Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fun With Towers and Fractals *New Polystar Designs*  (Read 7117 times)

[NO_THOUGHT]

• Bay Watcher
  • *cricket*
    • View Profile
Fun With Towers and Fractals *New Polystar Designs*
« on: November 25, 2011, 02:32:24 am »

Having recently recaught the dwarf fortress design bug, I was again messing around with fractal designs and the holy grail of fractal bedroom design, the raynard fractal. Studying on wikipedia I found that the raynard fractal was probably based of some sort of Vicsek snowflake (see: this). I decided I wanted a tall square tower, that was fractal and square. Neither Vicsek or raynard allowed such goals. So I decided to alter the Menger Sponge and Sierpinski carpet to fill my needs (<-- redundant statement is redundant and not an expression of hubris [from wikipedia information overload] I swear :) )

This is what I got

Incredibly space inefficient, path finds like a blind man whose just had his eardrums popped, and completely unoptimized (which I will change I promise ;))
It also looks like mana from heaven tastes.

Things todo: shrink main corridor sizes and give cross corridor to all sectors, do SOMETHING with that HUGE empty space, count how many rooms there are; doors required; and maximum/mean walking distances. All for tomorrow.

Also, shrink it... just a bit :P, and make a wall contruction version.

Version 2: Now with more border!

This way you can easily make use of the empty spaces, invert the image for a construction diagram instead of a dig diagram, or delete the undesignated portions for a clean and inneficient design. Your choice!

Version 2S: What is this, Apple?

Smaller so that realistic dwarves can dig this thing out. Due to the nature of the fractal, sizes are in powers of 3 making this size 81x81. A total of 44 bedrooms are made per floor. However 40 more can be added by joining the inside portions, and another 1 large room is available around the edge if you designate this instead of build it.

Octopod Series
Working file - The file I used to plan, design, and measure out the workings. Colors are wrong and base units are included for reference

Open Rooms - These pods have walls too thin to make proper room designations. Use for stockpiles, barraks, hospitals, other loose designations.

Bedrooms - These were designed as bedrooms. Maximum space with minimal construction, shared doors and spare rooms in center lobby. NOT CONNECTED. These pods require access to eachother through the lobby level, for security reasons.

Lobby - Open areas, minimal walls, and plenty of space to enable security and freedom of design.

Jacobian Zipper

104 rooms, door inefficient, pathing is simple however. Up/down staircase in centre and corners, statues/falls in spare 3x3s.

Larger (not for designation) size for viewing:

PolyStar Bedroom Series:

Each unit is a circle hallway with 12-3 3x3 bedrooms contained therein. Each polystar bedroom pattern is made from 12-3 bedroom units of corresponding bedroom numbers. Pathing will be long, unless you place one polystar bedroom pattern in another to get a central hallway.

One confirmed combination is the 8 polystar placed inside the 12 polystar.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 08:34:30 pm by [NO_THOUGHT] »

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fun With Towers and Fractals
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 07:08:33 am »

Looking pretty sweet. If you're makign a tower out of this maybe you could leave a large hole in the middle and design a huge waterfall magmafall with a large winding staircase around it.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 03:11:25 pm »

Ooooooh! Mind if I add this to the fractal macro pack?

You can also add it to the wiki here.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

[NO_THOUGHT]

• Bay Watcher
  • *cricket*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 01:02:05 am »

I don't mind at all really, but I would rather that you wait for me to finish my updated version (which I shall start right away :) )

EDIT:
Done! going to change the middle to fill it with something but I decided that:
If the smallest square is for dwarves
Then the second smallest is for nobles
The second largest for the leaders
And the Largest is for dining... gotta keep your priorities straight you know?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 01:18:15 am by [NO_THOUGHT] »

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 01:48:17 am »

I just turned this into a macro, and... it can't even fit into a 4x4 embark square. Might wanna shrink it down a bit.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

[NO_THOUGHT]

• Bay Watcher
  • *cricket*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 02:51:34 am »

REAL DWARVES USE 6X6 AND STILL WANT MOAR!

:P Ya I just tried myself to designate and it pretty much threw up on me, a smaller version would only be 81x81 tiles though....

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 12:10:22 pm »

each of those little square rooms is currently 3x3, yes?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 03:36:26 pm »

yup

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 04:10:44 pm »

OH GOD MY EYES

[NO_THOUGHT]

• Bay Watcher
  • *cricket*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 01:12:06 am »

New Fractals!

Okay... well... not as fractally as the other ones were, but sort of self similar anyway. I call this set the "Octopods" and that's only because:
1: I started making a dodecagon (12 sides) and got the rooms separated right.
2: I started to arrange the circles in a series of twelve, but the pixelated circles really REALLY wanted to tile into eights, thus an octogon.

So "Octopods" should really be "Dodecapods" but the fractalpattern is similar on a level of 8, not 12.

Working file - The file I used to plan, design, and measure out the workings. Colors are wrong and base units are included for reference

Open Rooms - These pods have walls too thin to make proper room designations. Use for stockpiles, barraks, hospitals, other loose designations.

Bedrooms - These were designed as bedrooms. Maximum space with minimal construction, shared doors and spare rooms in center lobby. NOT CONNECTED. These pods require access to eachother through the lobby level, for security reasons.

Lobby - Open areas, minimal walls, and plenty of space to enable security and freedom of design.

*As a Note* These rooms are far more efficient in nature than my previous design.
44 rooms -> 96 rooms
Multi Lobby -> Single Lobby
Security Nightmare -> Security Simple
81x81 -> 75x77

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 01:55:47 am »

Welp, it works. Is the "lobby" design meant to be placed above the bedrooms to connect them?
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

[NO_THOUGHT]

• Bay Watcher
  • *cricket*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 02:07:04 am »

Yes, the lobby can go either one floor above or below the bedrooms/loose rooms. You can also undesignate and place a door for each pod to it's storage room... but where is the fun/security in that :P

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 08:07:18 am »

An idea for the center: make it water tight and use it as a huge aquarium. Or better yet, an !!☼Aquarium☼!!, complete with fire imps, magma crabs, and skeletal carp. Bonus points if the rooms all have windows. Flood the hallways as a doomsday mechanism. Also, all those designs are very pretty.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 08:09:13 am by Lagslayer »

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 05:43:18 am »

They are beautiful. I prefer the square ones, I can't say why, but I just love them.

[NO_THOUGHT]

• Bay Watcher
  • *cricket*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 04:54:21 pm »

Heres another tower design... no fractals here though. I thought it would be fun to make something akin to a zipper, but it didn't work out so well. w/e

104 rooms, door inefficient, pathing simple. Place up/down staircase in centre with optional placings at corners. Also, try putting statues/waterfalls in the spare 3x3s.
Pages: [1] 2