Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Online DRM is BadŽ  (Read 5401 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Online DRM is BadŽ
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2011, 07:41:27 pm »

Gr, sonic generations doesn't have an exe for some reason. I guess that means I have to reinstall. Thanks, steam. There goes like fifteen hours of progress.

Yeah, that's definitely an error, it should be right in the main folder.  I would think forcing an update or something would download it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2011, 07:42:12 pm »

Steam doesn't use exes for most of its games. It runs them through steam itself, using the files it downloads.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2011, 07:48:35 pm »

Steam doesn't use exes for most of its games. It runs them through steam itself, using the files it downloads.

No, nearly every game has an EXE, you just have to look a bit harder.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2011, 07:51:23 pm »

You don't even need to look hard. What is this shit about no EXEs? Seriously? People believe that?

Just because it runs the EXEs through a wrapper doesn't mean it's a fake or someshit.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2011, 07:55:06 pm »

For example:

TF2's exe is at

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\steamusername\team fortress 2

Fallout New Vegas's:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas

Civilization 4:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv

Civilization V:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v

Unreal Tournament 3:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\unreal tournament 3\Binaries

Alien Swarm:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\alien swarm

I could go on. EVERY GAME has EXEs.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2011, 07:58:03 pm »

TF2's exe.

"Launcher Error

Failed to load the launcher DLL:

The specified module could not be found."

I was unable to check the others, because I dont have them.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2011, 07:58:19 pm »

Wow.  Yeah, all the .exes for games downloaded through steam can be found in the game's folder, which will be somewhere in the steamapps directory.  They're not the slightest bit hidden.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2011, 08:00:54 pm »

TF2's exe.

"Launcher Error

TF2 is one of those that can only be launched through Steam. I believe the "launcher DLL" it talks about is the Steam one.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2011, 08:04:32 pm »

TF2's exe.

"Launcher Error

That's because TF2 is MADE BY VALVE. Of course they're not going to let you bypass Steam to run the EXE, especially considering that Steam is what makes the online work. However, the EXE not being in the folders is 100% incorrect.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2011, 09:29:18 pm »

Yes, gents, EXEs are everywhere. Note that Source engine games run Hl2.exe, not a uniquely named EXE. So there is no TF2.exe, but there is an EXE to run TF2, not that you can use it without steam anyway.

I've always been of the slight suspicion that appdata was conceived entirely to confuse people trying to find particular program files, but I am of the stronger suspicion that I don't know what it's for because I just haven't done the research. At any rate game files in Appdata are a bitch to find and navigate to, I create desktop shortcuts to filepaths of games I'm modding under appdata.

I should also say that having to have Steam on to run TF2 isn't exactly oppressive, since the entire game is built around steam and it depends on files from steam to run (for example, your inventory is saved online as part of your steam account, not locally).

Gr, sonic generations doesn't have an exe for some reason. I guess that means I have to reinstall. Thanks, steam. There goes like fifteen hours of progress.
You know, if you're reinstalling, surely you could find the save files themselves and copy them?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2011, 09:39:52 pm »

Hint for appdata: just typing %appdata% into windows explorer's bar will take you straight there.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2011, 11:27:38 am »

Update:

EA Origin bans people from games, sometimes even in single player, for actions on forums.

EA remains tight lipped, cop-out excuses.

Sensei remains bitter and biased, glad he didn't get any origin games.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2011, 11:55:16 am »

The only time I get message is when my connection is being wonky. I don't have any trouble playing games in offline mode, except for the ones that are multiplayer only (for obvious reasons). Or when a game is updating.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2011, 12:07:04 pm »

I've been using steam for over a year now and it seems that a lot of the bad press it gets is from the fact that they had a rough point before I started using it and people don't seem to trust them anymore. I'm still not a fan of DRM. I don't think anyone's really a fan of it, but pirating has become so rampant that the companies make more money by pissing off their customers than having their product stolen thousands of times a day. But that's another argument entirely, I'm just wondering whether or not anyone can explain what exactly the problem used to be with steam. I trust it completely right now and feel that whatever problems they had in the past have been solved, but I'd like to be informed.

Or, y'know, maybe I'm just crazy and they never had problems but people hate it for a different reason. As a side note I've had nothing but trouble with EA. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3 (both on xbox 360) have given my friends and I nothing but trouble. Battlefield 3 is better in that it doesn't exclude us from online play for up to a week due to various errors that EA can't help with when you call them, but the online service is still wonky and random kicks, server troubles, and the inability to join a game are still common problems for me. Never really touched the online features on their other games.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2011, 12:27:25 pm »

The only problem I ever had with Steam was that, if I was in online mode on the most recent login (but didn't have Steam open currently), lost connection and attempted to connect in offline mode without connection, I wouldn't be able to, locking me out of games. They fixed that though.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6