Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 656790 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-14
« Reply #1515 on: February 01, 2013, 07:48:22 pm »

Or any wards that are being used to keep necromantic energy sources from leaving the locale...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: February 01, 2013, 08:58:38 pm »

My personal todo list:
-Use Steal Vitality on ourselves or a nearby plant. Insert the vitality into the children. This should revive them.
-Go into the basement, look at the necromantic thing downstairs.

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: February 01, 2013, 10:42:42 pm »

-Use Steal Vitality on ourselves or a nearby plant. Insert the vitality into the children. This should revive them.
They already have Vitality, giving them more probably won't help.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

NoahTophatz

• Bay Watcher
  • ^ is a picture of a top hat with eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: February 01, 2013, 11:33:58 pm »

Lack of soul won't be fixed with more vitality
New words are made by general useage
Mutie? My eldrtich fluffykins? He is a graceful and proud creature! That may or may not be the essence of every nightmare since the beginning of time and will cause you to go mad by being near it.

RoaryStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: February 02, 2013, 11:58:22 am »

They already have Vitality, giving them more probably won't help.

In fact, we've already done that to give one of the kids 1 vitality to get them back to two. It hurt us a lot, and did nothing to help them.

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: February 07, 2013, 07:22:43 pm »

Yay, update!

We can use this time to:
a) check on the kids using our own magic, maybe learn a few examination spells
b) look at the necromantic source
c) attempt to go back to sleep
d) talk to the villagers
e) do some magic of our own
f) try to make our own wards
g) go exploring in the forest again
h) find out how the general population eats here

I'd say, in order of priority:
A, B, D, E, F, H, C, and lastly, G.
I say A and then B. Also, try command undead at the children. It will not help them or hurt them but we might learn some things about necromancy and see the extent of our powers over humans (can we see their memories for example?). Then again nothing yells evil necromancer like mind controlling children.

Edit: Oh and don't forget to check what's in the door with the symbol (maybe use a spy insect if it's locked?). Unless of course that's the door to the basement.

+1

Although, i dont think trying to take on a soul stealing spirit demon thing at the moment is a good idea, so lets stay out the forest for now.
+1
I would also suggest that we determine the vitality-mana exchange rate before we do any experiments that connect to that.

EDIT- and examine the temple(and especially the door) with detect magic. If the door is coated in order spells, then there is either a good reason to prevent us from opening it, or something that needs to be sealed on the other side. Not to mention, if it's magic, then we just explain that we detected a spell and ask what it does.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 07:40:06 pm by racnor »
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: February 13, 2013, 06:11:45 am »

bumpity bump.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: February 13, 2013, 08:20:41 pm »

ppp mub mub mub
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: February 13, 2013, 08:25:48 pm »

Also, has anyone here read warbreaker? It gave me a bunch of ideas for cloth golems.(shirts with finger-tassels, cloaks that trip attackers independantly). we could make our wardrobe a golem with some kind of pin as a power core so we never actually have to risk destroying it.
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: February 13, 2013, 08:55:40 pm »

It could be tricky to have autonomous clothing. It could act inappropriately. When the stranger's belt strangles one of the town's street urchins, "they tried to steal my coin pouch" won't always be enough to keep you out of trouble...
Read the First Post!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-15
« Reply #1525 on: March 01, 2013, 10:25:23 pm »

He just said the temple is open to us. Let's play the curious children, and explore the whole temple! Which coincidentally includes the basement.
For now, check on the kids using our own magic, then grab Omo and go snooping in the basement. We should be careful to not to touch the thing- It might possess us, or set off an alarm, or something similarly nasty.
When checking out the basement, use our own magic detecting spell to see if there are any magical effects going on nearby. It should alert us to magical traps that protect the source.

"Well, what should we do now?"
"Let's take a quick look at the kids, then check out whatever is in the basement."

You step into the main room of the Temple. The children are as you left them, but the man in the far cot is awake and sitting up, leaning back on his pillows. You cast about for a name- Ado Drunkenstumbles, a survivor of the zombie attack. Seeing him out from under his blankets, you realize that he is hurt quite badly- his left side is swathed in bandages, and his face and arms are heavily bruised.  He directs a sour look at you as you enter- you nearly turn around and leave, but decide to press on. You're sharing sleeping quarters, after all, and it seems as though his dour mood has more to do with his own bedridden state rather than anything you've done.

Standing by the children, you decide to start with your Detect Magic spell, as you'll want that active during your explorations anyway. Unfortunately, as far as you can tell they are completely free of magical energy. However, you quickly notice that the same cannot be said for Ado Drunkenstumbles- he seems to be wearing a layer of magic like a second skin. It's no magic you are familiar with, but it seems likely to be some form of healing, given the circumstances.

You realize you've been staring when Ado fixes you with a glare of his own, and you hastily return your attention to the children. You discreetly cast Sense Vitality, and frown at what you feel- two Vitality each. That's what they had when you brought them back last night, and although it wasn't all that long ago you would still have expected them to recover some Vitality. Maybe it's just shock from their rough treatment, or maybe it's an effect of their soullessness. You wonder why Eko didn't cast any healing spells for them the way it seems he did for Ado.

Uncomfortably aware of Ado's continued observation, you decide to check one last thing. Quickly, you stride to the outer doors, where you had first noticed the Necromantic presence in the basement. Sure enough, you find a faint line of magical energy, seeming to disappear into the walls. Again, you don't recognize what sort of magic it is (though it seems distantly related to the spell on Ado- perhaps because they are both Order spells?) but you would bet anything that this is a ward similar to what encircles the forest. Experimentally, you step outside for a moment- sure enough, your awareness of the Necromantic Energy vanishes.

You glance up the road in the direction Eko left- of course, you see nothing but a few villagers going about their business. You go back inside, quickly walking through the main room and into the kitchen where Omo is waiting.

"Well?" Omo raises an inquiring eyebrow.
"They're unchanged." You sigh. "Completely unchanged- they don't seem to be healing at all."
Omo grunts. "Well, I didn't really expect anything different." Omo points at the door marked with Eko's symbol. "I stuck my head in there, and it looks like an office to me, and where he keeps his ceremonial things. Eko's bedroom is at the end of the hall- not much in there except a shelf full of books I don't understand. But that storeroom he mentioned had a trapdoor in the corner."
"The basement, then. Let's go."

Omo leads you to the storeroom, a small space crammed with cupboards and shelves. The shelves themselves are rather sparce- a few sacks of grain, a keg of ale, a bowl of dried fruit, and another big pot of that soup from last night. Omo moves straight to the far corner, pulling up on an iron ring set in the floor. The trapdoor swings up, resting on the wall and revealing a steep staircase descending into darkness.

You light an oil lamp sitting on a nearby shelf and cautiously walk down the stairs. The air smells musty down here, with that peculiar damp earthy scent familiar from the wine cellars back in Yicelafo. You are also surprised to smell a spicy odor that must have been pungent when it was fresh- you find a shallow bowl with scented candles resting on a barrel at the base of the stairs. The basement is full of junk of all kinds. A bucket of nails rests on a short stack of wooden planks next to a char with a splintered and broken back. One wall is lined with barrels, some full of food, some filled with tools, most covered with a rough tarp. Thick coils of rope hang from hooks on another wall, along with rusty, broken lanterns, a short ladder, and a tasseled spear. What appears to be a narrow window high on the wall has been boarded up.

Omo peers about the cluttered room uneasily, but you pay little attention to the dancing shadows. You walk across the basement to a cleared section of wall. Along the wall here there are obvious holes in the rough stone floor, covered with thick wooden hatches. You don't know what might be stored in such places, nor do you investigate- one hatch is covered with a tarp and a barrel. You might not have realized that the hatches extended that far if it were not clearly the source of the Necromantic energy.

You check the area. You detect no wards, nor any magic of any kind. Signalling to Omo, you wrestle the barrel away, then pull the tarp clear. The hatch beneath is shut securely. The Necromantic energy hasn't moved at all, not since the moment you first stepped into the temple. Omo shoots you a questioning look, and at your nod he grabs the handle, pulling the hatch open.

The zombie below lurches against its restraints, silently struggling to attack you.

You step back, suppressing a retch. The zombie is quite thoroughly decayed, and the stench of rotting flesh is overpowering. Omo curses, coughing as he jumps back. You put a hand to your nose and lean back over, examining the zombie. The bloated and rotten corpse is wearing the dirty, tattered remnants of a soldier's uniform over a stained suit of leather armor. It is missing one leg. The creature is held in place by lengths of thick rope, binding it to a pair of wooden boards wedged between the walls of its prison, holding it immobile. Some of the rope is loose where it has sawed into rotten flesh. You grimace- upon closer inspection, the zombie's arms are nailed to the wood. Its glowing purple eyes remain fixed on you as it strains to break free.

"Blood and ashes!" Omo scowls in disgust. "What is this?"

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Omo Thunderjaw (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Notable Figures (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Planned Experiments (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Maps (click to show/hide)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: March 01, 2013, 10:32:30 pm »

Most interesting. The way the zombie is restrained do suggest that the priest is not a necromancer, maybe having got the zombie with the intention to study ways to deal with it. It also suggest he might be willing to compromise a bit and use means that would be considered evil by the rest of the populace. Maybe we could even try to actually reveal our situation to him and make him an ally, after all, it's much easier to study ways to deal with necromancy when you have a friendly necromancer giving you a hand.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: March 02, 2013, 02:54:18 am »

A soldier, perhaps one of their former friends that they didn't wish to kill. Although the brutality of the restraints suggest otherwise... Does the uniform match the local soldiers? It could be for a long time ago... Check if there are any signs of this spot being visited recently by anyone other than yourself...
Read the First Post!

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: March 02, 2013, 09:35:18 am »

I guess everyone has a few skeletons in the closet. How old does this thing look?

RoaryStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: March 02, 2013, 11:59:39 am »

UPDATE!!!!

Right.

So, the zombie has an army uniform, and it's on a...

...pair of wooden boards...

Oh.

Inspect the boards, if it looks like a cross (as in, the cristian kind that the Son was nailed on), and the uniform. Keep a mental image of the uniform.

Most interesting. The way the zombie is restrained do suggest that the priest is not a necromancer, maybe having got the zombie with the intention to study ways to deal with it. It also suggest he might be willing to compromise a bit and use means that would be considered evil by the rest of the populace. Maybe we could even try to actually reveal our situation to him and make him an ally, after all, it's much easier to study ways to deal with necromancy when you have a friendly necromancer giving you a hand.

Maybe it's restrained like that so he dosen't have to constantly use his mana?
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 155