Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: DF gone mainstream: Good or Bad?  (Read 3358 times)

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF gone mainstream: Good or Bad?
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2008, 10:38:00 pm »

Is more money for Toady a bad thing now? Indiefags are so annoying.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2008, 07:58:00 am »

I am fairly sure Toady has said numerous times that he would never allow anybody else to interfere with this game, no matter what they offer him.

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2008, 10:29:00 am »

Exactly, you might as well be discussing the the pros and cons of nerve stapling. We can't do that stuff yet and when we can we'll just nerve staple anyone who doesn't like it.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2008, 10:54:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by subject name here:
<STRONG>Is more money for Toady a bad thing now? Indiefags are so annoying.</STRONG>

More money for Toady = Great

Any outside interference that comes with the money would however be terrible

Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2008, 09:29:00 pm »

quote:
Bay 12 is dedicated to providing original games free of charge, but that doesn't mean it is free for us to make them. If you've enjoyed any of our games, and you are able to give, we accept donations.

There's your answer to DF selling out. If DF sells out, it's because Bay 12 sells out. If Bay 12 sells out, it's because Toady One got tired of living on scrap for money. I think I saw somewhere that he shoots for 2000$ a month? Can't be sure about that, 2000$ a month equals about 12$ an hour. Doing CAD(computer aided drafting) work at an entry level where I'm from starts at 15$ an hour. Someone with the programming skills that Toady One clearly has could probably find work on par with 18$ an hour or more. That's closer to 3000$ a month.
I don't know his situation, but if he is supporting more then himself he's a god when it comes to managing his money. I'm good at it and still can't support more then my wife and myself on a basic level at 2000$ a month. I don't see him getting 2000 a month though. That requires 40 people donating 50$ each month.

When you look at these bleak numbers, perhaps you can see why people sell out.
If someone came up to Toady One and said "In exchange for your company, I will ensure you can always support yourself and your family forever" do you think he shouldn't take it because it would "ruin your game!!!one!1!!"
No!

If Toady One gets a chance to sell out and he takes it, good on him! If he doesn't, as long as it was what he wanted, Good on him again! 1 Million dollars equals 40 years of meeting a donation quota of 2000$ a month. Toady One has done what he has done in what, three years? what could he do with forty? 1 Million dollars could launch Bay 13, with a dedicated team of programmers fulfilling his every wish. Maybe a bay 14 and 15 too! In fact, a whole continent of bays at his every beck and call. Every person has a price at which they will sell something they worked hard for. The price might contain such intangible things as an honorable reputation of the buyer, but the price exists regardless. You just have to trust those you admire to know to get the value out of what is offered, and I think anything short of total and permanent financial independence for Toady One and his brother would be too low, but that's my opinion, and not their reality.

Want to ensure that Dwarf Fortress never sells out? A constant state of high donations would do that for sure, because it removes the value from financial independence! Do you have extra cash you know you'll just blow on fast food? Cut out the fast food for the month and donate it to the guy who is making the game you like instead.

And Toady One will eventually call the game done. Don't count on it being forever in development. He has his power-goals and reqs, and with the core when they are all complete then the game is complete.

Here's Toady One on that issue:

quote:
Core elements form the skeleton of the game and are created as development reaches the corresponding Arcs. Reqs are smaller important elements that are needed for the game to be considered complete. Bloats are elements that are not necessary but which might be added nonetheless. A Power Goal is a scenario which we'd like to arise during play. Particular characters and locations within the description will not be added -- they are considered complete when the given scenario is possible in spirit.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2008, 08:08:00 am »

Actually, Toady would be way better off with tons of people donating a small sum every month.

So would the people donating to him :P

Large lump sums are hardly a solution.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]