Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 656647 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-15
« Reply #1530 on: March 02, 2013, 12:08:51 pm »

He'd only have to use mana once to stop it moving, if he was a necromancer. Besides, he's already used order magic, and it's not supposed to be possible to use multiple disciplines of magic. How old was the stuff holding it down? Was thing put here recently, or has it been here for centuries?'

Regardless, put all the stuff back and continue snooping.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: March 02, 2013, 12:23:52 pm »

It is unlikely to be christian iconography, given that life and order nations don't seem to be that way inclined, although I suppose water is always a possibility(I seem to think that water has proper knights for some reason, which would be silly, because knights traditionally dislike floating...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: March 02, 2013, 12:53:08 pm »

Well, this is unexpected... How are we going to handle this? It speaks of dark things, the treatment and current place of this zombie, but what does it mean? WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!?!

I wonder... This zombie has obviously seen things, definately whoever did this to it, and we are a necromancer... Can we use our powers to see into the zombie's memory, or see what happened to it, and find out whoever did this?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1533 on: March 02, 2013, 01:05:55 pm »

If it was held for research then there should be a journal or notebook around here. We should search around for more info. Also, inspect the zombie. Does its necromantic energy seem... different? More complex or generally just unusual, like someone messed with it or constructed it with a different method than ours.

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: March 02, 2013, 01:54:52 pm »

Use Command Undead to order the zombie to be silent and unmoving, then continue snooping around the basement. Make sure to check under the other hatches.

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: March 02, 2013, 01:56:32 pm »

don't command it. the priest might notice a difference. However, this did give me an idea for a later experiment: could we use necromancy to fool zombies into thinking we are fellow undead?
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: March 02, 2013, 06:36:54 pm »

Yeah, also voting against messing with the zombie for now.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: March 05, 2013, 11:46:40 am »

* GlyphGryph does the "Yay, a recent update!" dance, and proceeds to eagerly await the next one.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: March 05, 2013, 12:00:05 pm »

Yeah, leave the zombie alone.  The priest clearly just uses it as a test dummy.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: March 05, 2013, 06:05:53 pm »

Looking for documentation is a good idea...
Read the First Post!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-16
« Reply #1540 on: March 07, 2013, 11:07:30 pm »

I guess everyone has a few skeletons in the closet. How old does this thing look?
A soldier, perhaps one of their former friends that they didn't wish to kill. Although the brutality of the restraints suggest otherwise... Does the uniform match the local soldiers? It could be for a long time ago... Check if there are any signs of this spot being visited recently by anyone other than yourself...
If it was held for research then there should be a journal or notebook around here. We should search around for more info. Also, inspect the zombie. Does its necromantic energy seem... different? More complex or generally just unusual, like someone messed with it or constructed it with a different method than ours.
Yeah, also voting against messing with the zombie for now.

"Blood and ashes!" Omo scowls in disgust. "What is this?"
You squat by the hole, resting on your heels as you examine the zombie. "Well, I don't think it has been down here for ages or anything like that. If I found a body that looked like this, I would say it died a few weeks ago, a month at the outside. I don't know if being reanimated as a zombie preserves it at all- I certainly don't see any maggots or beetles or the like. It's about as decayed as the zombies we fought outside Aloclesno, though. The uniform is the same."
Omo spits off to one side, ignoring your disapproving look. "So what, somebody put it down here recently? Do we still suspect Eko of Necromancy?"
You shake your head. "No. Not really. Eko has cast several Order spells, and if he were a Necromancer he wouldn't have to restrain the zombie, he could just order it to be still."
"Then why the secrecy? Why lock it in the basement where nobody can find it, under a pile of junk? How did he even get it down here? If he can't control it then it must have been trying to claw his face off the whole time."

You look around, troubled. You see no signs of a struggle, no stains of blood on the ground, nothing unusually smashed or disorderly in the general clutter. Eko might simply be very good at cleaning up after himself- indeed, there is very little dust or dirt down here- but it would still be very difficult for one man to wrestle a zombie by himself, even with its missing leg.

"I think he was experimenting on it."
"Experimenting?"
"Yeah. That would explain why he wouldn't just destroy it right away, and it's probably not something that would sit well with the villagers. Let's see if we can find any notes, something to explain what exactly he was doing."

Omo gives you a doubtful look, but gathers up the tarp. You briefly consider using Command Undead to calm the zombie, allowing you to search the body in detail or perhaps check if it has memories that could yield a clue, but ultimately you decide not to tamper in any way that might be detected Eko or anyone else. Shutting the hatch, you replace the tarp and barrel and begin searching the basement.

The other hatches along the wall are all empty, their purpose as mysterious as ever. Methodically, you and Omo work through the piles of junk and old furniture, searching for anything out of the ordinary. Just when you begin to consider going back upstairs to check out Eko's office, Omo waves from across the room, pulling a folded piece of paper out from within a shuttered lantern. You walk over to where he is smoothing it out on the top of a barrel, reading over his shoulder.

minor ward
   minor ward no restraint
   stone
   spear
   detect undead
   detect thoughts
   detect magic
   probe thoughts

You frown. "A spell list?"
Omo snorts. "They aren't all spells, unless you think he cast "spear" on that zombie."
"Some of those must be spells, though. I know a ward is what Eko calls his defenses against the undead, and even I know how to cast Detect Magic."
"Do you think they're all general spells? Maybe he's a Necromancer after all."
"I don't know. It doesn't feel right- the spells I felt upstairs didn't feel like general magic to me."
"Well, what do we do now?"

What indeed- you can't have been down here for more than an hour, meaning you still have some hours before Eko returns. You've searched the basement rather thoroughly- it might not hurt to search other rooms in more depth, or perform some experiments of your own. You do not know why- or how- Eko would perform these experiments, and precious little information to extrapolate from.

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Omo Thunderjaw (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Notable Figures (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Planned Experiments (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Maps (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Author's Note (click to show/hide)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: March 07, 2013, 11:17:05 pm »

Might be good to confront the priest later about the whole zombie thing, but yeah, he's nearly certain just experimenting on it to learn how to deal better with them.

For now, let's explore the rest of the house.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: March 08, 2013, 12:18:56 am »

If he got the zombie down there without any incident... Maybe it wasn't a zombie when he tied it down...

Now that could just mean that someone got infected and volunteered, but that's not the ONLY thing that could have happened.

No, I think we should try and search it's thoughts, such as they are. Search for what Eko has been doing, who it was before Zombification, how it became a zombie.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: March 08, 2013, 01:30:28 am »

And if we CAN work our way through a zombies memory, though could be IMMENSELY useful to us in the future.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: March 08, 2013, 02:21:01 am »

I am not convinced that zombies are contagious...
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 155