Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: AGEOD's The American Civil War  (Read 11313 times)

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
AGEOD's The American Civil War
« on: November 23, 2011, 08:56:58 am »

The American Civil War (AGEOD style)

Preface

We are fighting the American Civil War.

In this war approximately 600,000 Americans were killed, more than any other war America has been in.

We will be doing the Eastern Theatre, so basicly the east coastal states and a few inland.

We will play the UNION.

I have never won this game, it is HARD.

This will be picture heavy.

You can advise, watch or ignore this thread at will ;)

People can chose generals if they want, as the generals in the game effect it in a indirect way (bonus stats for subordinate units) i'll allow people to pick someone in command of an army and decide the overall strategy of the army. Example – Army of the Potomac, advance on Manassas Junction and attempt to engage Confederates. Though this is purely optional.

You can pick any general to be slated as yours, but your command will be limited to what stance you want to place your corps/division in if you dont command an Army. (Passive, defensive, aggressive, assault).
Passive is essentially stand down and reinforce(faster),
defensive is defend and dont engage(with a bonus to defence from entrenchment/defensive stance), normal is attack normally with no bonus or penalty,
assault will result in higher casualties but a more assertive engagement, also it will assault any towns or forts in the province rather than siege.

Things to consider; The game has industrial expansion(of war materials and supplies mostly), recruitment, building replacements, constructing depots for supplies, supply wagons for armies, naval blockade and operations, martial law and other 'loyalty' actions for states, promoting/removing commanders, attrition, 15 day turns, recon/hiding factors due to terrain/skill, railroad construction, destruction and usage(aswell as riverine and naval), and more.

1 star = brigade
2 star = division
3 star = corps+
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 06:05:50 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
Re: AGEOD's The American Civil War
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 09:12:39 am »

I'll take Banks. This sounds like fun.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 09:15:44 am »

Added :D I'll add peoples names on the OP for reference.

elitetaco3519

• Bay Watcher
  • The savior of Orzammar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 11:53:52 am »

i want a part, maybe a corps commander
"...my word is poontang." Full Metal Jacket

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 11:56:39 am »

Posting to follow, and maybe get my name attatched to some daft sod who gets himself shot at a later date.
This is a blank sig.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 03:17:44 pm »

The Beginning!

Replacements we can buy(these will fill depleted units)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ships we can make

Units we can raise(not replacements)[/b]

Industrialisation potentials

Financial options

Our northern armies, right hand one is the army of the Potomac, our main army of the theater and contains 5 army corps + reserves.
The middle is Banks, with 1 Corps approximately.
The left is General Fremont with a few brigades covering our far left flank.

Our southern armies commanded by Ambrose Burnside
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 03:26:42 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 03:24:30 pm »

Actions already taken:

Heavy industrialisation of New York, medium in a few others, heavy cost in 'war materials', but I think it will be ok - may have to scale it back in a turn or two so theres more resources left for military constructions.

War bonds 5% - Money given from true patriots for the cause.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 03:25:48 pm »

Posting to watch.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 03:31:58 pm »

I think one thing to remember about this game, it doesn't stop you making too many troops. Last game I had 60,000 men in washington waiting to be assigned to brigades with leaders and divisions and corps. You can literally spam out troops if you feel like it, but the leadership will be piss poor and theyll be next to useless, we need to make enough troops for our leaders to handle and keep them up to scratch, rather than zerg. Leaders are a rare commodity in this game, you cannot make them you have to wait for them to appear in provinces. This happens more often as the war goes on however.
The only limiting factor is manpower really, and this will hamper recruitment after a few turns of volunteers and drafts, but then you have a glut of troops with no one to command them! Having said this, all new units ill send to washington to stack before they get dispersed to whatever unit needs them.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 03:55:24 pm »

Man, why couldn't you have taken the Grey...oh well. One of my wife's ancestors was a Lieutenant in the 120th New York Infantry (which at this point in the game would be in the Excelsior Brigade, probably under Sickles), and a few of my ancestors were in the 52nd North Carolina Infantry (with Pettigrew's Brigade at this point).

If the Excelsior Brigade is there, I'll take command of that (or whatever corps it's attached to if a brigade is too small to command).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 04:48:03 pm »

Man, why couldn't you have taken the Grey...oh well. One of my wife's ancestors was a Lieutenant in the 120th New York Infantry (which at this point in the game would be in the Excelsior Brigade, probably under Sickles), and a few of my ancestors were in the 52nd North Carolina Infantry (with Pettigrew's Brigade at this point).

If the Excelsior Brigade is there, I'll take command of that (or whatever corps it's attached to if a brigade is too small to command).

I usually do! but this time I thought i'd do the Union.
I will do the CSA after, I always do! :D

Checked up on the 120th, I think it musters in july '62. I checked the game date of our start and its Feb '62. Esssentially this means the chance of the 120th appearing is randomish as I raise new units....
Wait no!.

They are in;
Army of the Potomac > 3rd Corps > 2nd Division under Hooker > Excelsior Brigade. They are classed as sharpshooters giving us greater initiative in battle.

Thats a good division to be in.

'The regiment left the state, 900 strong, Aug. 24, 1862, and proceeded to Washington, where it encamped near the Chain bridge. Early in September it was attached to the famous Excelsior brigade, (Sickles') 2nd division, 3d corps, and was under fire for the first time at Fredericksburg.'

I guess for some reason they put them with Hooker, I cant find Sickles yet I assume hes 'off map'. But then they were attached to Sickles in sept '62. Doesnt matter really :D point is I found them.

Checked the manual.

Daniel Sickles

George B.
McClellan

Ambrose
Burnside

Joseph B.
Hooker

Some of the competition....

Thomas J.
Jackson

Robert E. Lee

*stats = Stratgic/Attack/Defense
Strategic is basicly how well he can move/supply/manoever armies. Commanders of armies will pass some bonuses to subordinates if they have good skills. Or some negatives if not. etc
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 05:23:14 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 07:49:47 pm »

Feb 1862

I'm going to do a turn or two, the goals will basicly be to hold ground everywhere, and advance slowely with the Army of the Potomac into Virginia, while raising new troops and getting more generals.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 03:08:55 pm »

And so it begins.....

News from this turn..

The army of the Potomac advanced to Manassas junction and captured it without battle, a good defensive and offensive position. However the Confederate army in Virginia has moved north towards Winchester and N. P. Banks' force, he doesnt have enough men to to defend against both Jacksons force and the main CSA force.
The Army of the Potomac will have to assist.

Seeing as no one else wants to be McClellan, this is my idea for a plan:

Move the entire army of the Potomac to winchester minus 1 corps in defence with the reserve artillery to hold Manassas. The goal would be to route the CSA and push down to Harpers Ferry taking that too. We cant flank north too long; the road to Washington would be left open to attack, so it will have to be quick.

Any ideas? yay or nay?

*Alternative plan
Float the army down to Fort Monroe and Push up the peninsular straight at richmond that way.

Also, Banks has the entire Confederate army approaching his position, what will he do?

Some choices:
Remember this though, I believe you are outnumbered by Jacksons force, add the rest of the CSA army probably would outnumber you about 6-1 maybe 8-1 together.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 03:12:15 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 03:15:15 pm »

Important note, I checked up the background text for the scenario, its wrong.

Antietam has not happend yet, neither has the peninsular campaign, R. E. Lee isnt yet in charge of the CSA army yet either

I think we should try the peninsular route, float troops over south by sea and attack up the james peninsular. We would have to go defensive in the washington area though.

Map showing the Peninsular plan

It's a risk as it leaves the north open to attack, however it also opens the Confederate capital Richmond for attack so I doubt the Confederates will be able to take the risk of ignoring that. Also We have more men, so We can fairly safely defend Washington in the army of the Potomacs absence.

*Also I added redking to the list, you will command III Corps, Army of the Potomac now(whoever commands it I forget).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 03:20:39 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 03:22:29 pm »

Fall back toward the east if possible, and attempt to bring the main force up on the Rebel flank.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6