Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Real-Life Cotton Candy  (Read 9593 times)

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Real-Life Cotton Candy
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 05:23:35 pm »

Well I know what I'm bringing with me if I'm ever locked in a deadly space battle with aliens.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 05:28:35 pm »

Well I know what I'm bringing with me if I'm ever locked in a deadly space battle with aliens.

Peanuts.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 06:10:50 pm »

Hell yes.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 08:36:37 pm »

Interesting, if this is indeed true. However, I have some skepticism about it's actual strength.

It's as strong as metal, they say, but what kind of metal? Is there some sort of comparison? Is it comparable to high quality steel? Copper? Sodium? They also tried to claim that spiderwebs were stronger than steel, but that's hardly the whole truth, and very misleading.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 09:24:01 pm »

Does this mean we can have full-scale bumper cars? Hell yes.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2011, 09:53:58 pm »

And how long until the US army weaponizes that? Strap some missiles onto it, stat.
Probably the army developed it and weaponized it 2 years ago.
And I bet it still took them longer to weaponize it than DF players would take.
Hey, I'm a DF player...I wonder if DARPA is hiring...

Peanuts.
Hell yes.
Are you kidding? If I'm going to attack somethiung with my nuts, I'd us...wait, that doesn't sound right...
Look, brazil nuts or, ideally, coconuts would be much better. Ideally ideally, steel spikes.

Interesting, if this is indeed true. However, I have some skepticism about it's actual strength.

It's as strong as metal, they say, but what kind of metal? Is there some sort of comparison? Is it comparable to high quality steel? Copper? Sodium? They also tried to claim that spiderwebs were stronger than steel, but that's hardly the whole truth, and very misleading.
Spider silk can hold more than steel of the same cross-section. That's how I understand it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2011, 10:03:03 pm »

And how long until the US army weaponizes that? Strap some missiles onto it, stat.
Probably the army developed it and weaponized it 2 years ago.
I always think this. Whenever some new technology or scientific advance is made, I can't help but wonder what the military has been doing with it before it was publicly announced. Maybe that's just the natural cynical bastard in me. Or is it true? CONSPIRACIES! YOU'RE ALL OUT TO GET ME.

CRAP! HE FOUND OUT!

That's pretty much true, actually. By the time it gets publicly announced, they've already put it through the paces are are probably field testing it.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2011, 12:09:47 pm »

If something's hitting your spaceship, you're probably already screwed. A peanut in Earth's orbit can hit a space station with the equivalent force of a 50. Bullet  :o

Interestingly, because throughout the history of manned space exploration waste management (human waste that is) has largely consisted of dumping it overboard (or however we are supposed to refer to it on a spaceship), the most common thing you're likely to be hit by in low Earth orbit is shit travel in excess of 30,000 miles an hour. Frozen solid into something much like extremely unhygienic steel. This actually causes damage in the millions each year to satellites.
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2011, 02:18:30 pm »

Interestingly, because throughout the history of manned space exploration waste management (human waste that is) has largely consisted of dumping it overboard (or however we are supposed to refer to it on a spaceship), the most common thing you're likely to be hit by in low Earth orbit is shit travel in excess of 30,000 miles an hour. Frozen solid into something much like extremely unhygienic steel. This actually causes damage in the millions each year to satellites.

Would cause, actually.  NASA tracks some 22,000 objects 10cm and larger as to avoid collisions with Stuff We Can Move Still (i.e. operational satellites) that would produce even more debris.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2011, 02:53:36 pm »

If something's hitting your spaceship, you're probably already screwed. A peanut in Earth's orbit can hit a space station with the equivalent force of a 50. Bullet  :o

Yeah, the international space station has had quite a few close calls, and has nearly had to evacuate many times. Commercial satellites on the other hand.... Beooooooooooowww *Boom*

I think a comparison with pottasium (soft metal), copper (the compromise) and iron (hard metal) would be nicer. Just 'cus metals like steel are peculiar alloys, and that makes things rather confuzzling when people start pouting atom ratios.
Also, they didn't claim spiderwebs are stronger than steel, they said spidersilk was. And they're right. Gram for gram, spider silk is stronger than steel (except maybe a carbon heavy steel alloy, I don't know then).
Me being helpful :3

1 kilograms of rocks = 1 kilograms of feathers

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2011, 03:18:35 pm »

Clearly we need space janitors.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2011, 03:19:37 pm »

Hehehe, people always forget that. There was a thread a while back on RL metal strength and there was a great picture of a steel sword and a titanium one of the same strength side by side. Needless to say, the titanium one was almost ludicrously bigger. 
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2011, 03:32:48 pm »

Hehehe, people always forget that. There was a thread a while back on RL metal strength and there was a great picture of a steel sword and a titanium one of the same strength side by side. Needless to say, the titanium one was almost ludicrously bigger.

Wow, I just found THIS.

It seems like now we also have cotton candy thread, as well as wafers :D
Quote from: Cotton candy scientist
"sustainable spider silk for commercial use worldwide."

Have I heard that right?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2011, 03:45:02 pm »

Quote from: Loud Whispers

Same mass, not same weight.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2011, 04:14:04 pm »

Quote from: Loud Whispers
Same mass, not same weight.
What?
EDIT: "Weight is the product of the mass m of the object and the magnitude of the local gravitational acceleration" - from wikipedia
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9