fades, and he sighs. "There isn't much I can do for them at this point. I will feed them, give them water, keep their bodies alive, and if their condition does not improve in a month's time... well, I will allow nature to take its course."
"You'll let the children die?" You say incredulously.
"What else can I do? My magics have failed me again. The records say that in the past we've called on healers from all faiths, even the Elves, but the Mages could do nothing for us. These bodies could easily persist into old age if we cared for them, but for what purpose? They are already dead, and the living still need my care."

An awkward silence descends on the room. Eko stares moodily into the crackling flames, absently patting at his robes. You cough discreetly into one hand, casting about for a change of subject.

"Um... your wards only block sight, right?"
"That's right." Eko nods.
"Can they do anything else? Can they actually block the zombies, or raise an alarm?"
"Sufficiently powerful wards could, yes. The strongest wards I can cast would not do much other than slow down the undead for a time, and would take me some time to cast in the first place. The only reason I haven't cast more powerful wards is because they are quite mana-intensive; before the zombies there was no need for stronger wards, and now I must reserve a portion of my mana in case it is needed to repel an attack."
You blink in surprise. "Your magic can repel zombies?"
"If it comes to that. I specialize in defensive wards, but no Wizard situated near the haunted forest can serve without knowing some specialty spells. Undead are an aberration from the natural order- it stand to reason a Wizard can restore it." Eko shrugs. "I don't know how effective I can be- more likely I will need the mana for healing spells. Either way, I cannot overexert myself in good conscience."
You blink in surprise. "Oh. Well, your wards- can they repel loose souls?"
"Your concern for the children is touching, but no, their souls are not trapped in the forest by my wards, if that's what you are getting at. I do know wards for protection against spirits and ghosts, but none of those are in place around the forest. And remember, there were many victims before it was thought needful to ward the forest- they lay comatose for years, but never recovered."

You are about to ask another question, but at that moment Omo enters the room, drawn by the smell of breakfast. You make small talk while Eko goes to feed the children and his other patient. Afterward, he disappears through the door to the right, reemerging a few moments later with a walking stick. He slips his flask into his robes and tightens the laces on his boots.

"I'm afraid I must leave for a time- I need to check the wards on the outlying farms, and I plan to set some new wards to give the village warning of another attack. The Temple is open to you- what food isn't in here is in the storeroom down the hall, and I have some books in my room if you wish to read, though you may find the subject matter dry. I should only be gone a few hours."

You make your farewells, trying in vain to come up with a way to casually mention the basement. Eko Cleanvise steps onto the road East, purposefully making his way out of town and ignoring one villager's hail. You return to the kitchen, where Omo is finishing up his breakfast.

"I hope they don't all eat like this in Thrimesdur. So, are we moving on today?"
"I don't want to go yet, maybe not for a while. At the least, I'd like to find out what's going on in the basement. Maybe if I experiment enough, I can find a way to help the children."
Omo scrapes the last soggy bean out of his bowl before pushing it away. "Well, what should we do first?"

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Omo Thunderjaw (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Notable Figures (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Planned Experiments (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Maps (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Author's Note (click to show/hide)

RoaryStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: January 31, 2013, 05:33:53 pm »

Yay, update!

We can use this time to:
a) check on the kids using our own magic, maybe learn a few examination spells
b) look at the necromantic source
c) attempt to go back to sleep
d) talk to the villagers
e) do some magic of our own
f) try to make our own wards
g) go exploring in the forest again
h) find out how the general population eats here

I'd say, in order of priority:
A, B, D, E, F, H, C, and lastly, G.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: January 31, 2013, 05:41:35 pm »

How about we sneak into the basement and check out the source.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1508 on: January 31, 2013, 06:16:28 pm »

Yay, update!

We can use this time to:
d) talk to the villagers

I say A and then B. Also, try command undead at the children. It will not help them or hurt them but we might learn some things about necromancy and see the extent of our powers over humans (can we see their memories for example?). Then again nothing yells evil necromancer like mind controlling children.

Edit: Oh and don't forget to check what's in the door with the symbol (maybe use a spy insect if it's locked?). Unless of course that's the door to the basement.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 06:33:56 pm by Parisbre56 »

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: January 31, 2013, 06:27:41 pm »

He just said the temple is open to us. Let's play the curious children, and explore the whole temple! Which coincidentally includes the basement.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: January 31, 2013, 06:34:48 pm »

He just said the temple is open to us. Let's play the curious children, and explore the whole temple! Which coincidentally includes the basement.
Yeah, we should look in the basement, unless it is inaccessible for some reason. Otherwise we should look at some of the books in the temple library.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: January 31, 2013, 09:38:38 pm »

Update! Yay!
*Does the happy dance*

P.S.
agree
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1512 on: January 31, 2013, 10:51:10 pm »

Huzzah!

For now, check on the kids using our own magic, then grab Omo and go snooping in the basement. We should be careful to not to touch the thing- It might possess us, or set off an alarm, or something similarly nasty.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 10:54:27 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: February 01, 2013, 03:42:58 am »

Yay, update!

We can use this time to:
d) talk to the villagers

I say A and then B. Also, try command undead at the children. It will not help them or hurt them but we might learn some things about necromancy and see the extent of our powers over humans (can we see their memories for example?). Then again nothing yells evil necromancer like mind controlling children.

Edit: Oh and don't forget to check what's in the door with the symbol (maybe use a spy insect if it's locked?). Unless of course that's the door to the basement.

+1

Although, i dont think trying to take on a soul stealing spirit demon thing at the moment is a good idea, so lets stay out the forest for now.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: February 01, 2013, 05:18:07 am »

When checking out the basement, use our own magic detecting spell to see if there are any magical effects going on nearby. It should alert us to magical traps that protect the source.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 155