Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26

Author Topic: 3079  (Read 69668 times)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Re: 3079
« Reply #240 on: January 14, 2012, 09:45:26 pm »

It's java itself, I just get the standard "Not responding" message.

phr00t

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 14, 2012, 09:48:04 pm »

It's java itself, I just get the standard "Not responding" message.

Mac/Windows/Linux? Also, what version of Java do you have? Can you try uninstalling/re-installing? So v2.2 had this same crashing behavior, just less often?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 14, 2012, 10:06:12 pm »

It's Windows, Java 6 Update 30.

v2.2 crashed at the same time: Whenever I attempt to start a new game or load a previous one. However, once in a while it worked, so I'd just keep restarting until it loaded correctly. I've never had a crash while playing the game, just attempting to start it.

somedude

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 14, 2012, 10:32:17 pm »

In regards to the feature list/prioritization, might it make sense to look into a bug-tracking system like Mantis or Bugzilla?  If you do end up getting a lot of requests, something like that would be a good way to collate all of them, and I think some offer features where people can vote up the priorities that they see as most important.

I've been playing the update today, and the new textures look quite impressive - the expanded day/night cycle also feels a bit better.  So far the new update plays fine on my Mac, but I'll try firing it up on my PC as well later tonight (pretty sure it has the same java version installed) and see how it performs. 

Edit: also cleaned up a few things on the wiki page, and added a section with some basics on the different classes of weapons (at least, the ones I've come across so far).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 10:55:19 pm by somedude »

phr00t

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 14, 2012, 11:09:13 pm »

It's Windows, Java 6 Update 30.

v2.2 crashed at the same time: Whenever I attempt to start a new game or load a previous one. However, once in a while it worked, so I'd just keep restarting until it loaded correctly. I've never had a crash while playing the game, just attempting to start it.

The Java.exe crashes are very difficult to troubleshoot... the last one that existed was a problem with LWJGL on Windows 64-bit machines (the foundation for Java graphics rendering), a library that both 3079 and Minecraft uses. LWJGL knew about it, and they fixed it. What makes it so difficult is because the crash isn't happening in my code, but Java.. so there isn't an exception or any error to read. I suspect something is happening between the underlying libraries I am using and your specific setup  :-\

Goacbc

• Bay Watcher
  • Vote or Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 14, 2012, 11:11:25 pm »

Phr00t, is there anyway we could get a sort of map that could display "conquered" territory of the two factions?
-Fuck Weak Motherfuckers

dylanwalsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 15, 2012, 04:31:48 am »

thanks to everyone who edited the wiki.
the reason it was carp at first was I only had 10 minutes to make it.

dylanwalsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 15, 2012, 07:27:32 am »

even though there is already a guide, i made one to help new players step by step (its not finished).

phr00t

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 15, 2012, 09:25:51 am »

even though there is already a guide, i made one to help new players step by step (its not finished).

Thanks -- I added a wiki link on 3079's homepage :)

Phr00t, is there anyway we could get a sort of map that could display "conquered" territory of the two factions?

A map is on the ever growing "to-do" list. However, there isn't any current "conquered" state of territory, so that'd have to be added first  ;D

somedude

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 15, 2012, 06:54:03 pm »

The wiki is definitely coming together.  I did a bit more editing and cleaned up some formatting to make things easier to read, and also added a few tips to the weapons and guide based on my playing so far.

phr00t

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 15, 2012, 07:36:51 pm »

The wiki is definitely coming together.  I did a bit more editing and cleaned up some formatting to make things easier to read, and also added a few tips to the weapons and guide based on my playing so far.

Awesome, thanks!

somedude

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 15, 2012, 11:59:16 pm »

After playing some more today, I have a couple of suggestions:

-Is the selection of item to lose on death completely random?  Out of the various items, some vary greatly at the moment in terms of importance and ease of acquisition (demon smiters immediately come to mind, as they seem to only be acquired occasionally through quests), and I wonder if having such items weighted to disappear less often might help.

-Given that whether a defeated enemy drops anything is currently a binary proposition (NPC kills it = no drops, player kills it = drops), you can get into some “kill-stealing” situations where an NPC can swoop in and pick off a tough enemy you’ve finally whittled down, denying drops (and I suppose you could do the same to NPCs, getting the drops with little effort).  I wonder if it would make sense to have the drops appear if you deal a certain percentage of damage to the enemy, regardless of whether you deal the final blow.

Also, I noticed a couple of small graphical glitches.  When I killed an enemy in a corner of a building, the items it dropped seemed to get stuck on the corner, spinning around and unable to be collected.  I also noticed that when you destroy terrain near the water level, it will create a pit full of water even if it’s not connected to a body of water, with the flowing water texture on it - not a big deal, just looks a little weird to have a little puddle of water flowing like a river.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 16, 2012, 12:08:20 am »

M'kay, I managed to get an error message before Java crashes. Apparently clicking outside of the screen delays the default Windows crash message just long enough for the game to spit out an error.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

phr00t

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 16, 2012, 09:29:30 am »

After playing some more today, I have a couple of suggestions:

-Is the selection of item to lose on death completely random?  Out of the various items, some vary greatly at the moment in terms of importance and ease of acquisition (demon smiters immediately come to mind, as they seem to only be acquired occasionally through quests), and I wonder if having such items weighted to disappear less often might help.

-Given that whether a defeated enemy drops anything is currently a binary proposition (NPC kills it = no drops, player kills it = drops), you can get into some “kill-stealing” situations where an NPC can swoop in and pick off a tough enemy you’ve finally whittled down, denying drops (and I suppose you could do the same to NPCs, getting the drops with little effort).  I wonder if it would make sense to have the drops appear if you deal a certain percentage of damage to the enemy, regardless of whether you deal the final blow.

Also, I noticed a couple of small graphical glitches.  When I killed an enemy in a corner of a building, the items it dropped seemed to get stuck on the corner, spinning around and unable to be collected.  I also noticed that when you destroy terrain near the water level, it will create a pit full of water even if it’s not connected to a body of water, with the flowing water texture on it - not a big deal, just looks a little weird to have a little puddle of water flowing like a river.

Thanks for the suggestions!

#1 -- Yes, item loss on death is completely random. However, I would like to keep it this way. I don't want to nerf death. If I had it lose less important items, the player would be much less afraid of death. Also, you could just stack up on worthless level 1 stuff so the chances of losing anything important is almost zero.

#2 -- Yeah, this is a good suggestion.

#3 -- I think I can fix the item drop thing, but the water thing isn't going to be easy to fix. To save on lots of processing, I just have one water "sheet" that extends the whole world -- this causes the small pool of moving water :-/

M'kay, I managed to get an error message before Java crashes. Apparently clicking outside of the screen delays the default Windows crash message just long enough for the game to spit out an error.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yuck.. just as I expected. This is a crash within LWJGL (looks like the OpenAL sound module). All we can do is report it to the LWJGL team and hope they fix it :(

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 16, 2012, 06:48:59 pm »

I've signed in my Desura account... And I've got a gift of 3079? How does it work? :D
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26