Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civilian Uniforms and other such things  (Read 990 times)

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
Civilian Uniforms and other such things
« on: December 02, 2011, 01:35:10 pm »

I was just wondering if there a way to give your civilians a uniform or dress code without drafting them all into the military to do so? I found that if the dwarf was in the middle of a civilian job when appointed to a squad they tend to ignore "Replace With" uniform designations. This results in some of my dwarves in the approved uniform and the others decked out in all manner of random attire. which is mighty annoying having the Expedition leader and voice of the story not following his own world views(I am working on a community fort).

If there isn't a way to apply civilian uniforms is there a way to remove the unwanted clothing from dwarves to make room for their uniforms?

Additional point of discussion: Do you use Civilian uniforms in your forts? If so why and what are they?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:36:48 pm by Bloogonis »

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilian Uniforms and other such things
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 01:54:50 pm »

I don't believe there's a way to do it without putting them in squads. On the other hand, merely putting them in squads with a uniform assigned and leaving them inactive does indeed seem to do the trick. If I remember right you have to activate them once so they'll skivvy down and put on their uniforms, but then you can deactivate them (using the "inactive = uniformed" default option) and they'll do the right thing.

I only experimented with the technique once, though, for two reasons. First, it's been quite a while since I had a fort live long enough for embark clothing to start to rot away, and second, I was completely unable to crack the problem of being unable to keep track of which squads had civilians in them and which were real military. Absentmindedly dispatching my squad of wood burners, lye makers and soap makers to deal with a greenskin ambush and not realizing it until all the pretty purple messages came in put me in the mind that I'd created a larger problem than I'd solved.

So for me, I'm basically ignoring the problem until clothing gets fixed in a future version (fingers crossed), and making shameless and judicious use of the dfhack clean and cleanowned "cheats". It's by far the part of the game I'm least happy with, but I mean … come on. Last night I had my squad leader axedwarf take two bowgob arrows to the upper arms and lop off the head of the offending greenskin with one stroke, achieve axe lord status at that moment, name his axe and then immediately take it to the barracks and go to bed with it. Quibbling over socks strikes me as unappreciatively petty.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 02:35:34 pm »

Inactive dwarves will pick up their uniforms, but it's possible that dwarves in the middle of something else are unable to claim items and therefore either get an item that should be for a lower-priority dwarf or no item at all. Activating each squad in turn before setting their uniform would put them all on the same page, and having enough items for everybody means that only quality levels will be affected.

I put military in squads of 3 and civilians in squads of 10, and keep the military squads at the top of the list. You can alter the equipment priority of each squad, but unfortunately this doesn't change the order in the squad list.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 03:29:56 pm »

Don't civilian uniforms, if composed of cloth and leather garments, still wear away?  Other than preventing dwarves from walking through syndrome puddles barefoot, is there any point to keeping them clothed?

I never really liked this part of the game.  Why does clothing have to deteriorate over time?  I mean, I could understand if it gets ripped up in a fight, or in a cave in, or melts away after getting some syndrome on it....but magically falling to pieces every so many years?  That's just annoying.  I don't like the textile industry, and I don't like replacing hundreds of articles of clothing.  I don't find that fun or ‼fun‼ 

I prefer to just let the little grimy drunks wander about in the nude.  It doesn't bother them, and it doesn't bother me.