✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: 3079
« Reply #166 on: January 09, 2012, 03:15:23 am »

One of the big advantages to the assault rifle and sniper rifle are their fast projectiles... if all weapons had fast projectiles, it would take this element away  :-\ The game isn't just a FPS, but an RPG+FPS -- and the weapons have pros and cons. I also think the game is pretty hard as-is, and dodging bullets is pretty fun
Not fast enough :P. And that's why I called it a Game Option.

I would rather have faster dodging enemies and faster shots. Grenades and rockets (heavy guns) can stay as they are, but shotguns/rifles/sniper rifle IMHO should be closer to "normal" FPS variant for some dynamics. I feel retarded trying to hit a slowly-doding guy with a slow projectile over a short ravine for 5 minutes...

P.S. Regarding items, it would be awesome to have "energy shield" item which you would activate in front (only in front) of you with a key and which would stop bullets/swords (but not explosions) but would drain power quickly.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 03:19:03 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 09, 2012, 05:56:30 am »

I've finally made a version a bit based on DOOM but now of my own textures (a bit of copy-n-paste, many tweaks and a lot of freehand), so now it's okay to publish :).

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?wc0ju2cpei2gcto
Preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87w_rkGL7UI

It's not finished yet, but  I will release new versions soon.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 09, 2012, 06:20:52 am »

But would changing the bullet speed be bad for you when you have a bunch of floating things firing fast bullets at you?
Thank you based dwarf.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 09, 2012, 06:42:32 am »

It's not about being "bad" or "good", it would make the game different.

And if we get shields... yeah! Please give us shields :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 09, 2012, 09:29:15 am »

Sorry guys things went to shit, i got busy! I will see if i got time next friday, actaully i do since everyone but me are out of the house for the whole day!
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

phr00t

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 09, 2012, 09:34:58 am »

After looking at Deon's graphics (which are very cool) -- I do have some suggestions:

1) The lighting needs some work -- I think the GIMP file I posted earlier should help. I can also perfect the lighting myself.
2) There are a couple of grass textures that are the same, when they are meant to have slight deviations (e.g. flowers or dirt spots) -- the textures to the right of the "X" building blocks are the ones I'm talking about.
3) I'm slightly worried about using obvious Doom textures in a commercial game.. copyright infringement and all. Especially the skull and red switch. :-\
4) Another thing about the red switch -- this is suppose to be a health/recharge station... the red switch doesn't really communicate that very well.
5) The Humoids and Neander symbols are awesome -- but I recommend putting a red "N" in the corners, like the blue "H"s in the Humoids symbol.
1) Agreed, it was the PAIN in the ARSE to do it manually, I did not have photoshop at the time so I had to reduce the brightness manually.
2) I just didn't have time to work on these properly, in the future updates I will change that.
3) I agree, let this be a mod and I will make my own wall and button textures and they will be okay to use. Item sprites are already 100% freehand so you can use those, and the grass/ground took quite a bit of paintover so it's not obvious too I guess :).
4) Obviously the skull and the DOOM button do not fit in the main game, I will make a proper sprite for you to use :). It's just there for the DOOM theme and some lulz.
5) Sure, the sprite is not finished IMHO because I shaded it and then remembered the need of N, and I did not want to re-shade it. Now with the proper file it's easy, thank you :).

P.S. Regarding models, are you accepting .obj format? Or which one do you need? It should be easy to make.

Good to hear we are on the same page here :)

And yes, .obj files will work just fine. Try to keep the polygon count as low as possible -- and thanks!

I really like the energy shield idea! I'll put it on my ever-growing to-do list  :P

azurelao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 09, 2012, 10:10:20 am »

if youre interested in us helping you with models...

what entities are you wanting help with?

also, do they have to be done in a java program, or do we need to add a bone system to them?

phr00t

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 09, 2012, 10:26:28 am »

if youre interested in us helping you with models...

what entities are you wanting help with?

also, do they have to be done in a java program, or do we need to add a bone system to them?

The models are actually generated via code (which is why they can be all different sizes and proportions) and they don't have any bone systems. They don't need to be done in a Java program. OBJ files would work best for models made with any 3D modeling program. I guess the only thing I will be needed models of are projectiles (e.g. grenades, rockets, bullets) -- hopefully very low polygon counts of each. If you want to find or make models, I'll take a look at 'em and possibly put them in :)

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 09, 2012, 11:13:51 am »

Speaking of that, I have been collecting screenshots of goofy looking critters, Enemey-knife-weilding-leader-Pygmys are kinda hard to catch on screencap though.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is my new poke'mon snap.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 11:16:13 am by PsyberianHusky »
Thank you based dwarf.

phr00t

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 09, 2012, 11:20:58 am »

That poke'mon doesn't look very friendly  :P

phr00t

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 09, 2012, 12:35:19 pm »

I've finally made a version a bit based on DOOM but now of my own textures (a bit of copy-n-paste, many tweaks and a lot of freehand), so now it's okay to publish :).

I'd love to get these textures incorporated into the main game -- these are just amazing. Please keep up the good work -- you are using the GIMP lighting thingy now, right?

I think these 3 things will make this texture set complete:

1) Can you find/make another torso armor graphic? Both armor0.png and armor1.png are the same (but damn, it is sexy!)
2) There seems to be an odd layer of pixels in terrain.png between the top half of textures and bottom half.. the halves should line right up (I'm worried this may cause texture problems up close, especially when "Advanced Graphics" is turned off).
3) You already know about this -- the flower / unique grass textures to the left of the building blocks.

Let me know if you need any help. Thanks again man!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 09, 2012, 02:57:51 pm »

I'd love to get these textures incorporated into the main game -- these are just amazing. Please keep up the good work -- you are using the GIMP lighting thingy now, right?

1) Can you find/make another torso armor graphic? Both armor0.png and armor1.png are the same (but damn, it is sexy!)
2) There seems to be an odd layer of pixels in terrain.png between the top half of textures and bottom half.. the halves should line right up (I'm worried this may cause texture problems up close, especially when "Advanced Graphics" is turned off).
3) You already know about this -- the flower / unique grass textures to the left of the building blocks.

1) I can, as I said it's not complete yet, but I will finish it soon.
2) It came from scaling from 1024x1024 to 2048x2048, I will fix that.
3) Yep.

I have a question, what are those blue tiles (three between the elevator and the lamp tiles) for? And the tile between the "floating island" ground and a "stone with gems"?

Another set of questions:

a) I really dislike how "flat flowers" look. Would it be possible to make (even 2d) sprites protruding from the ground for the vegetation?
b) It would also be awesome to have some alien animals/birds which do not attack player (some may be agressive) for immersion.
c) Also, any plans for proper "settlements"? Random towers no longer deliver... I want to see something which looks like towns or fortresses and makes sense (with warehouses where you can find loot, with guard towers and living blocks).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 03:04:51 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

phr00t

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 09, 2012, 03:03:30 pm »

1) I can, as I said it's not complete yet, but I will finish it soon.
2) It came from scaling from 1024x1024 to 2048x2048, I will fix that.
3) Yep.

I have a question, what are those blue tiles (three between the elevator and the lamp tiles) for? And the tile between the "floating island" ground and a "stone with gems"?

1+2+3) Great  ;D

The blue tiles are the underwater versions of grass, dirt and rocky dirt. They should look like grass/dirt/rocky dirt, just be blueish  :)

That other blue block is another underwater texture -- it is the texture for the mineable solid rock underwater.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 09, 2012, 04:24:41 pm »

I've added a/b/c questions, check them please :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26