Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 656556 times)

RoaryStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-17
« Reply #1650 on: May 11, 2013, 11:18:03 am »

So, to restate my short term actions:
1.Test the flask. Smell it, pour some in a glass, take a small sip, etc...
2.Find Omo and then go find Eko.
3.If there is nothing wrong with either of them, confront Eko about the zombie. Ask him why he didn't warn the villagers. Tell him we found the zombie while exploring the temple. (We were curious about what was in the basement. We were curious about what was in those trapdoors because they looked like prison cells and we couldn't understand their purpose.) Tell him we understand the need to perform experiments, however that's no reason to keep his fellow villagers in the dark. If they knew, they could have better defended themselves. Also ask him how did he manage to capture it without it killing him?
4. Prepare to venture into the forest. (Preparations will depend on the results of the previous actions (if we get to complete them without problems) , so that is why I left it vague. It is a way to state my long term intentions, not a proposal to go into the forest right now.)
+1 to this.
+1
I guess this doesn't have much of a problem.
+1

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: May 16, 2013, 08:40:38 pm »

Let's stay on the edge of the forest so we can escape as quickly as possible if need be.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: June 01, 2013, 11:18:29 pm »

I feel it is necessary to simultaneously bump and PTW, since this is a goddamn epic story with surprisingly well thought-out game mechanics.

OP COME BACK TO US
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: June 01, 2013, 11:56:31 pm »

Monk always ends up coming back. It just takes him a few months, said months cause great languish to his followers, but meh. I'd rather have him work on it when he feels like it than when he feels obligated.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 09:12:41 pm by joemoben »
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: June 02, 2013, 12:08:52 am »

Teehee, raise thread is still funny.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-18
« Reply #1655 on: June 11, 2013, 10:54:05 am »

So, to restate my short term actions:
1.Test the flask. Smell it, pour some in a glass, take a small sip, etc...
2.Find Omo and then go find Eko.
3.If there is nothing wrong with either of them, confront Eko about the zombie. Ask him why he didn't warn the villagers. Tell him we found the zombie while exploring the temple. (We were curious about what was in the basement. We were curious about what was in those trapdoors because they looked like prison cells and we couldn't understand their purpose.) Tell him we understand the need to perform experiments, however that's no reason to keep his fellow villagers in the dark. If they knew, they could have better defended themselves. Also ask him how did he manage to capture it without it killing him?
4. Prepare to venture into the forest. (Preparations will depend on the results of the previous actions (if we get to complete them without problems) , so that is why I left it vague. It is a way to state my long term intentions, not a proposal to go into the forest right now.)
+1 to this.
+1
I guess this doesn't have much of a problem.
+1
Even so, he IS withholding information and acting strangely. If there is something wrong, we should know about it. If he has some kind of a problem, we should know about it so we can maybe help him. We're not shaking him down, we're not extorting him. We're asking because we care and are concerned both about his safety and the safety of the villagers.

And I think studying that thing before killing it is more beneficial.

You stretch, rubbing your head as you walk away from the resting patients. Dismissing your See Vitality spell, you return to the fireside armchair to think about what you've learned. You know Eko knew about nearby zombies before the attacks, but said nothing. You're pretty sure he's a Wizard and not a Necromancer, but it's still strange behavior. You know Eko has been concealing a zombie in the basement of an Order Temple, though how he got it down there is a mystery. You know (or at least guess) that he's been experimenting on that zombie. You know... he's been drinking a lot?

Curious, you walk back to Eko's room. Snatching up the flask from the bedstand, you pop the lid off and carefully smell the contents. You are rewarded with the scent of pungent, bitter beer; Sewer Brew, if you had to guess. Not a popular beverage among the elves, but it was the drink of choice for many human Caravan guards since it was nearly as inexpensive as it was intoxicating. Maybe Eko is like Pevo, mixing his Mana potions with alcohol, but you don't really want to test that theory directly. Besides, you saw him drinking from a flask like this just this morning, not long after breakfast.

You've more than half a mind to investigate the forest further, but Eko is definitely keeping secrets. He might be able to provide more information if you confront him about it, and whether it's about the zombies or the forest, more information is a good thing. You resolve to do just that... after you find Omo. You don't think things will get violent, but prudence never hurt anyone.

Setting the flask down, you grab your cloak and check your headband before hitting the streets of Bedscaled. You pause a moment on the temple steps as a brisk wind grabs at your cloak; a much stronger gust than the breezes you knew in Yicelafo. The Sun is bright in the sky, sinking toward evening, and the cloudless sky promises a starry night.

You peer up and down the street, gathering your cloak and trying to deduce which way Omo might have gone. There really aren't many places of interest in the village itself: a blacksmith works his forge not too far away, another house advertises a carpenter's workshop around back, and a broad side street leads to the village well. No inns, no taverns, no places of song or dance or drink. It's the sort of pastoral scene that would have fit in Yicelafo with a few cosmetic changes, and not the sort of place Omo would seek out. On a hunch, you walk down the road to the East, where the villagers have been digging a defensive ditch.

Up close, the ditch is quite impressive, as deep and wide as the shovels used to dig it. The bottom is quite muddy, a morass no attacker could easily escape. The dirt has been piled on the inside, forming a packed earthen wall to further slow invaders. The only break in the defense is the road leading east; a few heavy wagons stand ready to block the path, with extra barrels and bags of dirt to give the barricade extra weight. You can see that the ditch does not yet fully protect the village. Though the Northern end bends out of sight around the village, you can still see the Southern end of the ditch just short of making it's own Westward bend. You can also see the reason the South end of the project is not so far along as the North end.

"There we were, just outside the dark, haunted forest," you hear Omo say as you approach his end of the ditch. Omo gestures expansively to his audience, half a dozen burly villagers leaning on their shovels. Another group of villagers continues the work of digging, but you can tell from their slow pace and turned heads that they're spending more time listening to Omo than they are working.

"So I cracked him in the head with my staff, of course! I couldn't let a moldy old zombie stand between me and the children. But that's when I realized-" Omo cuts off in surprise when he sees you wave. Making hasty goodbyes and ignoring calls to finish his story, Omo walks over to join you.

"Do you really think you should be distracting the ditch-diggers with your tales?" You ask dryly.
"What?" Omo asks innocently. "I'm keeping spirits up! We're practically heroes here; well, I am, anyway. I have to leave out most of the bits you did. They do think you're brave for coming with me, and the part where we flee the forest monster with the kids on our backs is a crowd pleaser."
"Is it? How many people have you told this story?"
"Oh, I don't know. Everyone who asks, which is everyone I talk to for more than a minute. I can see why bards spend all their time telling stories; it's fun! And it's not like there's much else to do in this town. Did you finish your book?"
"I read what I wanted to." You reply curtly, kicking at a clod of dirt. "And now you and I are going to ask Eko some pointed questions about the you-know-what."
"The what? Oh!" Omo throws up his hands at your level stare. "What? That's nothing I want to dwell on. Are you sure confronting Eko is wise?"
"I'm sure it's the fastest way to get some solid information. I'm tired of guesswork. As soon as he gets back, we ask him."
"Well, you won't have to wait long." Omo points down the road. "Looks like Eko's back."

Squinting, you can make out a robed figure making its way toward the village in the distance. Soon enough, you clearly recognize Eko Cleanvise walking with shoulders slumped and head down. He straightens up as he nears the village, running a hand over his balding head and settling authority over his shoulders like a cloak. He nods to the ditch-diggers, who ignore him as he walks by. You and Omo fall in on either side of him as you walk back toward the Temple.

"So... the wards all good?" You ask, fumbling for a way to broach the zombie in the basement.
"Yes, yes, no problems there. The village should have some warning if any zombies come this way." Eko replies absently.
"Great, great. Uh..."
"Speaking of zombies, we found the one you've got tied up in the basement." Omo interjects.
Eko stumbles, biting back an oath as he anxiously looks to see if anyone is nearby. You have the road to yourselves, but Eko grabs each of you by the arm and pulls you in closer. "I'm sorry, what?" Eko speaks quickly, and nervously. "I don't know what you're talking about."
"You really want us to believe you don't know everything that goes on in your own Temple? Besides, we found your notes. Don't worry, we're not going to tell your secret to anybody."
"Though maybe you should have told the villagers before the zombie attacks." Omo says darkly. "Maybe you wouldn't have two orphans to care for in your Temple."
"I couldn't have known there was an attack coming!" Eko protests, frantically waving his arms. "I cast my divinations, and there wasn't another zombie around for miles! I thought it was just a straggler from the fight to the North. I did nothing wrong!" Eko begins fumbling his flask from beneath his robes, then pauses, his eyes narrowing suspiciously. "Wait... how did you know I found that zombie before the attacks?"

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Omo Thunderjaw (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Notable Figures (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Planned Experiments (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Maps (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Author's Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 10:55:58 am by monk12 »

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: June 11, 2013, 10:59:04 am »

Eko begins fumbling his flask from beneath his robes, then pauses, his eyes narrowing suspiciously. "Wait... how did you know I found that zombie before the attacks?"

Er... how did we know he found the zombie before the attacks? Did we just assume or what?
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: June 11, 2013, 11:11:22 am »

Eko begins fumbling his flask from beneath his robes, then pauses, his eyes narrowing suspiciously. "Wait... how did you know I found that zombie before the attacks?"

Er... how did we know he found the zombie before the attacks? Did we just assume or what?

You probed the zombie's mind with Necromancy (Command Undead, specifically) in the last update (all links in the OP, if you need to refresh yourself on what exactly you learned.)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: June 11, 2013, 11:19:44 am »

A few reasons:

• The list was somewhat extensive and completely crossed out, which means that he had it for some time and it makes sense for him to have captured it before the attacks given the timeframe and length of the list, not to mention he would have been too busy with the attacks and recent stuff to experiment on it
  • It looked (and smelled) like it had been there awhile
  • The villagers would have been very paranoid about undead around the time of the attacks so sneaking one in before an attack would have been a lot easier
  • If we need to bullshit our way through: Our superior elven senses picked up something funky coming from downstairs

Still, press for information, he might know some interesting things. And make sure to get across that we have no intention of selling him out since it would be kinda heartless and cold of us to do so, when he does seem to be only trying to help others however he can against something he doesn't understand all that well.

Also: Take a mental note to scold Omo for almost blowing our cover and exposing us as a necromancer. People are not generally as understanding as he is, and while we appreciate his support and understand where he's coming from where it involves the children, it's dangerous for us as it is without him relying overly much on information coming from our powers.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 11:24:14 am by Zako »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1659 on: June 11, 2013, 02:22:57 pm »

A few reasons:

• The list was somewhat extensive and completely crossed out, which means that he had it for some time and it makes sense for him to have captured it before the attacks given the timeframe and length of the list, not to mention he would have been too busy with the attacks and recent stuff to experiment on it
  • It looked (and smelled) like it had been there awhile
  • The villagers would have been very paranoid about undead around the time of the attacks so sneaking one in before an attack would have been a lot easier
  • If we need to bullshit our way through: Our superior elven senses picked up something funky coming from downstairs

Still, press for information, he might know some interesting things. And make sure to get across that we have no intention of selling him out since it would be kinda heartless and cold of us to do so, when he does seem to be only trying to help others however he can against something he doesn't understand all that well.
+1 I don't think anyone outside the Veil really knows what the elves are capable of. Sure, they may have heard or read things, but nobody really knows. We can dismiss some of our necromantic powers as Life magic. Like, we are someone who learned some basics about life magic and then decided to run away from home for one reason or another (not really lying if you think about it, just omitting details). And since zombies have vitality, Life powers would work on them.

Edit: Also, add to the above excuses that we never saw or sensed him in the basement during our stay there.
Also: Take a mental note to scold Omo for almost blowing our cover and exposing us as a necromancer. People are not generally as understanding as he is, and while we appreciate his support and understand where he's coming from where it involves the children, it's dangerous for us as it is without him relying overly much on information coming from our powers.
Yeah, it's clearly all Omo's fault. It's not like our (read: mine) suggestion had that in and everybody failed to notice it. ;) Nope, not our fault at all.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 03:12:19 pm by Parisbre56 »

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: June 11, 2013, 03:37:28 pm »

I'm up for telling him as an Elf, we know Minor Life Magic; and therefore could sense the Undead Presence under his basement

It wouldn't be too far off base, considering most Elves should know how to sense vitality, and Life mages can sense Undead with the right methods.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: June 11, 2013, 05:02:36 pm »

I like Javierpwn's idea. We found the zombie using elven Life Magic. We can tell how long it's been there based on the age of its injuries from straining against the shackles. Go on to explain that we (Nym) are studying the undead and how to defeat them. Omo can explain his presence however he wants. And then we start with questions.

What did we want to ask him, again...?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: June 11, 2013, 07:35:44 pm »

I would rather not tell them that we can use life magic, they may want us to use more of it, it is not as though life magic couldn't help the village... These people likely know little about elves,and Omo is an experienced tracker, and corpses are not exactly polite, so finding noticing it by mundane means is likely to be a convincing lie. Also, it is likely to be more convincing to be less specific about how we know how long it has been here, just saying something along the lines of "It has obviously been there for a long time." although a proud extolling of the deductive reasoning that you used might fit our character a bit more...

I think that we have scolded Omo enough. They should know by now that we don't approve, and we hardly want to start being tyrannical... Otherwise I agree with Zako's plan.

P.S.
 Yay! Update!!!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: June 11, 2013, 08:04:14 pm »

But See Vitality is a basic Life(And Necromancery) Magic spell; which almost every single Elf should know. Consdiered to be one of the most basic of all Life Magic spells.

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: June 11, 2013, 08:21:04 pm »

We could just tell him we were bluffing, and thank him for confirming our guess.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 155