Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Trolls and Ogres for embarks  (Read 6845 times)

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trolls and Ogres for embarks
« on: November 27, 2011, 08:11:16 pm »

As a side effect of making my modded race, I sometimes have access to both ogres and trolls as an embark "animal". I imagine they're pretty strong and all that, however their petvalue of 1 makes me a bit wary of ever using them... I mean, it kind of feels like cheating. What do you think bay12? Cheating to use them? I'm just curious on your views whilst I probably spend 10-15 minutes thinking out a starting embark, and end up tossing it out when I make some design choice I hate or something, hahaha.

(I suck ;_; )

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trolls and Ogres for embarks
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 08:13:40 pm »

Maybe just pretend they cost like... 500 and buy them last?

EDIT: As usual, there is no cheating in a single player sandbox game. If DF was multiplayer, and I was involved in this somehow (theoretically of course) I wouldn't consider it fair.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 08:16:35 pm by tommy521 »

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 08:16:20 pm »

You could stick a higher petvalue on them next time.  IIRC, they only have a value of 1 because they don't have one listed to begin with.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 08:19:46 pm »

Maybe just pretend they cost like... 500 and buy them last?

EDIT: As usual, there is no cheating in a single player sandbox game. If DF was multiplayer, and I was involved in this somehow (theoretically of course) I wouldn't consider it fair.

Well true there is technically no cheating in DF (I guess unless you hack it, but...). I generally just use "cheat" when I mean you're doing something Toady didn't expect. Such as it wasn't intended to have trolls/ogres at embark.

vonFaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 08:34:30 pm »

Just allow a limit. It's not like you'd be able to breed them later, right? Or very rare at least? So only allow 1 male, and one female; if one dies, too bad.
That incident was really what clued me in to the depth this game can offer, though that one time I made a fort of 150 dwarves suspended over a gorge and cut it all loose was pretty fun too.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 09:04:20 pm »

As a side effect of making my modded race, I sometimes have access to both ogres and trolls as an embark "animal". I imagine they're pretty strong and all that, however their petvalue of 1 makes me a bit wary of ever using them... I mean, it kind of feels like cheating. What do you think bay12? Cheating to use them? I'm just curious on your views whilst I probably spend 10-15 minutes thinking out a starting embark, and end up tossing it out when I make some design choice I hate or something, hahaha.

(I suck ;_; )
Take a TON of them, just once, for the lulz.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 09:45:32 pm »

You could stick a higher petvalue on them next time.  IIRC, they only have a value of 1 because they don't have one listed to begin with.
This. If you're aware enough to make a modded race, you should know how to change the value attached, increasing it to  be on par with something roughly equivalent in terms of value. Like Sea Serpents.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 09:56:58 pm »

This. If you're aware enough to make a modded race, you should know how to change the value attached, increasing it to  be on par with something roughly equivalent in terms of value. Like Sea Serpents.
I have thought of doing this, it's just I'm not sure what pets an ogre or troll is really "on par" with. Any suggestions?

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 10:16:09 pm »

Well, trolls are slightly smaller than horses but can be sheared, so 200 to make them equal to horses makes sense. Since ogres are only really useful for fighting or for their meat, I'd go with 600, since they grow bigger than water buffalo quite quickly, and can be megabeast-sized after a couple of decades.

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 10:21:37 pm »

Additionally, neither trolls nor ogres have a GRAZER tag, so you'd probably want to increase their value even more, unless you added a grazer value.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 10:27:06 pm »

By the way, embark price is equal to (petvalue\2)+1. For instance, a troll with a petvalue of 500 would have an embark price of 251.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 12:54:32 am »

I like to remove petvalues from everything so I can embark with whole armies of giant cave crocodiles and other vicious beasties.

I think that it's balanced out because I've added so many modded things to my world that there are no biomes that don't have at least a dozen species of high-population acid-spitting amphibious dragons just waiting for me to embark.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 01:10:50 am »

I like to remove petvalues from everything so I can embark with whole armies of giant cave crocodiles and other vicious beasties.

I think that it's balanced out because I've added so many modded things to my world that there are no biomes that don't have at least a dozen species of high-population acid-spitting amphibious dragons just waiting for me to embark.

Are you in Skyrim or something? Dragons everywhere!

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 01:55:05 am »

I just love dragons, so I'm always adding more.  And grabbing ones I see on the mod forums.  My worlds have a lot of dragons in. 

And they all want to eat my dwarves.  It's an acceptable setback to having dragons everywhere.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

dragoncurse

• Bay Watcher
  • if patience.Huge = fortress.FUN.Huge
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 03:00:04 am »

Are ogres and trolls useful for dwarves?

‼SCIENCE‼ TIME
:3
Pages: [1] 2 3