Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 167

Author Topic: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - We need more lunatics to run this asylum!  (Read 181383 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile

Day by day it's power grows,
Until at last its face it shows,
(I forget this line),
The land shall find a final peace.

1. Grow in power
2. Show face
3. ? ? ?
4. PROFIT!!! PEACE!!!
Considering that "peace" in this context means "lack of anything to wage war"

Details, details.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile

Details, details.

Sigged.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

At first I thought you were quoting a line from the wheel of time, but...what story is that from, anyways?
as the power of the curse grows, may our own power to fight it grow as well.
*switches the steve statue with an urist figurine while he thinks nobody is watching*

loo(k)
there is an artifact cage containing 72 demon crickets in a circle. 
...GUYS GRAB THE SPRAY QUICK!
minor spoiler concerning the last book of the wheel of time:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:04:16 am by fractalman »
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile

Details, details.

Sigged.

*bows graciously*
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

At first I thought you were quoting a line from the wheel of time, but...what story is that from, anyways?
as the power of the curse grows, may our own power to fight it grow as well.
*switches the steve statue with an urist figurine while he thinks nobody is watching*

It's either a quote from Deltora Quest 3 Book 4 or Rowan Of Rin Book 2, or a combination thereof. My memory is fuzzy.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i grabbed the save. 50/50 my turn will have the same save, anyways.  I have one thing to say:

WHO SET UP A NEST BOX WITHOUT ADEQUATE SLAUGHTER CAPACITY!
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i grabbed the save. 50/50 my turn will have the same save, anyways.  I have one thing to say:

WHO SET UP A NEST BOX WITHOUT ADEQUATE SLAUGHTER CAPACITY!

hahaha

I stopped food production completely when I was there.  less than 30 dwarves with thousands of food and drink.  No need for more food for a long, long time.

Might be a good idea to set up a large muddy area for a whole bunch of pastures, etc, and keep all the animals there, behind triple-airlocked doors so you can see the state of animal population all in one place.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile

The state of animal population is horrible.
Kills my computer... er... did.
I don't recommend trying to butcher them.
We don't have a work force capable of butchering them faster than they breed while dealing with all the items that are produced.
And caging them is super slow.
I recommend killing them all at once with water or lava.
Don't leave any living.
We don't have use for most of their species.
They need to all die.
Kill.
Them.
All.

PS: My apologies for disappearing. It's clear to me now that this is not a save I'm capable of conquering more than an in game month of.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 06:38:14 pm by Cellmonk »

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The state of animal population is horrible.
Kills my computer... er... did.
I don't recommend trying to butcher them.
We don't have a work force capable of butchering them faster than they breed while dealing with all the items that are produced.
And caging them is super slow.
I recommend killing them all at once with water or lava.
Don't leave any living.
We don't have use for most of their species.
They need to all die.
Kill.
Them.
All.

PS: My apologies for disappearing. It's clear to me now that this is not a save I'm capable of conquering more than an in game month of.

Actually, I saw your advice to pasture them all, and I did.
They are now stabalizing their own population.  95% of the animals are now in a 5x5 section.  And the dwarves are walking outside to pick up seeds....i kinda unforbid seeds via the stocks menu.  Oh, and I pastured 2 cougars and some dogs and a rhino at the entrance.  should kill any kobolds that think "Oh, with all the treasure out here, there must be even GREATER treasure WITHIN!". And maybe slow any titans down enough that whoever plays it can build walls while the anim

I also destroyed nearly every stockpile to free up dwarves for animal hauling.   I destroyed both preexisting garbage dumps, becuase they were in...pretty much the worst possible locations.

Focusing on food production; lavish meals consume 4 item stacks to produce one. 
New quantum stockpile is near the entrance-it's that miasma producing square just south of the hospital.
Erica is a lot happier, now that I've designated a dining room for her, and designated a table as a dining room to bring cousac's tomb down to a double-shared...she's still complaining about it's "pretentiousness", but i don't think she's complaining as often or as loudly. 

I Will post save ONLY if aksed to. Otherwise, "it never happened"-to prevent the many-timelines effect. 

edit:
So.  Um.  when I resume, I plan to kill the seed stockpile.  I also halted all farm plots, though i may tell one of the plots to request fertilizer...it might reduce the item count a bit. 

my advice to whoever follows after me:
1. don't bring items to stockpiles near workshops.  build new workshops to the items, and use manager to locate workshops that need to be turned off.
2.  don't drag items long distances to the traders. bring the traders to the items. 
3.  don't do things that create more items, with the possible exception of tasks that must be done to make traders accept a good. eg, lavish meals: good.  farming: bad. brewing: bad.  rock crafts: not just yet.   bone bolts: not just yet. melting: sometimes. 
4.  Don't drag items long distances to a garbage dump; halt all dump tasks, and make a new quantum stockpile near the items.  kill, or at least deactivate, the old one.
5. Have Erica start making some doors once she's feeling a little bit better.  An available dining hall has already helped her mood, though. 
6.  When you take on the quarry level...well, see rule 1...but import beds, food, and brew-every pot i've looked at down there is empty. 

« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 04:11:16 pm by fractalman »

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I WASN'T going to post this without a specific request...
but nobody else is posting....
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7452

Dwarven liason already met.  I THINK he made it out safely.

I ordered up everything heavy I could think of. The resultant caravan should only have a few items on it. 

Pretty sure the dwarven civ is dead.  And I never got around to renaming a dwarf after myself.  Oh well. 

f8 changed from "near river" (useless) to where i spotted 1 of the three remaining bodies. A second is not terribly far away.   No idea where the third is.  Someone who knows how to anihilate aquifers needs to deal with those two bodies. 

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have read through the entire thread now.
My mind is whole, but churning.
I may be creating another Aspect just to deal with this place.

Sweet Jesus I am ready.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

See if you can name one of the legendary children (there's one or two) after me. 

p.s. every time an animal gets enraged, it ignores the pasture zone.  So dwarves keep having to re-haul animals into it...you might want to fix that by locking some of the doors nearby before you try to deal with the lone goblin, but you'll need to get the dwarf out as well.

Have fun.  and check task manager every now and then
Even though i got the jump on the curse by playing out of turn, it tried to kill my computer by letting this one program spawn itself 50 times or so.  If your computer starts slowing way down only a season or two in, save and quit and upload the save.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think it all started when i fought the enderdragon.  part of me insists it started before that.
But anyways, there I was, shooting arrows at it and flying around with my swiftwolf's gale.  that's when I had the crazy idea to chuck a Klein star at it like a shuriken.  it worked.   Only...some part of me knew a portal would form when the dragon died...and then the explosion from the klein star pumped too much energy into it.  next thing you know, I find myself really, really dizzy and...sortof disembodied.  Eventually, i figured out I was in charge of some dwarves, only...well, I ordered them to tear down a wall right before goblins showed up.  then things flickered...and I was in charge of another set of dwarves, this one a group of exiles in a huanted glacier-that...happened three or four times before this huge goblin seige showed up.  but before that last flicker, I had figured out a way to approach a single dwarf.  I couldn't do very much, but I could inspire them artisticly in ways no typical dwarf ever could...
How was I to know that doing that while a flicker was occuring would wind up with me trapped inside a dwarven child?
grumbling reached my ears.  along with "well, i don't want it". "clearly i'm not ready for it..." "where's squirrellord, anyways? shouldn't it be his turn?" "no, it's not his turn."
Feeling disoriented, and bored-probably a temporary side effect of merging with the child-I looked around for something to read.  I found a picture book, flipped through it, and...flipped through it again.  Demon strawberries? checkerboards?  feeling truly disoriented, I walked through the door and said "hey, does anyone know what's up with this book?"
Stunned silence.
"it means your the overseer".
"oh.  how typical. " Looking around, I realized the place was a mess.  "lets put all this junk into a single tile".
"a...tile?"
"yeah.  that spot near the entrance of our fort is as good as any, even if it is the hospital."
"well, that book has chosen you, so I guess you're the overseer...but...a child?"
I blinked. "you'd better hope i'm not cursed"
At which everyone laughed. "dude, the entire place is cursed!"
then i said "well...then lets break that curse.  tear it to bits and pieces untill it dissolves in the rising sun
It was a strange year.  I spent all my time yelling at dwarves to stop hauling stuff from the so-called "quarry layer" to the top of the stairs, and to stop taking torn socks from upstairs to the magma pile.   A pity the elves took one look at the bit of wood stuck to a bit of cloth and turned around in disgust-we really needed all the help we could get to break this curse.
oh.  And somewhere along the way I made an artifact.  um...now, was it the bracelet or the figurine...
Alas, my year came to a close.  when I tried to pick the book up, it teleported itself away.
I didn't flicker.  It seemed this new body would be mine for some time to come...well.  maybe I should spend time and learn everybody's name.  And get people to stop calling me...oh, bother, I STILL can't pronounce it or remember it.  I need to get my named changed.  maybe by bugging whoever the next overseer is...

And apparently, I need to add something to the book. 

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Minecraft? Interesting...

Technic/Tekkit? FTB dude... it has Forestry.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Minecraft? Interesting...

Technic/Tekkit? FTB dude... it has Forestry.

Tekkit was, quite simply, available as a satellite server to the minecraft server I was playing on.  Besides, who needs forestry when you can swing a dark matter/red matter hatchet a few times to chop down entire redpower rubber trees? (the useless sort. ic rubber trees are usefull in comparison).   I intended to go play technich for thaumcraft's taint, but...it refused to even load. 

So...who's picked that book up, anyways?
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 167