Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Inspiring storys of Dwarves triumping over there disabilities.  (Read 2147 times)

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
Inspiring storys of Dwarves triumping over there disabilities.
« on: December 08, 2011, 05:46:04 pm »

Well, we have all had a swordwarf with a missing leg or one with broken eyes, but this is a thread to cataloge all those dwarves that went beyond what could be expected of them and live on to do great things.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Re: Inspiring storys of Dwarves triumping over there disabilities.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 06:16:49 pm »

I once saw a dwarf stop running, turn around and punch a groundhog once. I was so happy!
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 06:48:07 pm »

Well I had that one ex-military dorf that was expected to die after all the wounds and was assigned to fortress guard duty until his death.
I kinda forgot about him, but he made quite a comeback. He was missing the upper leg, and severed nerves on one arm, and as you can guess was almost perfect for the position, except that artifact lead crutch he took for himself.

He managed to kill 4 dorfs that broke a duke's ban export in exactly 6 strikes and before I could pause to figure out what happened. Deadly efficient cripple.

EDIT: also there is a Ilral 'Lightning' Sarammebzuth, the blind marksdwarf.
He was named "Lightning" because lightning never strikes twice in the same place.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 06:53:30 pm by Diamond »

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 07:04:55 pm »

I once had a militia commander (not yet cripped), who carried around two silver warhammers, and was lightly armoured in something I can't remember.  Anyways, she was my only soldier at the time, and I had a giant tiger scaring away woodchoppers on the other side of the river valley.  So, I sent her in, despite her being only a novice hammer dwarf and pretty green with all other combat skills. 

What could go wrong? I mean, its just a giant tiger..

Well, immediately at the start of combat, she got her right arm ripped off by the thing.  Warhammer and all.   After fleeing for a minute, trail of blood following, she went to go get her revenge and crushed the tiger's skull in with her left hammer. 

Then proceeded to go take a nap at the barracks, like nothing happened.  She made me proud that day..
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 07:07:36 pm »

A few forts back, my starting 7 were soon attacked by a giant badger.  I embarked with three hammerdwarves, two of which immediately engaged the beast in combat.  It grabbed one and tore into his leg, though the dwarf bit it right back.  The second hammerdwarf smashed the giant badger's head in, but there was blood everywhere with no hospital designated!  I didn't even have any beds! 

I quickly broke down the wagon and used the wood to make a carpenters shop, then made a bed and created an emergency 3x3 hospital zone.  My doctor, Feverfew, rushed the patient to it, then got to work.  She happened to have the "calm under pressure" trait.  She patched him up and got him out of there without any infection, despite the lack of soap. 

The injured dwarf no longer had use of one leg and needed a crutch to get around.  I considered leaving him out of my starting military, as I assumed that with one hand for the crutch, he couldn't wield a shield.  On a lark, I drafted him anyway.  Imagine my surprise when I saw him hobble to the barracks with crutch *and* shield secured with one arm!  He immediately started sparring with his fellow soldier and gave as good as he got.  Later, he was rewarded with a pet jaguar from the elves, and together they brought much pain to the fort's foes.  His original name was Horsehale (he was rarely sick and loved horses in his attributes), but I renamed him to Shieldcrutch.

Shieldcrutch went on to become a militia captain of the fort known as Workclimax.  He also married Feverfew, the doctor who saved his life :).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 07:19:37 pm by VerdantSF »

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 07:46:31 pm »

Oh, I had one just last night, at Bannerskies, the fort I just frustration-quit today because of FPS death. One of my original marksdwarves lost a leg and an eye because he decided to quit his post and melee a troll (my fault; I forgot the 45° rule when building my towers). He got a crutch and hobbled around slowly, like dabbling crutch-walkers do, but he was just a marksdwarf, so mobility shouldn't have been a priority. I left him be.

A couple seasons later I noticed my archery targets were deserted. Curious, I checked out the squad, and found them doing an archery demonstration … led by old one-eye himself. I peeked at his stats DT and found he'd somehow worked his way up to high master teacher (or maybe he'd arrived with the skill; he was a migrant), and he was training the newbies I'd recruited to replace the losses sustained in the same siege that took his eye.

I got this great mental image of a crutch-walking one-legged dwarf with an eyepatch limping up and down the parade grounds outside my entrance with half a dozen former waxworkers and beekeepers sitting Indian-style around him, listing slightly to port and slurring a little, like Quint in Jaws. "Thing about a troll is he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn't even seem to be livin'. He just bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white, and then you hear that terrible screamin'."

And all the beekeepers and waxworkers look at each other sideways and wonder what the hell they've gotten themselves into.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 01:04:14 am »

At Zalisiden, the Militia Commander Zaneg Meetingcrypts the Blockaded recluse of justice got to Legendary in all her trained fighting skills and had 42 notable kills before her death in the Squeezing Assault.

Her injuries:

-No right leg
-No right hand
-Partially paralysed, partially rotten left hand
-Partially paralysed, partially rotten left foot
-Rotten stomach
-Dented head
-a cut on her leg that just wouldn't heal
-Motor nerve damage on the left leg
-Sensory nerve damage on the left foot, left leg, and her remaining hand.

GreshKaal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 01:18:47 am »

I once had a legendary miner who sustained some major wounds from a siege.  It was my first one and my military had no armor and poor combat skills, so they all died and I resorted to anyone with any combat skills, including my two miners (I had them equip picks).  I noticed a while after the siege that this guy had a crutch, but was still mining.  If I recall correctly, he had a broken leg, a smashed hand, a damaged arm, and lots of infection.  But he just kept digging as fast as he could.