Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 656769 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-35 Insect Examination
« Reply #2220 on: January 02, 2016, 09:16:51 pm »

No, it SHOULD have blocked US.  Do we REALLY want to risk it?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: January 02, 2016, 11:33:36 pm »

I still think it's likely that help can be found at the tree deeper in the forest. We should conserve our mana for now, and take everyone down there once we're ready to travel. Something intelligent is down there, and if it's as in control of the golem we defeated as it appears to be, it probably has the knowledge to help us heal Omo without us having to accept some Faustian bargain in the process.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: January 03, 2016, 12:09:52 am »

yes it should ave blocked us...by blocking our magic and keeping us from getting through if I'm remembering how these things work right.

we have already established there is no effect on us. and I have a theory why.

we are an elf. elves tend to have a lot of life magic in them. if the sanctuary is trying to detect and block death magic the life energy may be masking it. as far as we know we are the first elf necromancer, so there is no telling what odd ways our life energy could be interacting with our death energy.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2223 on: January 03, 2016, 05:20:02 am »

How heavy is the golem? I understand it's made of metal, but is it some light, hollow metal we could potentially carry?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-27
« Reply #2224 on: January 03, 2016, 08:05:18 pm »

How heavy is the golem? I understand it's made of metal, but is it some light, hollow metal we could potentially carry?

Its body appears to be cast out of ancient bronze, dented and tarnished. It's legs are made of the same stuff, but have suffered even more abuse, and the "feet" of the construct are covered in muck. The places where the legs join the body are concealed by strips of leather; when the legs move (an awkwardly violent up and down motion) flashes of purple light illuminate the ground as the leather shifts. The construct as a whole is plain-looking and unadorned, rather like a metallic water tub had decided to go for a walk in the woods.
Eko bites his lip anxiously. "What do we do now then? Our camp is not too far away, but I don't think we can carry this hulk of metal that far."

The legs are solid, and though the body is hollow it is solidly constructed; while you and Eko may be able to heave it between the two of you, carrying it long distances yourselves would not be practical. The construct is unable to propel itself due to damage to two of its legs, a rear leg impaired by your Necromancy and a middle leg on the same side severed by Eko's spear.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: January 03, 2016, 08:06:11 pm »

Can we try to clean or repair it?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: January 03, 2016, 08:11:31 pm »

I invite you to explore the various methods available to you, as well as their potential consequences, and to weigh those conclusions against your other possible actions.

Or to quote my second grade teacher, "I don't know, can you?" :P

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: January 03, 2016, 08:13:04 pm »

I don't personally know all that much about the construct to make those determinations.  Is it actually functioning?  Or just...There?  Or was the damage what made it cease functioning?
Sigtext

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: January 03, 2016, 08:46:04 pm »

stick it on a sled, man
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: January 04, 2016, 12:41:01 am »

If we focus on the legs we should be able to restore motion without meddling with its containment devices, and we would be cautious, obviously.

If I recall correctly we won a battle for it and it is ours now, though how secure that is I wouldn't know...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: January 06, 2016, 03:54:03 pm »

I think you guys might be missing something important: We're out here with Eko.  Whatever our plan is, we need to convince him to follow along with it.  Trying to fix the golem and control it with necromancy.. probably wouldn't work too well.

Same problem with dragging Omo to the tree.  I support that plan, but I don't know if we could convince Eko that it's a good idea to drag a comatose victim of the curse straight to the source of said curse.  We might be able to say "I think I might be able to restore Omo, but I'm not confident about it.  We should head towards the source of the curse, because maybe there's something there I can examine to figure this out."  That seems like very flimsy reasoning from Eko's PoV, though.

As to transporting the golem... couldn't we take the legs off to make transport easier?  Eko already severed a leg.

ydeve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: January 06, 2016, 10:03:18 pm »

I do not support taking Omo to the tree. The tree is Mr M's Priest's lair. We've decided we don't want his help at the price of joining M. He doesn't seem to be on our side.
Even worse, if we take Eko and Omo to the necromancer's lair, Eko will think we've betrayed him and are delivering him to the necromancer. Bad idea.

I think we really need to find out if it's possible to experiment with soul transplants before trying it on Omo. Insects don't have souls, but maybe larger animals, dogs and such, might?

Repairing the construct should probably be safe and within our ability to do, but if we're going to do that, we need to tell Eko what we are first. From our actions, it's clear we care about Omo and want to defeat the necromancer, so hopefully Eko will believe us. But it's better to be honest with him than to do something stupid and have him discover we're a necromancer w/o us telling him first. If we tell Eko and repair the construct, we could take Omo somewhere else and maybe find some larger mammal to try soul transplantation on.

Have we ever asked Eko about souls? He wouldn't be able to help with the necromancy, but he might know if animals have them.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 10:06:22 pm by ydeve »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: January 07, 2016, 12:59:00 am »

We are pretty sure from our own efforts that insects do not possess a soul that is in any way similar to what civilised species possess. Of ?course, it may turn out that insects possess vastly superior souls, and the insect is a pure example of a spirit manifesting a physical construct in violation of physical nature. Maybe we can tap into insect souls and become the greatest soul-based necromancer of all time. But at present, we have checked and found nothing...

We do not know that the curse if Fale. We suspect that the curse is, like, a thousand years old or something, which matches Fale's account. We suspect that the curse invited us, which matches Fale.
What doesn't match is that the curse and Fale both seem to want to meet with us but are not revealing their connection. Could Fale not know that we are the necromancer that meddled with its construct? Is there good reason to believe that we could meet in person and not deduce that it is Fale? I am just not sure why it would not revel itself if it is the same being...

Whether it is Fale or not, one would assume that the Curse is bored, lonely, and wants to be freed. I am not certain that we are okay with releasing the souls-sucking immortal onto the world, but we could probably justify giving it some sort of scrying device to keep up with events in the capital or similar. Maybe it could even give lectures on magic by proxy in one of the less strict institutions...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

ydeve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: January 07, 2016, 12:43:20 pm »

The curse and Fale did reveal their connection, either that or one is trying to masquerade as the other, but that strikes me as unlikely. When the curse found us trying to control the construct, he/she left a "note" with an image of a hollow tree on it. Then, the next night, when we dreamed Fale brought us to the hollow oak (remember the note) and talked to us.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-35
« Reply #2234 on: January 08, 2016, 02:42:59 pm »

Follow your vision, trek to the depths of the curse and commune with its source.
Inform Eko that your priority is to help people, not to end the curse, and that you are willing to let it be, or even aid it if you see no direct harm in doing so, if it means saving Omo.
Try to have the construct carry Omo.
If Eko comments on your odd behaviour, just say that you would rather not discuss it.
I think you guys might be missing something important: We're out here with Eko.  Whatever our plan is, we need to convince him to follow along with it.  Trying to fix the golem and control it with necromancy.. probably wouldn't work too well.

Same problem with dragging Omo to the tree.  I support that plan, but I don't know if we could convince Eko that it's a good idea to drag a comatose victim of the curse straight to the source of said curse.  We might be able to say "I think I might be able to restore Omo, but I'm not confident about it.  We should head towards the source of the curse, because maybe there's something there I can examine to figure this out."  That seems like very flimsy reasoning from Eko's PoV, though.

As to transporting the golem... couldn't we take the legs off to make transport easier?  Eko already severed a leg.
I do not support taking Omo to the tree. The tree is Mr M's Priest's lair. We've decided we don't want his help at the price of joining M. He doesn't seem to be on our side.
Even worse, if we take Eko and Omo to the necromancer's lair, Eko will think we've betrayed him and are delivering him to the necromancer. Bad idea.

I think we really need to find out if it's possible to experiment with soul transplants before trying it on Omo. Insects don't have souls, but maybe larger animals, dogs and such, might?

Repairing the construct should probably be safe and within our ability to do, but if we're going to do that, we need to tell Eko what we are first. From our actions, it's clear we care about Omo and want to defeat the necromancer, so hopefully Eko will believe us. But it's better to be honest with him than to do something stupid and have him discover we're a necromancer w/o us telling him first. If we tell Eko and repair the construct, we could take Omo somewhere else and maybe find some larger mammal to try soul transplantation on.

Have we ever asked Eko about souls? He wouldn't be able to help with the necromancy, but he might know if animals have them.

"What do we do next, Nym?"
   "I can't..." You shake your head, avoiding Eko's eyes. "I need to consider my options."

You abruptly stand up and walk away from the campfire. You can feel Eko's eyes following you to the construct, still idly slumped on the ground where you captured it. A brief examination tells you that, while you don't think the severed leg is easily repairable, you can probably undo the damage you did to the other leg with Impair Undead using Alter Golem to restore the connections and the other legs as a guide. This would allow the construct to walk under its own power if you use Command Undead, which is good because you don't see another way you could move the golem itself.

Of course, you'd have to find a way to explain all this to Eko. ... You sense that Eko is under a lot of stress right now. You feel that he had pinned his hopes on this disastrous expedition, and that now might not be the best time to surprise him with unsavory revelations.

You also consider simply leaving the golem here, but you are not sure if finding the source of the Curse of Aloclesno will help Omo if the golem holding his soul is not also with you. You could leave both Omo and the golem behind and try to enlist the aid of the curse on your own, but you would likely have to leave Eko behind as well to guard them. Alternately, you could follow through on your plan to do some soul transplant experiments by tracking down a larger animal; Omo said there were deer in this forest, and there are certainly birds flitting about. Of course, you're not sure if you could catch a bird by yourself, or even find a deer; Omo was the hunter, not you. Still, it's a possibility.

Those are your options, as you see it. Now to choose one, and to figure out what you'll tell Eko.

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Your Spells (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Omo Thunderjaw (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Eko Cleanvise (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Eko's Spells (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Notable Figures (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Maps (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 155