Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: PC Power Play Article  (Read 2092 times)

Balistora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
PC Power Play Article
« on: April 15, 2008, 12:08:00 am »

Note: this is directly from the PCPP article about Dwarf Fortress in Issue #147.

Dwarf Fortress is a game without graphics. Well, thats not strictly true. It's a game that, like Rogue and NetHack, uses American Standard Code for information Intercharge, or ASCII characters- the alphabet, punctuation, and a few special symbols- to represent a surprisingly deep game world.
   You might remember Rogue as an infinately self-generating dungeon crawl where you slowly level up while working your way down into the bowls of some hellish fortress. In Dwarf Fortress, you build that situation, painstakingly carving rooms and hallyways out of a mountainside while extracting precious minerals and working them into valuable objects.

Shades of Grey
   This isn't a Dungeon Kepper style game, precisely. Your dwarves arn't evil minions bent on holding back the invasion of a lone hero. Rather, they're just there to make a living. Mine the mountain, sell some goods, breed, and of course hold of said invasions from everything from skeletal elephants to magma men.
   All this is great, but why should you spend time with a free game that doesn't have any graphics, at least not in the way modern gamers think?
   The fact remains, a following for Dwarf Fortress is quickly building online. It comes from the blogs, from lists of free games like PCPP's own Catch of the Month and Garage Games. People are downloading, logging in and loosing themselves inside a missively detailed world. How detailed? Each dwarf has a favorite mineral, that's how. Each dwarf in your settlement expresses a preference for wether or not he or she needs alcohol to get through the working day. each dwarf can go crazy, get possessed by an evil spirit, and take over a workshop to craft a legendary artifact.
   Meanwhile, frantically-generated world of creatures and other races, all going about their own businness. Occasionally that business intersects with your own, and it's up to you to prepare your fortress for the inevitable invasion.

Toybox/Sandbox
   Battlements and drawbridges are obvious, but how about ingenious series of locks and canals to pump water from underground aquifers and flood the upper levels of your fortress on demand? or prehaps water is too mundane, perhaps magma would suit your style more.
   Traps, siege engines, both can be constructed at the component level and be installed in rube Goldberg style interlinkages.
   Meanwhile your farms are providing food for the dwarves and raw materials for making everything from clothes to beds. Carve rooms from the mountain and furnish them to attract nobles and eventually a king.
   Bored with your fortress? Are all of the minerals played out, the mine extended up fifteen levels and down fifteen? Killed all the magma men and channelled the lava into the chambers of that pesky Cyclops? The abandon the fortress and start a new one.
   Your old fortress still persists though, infested with scavengers and even less palatable beasties. And you can amuse yourself for hours taking armies of dwarves through the ghostly caverns and evicting the new tenants and restoring the old hall to their former glory.

Handcrafted Solo

The really amazing thing about Dwarf Fortress is that it's all the work of a single coder. His name is Tarn Adams, and his documentation of this epic works is little short of astonishing.
   Detailed bug reports, new features, planned features, all appear regulary on the Bay 12 Game website where the game makes its home.
   Then there's the fan created Wiki, which demonstrates not only the detail in the game, but the obsessive nature of the fans and their willingness to help others get into this not exactly intuitive title.
   And the eternal question is why. Why is Dwarf Fortress so good, when not a single sprite or texture sugar-coats its massive interlinked databases?

Mind's Eye
   Our favorite theory is this. Perhaps Dwarf Fortress is the gaming equivalent of a good talk radio. It's feature-rich but you have to do the bulk of the visualisation in your head. there might be nothing more then a bunch of hashes and plus signs on a gridded map up there on the display, but you can see the smooth stone walls, you can taste the cool air of the min, and you can hear and feel the thunder of the skeletal elephant as it hutles toward you. Even though all you can actually see it a capitol E blinking its way toward a little smiley face.
   Maybe it's because Dwarf Fortress lets you visualise the game world in your mind, thats its depth and complexity is able to shine through. Read forum posts- on the game's own forum or on the PCPP forum to- and you'd be forgiven for thinking your're missing some graphics plug-in for the game: the descriptions of the gameplay are that vivid.
   there's always talk, as there is always talk, of a graphical front end for the game, similar to the likes of Falcon for Rogue or NetHack. Tilesets abound, though none are officially supported by Tarn Adams himself.
   Because there's a risk that graphics will somehow limit the experiance. games that demonstate true free form dynamics are rare, and if you're "told" how to visialise your dwarves, won't that just make the fortress a little less yours? So the ASCII remains. Dig on! - Anthony Fordham

PCPP has a list of Bay 12 Games that they like, the list:
No More Stumpy-Wumples - Violence, potentially disturbing themes, as well as bad language.
I'm Voting For Myself! - All characters are 18+, animal death and bad language.
Fuck You v1.02 - Bad language, breasts and the corruption of toddlers.
Environmental Extremist - Violent and irrisponible content, as well as bad art.
Cross Stompers - Religious content DO NOT PLAY, NO REDEEMING FEATURES! Requires DirectX

Dwarf Fortress was also nominated for the best Indie game of 2007, but lost to Peggle.

"It says something about Dwarf Fortress when Anthony has a poster of a frantically-generated ASCII map on his wall. And it's the ONLY game-related poster he whished to display" - Quote from PCPP Issue #148

[ April 15, 2008: Message edited by: Balistora ]

[ April 15, 2008: Message edited by: Balistora ]

The 10000 year world would bother me.
Not because of the memory requirements, though they would be huge, but because technology wouldn't advance.
10000 years of the same swords and shields sort of tech is goofy.
Kobold Thief has stolen *flying car*

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PC Power Play Article
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 12:16:00 am »

quote:
Each dwarf in your settlement expresses a preference for wether or not he or she needs alcohol to get through the working day.

No. Just no.

Balistora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 12:24:00 am »

what do you mean?
Not because of the memory requirements, though they would be huge, but because technology wouldn't advance.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 12:58:00 am »

I think ricemastah means to say "They're dwarves!  They ALL need alcohol to get through the working day."  But I can't be sure, since that's not what was said.

It's really, really, really good press though.  I'm glad this game is getting it and as far as I can tell, he was spot on.

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 01:03:00 am »

What the FUCK is peggle?

Oh, it's a bubblepop game clone, why do people think that overrated piece is so good?

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
  • still hasn't found any adamantine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 04:20:00 am »

For a serious article, there's quite a few spelling mistakes.

Balistora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 04:23:00 am »

well ill go over the ENTIRE thing...  :( and change anything that isn't suppost to be there

Balistora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 04:25:00 am »

but remember, PCPP is an aussie mag

Balistora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 04:53:00 am »

o btw...i noticed that Bay12Games hasn't seen the PCPP article about DF...so this is why i posted this thread because i started collecting PCPP mags when the DF article was made

(also they included v32a..?)

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 05:29:00 am »

Well I did try to get in mentioning the religion update, the only problem is that pcpp is anywhere between 6-10 weeks behind the times (eg they won't be mentioning the dow2 site until at least June, if not July.   Will admit peggle extreeeemmmee was fun (and still is), though I would have put it as an indie game in the same way that Doom3 is an indie game.  I think they needed it to give the orange box another award :\

EDIT: issue 147, that was sometime last year.  Them releasing every 4th wednesday and calling it a month   :roll:

[ April 15, 2008: Message edited by: frostedfire ]

the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF

Blue

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 11:08:00 am »

I scanned it a while back but accidentally deleted one of the pages. I can scan it again and post if it anyone wants, but the images are mostly just stuff re-used from other sources.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 03:12:00 pm »

Peggle is pretty good but not DF good in any way.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 03:31:00 pm »

Well compared that Dwarf Fortress is no where close to completion (and even further from it in 2007) I think it doing so well is great.

Vugor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 03:40:00 pm »

*falls to knees*  DAMN YOU PEGGLE!!!!!! DAMN YOU!!!!!!!

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 04:46:00 pm »

I'd like to have a poster of my world.
Pages: [1] 2