Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Online DRM is BadŽ  (Read 5610 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Online DRM is BadŽ
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2011, 05:24:10 am »

Yarr.

*Ahem*

What might be interesting to note for those here is that, in a beautiful twist of irony, there are records of game companies using warez cracks to patch games when their own DRM breaks them.

Company: Ubisoft
Game: Rainbow 6: Vegas 2
Source: http://torrentfreak.com/ubisofts-no-cd-answer-to-drm-080718/

Company: Rockstar
Game: Max Payne 2
Source: http://torrentfreak.com/did-rockstar-use-pirate-game-code-for-max-payne-2-on-steam-100512/

On the topic of Valve, interestingly enough the managing director stated in an interview with Kotaku that his company does not see aggressive DRM as a valid method of protecting their business.
Source: http://torrentfreak.com/valve-drm-is-backwards-and-piracy-is-just-not-an-issue-for-us-110830/

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2011, 05:28:21 am »

Well, of course he doesn't! He's already got that huge ocean of cash to swim in.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2011, 05:30:28 am »

More to the point, you can simply yank your cord, force shutdown steam, start it up in offline mode, and have no problems.
Whenever I do that Steam complains about having no connection anyway. *rolleyes*

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2011, 08:01:04 am »

Also simple DRM wouldn't hurt, hilarious ones are even better

Yeah! What happened to the good old days of almost fun DRMs? I want a pirate to roll up to me on a landship in Skyrim and ask me trivia questions!

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2011, 08:29:34 am »

Yeah! What happened to the good old days of almost fun DRMs? I want a pirate to roll up to me on a landship in Skyrim and ask me trivia questions!

They still use that sometimes, look up GTA 4, Arma 2, and Earthbound.  The Earthbound one sounds particularly nasty.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2011, 09:19:52 am »

Hilarious DRM in GTA 4? I must know more.

I remember when I found copy of Civilization 1 a while ago and after few turns the game doubted if I really was a rightful ruler and asked a question and the answer was hidden in the manual. Good thing the manual was included and in good condition.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2011, 09:52:02 am »

Hilarious DRM in GTA 4? I must know more.

I remember when I found copy of Civilization 1 a while ago and after few turns the game doubted if I really was a rightful ruler and asked a question and the answer was hidden in the manual. Good thing the manual was included and in good condition.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8B_NBpJlfY

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2011, 10:04:52 am »

... where does one go about finding the exe files for their steam games? They're well hidden.

program files/steam/steamapps/common

Or

program files/steam/steamapps/(steam username)

add an x86 to that program files if you're on 64-bit.

They're not well-hidden at all. Pretty much everyone who's used to steam knows their exact location.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2011, 11:27:35 am »

This game had one of the best ones.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2011, 03:28:11 pm »

This game had one of the best ones.
I recall Starcon 2 had an interesting one that serves the memory well. Essentially, you had to memorize the starmap, and luck out with the right coordinates that appear. Sometimes the RNG is a dick, and tosses you a really obscure system to call out.

We used to have a xerox copy of the map stitched together, until it was lost, and I only remembered just a handful of constellations according to region. Helped in the long run when playing the actual game.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2011, 03:31:14 pm »

... where does one go about finding the exe files for their steam games? They're well hidden.

Or

They're not well-hidden at all. Pretty much everyone who's used to steam knows their exact location.
They're not even supposed to be hidden in the first place.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2011, 03:32:34 pm »

Yeah, believe it or not, Steam's first priority isn't to fuck your shit. It's to give you a good experience so you buy shit during their sales.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2011, 06:51:30 pm »

Or

Gr, sonic generations doesn't have an exe for some reason. I guess that means I have to reinstall. Thanks, steam. There goes like fifteen hours of progress.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2011, 06:55:35 pm »

Not a .exe? Then how the hell does windows know how to run it?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2011, 07:25:21 pm »

CTRL+SHIFT+ESC during gameplay to open task manager and look for the sonic generations EXE. When you find it, right click it and click "go to file location".
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6