Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 664149 times)

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-17
« Reply #1590 on: May 07, 2013, 10:23:45 pm »

Do we know what would happen if we gave someone more vitality than their maximum?

Practice more spells from Prestidigitation for Beginners.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: May 08, 2013, 01:32:46 am »

Well, we could try the trick with giving them vitality again, but this time try to match and boost their own pulses.

We really should make a journal of our magical studies, but it would be a risky thing if it was found.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1592 on: May 08, 2013, 02:45:07 am »

Eh, I think we might be better off poking around the forest. Maybe put together a golem, and see if we can make it move? If so, we could send it into the forest to poke around.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: May 08, 2013, 02:51:59 am »

I like how necromancy is actually mostly just moving life energy around and sensing it in various ways, and it's not actually the foul and evil craft that it's said to be. I mean, even raising the dead is just basically shoving vitality into a dead body with an underlying line of command to it. That's why I like this and why I'm glad to see it alive.

The surges are interesting, especially where it seems concentrated and pulsing a lot around injuries as they heal. Could we move vitality around in someone's body to these injuries and increase the pulses/concentration of the vitality there to heal them faster? Maybe giving someone a burst of large surges could jumpstart someone, like the kids?

Also, HOW THE HELL DID YOU FINISH THAT GAME?! I never get that far! :(

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: May 08, 2013, 10:52:51 am »

I like how necromancy is actually mostly just moving life energy around and sensing it in various ways, and it's not actually the foul and evil craft that it's said to be. I mean, even raising the dead is just basically shoving vitality into a dead body with an underlying line of command to it. That's why I like this and why I'm glad to see it alive.

The surges are interesting, especially where it seems concentrated and pulsing a lot around injuries as they heal. Could we move vitality around in someone's body to these injuries and increase the pulses/concentration of the vitality there to heal them faster? Maybe giving someone a burst of large surges could jumpstart someone, like the kids?

Also, HOW THE HELL DID YOU FINISH THAT GAME?! I never get that far! :(

A solid month's worth of dying a lot and learning to run away- out of like 200 games, I've only had 3 characters touch even one Rune of Zot, 2 of which made it to the bottom of Zot, and only the winner managed to touch the Orb. It helped that I was competing/working with a friend to do it- he was the first one of us to grab the Orb, but he died on the way back up.

Also, cookie for one of the things you said

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1595 on: May 08, 2013, 12:42:01 pm »

+1 to what Zako said about how well thought this necromancy is and how you managed to finish that game. Also loved the descriptions of viewing the vitality network. It was like I could see it.

It seems like souls are indeed (at least in part) vitality constructs. The existance of ghosts and spirits raises the question of whether or not we could create a necromantic construct made out of pure vitality. Too bad we don't have a Life mage with us. Since they, like us, focus on vitality and have a very similar spell, it stands to reason that they would know at least some things about vitality and souls. Hmmm... that curse may be simple to solve. It may just be that no one with the right set of skills has come along. Someone who can understand what's going on here. A life mage or a necromancer. Maybe even nightroar can't understand what's going on here, since he seems too preoccupied with killing everything.

Perhaps the zombies can carry out more complex commands because they are human. We know that raise zombie recreates part of the vitality network of the corpse, so the more complex the corpse, the more complex the vitality network will be and thus more complex commands can be carried out. Then again, their creator may have altered their vitality network to be able to understand more complex commands.

"Go out and gather corpses..." Seems like whoever created them is building an army near the northern edge of the haunted forest. That means that Nightroar is still gathering his armies and preparing to strike. But why is he so close to Aloclesno? Is he moving to strike the elves first? Is he afraid of the human armies? Or could he have sensed us? Is he close enough to Command Undead? Is that why the wards "failed"?

Why would Eko hide the zombie? He could say he was afraid that the villagers would panic, but that's a weak excuse. He is very suspicious. We should find him and confront him, if not now, then soon.

We could do Animate Object and Alter Golem on the lock to open it and then Steal Vitality to destroy the golem, however that would take too much mana. By the time we were done, we would have no mana left. Too dangerous.

Hmmm... The question now is, can we recreate the vitality network in the children? Is the lost vitality stored somewhere for later consumption by whatever stalks the forest?

That flask seems weird. I wouldn't expect a follower of Order to be constantly drinking. And why is he constantly carrying one with him? It can't be a mana potion, he wouldn't need to drink from it all the time. Maybe some other form of alchemy? Maybe we should investigate it, try to take a small sip.

So for this turn I say:
1.Test the flask. Smell it, take a small sip, etc...
2.Find Omo and then go find Eko.
3.If there is nothing wrong with either of them, confront Eko about the zombie. Ask him why he didn't warn the villagers. Tell him we found the zombie while exploring the temple. Tell him we understand the need to perform experiments, however that's no reason to keep his fellow villagers in the dark. If they knew, they could have better defended themselves. Also ask him how did he manage to capture it without it killing him?
4. Prepare to venture into the forest.

Not so sure about 4, but I think it's the best we can do right now.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:47:46 pm by Parisbre56 »

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1596 on: May 08, 2013, 01:03:05 pm »

I don't think e should venture into the forest ourselves, that's probably best left to minions, if we can make some. And we should confron eko in private, in case the villagers really would kill him.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: May 08, 2013, 01:09:19 pm »

In regards to the flask, if you remember the wards take mana over time. At least that's what I gathered from it.

He might need a ready mana potion nearby at all times to replenish his stocks, if I remember correctly he's a fairly low-level mage so doesn't have much reserves at all.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1598 on: May 08, 2013, 05:43:01 pm »

Another thing for next time then: how much pool do wards require to maintain, if any? When you run out of mana, will the wards draw your vitality?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: May 08, 2013, 08:14:30 pm »

I think that we should make another foray into the forest at some point. If we can reliably detect the entities, and destroy them with steal vitality, then the forest would be much safer for us than for most others. That is too much of a resource to pass up. And really, that forest seems to fall into the category of 'messes that necromancy left behind' so would be a nice bit of P.R. if we could clean it out...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: May 09, 2013, 01:24:38 pm »

I think that we should make another foray into the forest at some point. If we can reliably detect the entities, and destroy them with steal vitality, then the forest would be much safer for us than for most others. That is too much of a resource to pass up. And really, that forest seems to fall into the category of 'messes that necromancy left behind' so would be a nice bit of P.R. if we could clean it out...
In the future, it does sound like something quite useful to do. Right now? Too much risk, too little gain. PR is not really important until we are outed as a necromancer, and if we can help it, we are not going to be so until we are in an really secure position, holding a lot of personal power.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1601 on: May 09, 2013, 04:41:50 pm »

I think going into the forest is the best thing we can do. We've solved one part of the puzzle (we have a faint idea of what souls are and what is wrong with the children) and we need the second one (What did that thing do to them? If it stole their souls, where are the children's souls?). Going into the forest is the easiest and safest (for the children) way to accomplish that.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1602 on: May 09, 2013, 04:43:10 pm »

I still think we should try and assemble a golem, and send it into the forest instead of going ourselves.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: May 09, 2013, 04:54:18 pm »

I support either going ourselves or sending something in that we can control.  Really even if we can't recover the children's souls, figuring out how to make a bodiless construct would be incredibly useful.
Nom nom nom

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: May 09, 2013, 05:02:37 pm »

I think going into the forest is the best thing we can do. We've solved one part of the puzzle (we have a faint idea of what souls are and what is wrong with the children) and we need the second one (What did that thing do to them? If it stole their souls, where are the children's souls?). Going into the forest is the easiest and safest (for the children) way to accomplish that.
It's also a good way to get attacked and become just like they are now. Don't go acting like the foolhardy adventurer. We don't have enough information and power to be able to reasonably bet that we would have a good chance of surviving, much less succeed. It's too bad for the children, but our chances of success are far too low. Instead, let's avoid creating more victims, specifically ourselves and Omo.

Sure, the forest is a point of interest, as is the whole soul stealing thing, but it's a place to come back later when we are, at least, more capable with our powers and in combat in general.

If we do manage to create a golem, I'd be reasonably ok with sending it, but we barely have any experience with them, and the best we did so far was a bit of animated rope. It is also quite risky, specially if the priest keep wards of detecting necromancy around such as the ones in the books we got. Honestly, animating small animals are a less risky bet, as that way at least we don't need to experiment our way into making a viable spy.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 155