Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26

Author Topic: 3079  (Read 69143 times)

Samio

• Bay Watcher
  • ˙uǝʌǝ ʇ,uop ı sıɥʇ sı ʇɐɥʍ
    • View Profile
« on: November 24, 2011, 10:06:24 pm »

I found this: https://sites.google.com/site/3079game/
Looks interesting. Also, apparently it's the sequel to two other games, 3059: http://people.umass.edu/jvight/3059/
And 3069: https://sites.google.com/site/free3069/
Both are pretty fun, as I recall.
You have to pay for some features of 3079, apparently.  :-\
But it looks OK.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: 3079
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 10:09:38 pm »

So, what is it? Minecraft with guns?

Samio

• Bay Watcher
  • ˙uǝʌǝ ʇ,uop ı sıɥʇ sı ʇɐɥʍ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 10:13:54 pm »

That's what I've seen so far from the 3079 one anyway. The demo is real limited. But 3069 and 3059 are both excellent.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 10:32:29 pm »

If I remember correctly, 3059 and 3069 were insanely obscure rogue-likes with no tutorial or mention on any forum I could find... so I will now examine them to see what they actually are.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 11:05:33 pm »

3059 was pretty interesting, actually, if somewhat grindy and in some difficult-to-quantify way bland. Had a fairly complete manual in-game, iirc. Biggest complaint with it, personally, was that it tried to keep you from unfocusing on the game. Couldn't do anything with th'game in the background, if I'm remembering how it went right. Controls were also a bit awkward. Fairly solid all around, though.

3069 was... I don't think it was actually completed, or something. I remember it being in dev and mostly unworking, then a lil'while ago I saw mention of "79.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 01:54:12 am »

I played some 3059. I never got past the first level, as anything I attacked killed me.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

phr00t

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 07:23:46 pm »

Hey guys, 3079 dev here  :D

But 3069 and 3059 are both excellent.
Both are pretty fun, as I recall.

Thank you thank you :)

The demo is real limited.

A single game is pretty limited, yes, but you can see lots of stuff by restarting a new game (which resets the timer / position limitations).

This is what it looks like, yup. My next video I make (when I get the full v2.0 release) will show more of the non-minecraft gameplay. Basically, 3079 plays more like Fallout (RPG elements, item attributes, AI, side quests and main storyline etc.). There isn't much mining and crafting. It also is a new engine, built from scratch & very smooth (multithreaded etc.). I just got multiplayer functional (even though it still needs some work) in v2pre6.

I've got a homepage up (and a link to the official forum) at http://3079.phr00t.com/

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy it :)

- Phr00t

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 04:19:51 pm »

Aww i loved his older games..
Almost got to build a house in the 2d graphical wich i cant find anymore..

It just looks like he ditched his creativity for some minecraft with guns..
Hope atleast the cities will be just as dynamic :/

Edit: Watched the trailer.. seems ok enough.. i am still disapointed, a bit, but not much. Seems better than most of the crappy MC ripoffs, but i would love if it keeped its roguelike and stealth elements..
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 04:23:45 pm by DrPoo »
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

phr00t

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 05:06:04 pm »

I swear 3079 isn't "just minecraft with guns"... it actually plays nothing like minecraft. 3079 did keep its roguelike elements (randomly generated items, terrain, enemies, quests & buildings) and stealth elements (invisibility skill, hiding in shadows, detection meter & silenced weapons). I admit my current video doesn't advertise all this very well -- I will have a new video in a bit. I'm putting alot of development into expanding gameplay and graphics, so I haven't made another video yet. Give a few plays of the demo a try in the meantime -- I'm working on it, I promise  ;D

- Phr00t (3079/3069/3059's developer)

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 06:03:37 pm »

I swear 3079 isn't "just minecraft with guns"... it actually plays nothing like minecraft. 3079 did keep its roguelike elements (randomly generated items, terrain, enemies, quests & buildings) and stealth elements (invisibility skill, hiding in shadows, detection meter & silenced weapons). I admit my current video doesn't advertise all this very well -- I will have a new video in a bit. I'm putting alot of development into expanding gameplay and graphics, so I haven't made another video yet. Give a few plays of the demo a try in the meantime -- I'm working on it, I promise  ;D

- Phr00t (3079/3069/3059's developer)

Cool, but my money aint going nowhere before i got my card or when i got bitcoins enough for this(exchanging to real money), and before this thing actually looks like something that could become something.

Me and AoD(Wich sadly disappared forever) was making a game called Ameripain, basically an online Cataclysm Roguelike with Hellmoo and 3059 elements in it, the other programmer, Red, got busy and stopped making stuff, i got lazy and AoD broke his god damn computer and is too lazy to fix it. I hope this will somewhat substitute my dreams of cutting out the virtual splines of my buddies while hiding from impossible to kill monsters..

phr00t

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 06:20:32 pm »

this thing actually looks like something that could become something

Welp, I'm going to keep working on it -- I won't be able to please everyone, but I think it is already something  ;D

I hope this will somewhat substitute my dreams of cutting out the virtual splines of my buddies while hiding from impossible to kill monsters..

Multiplayer functionality is just about done (although it is currently playable, and I will still be adding multiplayer features after it is "done", of course) -- so you should be able to kill some buddies (and hide from the big baddies). Let me know if you have any suggestions. After multiplayer, I want to add "radioactive" biomes -- you'll need radioactive protection to walk in it.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 06:38:49 pm »

this thing actually looks like something that could become something

Welp, I'm going to keep working on it -- I won't be able to please everyone, but I think it is already something  ;D

I hope this will somewhat substitute my dreams of cutting out the virtual splines of my buddies while hiding from impossible to kill monsters..

Multiplayer functionality is just about done (although it is currently playable, and I will still be adding multiplayer features after it is "done", of course) -- so you should be able to kill some buddies (and hide from the big baddies). Let me know if you have any suggestions. After multiplayer, I want to add "radioactive" biomes -- you'll need radioactive protection to walk in it.

Fantastic! if i had anything to suggest, then it would be slopes, and vehicles, hopefully part based customisation, because who wouldnt like to watch a giant phallus mothership blow their fortress to pieces? Anything, even fuel type would be customiseable, make a diesel fuelled rocket or a helicopter that runs on plutonium, or something wicked in between.
Also randomly generated creatures.

Fakeedit: Oh oh, also some kind of Ace of Spades style block physics, that block destruction in the trailer looked horrible.

phr00t

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 07:11:44 pm »

Slopes: You don't see it in the video, but I do have dynamic slopes (you will see them in the demo). They are not "flush" slopes, but it does make it look a bit better.
Vehicles: I want vehicles too -- I have to figure out how to do it (terrain collision with such a huge object), but I totally agree -- a huge ship with lasers coming down  8)
Randomly Generated Creatures: Creatures are already randomly generated (their size, items, statistics, leg/head proportions etc.) -- however, more creature types are on the to-do list.

Fakeedit: Oh oh, also some kind of Ace of Spades style block physics, that block destruction in the trailer looked horrible.

What looked horrible about it? That there were floating blocks left over? Physics is a CPU hog... the tricky thing is determining (quickly) if a set of blocks are connected to solid ground (because that block with an empty space below it might be connected to a block on the side [and should that block be falling too? etc etc])

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 07:48:31 am »

Slopes: You don't see it in the video, but I do have dynamic slopes (you will see them in the demo). They are not "flush" slopes, but it does make it look a bit better.
Vehicles: I want vehicles too -- I have to figure out how to do it (terrain collision with such a huge object), but I totally agree -- a huge ship with lasers coming down  8)
Randomly Generated Creatures: Creatures are already randomly generated (their size, items, statistics, leg/head proportions etc.) -- however, more creature types are on the to-do list.

What looked horrible about it? That there were floating blocks left over? Physics is a CPU hog... the tricky thing is determining (quickly) if a set of blocks are connected to solid ground (because that block with an empty space below it might be connected to a block on the side [and should that block be falling too? etc etc])

Ace of Spades does that and literally even my granny's rig runs the game like butter
But yeah, the way they just floated in the air :P

phr00t

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 11:10:25 am »

Ace of Spades does that and literally even my granny's rig runs the game like butter

I watched some videos -- pretty impressive. It definitely isn't trivial to do that -- I also notice the "broken" sections become a whole separate chunks of geometry, which is also impressive. I'll see what I can do, but my priority is other stuff at the moment (multiplayer, the "big ships" etc.).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26